SHH! Moderator

Default Re: Game of Thrones - Book Readers' Thread - - - - - - Part 23

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:40 PM   #3
Victarion
Iron Captain

Default Re: Game of Thrones - Book Readers' Thread - - - - - - - Part 24

Perhaps. I hope we get some hints of Doran's slow game from the books in the next season. Since Ellaria gave us a version of his fire and blood speech, I'd like to see the Sand Snakes slowly infiltrating King's Landing, securing roles similar to those they have in the books. I think Tyene's would be hard to do, since, if I remember correctly, she was taking a seat on the small council previously occupied by Prince Oberyn.

Of course, it is also possible that we see where Cersei attempts to smooth over relations with Dorne and offers Ellaria a seat on her new small council, in which case Ellaria sends Tyene to take her place. This also counts on Varys being able to persuade Danaerys and Ellaria into making a subtle attack on King's Landing, as opposed to guns blazing with her dragons. I think Varys and Olenna could manage it.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:04 PM   #4
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Default Re: Game of Thrones - Book Readers' Thread - - - - - - - - Part 25

I don't especially think it'll get brought up, but I do think it's a pretty big deal that one of Tyrion's new allies killed his niece. I'd feel annoyed if we didn't get any acknowledgement of that. Same thing with Olenna framing Tyrion for Joffrey's death. Don't think they're gonna bring either thing up, but I think it's something that warrants acknowledgment in-universe.

If you seek Dude's monument, look around you.

Quote:
How is it that you, a diabolical sick ****, is so goddamn sexy?
Roose Bolton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:43 PM   #5
godisawesome
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roose Bolton View Post
I don't especially think it'll get brought up, but I do think it's a pretty big deal that one of Tyrion's new allies killed his niece. I'd feel annoyed if we didn't get any acknowledgement of that. Same thing with Olenna framing Tyrion for Joffrey's death. Don't think they're gonna bring either thing up, but I think it's something that warrants acknowledgment in-universe.
Ideally, we should see both of the Lannister Bros dealing with internal strife in their factions, both dealing with them as the wounded parties. Tyrion should be clearly established as Lady Olenna's equal and the Sands' superior, while probably showcasing his higher strength of character, but it shouldn't be easy. I think we should see Dinklage get to play "Tyrion gets his groove back" at full blast. He's motivated now, and even though his side seems the most commonly aligned, he's got kinslayers and kingslayers on his side to contend with.

And Jaime's basically got the opposite issue; he has to figure out what his end goal is going to be and how to outflank Gregor and Qyburn while not immediately setting off the Mad Queen. I have a strong feeling we're going to have an episode foiling Tyrion and Jaime as advisors to their respective queens, with Tyrion trying to bolster Dany and Jaime trying to undermine Cersei.

And the end result is going to be Dany standing as the only power in the South while The North engages the White Walkers, which leaves us with one last question about the Lannisters: who's going to lead them into the War for the Dawn? Tyrion should be the heavy favorite for that answer, but I've got a feeling that Jaime may play the role as well. Jon has a relationship with Tyrion, as does Sansa, and even Bran has benefited from Tyrion's altruism, so it seems clear that he'll be the one to cement a 6-Kingdom alliance against the White Walkers, but of Jaime has anything beyond killing Cersei in his future, we may see him get to align with people who hate his guts, with Tyrion being the only thing keeping him alive.

TEEN TITANS (03) VS TEEN TITANS GO! PODCAST https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=400482734
godisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:08 AM   #6
Sawyer
High King

Quote:
I really don't think we're heading into such an abundance of plot that neither of those threads will come into play again. Maybe not the Olenna framing Tyrion thing, but I really think killing Myrcella is going to have to come to light and when it does, Ellaria and the Sand Snakes are dragon food. Or perhaps something more inconspicuous when they're no longer needed.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:16 AM   #7
Reek
_________

who would be left in dorne to rule?

Reek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:18 AM   #8
Reek
_________

christ how many house names have we lost entirely now? Martell, Baratheon, Tyrell (Olenna is prob dead soon lol) , Frey (assuming they are gone now), Bolton, .....

Old 07-02-2016, 12:23 AM   #9
Sawyer
High King

I'll be shocked if Tyrion isn't the last Lannister standing by S7's end.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Old 07-02-2016, 12:41 AM   #10
craigdbfan
Banned User

Prepare to not be shocked.

craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:57 AM   #11
union_jak
Licky licky

All the great houses, with the exception of Stark and Targaryen will probably be extinct by the end. There are a couple of Lannister brothers living in Casterly Rock and I think it's okay to assume they exist in the TV show because we've seen some of their sons (the cousin Jaime killed and the two boys Karstark killed).

It's possible the Tyrell's have other sons in Highgarden, they certainly do in the books.

It's a shame the Martell story was a non-starter. I'd have liked to have seen Arianne and Quentyn be involved, but it's too late in the series to introduce them now.

The House of Arryn is a bit fragile with only Robin Arryn around, same with House Morment and Lyanna at the head.

I really can't see the Sand Snakes integrating into Kings Landing like they've done in the books, they've done too much damage to Cersei to get close to her now.

i think union is tight...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Union is pretty hot..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurka View Post
union_jak for shoooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogansRunt View Post
I had to go with JakJak.

Quote:
Jak is teh sexy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaperson2 View Post
**** it, unionjak is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez View Post
I gotta go for my boy Jak here.

RIP Brittany, my Harley Quinn
Instagram: union_jak
union_jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #12
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Olenna and Tyrion never addressing that would make sense, because Tyrion (and nobody else other than LF and Sansa) knows about it, nor would Olenna have any reason to tell Tyrion otherwise.

However, the Ellaria/Tyrion/Sandsnakes thing is an actual problem that has to be addressed. They killed Myrcella just because she's related to Tywin and Cersei. Also, Tyrion sent Myrcella to Dorne partially to protect her from Stannis' army in season 2. He also really adored Myrcella and Tommen.

So, it would stand to reason that he would feel guilt over his niece's death, and both parties would have cause to want to see the other dead. It does need to be at least addressed once and show a long standing disdain on both sides, even with Dany being forced to mediate her alliance.

But I fear the show will ignore it, which is a shame, because that is the kind of storytelling they avoided so well during the first four seasons.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #13
union_jak
Licky licky

Sometimes, in the case of defeating your ultimate enemy and achieving the end goal, the enemy of your enemy is your friend. Tyrion and the Sand Snakes would need to put aside their differences if they both want to finish Cersei.

Tyrian is the guy who strangled his lover in bed, however, so I can see Daenerys keeping those groups separated if she wants a unified team with no internal distractions.

i think union is tight...
Quote:
Union is pretty hot..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurka View Post
union_jak for shoooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogansRunt View Post
I had to go with JakJak.

Quote:
Jak is teh sexy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaperson2 View Post
**** it, unionjak is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez View Post
I gotta go for my boy Jak here.

RIP Brittany, my Harley Quinn
Instagram: union_jak
union_jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:02 PM   #14
BestGirl
Chillin' on Dragonstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Olenna and Tyrion never addressing that would make sense, because Tyrion (and nobody else other than LF and Sansa) knows about it, nor would Olenna have any reason to tell Tyrion otherwise.

However, the Ellaria/Tyrion/Sandsnakes thing is an actual problem that has to be addressed. They killed Myrcella just because she's related to Tywin and Cersei. Also, Tyrion sent Myrcella to Dorne partially to protect her from Stannis' army in season 2. He also really adored Myrcella and Tommen.

So, it would stand to reason that he would feel guilt over his niece's death, and both parties would have cause to want to see the other dead. It does need to be at least addressed once and show a long standing disdain on both sides, even with Dany being forced to mediate her alliance.

