The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Superman Sequels

Old 11-26-2007, 10:55 PM   #301
Super Kal
Proud Conservative

Default Re: Kurtzman & Orci Writing Man of Steel?

I don't blame Singer for the leaving father incident... I blame Donner for thinking of it in the first place.

had it never been there, we wouldn't be talking about it right now

Old 11-26-2007, 10:58 PM   #302
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Donner came up with the idea? Did I miss something?

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:01 PM   #303
Super Kal
Proud Conservative

yep... In the Donner cut of Superman II, Superman sleeps with Lois...

Old 11-26-2007, 11:40 PM   #304
Showtime
Your Friend In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I believe the argument can be made for Superman being a deadbeat dad. Lets face it, he had sex with Lois, knowing what the consequences may be. Then assuming this is a sequel to SMII, he erased her memory and then left within a time span short enough to not know she was pregnant. Pretty damn irresponsible if you ask me.

If I have unprotected sex with a girl, get her pregnant, then cut off all contact with her and make it impossible for her to find me before I know she is pregnant, does that make me any less of a dead beat? Even if I come back into the picture 6 years later and take care of the kid?
Still doesn't fit the definition of a deadbeat dead. Sorry.

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:02 AM   #305
SuperDaniel
Banned User

I think the problem is not being an absent father. It is the fact that HE IS NOT Jasons`s father at all.

Richard raised him while Superman was on Krypton. So no matter how hard u overcome this, Richard will always be the father.

Unless they take the obvious route and kill so Superman can take over.

There lies a lot of problems and i think we`ll never know, hopefully.

SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:07 AM   #306
Nightwing1977
Want to see my mask??

I laugh at many saying Supes is a deadbeat dad. Does he even know Lois was preggy before he left? Did he even know Jason was his own son when he first met him? There is nothing in SR that show he is a deadbeat dad. If he was a deadbeat dad, he wouldn't visit Jason in his bedroom, would he?

Old 11-27-2007, 08:02 AM   #307
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs0268 View Post
First, here is a major clue. Film is Entertainment. That is it's whole purpose. To make money and entertain. That is it.
And that cheap reductionist and mercantilistic view of movies makes everything else goes wrong.

In those terms, a strip tease girl would be a great mvoie.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:33 AM   #308
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Richard raised him while Superman was on Krypton. So no matter how hard u overcome this, Richard will always be the father.
This is the point. They are parallelling what happened with Superman himself. Like his father's son was raised by the Kents, Superman's son will be raised by humans.

-Me
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:26 PM   #309
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

Quote:
Yep, beware
lol Congrats, you will be great...and since we are kinda buddies I can get away with anything...right?

I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:00 PM   #310
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
lol Congrats, you will be great...and since we are kinda buddies I can get away with anything...right?
Free reign for the haters

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:04 PM   #311
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

Quote:
Free reign for the haters
YES!! Thanks Matt.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:17 PM   #312
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
I believe the argument can be made for Superman being a deadbeat dad. Lets face it, he had sex with Lois, knowing what the consequences may be. Then assuming this is a sequel to SMII, he erased her memory and then left within a time span short enough to not know she was pregnant. Pretty damn irresponsible if you ask me.

If I have unprotected sex with a girl, get her pregnant, then cut off all contact with her and make it impossible for her to find me before I know she is pregnant, does that make me any less of a dead beat? Even if I come back into the picture 6 years later and take care of the kid?
How long have you been on these boards Matt? Seriously, Singer said in many interviews the love scene in Superman II was not in the continuity of SR.

In the SR continuity Superman and Lois just had a relationship previous to him leaving for Krypton which was nothing to do with the event of Superman II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
Still doesn't fit the definition of a deadbeat dead. Sorry.
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
This is the point. They are parallelling what happened with Superman himself. Like his father's son was raised by the Kents, Superman's son will be raised by humans.
Exactly again, The son has become the father, and now the story of Jor-El is finished and the story of Kal-El and Jason has begun.

1)A Quiet Place-9(2)Black Panther-9(3)The Shape of Water-8.5(4)Ready Player One-8(5)Tomb Raider-7(6)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:53 PM   #313
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

I still don't agree that he was a deadbeat dad but to each his/her own.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:27 PM   #314
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I dont like it..Lois has to be with Superman and Richard shouldn`t have existed in the first place...Jason is Superman`s son.

The whole movie is a mess.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:15 PM   #315
mego joe
Side-Kick

I think the whole technical definition of 'deadbeat dad' is getting in the way.

He's an absentee father that showed no responsibility to the woman he was having sex with nor the potential fruits of that sexual union. It's not the technical definition of 'deadbeat dad,' but the spirit of the term certainly does seem to apply to the situation.

