The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 11:38 PM   #401
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
I do work in marketing, along with a few other people here who've repeatedly tried to explain how this works the way it does.

Please trust us, and we mean this in the kindest possible way, that you have no idea what you're talking about.

You do need marketing research to claim that an ad would give a film a $10 million boost. You can't just pull that number out of thin air. You need actual proof to back that up.

You can't just assume "they won't go bankrupt" by spending $4 million on an ad. That's $4 million. You don't throw that around like pocket change. That's not how budgeting works.
Okay since you work in marketing. Please tell Disney/Sony/Paramount that they wasted their money for buying a Super Bowl ad spot.

X-Men Begin (2022) • X-Men Here We Go Again (2024) • Avengers v X-Men (2025)

X-Men Revolution (2026) • X-Men Legacy (2028) • Uncanny Avengers (2028) • X-Men Order of the Phoenix (2030)
Old 02-02-2014, 11:39 PM   #402
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJediHero View Post
God, I want to goto sleep, but LAST comment I swear.

Some of you are just not realizing there are tons of people out there in this world who are not like you, me they don't come to these forums, boards everyday, nor do they check movie news website daily either.

Everybody can be interested in something, but they have to be aware of something that is very awesome first. You have to raise awareness for them to know that it's something they could be interested.
You know this isn't the last advertising opportunity ever, right? We've got four months left, with a trailer on the horizon and countless avenues to promote to.

”We live in times when hate and fear seem stronger. We rise and fall, and light from dying embers: remembrances that hope and love last longer. And love is love is love is love is love is love is love cannot be killed or swept aside."
Old 02-02-2014, 11:39 PM   #403
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Okay since you work in marketing. Please tell Disney/Sony/Paramount that they wasted their money for buying a Super Bowl ad spot.
I'll send them an email right away.

”We live in times when hate and fear seem stronger. We rise and fall, and light from dying embers: remembrances that hope and love last longer. And love is love is love is love is love is love is love cannot be killed or swept aside."
Old 02-02-2014, 11:42 PM   #404
JP
Smelly

Quote:

Some of you are just not realizing there are tons of people out there in this world who are not like you, me they don't come to these forums, boards everyday, nor do they check movie news website daily either.

Everybody can be interested in something, but they have to be aware of something that is very awesome first. You have to raise awareness for them to know that it's something they could be interested.

Not saying they will definitely be interested, but they 'could', could is the keyword.

If advertising agents are neglecting this fact, that's what's the sad.
And that's why social media has played such a huge role in this films marketing and pretty much every film/tv show/music marketing campaign.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:42 PM   #405
EnDz0n3
Marvel Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
I don't think Avatar had a Super Bowl spot..
In fairness, Avatar wasn't going to be released in 3 months. It had 10 months til its release date.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:46 PM   #406
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:

Again, do YOU work in marketing? What gives you the right to speak for all these other people that are "not like us"? Do you have some awesome power that you can read the minds of all the other non-geeks on the planet?

Everyone here realizes that everyone out there is different. What you don't seem to realize is that the industry is changing and those that actually do the work in it know this and realize that one single spot at the super bowl does not matter any more in the grand scheme of things.

Think of it this way. Spend 4 mil on one 30 second spot that may or may not be seen by people who have to catch it at just the right time to know about it, or save that money and spend it on dozens of other ways of marketing that could reach just as many if not more people through somewhat cheaper but no less effective ways that could also be played or done multiple times and reach that many more people? The answer should be obvious.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:47 PM   #407
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Quote:

Not saying they will definitely be interested, but they 'could', could is the keyword.

In my opinion, FOX should just go all out with promoting this movie. They had an opportunity to showcase a 30second clip of their biggest/most expensive movie this year to 100 million viewers in America.

I know we live in the 21st century now but there's still a lot of people out there, who wouldn't click an article about DOFP when they see it on a news website, there's people that wouldn't care if DOFP is trending on twitter. And what about those people who don't use the internet except for work and e-mails.

A super bowl ad would probably increase attention/awareness to the people who are not looking forward or anticipating DOFP. And who knows, they might watch the movie after all.

X-Men Revolution (2026) • X-Men Legacy (2028) • Uncanny Avengers (2028) • X-Men Order of the Phoenix (2030)
Old 02-02-2014, 11:50 PM   #408
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
Yes, because everyone who works in marketing automatically is able to just reach out and talk to each other so easily.

Just like every member of every other sub-group out there knows each other from the "meetings."

Old 02-02-2014, 11:50 PM   #409
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
In my opinion, FOX should just go all out with promoting this movie. They had an opportunity to showcase a 30second clip of their biggest/most expensive movie this year to 100 million viewers in America.

I know we live in the 21st century now but there's still a lot of people out there, who wouldn't click an article about DOFP when they see it on a news website, there's people that wouldn't care if DOFP is trending on twitter. And what about those people who don't use the internet except for work and e-mails.

A super bowl ad would probably increase attention/awareness to the people who are not looking forward or anticipating DOFP. And who knows, they might watch the movie after all.
And now it's all over. RIP, DOFP.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:51 PM   #410
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Like as if that is what I meant, I can't believe that you're a mod and you talk to people like that.

Quote:
I'll send them an email right away.
Make sure you send it to their marketing department and tell how wrong they are and don't forget to tell them that you know this because you work in marketing.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:51 PM   #411
JP
Smelly

Quote:

That's kind of what posters/bus shelters/billboards/banners/regular tv spots already do...

And there's a reason why all those things don't hit until 2 months (or less) before the film comes out.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:52 PM   #412
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter313 View Post
Yes, because everyone who works in marketing automatically is able to just reach out and talk to each other so easily.

Just like every member of every other sub-group out there knows each other from the "meetings."
It's the secret handshakes.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:53 PM   #413
jignat
Side-Kick

Regardless of marketing, I hope the next trailer will show some big spectacle.
The Cap 2 trailer was pretty good, and even if DOFP is good, I feel like a lot of comic fanboys are underestimating it due to the mixed Empire reaction.

Singer, time to go big!

Old 02-02-2014, 11:55 PM   #414
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Like as if that is what I meant, I can't believe that you're a mod and you talk to people like that.
I can't believe you don't think you need research to claim a Super Bowl ad would give a $10 million box office boost and that any company would shrug off $4 million.

Quote:
Make sure you send it to their marketing department and tell how wrong they are and don't forget to tell them that you know this because you work in marketing.
They already know that, it's on my name tag.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:01 AM   #415
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Quote:
I can't believe you don't think you need research to claim a Super Bowl ad would give a $10 million box office boost and that any company would shrug off $4 million.
Thats just what I think though right now, but if I working on Fox's marketing department, I would definitely do studies and researches and give them more proof/reasons why a Super Bowl could help the film to earn more money. And I didn't say "they don't need research to claim a Super Bowl", once again you are putting words into my mouth.

You just sounds very condescending right now especially with this "I work in a marketing and you don't". For a mod, I just expected better attitude. I have had conversations with you before in this board and you always had this negative attitude.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:11 AM   #416
TWayneP
Side-Kick

Welp, This thread has been an interesting read lol! My view, DOFP doesn't need a Super Bowl spot. I never thought it did. The x-men films have been around for long enough I feel, that it doesn't need the increased awareness. Sure it would have been cool to get one, but sheesh. Wolverine was just last summer. The movie will do gangbusters either way, I'm sure marketing will amp up in the next few months.

Hugh was on the Pregame show, that's good enough right there.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:15 AM   #417
craigdbfan
Banned User

Quote:
Thats just what I think though right now, but if I working on Fox's marketing department, I would definitely do studies and researches and give them more proof/reasons why a Super Bowl could help the film to earn more money. And I didn't say "they don't need research to claim a Super Bowl", once again you are putting words into my mouth.

You just sounds very condescending right now especially with this "I work in a marketing and you don't". For a mod, I just expected better attitude. I have had conversations with you before in this board and you always had this negative attitude.
I think you've said your piece clear enough. No reason to start throwing allegations.

You don't work for Fox marketing so complaining about a smart move on Fox part doesn't seem very fruitful now does it?

Old 02-03-2014, 12:17 AM   #418
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Except that is what you said:

Quote:
I don't have to work in a marketing department or whatever and I also don't need to marketing research to back up my opinion. But Fox had a lot of movies that underperformed in the past but that didn't stop them to make movies.
The fact is you do need to do your research and understand how budgeting works to make the kind of claims you're making. Your opinion may be that's what you think will happen, but without the research to back it up, there's no way to know that definitively. That's just how it works.

Quote:
I told you at the start of this conversation that we're trying to put this in the nicest possible way that you didn't know what you were talking about, and we've tried to explain how these things work in real life so you could understand it better. You've decided on insisting that your points were right anyway, so the responses got sillier as the conversation continued as it became clear that you weren't going to listen.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:21 AM   #419
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richi39 View Post
I hope so...

I posted this in Iceman post, I made it for fun:

Hope we will see Bobby in full ice form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasjan View Post
As I remember he has sleeves, so only full ice face, clothes should be frozen as in X3.
I really like this manip, I really like effect on his skin and the hair. It looks much better than in X3.

I don't know if the clothes should be frozen, but they will probably be. The frozen effect to the clothes should be there just because of Iceman's temperature.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:29 AM   #420
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

The movie does need good marketing to do gangbusters actually because none of the previous X-films have exactly been record breakers but it doesn't need a Superbowl spot.

I went through this Superbowl spot song and dance last year and eventually came to the conclusion other posters were trying to get me to come to, Superbowl spots aren't incredibly important anymore. Fox just needs to worry about stopping the bleeding and increasing the audience in North America. They probably don't need to really start marketing the film this early but they do need to mount a better marketing effort than they did with First Class and The Wolverine.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:29 AM   #421
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Showing a 30 second trailer now, months before the movies release is going to be forgotten by everyone in a week. Out of the 3 people I saw (who i know personally and follow) tweet about the movies that were showcased today, and the 100 or so that I know watched the Super Bowl itself I would honestly say maybe, maybe, 5 of those general audience members I know would have gone online to see the full trailers.

General audience members see trailers when they go to the movies mostly, and other than that its the TV spots closer to a movies actual release that catches their attention. I for one, never even watch a trailer outside of CBM movies, if it looks good on a TV commercial like a month before release or it has actors I like then I'll probably check it out in theaters.

Not having a Super Bowl spot really means very little. The people who saw the transformers/cap/Spidey trailers and are excited are the same people that if they saw it on TV closer to release would act the same way. General people are going to forget about all 3 of those 30 seconds by the end of the week and will only remember them a month before the movie comes out when they see another commercial or see the trailer again in a movie theater.

I don't think putting anything out now for a movie months away, in the Super Bowl or not, is drumming up any more interest or grabbing all these random souls that weren't considering it before. They'll act the same way or be the same amount interested if try see it now or in a few months on TV.

But that's just how I see this whole scenario. Would it have been cool to see a trailer, of course, but at this point it's not effecting the general public. As others have stated above, the marketing for this film has been really well executed. They took over the Internet for 24 freaking hours, the people who watched the Super Bowl and engage in social media saw all that buzz.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )

Last edited by mkilban2; 02-03-2014 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:33 AM   #422
A Dollar Short
Side-Kick

Since John Carter and Lone Ranger also had spots that ran during prime time and cable shows, I guess DOFP should avoid repeating the same mistake because they won't guarantee high box-office numbers. While they're at it, might as well cancel all marketing.

A SB spot is far and away the end all be all, but I think it would be foolish to discredit it. Obviously Disney, Sony, and a few dozen other companies thought it was relevant enough to spend millions of dollars tonight. I mean this in the kindest way possible, but I would rather put my trust in them.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:39 AM   #423
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

The way I see those two being mentioned is that Lone Ranger is an outdated concept and John Carter is some weird alien gladiator thing. Neither really rings true to me as a general audience interest. I tend to see myself as a general audience member because before the MCU I've never had any interest in any of these characters, no one I know in my personal life circles are comic readers, so I tend to side with that majority. If I see something that looks super silly from the get go (John Carter) no matter where I saw it, it's getting no attention from me.

If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
Old 02-03-2014, 01:01 AM   #424
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

... I seem to have killed the thread.

RIP DoFP, we hardly knew ye.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:04 AM   #425
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Dollar Short View Post
Since John Carter and Lone Ranger also had spots that ran during prime time and cable shows, I guess DOFP should avoid repeating the same mistake because they won't guarantee high box-office numbers. While they're at it, might as well cancel all marketing.

A SB spot is far and away the end all be all, but I think it would be foolish to discredit it. Obviously Disney, Sony, and a few dozen other companies thought it was relevant enough to spend millions of dollars tonight. I mean this in the kindest way possible, but I would rather put my trust in them.
I agree with you!

Closed Thread