But I fear the show will ignore it, which is a shame, because that is the kind of storytelling they avoided so well during the first four seasons.
Tyrion is hated by the remaining Lannisters because he killed Tywin, the head of the family. Oberyn liked him as well. All those factors will probably prevent Ellaria from going after him. The bigger question is what will happen when Tyrion finds out Ellaria and the Sand Snakes murdered Myrcella. Like you, I hope the writers don't just skip over the repercussions of Myrcella's death.

Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it’s the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters. - Greg Rucka
BestGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:16 PM   #15
BatmanBeyond
Shadow On The Run

Well, they did eventually have Davos confront Melisandre about Shireen's burning, so maybe they'll do something similar with Tyrion and the Sand Snakes/Ellaria.

The mouse is dead. Bury it. Consider this mercy.
Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
BatmanBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:12 PM   #16
Sawyer
High King

@HIGHzurrer

*rinse and repeat*
Old 07-02-2016, 07:01 PM   #17
Guts
Gul

Quote:
Originally Posted by union_jak View Post
All the great houses, with the exception of Stark and Targaryen will probably be extinct by the end. There are a couple of Lannister brothers living in Casterly Rock and I think it's okay to assume they exist in the TV show because we've seen some of their sons (the cousin Jaime killed and the two boys Karstark killed).

It's possible the Tyrell's have other sons in Highgarden, they certainly do in the books.

It's a shame the Martell story was a non-starter. I'd have liked to have seen Arianne and Quentyn be involved, but it's too late in the series to introduce them now.

The House of Arryn is a bit fragile with only Robin Arryn around, same with House Morment and Lyanna at the head.

I really can't see the Sand Snakes integrating into Kings Landing like they've done in the books, they've done too much damage to Cersei to get close to her now.
They can introduce Willas and Garlan next season. But they would have to explain where they have been all this time.

Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #18
Ms. Marvel
Screwed up Avenger

Willas and Garlan have to be younger than Loras to explain why he's the heir to highgarden. Anyhow I doubt they will show up at any point in the tv show.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:38 PM   #19
Reek
_________

its far too late to introduce a bunch of new characters.. **** we barely even know Euron.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #20
Drizzle
Senpai Goldblum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacit-ronin- View Post
They can introduce Willas and Garlan next season. But they would have to explain where they have been all this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
Willas and Garlan have to be younger than Loras to explain why he's the heir to highgarden. Anyhow I doubt they will show up at any point in the tv show.
Olenna made it pretty clear that she's the last Tyrell standing in the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reek View Post
its far too late to introduce a bunch of new characters.. **** we barely even know Euron.
Yeah, all the players are in place for the endgame, there's really no room for any new characters at this point since there's only 13 or so episodes left. The only major character I can see them bringing into the fold would be Rhaegar in Bran's visions.

Drizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:43 PM   #21
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

And Howland Reed possibly

If you seek Dude's monument, look around you.

Quote:
How is it that you, a diabolical sick ****, is so goddamn sexy?
Roose Bolton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:46 PM   #22
Reek
_________

Rhaegar is still alive anyway. Can't wait for that reveal

Old 07-02-2016, 11:39 PM   #23
Logan0327
Side-Kick

Quote:
And Howland Reed possibly
he has to show up since he is the only one alive that can vouch for jon's parentage since bran visions aint gonna fly lol

would make sense bran would go to him he is meera's father after all

Logan0327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:43 PM   #24
Reek
_________

I'd expect all of the north to unite in winterfell at this point.. (show wise) so Howland should be there.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:49 AM   #25
TheFuture
Rising

I'll reiterate my belief that Jon being a Targ will not become common knowledge.

There's no concrete proof, and Jon grew up wanting to be a Stark, so I don't see the purpose of it becoming common knowledge. I don't think Jon will sit on the Iron Throne (if there's even one left) and an alliance will be forced out of necessity rather than blood.

Jon will find out and that's enough, but he'll choose, as we Irish like to say, "to keep it dark".