The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > The Walking Dead & Fear The Walking Dead

Old 09-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Default Why do you think this show gets so much hate?

Elsewhere on the interwebs, TWD gets nothing but slammed by people for being a horrible show. It's kind of become the go-to show to insult peoples intelligence over kinda like Michael Bay and Transformers is for movies. You don't like a certain show? Pffft, go watch TWD then. It's more your speed. You like TWD? Pffft, you must be an idiot.

Why do you think this is? It's not a perfect show, but it is a damn good one. It is a wonderfully intense portrayal of survival. These people aren't perfect and they make mistakes. That's the whole point. All the haters do is sit around say "They should have done this. Not that" Like they know exactly what they would do in this EXTREME situation. The haters throw the ever so lovely blanket statement around "Badly written" like it's some kind of catch-all criticism that is unchallenged. They don't even try to understand the psychology of the characters.

I honestly think a lot of the backlash this show gets is because of it's extreme popularity. I usually hate this argument, but I think it's a very valid one. It happens with almost everything these days. Especially big tent pole films. TDK/TDKR, Avatar, The Avengers, Abrams Trek...the bigger and more successful they are (all of these films were successful critically and commercially) the more internet hate they receive. I honestly think if TWD got middling ratings and was less known, it wouldn't get NEAR the amount of backlash.

I'm not saying people can't genuinely dislike the show-I'm saying the hollow, meaningless trolling of it is uncalled for.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
TheDreamMaster
The Night He Came Home...

Default Re: Why do you think this show gets so much hate?

To be honest, I don't think it keeps the pace of other shows. For example, Breaking Bad has slow episodes but almost every episode is good. TWD has some that just feel tedious and boring.
Another thing, comic fans sometimes tend to hate on the changes, and sometimes with good reason, others not so much.
And there's some people who genuinely don't like it. Some can't get into it, others have to make it known how awful they think it is. Its the internet, and everyone wants their opinion heard.

"She is a vampire bat!"
"Was the joke that bad?"
TheDreamMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreamMaster View Post
To be honest, I don't think it keeps the pace of other shows. For example, Breaking Bad has slow episodes but almost every episode is good. TWD has some that just feel tedious and boring.
Another thing, comic fans sometimes tend to hate on the changes, and sometimes with good reason, others not so much.
And there's some people who genuinely don't like it. Some can't get into it, others have to make it known how awful they think it is. Its the internet, and everyone wants their opinion heard.
Like I said, genuinely not liking it is one thing. Constantly posting on message boards with blanket statements like "This show sux. You're an idiot for liking it!" and crap like that is another all together. I personally, dislike Game of Thrones but I never lurk around it''s boards and post negative stuff for the sake of it. I watched some of it, didn't like it and stopped.

I guess I don't get troll mentality. Trolling a movie is one thing (still idiotic) because at least it's a time viewing. They see it and hate it and troll. But trolling a TV show? Why continually watch a show you hate week to week just to be an ******* on the internet? Does it really give people THAT much pathetic joy to riles some feathers? It literally makes zero freakin' sense to me.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
Soapy
Side-Kick

Difference of opinion isn't trolling.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
Difference of opinion isn't trolling.
No durr. Did you not read my two posts?

Old 09-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
Zatanna
Mistress of Magic

Where is the show getting hate? I must not be looking at the same places on the "interwebs".

Zatanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatanna View Post
Where is the show getting hate? I must not be looking at the same places on the "interwebs".
Me neither. The Walking Dead fans on another forum I read still love it, and people at work today were all talking about how they couldn't wait for it to come back next month.

”We live in times when hate and fear seem stronger. We rise and fall, and light from dying embers: remembrances that hope and love last longer. And love is love is love is love is love is love is love cannot be killed or swept aside."
danoyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
gkokujin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatanna View Post
where is the show getting hate? I must not be looking at the same places on the "interwebs".
+1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
gkokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatanna View Post
Yeah in fact I see way too much coverage for TWD with mags lke Entertainment Weekly putting out multiple covers of it's cast, I don't hate the show because I've never seen it I just hate all the hoopla it gets from basically what consitutes is a show about zombies.

