The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Daredevil

View Poll Results: If Nelson & Murdock reopens, should Karen Page come back to work for N&M or not?
Yes, she should come back to Nelson & Murdock 0 0%
No, she should stay at the Bulletin and someone else can take her place as the firm's secretary 2 100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
dmcreif
Side-Kick

Default If Nelson and Murdock reopens in Daredevil season 3...

Should Karen rejoin the firm as Matt and Foggy's office manager/secretary, or should someone new take her place? It's a complicated question because on the one hand, the Bulletin job is great for someone of Karen's skills, but I also can't imagine a Nelson & Murdock without Karen.

Last edited by dmcreif; 12-05-2017 at 12:33 AM.
dmcreif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:29 PM   #2
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Default Re: If Nelson and Murdock reopens in Daredevil season 3...

Yes/no. Her returning is fine. As their secretary, no. Pretending she's only good enough for that is disrespectful. If she returns, it needs to be as some position that acknowledges this. "On staff PI" maybe, for when they don't want to bother Jessica.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:33 AM   #3
dmcreif
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Yes/no. Her returning is fine. As their secretary, no. Pretending she's only good enough for that is disrespectful. If she returns, it needs to be as some position that acknowledges this. "On staff PI" maybe, for when they don't want to bother Jessica.
Office manager/secretary/accountant/everything Matt or Foggy don't have time to do?

Old 12-05-2017, 01:38 AM   #4
pixen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcreif View Post
Office manager/secretary/accountant/everything Matt or Foggy don't have time to do?
That's still a downgrade from what she's doing now. They can hire someone else to do that job.

pixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:19 AM   #5
dmcreif
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixen View Post
That's still a downgrade from what she's doing now. They can hire someone else to do that job.
Personally, I do think it is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, I don't think there's anyone who could match Karen in terms of running the office. But the journalism career is a good fit for someone as inquisitive as Karen, so I could also see why it would be considered a big step back for Karen to quit her journalism career and go back to Nelson & Murdock unless something drastic happened that convinced her that leaving the Bulletin would be the right thing to do. So obviously using her journalism strengths would be a more logical choice than backpedaling her career just to maintain a status quo. Or (unlikely), Karen comes back part-time until they can find a permanent replacement for her / she interviews potential replacement candidates. (Plus the power imbalance that would come from Matt and Karen dating, since I'm pretty certain Matt/Karen will be the romantic pairing for Matt during season 3)

And yet, Nelson, Murdock & Page working together is such an iconic trio that I think it'd be impossible for us to get used to anything else (I'm still kinda bitter that The Defenders didn't give us any scene of Matt, Karen and Foggy all on-camera at once; we got Matt-Karen, Matt-Foggy, and Foggy-Karen). And this impossibility to get used to anything different is key. So even if Nelson & Murdock does get back together after everything that's happened since The Defenders, what would we expect them to do, just hire another receptionist? Or just reopen with no receptionist/secretary/whatever at all? Because like I said in my "Was dissolving Nelson & Murdock the right thing?" thread (you'll see that I did borrow a lot of my old points from that thread), although there is such a thing as journalists who hold down two jobs, Karen does not seem like the kind who'd work full-time for the Bulletin and also have a part-time job at Nelson & Murdock, or full-time at Nelson & Murdock while also writing part-time for the Bulletin.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:41 AM   #6
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Keep Karen at The Bulletin. We got used to NOT seeing the iconic trio working together over the course of DD2 and Defenders. I think, like it or not, that the makers of DD on Netflix have decided not to pursue Karen's path as it was laid out in the comics and I think getting Karen out of being a non-Lawyer at a law firm is part of that.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.

http://www.tobecontinuedafanboypodcast.com/ TBC'S JUSTICE LEAGUE SPOILER REVIEW.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:21 AM   #7
pixen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcreif View Post
Personally, I do think it is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, I don't think there's anyone who could match Karen in terms of running the office. But the journalism career is a good fit for someone as inquisitive as Karen, so I could also see why it would be considered a big step back for Karen to quit her journalism career and go back to Nelson & Murdock unless something drastic happened that convinced her that leaving the Bulletin would be the right thing to do. So obviously using her journalism strengths would be a more logical choice than backpedaling her career just to maintain a status quo. Or (unlikely), Karen comes back part-time until they can find a permanent replacement for her / she interviews potential replacement candidates. (Plus the power imbalance that would come from Matt and Karen dating, since I'm pretty certain Matt/Karen will be the romantic pairing for Matt during season 3)

And yet, Nelson, Murdock & Page working together is such an iconic trio that I think it'd be impossible for us to get used to anything else (I'm still kinda bitter that The Defenders didn't give us any scene of Matt, Karen and Foggy all on-camera at once; we got Matt-Karen, Matt-Foggy, and Foggy-Karen). And this impossibility to get used to anything different is key. So even if Nelson & Murdock does get back together after everything that's happened since The Defenders, what would we expect them to do, just hire another receptionist? Or just reopen with no receptionist/secretary/whatever at all? Because like I said in my "Was dissolving Nelson & Murdock the right thing?" thread (you'll see that I did borrow a lot of my old points from that thread), although there is such a thing as journalists who hold down two jobs, Karen does not seem like the kind who'd work full-time for the Bulletin and also have a part-time job at Nelson & Murdock, or full-time at Nelson & Murdock while also writing part-time for the Bulletin.
Oh my... I love that you can't even imagine her staying at a job that doesn't involve Matt or Foggy. She can still be friends and see them while also being at the paper. She could also be helping them out by providing sources for either lawyer.

And yes, if Nelson and Murdock happen to get back together, they can find another receptionist. What sort of universe is this? Is Karen the only receptionist in NYC?

pixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:28 PM   #8
dmcreif
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixen View Post
Oh my... I love that you can't even imagine her staying at a job that doesn't involve Matt or Foggy. She can still be friends and see them while also being at the paper. She could also be helping them out by providing sources for either lawyer.

And yes, if Nelson and Murdock happen to get back together, they can find another receptionist. What sort of universe is this? Is Karen the only receptionist in NYC?
Like I said, the image of Matt, Foggy, and Karen operating as a unit/Dream Team at Nelson and Murdock is very iconic. And who’s to say that it won’t happen? I think whether or not Karen comes back to Nelson & Murdock depends on how her career at the Bulletin pans out. There's no way Karen would voluntarily walk away from her reporter job at the Bulletin, not unless she was certain it was the right thing to do. Although I can say I imagine scenarios where Karen gets involuntarily forced out of her reporter job by the machinations of a certain enemy who wants her dead.

Of course, the bigger issue at stake is probably that Karen needs to come clean with Matt and Foggy about killing Wesley. And how will Matt and Foggy react to THAT?