The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Old 03-27-2014, 06:24 AM   #101
Havok83
Side-Kick

Default Re: Shenmue 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hill View Post
Yes. It was the first to do a lot of things. I never got around to playing the second one. That was just for the original xbox, right?
No it wasn't. Dragons Lair back in 1983 was

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:44 PM   #102
The Hill
Frat House Member

Ok... you're right. Shenmue was the first to make it a 'thing'.

Backtracking is the basis of all gameplay. Only a fool wouldn't recycle assets to lengthen gameplay
The Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:40 PM   #103
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Yea Yu Suzuki coined the term Quick Timer Event, so saying QTE's started with Shenmue isn't technically wrong, even tho the mechanic had been around before.

ProjectPat2280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #104
Havok83
Side-Kick

Shenmue wasn't even the first "modern" game to feature them. Sega's previous game, Die Hard Arcade" (which Suzuki also worked on) for the Sega Saturn in 1996 reintroduced them after they went on hiatus following the mid 80s

Last edited by Havok83; 03-27-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:14 PM   #105
Soapy
Side-Kick

Yu Suzuki was giving a presentation at a Japanese games convention and, well...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #106
zenith16
Side-Kick

yep it was expected we'll see what happens

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #107
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
Yu Suzuki was giving a presentation at a Japanese games convention and, well...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

It cant be....can it?

Old 06-27-2014, 01:29 PM   #108
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

Please don't be a hoax...please don't be a hoax.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #109
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Oh god...don't toy with my emotions...

ChrisBaleBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #110
zenith16
Side-Kick

Hopfully it's true . I think he's finally been convinced

Old 06-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #111
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

IF this is legit news towards Shenmue 3, Id love for them to release the other 2. Iv still got my Dreamcast and Shenmue, but don't have my Xbox and Shenmue 2.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #112
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Was it ever about convincing Yu Suzuki, though? My impression has always been that he's always wanted to do it, but could never find a way to finance it.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #113
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBaleBatman View Post
Was it ever about convincing Yu Suzuki, though? My impression has always been that he's always wanted to do it, but could never find a way to finance it.
yep it was I put up the post a pae over ad more so did others ad there was some talk with with game informer o other ip's like David cage's. he was very in the iffy department. well he was iffy on doing it him self with kickstarter any way.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:13 PM   #114
Poetic Chaos
Hella fetch.

An HD collection with 1&2 would almost be necessity for this considering how few have played them.

Poetic Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #115
Soapy
Side-Kick

There were some reports that Sega actually already made a Shenmue 1&2 HD collection, but for some boneheaded reason never released it.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:49 PM   #116
DrDoom
Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Chaos View Post
An HD collection with 1&2 would almost be necessity for this considering how few have played them.
This, I loved the first two but it's been AGES since I've played them

"Please, no human can hold such power"

"You're WRONG!"....."ONE can"
DrDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #117
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
There were some reports that Sega actually already made a Shenmue 1&2 HD collection, but for some boneheaded reason never released it.
I don't believe it. The company isn't going to go through the hassle and money to port the game over and not release it. That's literally throwing money away. Im sure that amounted to an unfounded rumor

Old 06-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #118
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
I don't believe it. The company isn't going to go through the hassle and money to port the game over and not release it. That's literally throwing money away. Im sure that amounted to an unfounded rumor
I buy that there is more to the rumor, but I can imagine Sega doing something dumb with the re-releases on XBL and PSN. I've been a Sega fanboy since I was a kid, and it sucks seeing how they shoot themselves in the foot too many times. I'm scared to buy that Console Wars book because I don't know if I can handle the high amount of facepalm from reading all the supposed dumb crap that Sega of Japan kept doing to stop Sega of America's good gains.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #119
DrDoom
Dictator

Quote:
Wouldn't be unheard of for a company to start a project only to come to the conclusion that their loss would be greater completing it than just dropping it at the halfway point

"Please, no human can hold such power"

"You're WRONG!"....."ONE can"
DrDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:30 PM   #120
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Wouldn't be unheard of for a company to start a project only to come to the conclusion that their loss would be greater completing it than just dropping it at the halfway point
the rumor was that they completed the game, not started it and abandoned it. I can believe them talking about it and maybe even starting it but to go through all the trouble of actually finishing it and not releasing it makes no sense. Besides, it was a port, not an original title, so the overheard on that would have been minimal with little loss especially since it likely would have been a digital title. Putting it on the market would have made them some money. Not releasing it definetly earned them none

Old 06-15-2015, 08:53 PM   #121
Havok83
Side-Kick

Its officially happening!

Old 06-15-2015, 08:56 PM   #122
zenith16
Side-Kick

PlayStation 4, PC
Yu Suzuki Kickstarting Shenmue III for PS4, PC

Published 1 min ago. 0 comments.

Quote:

Shenmue creator Yu Suzuki is taking to Kickstarter to create Shemue 3 for PlayStation 4 and PC.
The Kickstarter is seeking $2 million in funding, Kickstarter campaign to build Shenmue III for PlayStation 4 and PC at Sony’s E3 2015 press conference. The Kickstarter campaign is seeking $2 million. The game is being built in Unreal Engine 4 and will have familiar elements from its predecessors, as well as new fight mechanics. Suzuki promises a Shenmue experience “that will draw in newcomers to the series and reward diehard fans with its deep story and rich gameplay.”
Here’s a brief story synopsis:
Where we left off… Ryo Hazuki has made his way to China in search of his father’s killer. There he meets a new travelling companion, Shenhua, and learns of a legend from her village that has foretold their path together.
The story continues as Ryo and Shenhua start off on a new journey that will take them farther into enemy territory, deeper into mystery, and ever closer to their destiny.
Will the mystery of the mirrors be revealed? How is Ryo’s father connected to all of this? Will Ryo track down the Chi You Men cartel and face Lan Di in a final showdown?

“It’s not a spin-off, but a sequel to one and two. So we can continue the story.”
Visit the Kickstarter here.

Read More

PC, PlayStation 4, E3 2015, Kickstarter, Sega, Shenmue III, Yu Suzuki
More on this just put up High lit in red below

Shenmue 3 Announced For PlayStation 4 and PC, To Be Funded Through Kickstarter. June 15, 2015 . 7:00pm

Shenmue 3 was announced during Sony’s E3 press conference, where they revealed that Yu Suzuki is producing and directing the next game in the series, and it will be funded via Kickstarter.
Quote:

Shenmue 3 was announced during Sony’s E3 press conference, where they revealed that Yu Suzuki is producing and directing the next game in the series, and it will be funded via Kickstarter.

Here’s a message written for fans and future backers on the Kickstarter page for the game:
Since the release of Shenmue 2, now 14 years ago, I have been greeted by the passionate outpouring of dedicated fans and Shenmue community members wherever I go. They all want to know one thing: “When will Shenmue 3 be coming out?” With the advent of games using Kickstarter during these past few years, the new and now frequent demand from the fans has been, “Do a Kickstarter for Shenmue 3!”

If Shenmue 3 was going to get made, I wanted to make it with the fans. Through Kickstarter, I knew that could happen. Together, with Shenmue fans everywhere, I knew we could build the game that the series deserves.

If we do not reach our funding goal, Shenmue 3 will not go forward. I know that the goal of making Shenmue 3 with the fans, and seeing Shenmue in the hands of gamers all around the world is a lofty one. We are balancing our ambitions for a grand sequel with the pragmatic realities of developing a game of this scale. It will not be easy, but I have dreamed of making this sequel for 14 years – it is time to bring Shenmue back! And to make it come true, it will need the love and support from each and every one of you!

So please join us in making Shenmue 3 – let us grow our community and build a new, exciting Shenmue experience!
You can get a look at some more screenshots and details on the Kickstarter page.

Read more stories about E3 2015 & PC & PlayStation 4 & Shenmue 3 on Siliconera.
source: Gematsu& Siliconera

Last edited by zenith16; 06-15-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:55 PM   #123
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:37 PM   #124
Havok83
Side-Kick

Hold up. It just hit me. So this is an independent project? Why is SEGA not publishing this thing? Its so odd that its a Kickstarter project bc isnt this an IP they still own? Kickstarter is usually for Indie developers without a publisher to back them

Old 06-16-2015, 12:11 AM   #125
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Quote:
Hold up. It just hit me. So this is an independent project? Why is SEGA not publishing this thing? Its so odd that its a Kickstarter project bc isnt this an IP they still own? Kickstarter is usually for Indie developers without a publisher to back them
Well, I mean...the problem has always been that nobody wants to put forth the money that's needed to make the game.

I'm assuming that Suzuki has worked out a deal with Sony to get a portion of it from Kickstarter, and then if they get that portion Sony will put the rest in that's needed. Atleast, that's been the deal I've heard for some other games.

Anytime a BIG name uses Kickstarter, I think there's understandable sideways look over it. I remember that happened with the new Archie comic relaunch that the publisher, and not and Indie Cartoonist or Writer. That one was different, I think. But, really...the problem has always been that Suzuki couldn't get anyone to put the money on it. Atleast, that's always been my understanding.