A few of the Marvel Superheroes are somewhat niche characters that aren't extremely versatile, thus they don't have a lot of longevity potential. For example, Namor is a water guy, Silver Surfer is a space guy, Dr. Strange is a magic guy, and so on.
Mace Dolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
Teelie
Merc with a paintbrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
You don't become one of the biggest shows by not getting plenty of haters along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
Yeah in fact I see way too much coverage for TWD with mags lke Entertainment Weekly putting out multiple covers of it's cast, I don't hate the show because I've never seen it I just hate all the hoopla it gets from basically what consitutes is a show about zombies.
Both are valid points. There's a few shows I won't mention that get way too much exposure and put me off even watching them. Extreme hype and over discussion can be off putting to those who aren't fans.

I like TWD but I won't claim it's perfect and defend it blindly against criticism. I avoid bringing it up outside of relevant discussions too but that's just me. Other people I have seen do that with this and other shows and I can understand being tired of the exposure to it.

Teelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:43 AM   #11
Lantern Venom
Arrowverse needs Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
You might want to give it a try, because it really isn't a zombie show. It's a survival show where zombies are one threat among many. The strength of this show is its commentary on the human condition. If TWD tried to build a series with the usual, paper-thin characters in most zombie movies, it wouldn't have made it to season 2.

The Flash: The Greatest Super Hero TV Show of All-Time.

Venom: 5/4/07 = Humiliation. 10/5/18 = Redemption?

R.I.P. Vartha, The Mod of Thunder.

Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Probably some hell hole like IMDB.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
Zatanna
Mistress of Magic

I never ever visit IMDB for that very reason. So many trolls.

Zatanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #14
Piper Maru

The Walking Dead has it's flaws, but it's a damn fine show. Looking forward to it's return!

Piper Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #15
Brother Jack
Believer

The show can be frustrating for me because it can be much better than it is. It has the potential for greatness, to be true peers with shows like Breaking Bad, and it taps into that from time to time but unfortunately that makes everything seem worse by comparison.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #16
Evelisse
Exactly

the show is what it is, some humans trying to survive in a walker filled world. It's a hard concept to picture going 7 seasons. They obviously are doing their own thing while trying not to leap to far from the comics, and any further changes seem to bring more hate. Eventually everything just becomes rinse and repeat, walkers, bad humans, walkers, bad humans...etc. Unless somehow they decide to start talking a cure and a search for it, not much is going to change, no real end game. But so far the hate hasn't effected it's ratings much, seems to have new records every season, so I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

Evelisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #17
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelisse View Post
the show is what it is, some humans trying to survive in a walker filled world. It's a hard concept to picture going 7 seasons. They obviously are doing their own thing while trying not to leap to far from the comics, and any further changes seem to bring more hate. Eventually everything just becomes rinse and repeat, walkers, bad humans, walkers, bad humans...etc. Unless somehow they decide to start talking a cure and a search for it, not much is going to change, no real end game. But so far the hate hasn't effected it's ratings much, seems to have new records every season, so I'm enjoying it while it lasts.
I think this pretty much sums it up. Its difficult to continue in the vein. Its the same show as season one pretty much. Zombies attack, people do stupid things, bad people show up, a traitor appears. To me its a fun show but the dialogue between the zombie attacks seems to be mostly filler. Most of the characters have nothing interesting to say most of the time. But they do these scenes to fill up time.

insideguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #18
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Because it's popular.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:34 PM   #19
Brother Jack
Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Because it's popular.
Not everything that's this popular is criticized so much. A lot of things are but there are exceptions.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #20
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

I think it's because there's so much missed potential and it pales in comparison to AMC's other hits, aka Breaking Bad and Mad Men

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #21
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
I think it's because there's so much missed potential and it pales in comparison to AMC's other hits, aka Breaking Bad and Mad Men
I've seen a few others mention that it misses it's potential.

In what way??

I have a few friends on Facebook that said the show jumped the shark this season. They have no idea what they're talking about obviously.

I think a lot of these people are like my younger sister, they just want zombie killing and gore nonstop. That's why my sister won't watch the show...too much talking.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #22
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

I think the show has only dropped the ball with Andrea. Not because she was so different from her comic book counterpart but because she was just terribly written.

I think every season has been an improvement over the last. And I love season 2 myself. I adored the slow burn quality of it. It started off a little rocky but when it settled in 4 episodes in it became engrossing. I loved Shanes storyline.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #23
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
I've seen a few others mention that it misses it's potential.

In what way??

I have a few friends on Facebook that said the show jumped the shark this season. They have no idea what they're talking about obviously.

I think a lot of these people are like my younger sister, they just want zombie killing and gore nonstop. That's why my sister won't watch the show...too much talking.
The show is much more different now than it was in the fantastic Season One, with Frank "Shawshank" Darabont at the helm. I re-watched the pilot the other day and the cinematography, score and acting where all fantastic. The use of silence for much of the episode is greatly missed, imo.

Whenever a zombie(s) shows up I want to feel scared. Not, oh there's another zombie. When a character dies I want to feel sad. Not, oh, he or she is dead. Bummer. However thankfully it seems that Gimple is rectifying the previous mistakes and crafting a much more engaging story

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #24
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
The show is much more different now than it was in the fantastic Season One, with Frank "Shawshank" Darabont at the helm. I re-watched the pilot the other day and the cinematography, score and acting where all fantastic. The use of silence for much of the episode is greatly missed, imo.

Whenever a zombie(s) shows up I want to feel scared. Not, oh there's another zombie. When a character dies I want to feel sad. Not, oh, he or she is dead. Bummer. However thankfully it seems that Gimple is rectifying the previous mistakes and crafting a much more engaging story
I would agree with this. Season 1 was much better in terms of quality than the following seasons.

In addition to this, the biggest factor for me is simple:

The comic is better is almost every respect.

After season 2 of TWD, I started reading the comic book, and I realized why so many people were annoyed at the plodding pace of Season 2. There are very few changes I actually like more than what the comics did for this show. I could start listing specifics, but honestly, the list would just be too long. When it comes down to it, the biggest problem with the show vs. the comic are the stakes.

The comic was very much GOT-style in terms of it's storytelling. No one was safe from death, except Rick. Basically everyone was at risk of dying, it didn't matter how cool that character was or how much of a main player they were, they could, and would, die. The show hasn't had the balls to live up to that kind of storytelling yet. They got closer with the mid-season finale, but even then, if they were going to do the equivalent shock-value that the comic had for that moment, it wouldn't have been Herschel under the Governor's sword, it would have been Daryl. (Who is equivalent to the character that got offed in the comics for that moment).

When you adopt the "no one is safe" kindof story-telling, the fear is always there. And that is how you SHOULD feel with this kind of show. You should honestly be worried every time a character is in a dangerous situation. But because of how this show has been written, I'm not. In the comics I'm constantly at the edge of my seat. The show desperately needs that kind of tension.

That said, I still enjoy this show quite a bit. But after reading the comics, I'm much harsher in my assessment of it, because I've seen how amazing it could be.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:
http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #25
Lord
All Mighty

Thank Season 2, before that there were some lame aspects in the writting, like the graves digger who had a dream about the group receiving a big attack and most dieing, but Season 2 pushed it to another level, and some of the characters just started to get worse and worse.

Season 3 was mostly good though, except for Andrea's stupidity which lead to her death, and the Governor suddenly flipping and killing his followers, yet the most useful ones luckilly staying with him.

I'm with them trying to change the plot from the comics, the problem is that what they change is usually for the worst. As stated before the main problem with the show is that it has potencial to be extraordinary, but it decides to just be "ok".

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote