The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #3401
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Default Re: WB & DC: The Plan For Superman

Somebody please slap a copy of MOS in front of them for the Kryptonian part of the story and then select sections of Birthright (the globe traversing Clark section) and then back to MOS.

It shouldn't be any harder than that for them.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:24 AM   #3402
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

man it would be nice if it was that simple of a case davidtyler. I am sure pre and post SR they had many writers come up with using those story elements and all that. But the main issue that is a dark cloud is the whole legal copyright deal. Then if that wasnt a problem its the darn to us fans lack of committed to any one direction from the execs. It does make you wonder what the heck is going on with meeting with execs about superman. Makes you wish you were a fly on the wall there.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:05 AM   #3403
Spirited Away
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
But the main issue that is a dark cloud is the whole legal copyright deal.
That's quite clearly not the case, as Smallville Season 9 seems to be completely unaffected by the lawsuit, as it become even more entrenched in Superman's Kryptonian heritage and Clark begins to piece together his Superman costume.

The reason there's no Superman movie is because there is no incentive for WB to produce it. It makes no financial sense because the last film didn't turn over much, and it makes no creative sense because of 'Smallville', the animated DVD movies, and the fact there are plenty of other "fresh" but well-known DC characters for them to make movies of (such as Green Lantern).

Once 'Smallville' is over, then maybe they'll seriously consider it. I personally see them doing a low-ish budget/low-risk theatrical sequel to 'Smallville', just to get over that legal loop hole of having a Superman movie ready by 2011. I mean, they know it'd make a profit, unlike a big budget/high-risk blockbuster.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:52 AM   #3404
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Web, - Oh, I know a lot of it is tied up with the lawsuit. Still I think they could come to some kind of agreement with the Siegel's. Especially if they point out that without the rest of the mythos that came after Action #1, the character has not much going on. Luthor came much later as did all of Superman's major villains not to mention that a lot of the Superman supporting cast came later. I don't know if DC recognizes some of the aces it holds.

But I also think that the WB has no clue as to how to handle the character. If nothing else, put it in the hands of Timm/Dini. I know they haven't done any live action stuff but they do really nicely at translating DC characters to the screen.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:20 AM   #3405
FilmNerdJamie
I'M MARY POPPINS, Y'ALL!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirited Away View Post
I personally see them doing a low-ish budget/low-risk theatrical sequel to 'Smallville', just to get over that legal loop hole of having a Superman movie ready by 2011.
Yeah, that's not happening. Ever.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:45 AM   #3406
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTyler View Post
Somebody please slap a copy of MOS in front of them for the Kryptonian part of the story and then select sections of Birthright (the globe traversing Clark section) and then back to MOS.

It shouldn't be any harder than that for them.
What Man of Steel? Is that a comic book or a script that hasnt been produced yet?

Old 11-27-2009, 07:46 AM   #3407
FilmNerdJamie
I'M MARY POPPINS, Y'ALL!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
What Man of Steel? Is that a comic book or a script that hasnt been produced yet?
Comic book mini-series, my friend.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #3408
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Thanks!

Old 11-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #3409
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
Its the most overrated Superman comic of all time

Old 11-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #3410
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Well, surprise, surprise this news is, WB is doing nothing with the character, no change since 2006 there then!

1)Avengers: Infinity War-9.5(2)A Quiet Place-9(3)Black Panther-9(4)Deadpool 2-9(5)The Shape of Water-8.5(6)Ready Player One-8(7)Solo: A Star Wars Story-8(8)Jurassic World- Fallen Kingdom-7.5(9)Tomb Raider-7(10)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
Old 11-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #3411
Wolfman
Side-Kick

So Superman board is going to move to general movie's dc comics films board? Just like all the other DC heroes, who's movies are halted/in development hell. Kinda sad isn't it?

Old 11-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #3412
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Its the most overrated Superman comic of all time
Its Byrne's telling of the origin right? I read its plot on Wikipedia. I generally like most of Byrne's ideas and changes to the character. Dont know how good the comic book was though.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #3413
Spirited Away
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, that's not happening. Ever.
Do you really not think that if 'Absolute Justice' proves to be a massive success, WB won't consider taking the idea further?

Old 11-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #3414
FilmNerdJamie
I'M MARY POPPINS, Y'ALL!
SHH! Global Moderator

If they were going the theatrical route for Smallville, it would have already happened. Years ago. Warner Brothers considers it apples to oranges with Smallville and the Superman film franchise.

Plus, you're rarely going to see a film studio bankroll a bigger-budget continuation of a cult TV show for the silver screen. Look no further than the failed box-office of X-Files 2 and Serenity for proof. And please let's not throw in Star Trek as the point/counter-point. That's another apples and oranges situation.

Last edited by FilmNerdJamie; 11-27-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #3415
Fresh Prince
Banned User

SV does not have a cult following.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #3416
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
So Superman board is going to move to general movie's dc comics films board? Just like all the other DC heroes, who's movies are halted/in development hell. Kinda sad isn't it?
These boards probably have the second most traffic next to batman even when no movie is in production. Even after the first Iron Man came out the boards were dead after that, sure now things have picked up but these boards arent going anywhere.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:23 PM   #3417
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea its all up to the mods on what they want to do with superman section.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #3418
FilmNerdJamie
I'M MARY POPPINS, Y'ALL!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Prince View Post
SV does not have a cult following.
If something like Lost and Battlestar Galactica are considered cult shows, then Smallville definitely is. How is that a bad thing?

Old 11-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #3419
Weadazoid
Side-Kick

I don't understand how Superman is the most difficult one to bring to the big screen. No one is working on a script, good ideas are probably being pitched and tossed away because they are too simple... or something like that.

They can work on a game plan or stratgey all they want.... it didn't help for the Singer version and they strategized and gameplanned that one for ever.

Does anyone even know what was so great about the Singer pitch... what got him the job in the first place... he said his vision got him the job... but he never told anyone what it was.... I stil ldon't understand what the 'trillogy' he had in mind was supposed to be where it was supposed to go from there.

In all honesty once he pitched the kid I would have kicked him out the door.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #3420
Venom'sDad
Enter The Sym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weadazoid View Post
I don't understand how Superman is the most difficult one to bring to the big screen. No one is working on a script, good ideas are probably being pitched and tossed away because they are too simple... or something like that.

They can work on a game plan or stratgey all they want.... it didn't help for the Singer version and they strategized and gameplanned that one for ever.

Does anyone even know what was so great about the Singer pitch... what got him the job in the first place... he said his vision got him the job... but he never told anyone what it was.... I stil ldon't understand what the 'trillogy' he had in mind was supposed to be where it was supposed to go from there.

In all honesty once he pitched the kid I would have kicked him out the door.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #3421
green
fear is the mind killer

Geez...do people get how lawsuits work?
WB isnt going to say anything positive about a Superman movie in anyway until this thing is settled. They are going to keep saying the same things "we have no plans", "Supermans a tough one", blah, blah, blah....even if it is otherwise.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #3422
Fresh Prince
Banned User

Quote:
If something like Lost and Battlestar Galactica are considered cult shows, then Smallville definitely is. How is that a bad thing?
Its not a bad thing....Did I say it was a bad thing?

Old 11-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #3423
FilmNerdJamie
I'M MARY POPPINS, Y'ALL!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Prince View Post
Its not a bad thing....Did I say it was a bad thing?
You acted like it was?

Old 11-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #3424
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea i would say its a cult show just like those others stated above. As for the whole mess that is the legal mess i know myself that is one of the main factors in why superman isnt going anywhere on film. I wish it wasnt in the mess it is. Though who really knows how the legal stuff will go. We know the siegel's judge before he stepped down this month really wanted to get things settled. But in the end i hope things get settled and all invovled get what they want.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #3425
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirited Away View Post
Of course it does, you complete cretin.

It has a core viewership of at least 3.2 million Americans every week (Live+7 ratings), is broadcast in over 60 countries, and is one of the most popular television series on DVD/BR (especially today, where Smallville has been the most popular Black Friday offer in DVDs at Best Buy).
I have lost faith in humanity. First Twilight and now this? I hope a super advanced alien race puts us out of our misery.

Closed Thread