And it doesn't matter what he does when he comes back and finds out the truth, the problem was that he was so irresponsible and cared so little about the situation to begin with when he left w/o telling Lois goodbye.

If you don't like 'deadbeat dad' try the term jerk, loser or a-hole. They all fit the spirit of the situation as well.

mego joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #316
SuperDaniel
Banned User

I think most of the fans who liked SR were so pleased to see Superman on screen that totally forgot about quality of the writing. How is it possible for people to ignore such HUGE mistakes with the character of Superman is beyond me.

Spider-man 3 was a **** movie and there`s still people who lked....Holy crap...

At least time will tell.. and it did. The writers are gone.

Superman will leave on, no matter how long people piss on him...

Old 11-27-2007, 04:25 PM   #317
nintendo nerd
Banned User

Sigh....Another hater who thinks his opinion is the only one that matters.

Just because you didn't like the movie doesn't mean it lacks quality. You have all the right to dislike SR but don't say the people that liked it didn't care about the quality of the film and were desperate to see Superman on screen.

Why do all the spider - man fans come to troll in here? You have alot of things to complaint about Spidey 3.

Mistakes?

I saw Superman saving the day by the end of the movie. Heck, he was going to sacrifice himself to save the Earth.

He was happy and proud when he found out he was a father, just like Superman would react.

There was Jimmy Olsen in character. Perry White in character. Lois Lane in character although I admit she looked quiet young. Metropolis looked like Metropolis. Superman looked and acted like Superman. Lex Luthor was more serious than the campy Hackman.

Last edited by nintendo nerd; 11-27-2007 at 04:31 PM.
nintendo nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:28 PM   #318
Mr. Socko
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
How long have you been on these boards Matt? Seriously, Singer said in many interviews the love scene in Superman II was not in the continuity of SR.

In the SR continuity Superman and Lois just had a relationship previous to him leaving for Krypton which was nothing to do with the event of Superman II.
I'm sorry but that's partially what did it for me. Bryan hampered his own film with things like this. First it's a sequel to Superman: The Movie and Superman II, then we have "certain scenes" that the filmmakers just felt like disregarding and throwing out of continuity. Why...just why!? I guess the audience is just suppose to automatically assume which scenes from the originals are in continuity and which are not, all while watching the movie.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:34 PM   #319
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendo nerd View Post
Sigh....Another hater who thinks his opinion is the only one that matters.

Just because you didn't like the movie doesn't mean it lacks quality. You have all the right to dislike SR but don't say the people that liked it didn't care about the quality of the film and were desperate to see Superman on screen.

Why do all the spider - man fans come to troll in here? You have alot of things to complaint about Spidey 3.

Sigh. Another fan who is saying stupid **** out his mouth. I dont even bother saying bad things about Spider-man 3. It sucked beyond reason.

That being said, i truly believe Singer had the right intentions and he put his heart on it. I truly did. I JUST DONT THINK he is the right man for the job.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:35 PM   #320
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Socko View Post
I'm sorry but that's partially what did it for me. Bryan hampered his own film with things like this. First it's a sequel to Superman: The Movie and Superman II, then we have "certain scenes" that the filmmakers just felt like disregarding and throwing out of continuity. Why...just why!? I guess the audience is just suppose to automatically assume which scenes from the originals are in continuity and which are not, all while watching the movie.
You know what? The movie was just like most of the Superman comics. A continuity mess... lol

Old 11-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #321
nintendo nerd
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderDaniel View Post
You know what? The movie was just like most of the Superman comics. A continuity mess... lol
Yes, we need better stories like the clone saga. Or changing the costume every month. Or resurecting the gobby with every new writer. Oh, I know!!!!let's reveal that Clark Kent and Superman are the same person to all the world.

nintendo nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:42 PM   #322
SuperDaniel
Banned User

I dont know why u say this to me. I`m not even that much of a Spider-man fan...

Old 11-27-2007, 04:43 PM   #323
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Speaking of this...Can i change my name to SuperDaniel? To who i have to talk to do this?

Old 11-27-2007, 05:03 PM   #324
Super Kal
Proud Conservative

DOG LIPS can help you out with that... but remember, it's a one time only thing

Old 11-27-2007, 05:06 PM   #325
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderDaniel View Post
I dont like it..Lois has to be with Superman and Richard shouldn`t have existed in the first place...Jason is Superman`s son.

The whole movie is a mess.
We all would like this to be a perfect world.

Interestinmg stories starts with problems, mistakes and imperfections. And the way characters fight against them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mego joe View Post
If you don't like 'deadbeat dad' try the term jerk, loser or a-hole. They all fit the spirit of the situation as well.
I see. A jerk, a loser and an ******* are the people who try to correct their mistakes when they see the consequences.

That'd be Superman in SII.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote