The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2018, 02:22 AM   #26
Spidey_62
I am the edge
 
Spidey_62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,674
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

Wonderful debut! Was looking forward to this as I really enjoyed Spencer's Superior Foes, Ant-Man, and The Fix. Really enjoyed Peter's voice, his attitude, and his maturity with dealing with the problems he encounters. He acts like a responsible person trying to do his best despite not everything always working! It's like all the classic Spidey tropes are there but it felt so refreshing at the same time because it's felt like a lot of this has been warded off, I'm not sure if I can articulate what I mean but I'll try.

I enjoyed what Dan Slott did for the most part, his contributions and ideas are undeniably a great accomplishment as a creator. Big Time started off really strong and into Spider-Island that was all a highlight for me, Superior also, and the end of his run also landed pretty well. BUT... I did feel a lot that his Peter voice felt a little off for some reason, like he wasn't as mature as he'd been in the past anymore and needed to rely on other heroes more than he used to. I get he was an Avenger now but it was so overplayed.

I remember the run losing its luster for me when Peter returned after Superior and he became the backseat driver in his own book with Silk and then Spider-Verse being an overly depressing romp. I also had a problem with Peter just falling into having a doctorate and owning a giant company now without earning any of it yet he just goes along with all of it no questions asked.

So I really appreciated this issue tackling all of that stuff and zigging where the book has been zagging recently. Also feels really nice having Ryan Ottley drawing Spider-Man, it also feels fresh cause here's an artist who literally hasn't even been at either Marvel or DC before yet totally fits the bill of drawing an awesome Spidey and being a great fit for his world. Keep him on as long as he was drawing Invincible lol, I wanna see him get a shot at joining the ranks of the great artistic voices on Spidey!

Also enjoyed it addressing Mysterio's being alive again rather than just dismissing it as "master of illusion!" and using it to pose some interesting new questions with a new villain that seems to have some equally interesting ties.

That was also a happy moment for me because as much as I've enjoyed Spidey in the last decade it's felt like something's been missing and the lack of her presence next to Peter is a big factor in it. All the commentary in the script felt like it was calling to those feelings, too. I dunno, I'm really interested all of this from the first issue! Plus that funny cliffhanger with professor Lizard, lovely.

I feel like there were too many allusions to OMD/the wedding/Mephisto/Mysterio from hell to not be hinting towards something big for this run. Doesn't mean Peter and MJ will get married again but I think it's looking likelier that OMD will at least be touched on after mostly being brushed under the rug for a decade.

__________________
"So you don't like names, huh? Well that's too bad, frog-face. 'Cause to me you're nothing but a two-bit, no-account, second-rate, sewer-breath-baboon with a brain of a pigeon and the face of an eel!" ~ Spider-Man

Hype Art Thread. Twitter. Instagram.

RadicalRealmComics.com - read the comic books I draw!

Watch Lost in the Shadows - based on The Spirit of the Shadows comic book!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spidey_62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #27
shinlyle
King of the Haters
 
shinlyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: On top of the world.
Posts: 11,933
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
I think this is worth posting...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlHiWeoHH8G/



Looks like Spencer is getting much praise for his first issue.





Great review! I'm beyond happy with this first issue. I hope this will become a trend...it's been so long since I've found myself feeling both excited and hopeful for what's to come.



I hope my post didn't spoil you! I suppose I should have tagged it

Ottley is wonderful. I'm so glad he's starting us off in what should be a great run.

Just based on what I've seen from your post history, you are going to love this first book.
It's all good, man! I've been reading spoilers on this all along! When it comes to premiere issues, I always read up all I can before buying. Otherwise, you end up with Captain America being a Hydra Agent (also by Spencer) and wanting to set fire to a comic.

I'm just happy to see a Spider-Man I recognize, again. Also...Ottley. That is all.

__________________
Check out my art! And yes, I take commissions.
https://www.instagram.com/lylepollard/
shinlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #28
shinlyle
King of the Haters
 
shinlyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: On top of the world.
Posts: 11,933
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Reilly View Post
Why do current writers not care about continuity?

MJ was a B*tch to Pete the last time they were "together"
Pete's doctorate wasbalready cleared of wrong doing. Even though that wasbaddressed it' was brushed aside

Black cat not mad at pete
Where are billy and Martha?
Mysterious was just innvegas
Martha died in the (admittedly horrible) Spider-Man: Quality of Life miniseries about 10 or 12 years ago. Billy died when Lizard ate him during the "Gauntlet" story.

__________________
Check out my art! And yes, I take commissions.
https://www.instagram.com/lylepollard/
shinlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:50 AM   #29
Ben_Reilly
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 241
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinlyle View Post
Martha died in the (admittedly horrible) Spider-Man: Quality of Life miniseries about 10 or 12 years ago. Billy died when Lizard ate him during the "Gauntlet" story.
Yes but we saw Lizard/Curt leave with them, partially transformed into lizards at the end of Clone Conspiracy.

He seemed pretty even at that point.

Granted we only saw a panel. But it was a pretty big omission ... Hopefully it gets addressed straight away next issue.

Ben_Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #30
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue
 
UltimateWebhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 11,164
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Reilly View Post
Why do current writers not care about continuity?

MJ was a B*tch to Pete the last time they were "together"
Pete's doctorate wasbalready cleared of wrong doing. Even though that wasbaddressed it' was brushed aside

Black cat not mad at pete
Where are billy and Martha?
Mysterious was just innvegas
With regard to MJ, there seems to be a bit of time that has passed from 801 to #1. The evidence would be Kingpin's plan to isolate Spider-Man from the hero community. It was only just revealed to us but enough has been done over the course of some time to allow the heroes to already be upset towards Spider-Man.

Also, I think it should be noted that Slott loved to write established characters out-of-character. If it wasn't one of his pet creations he took ill toward them. As far as I am concerned, his writing of MJ was horrendous and although the correction made seemed abrupt, there will most likely be some backtracking to explain what happened in that 'missing time.' I'm hoping they give us some backstory thru the eyes of MJ--let us know what she was actually thinking and feeling. And with the upcoming story of another Peter/Spidey running around I could totally see a redemption story for her for the garbage in Superior.

Peter not earning his doctorate and then just going ahead and using the unearned doctorate with nothing more than a hand wave was a big sticking point with many fans, myself included. It was way out of character and it's great that this long overdue issue is finally being addressed. But again, that's just showing how horrible Slott is/was as a writer. He couldn't write a decent character to save himself...it was always about just moving the plot along.

As for Black Cat...talk about underwhelming apologies and/or redeeming stories. After years of being some queen-pin of crime and ditching one of her best friends, cause again Slott doesn't give a rats ass about the core characters, she makes essentially a one-panel apology to Peter that amounted to the equivalent of "my bad."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
Wonderful debut! Was looking forward to this as I really enjoyed Spencer's Superior Foes, Ant-Man, and The Fix. Really enjoyed Peter's voice, his attitude, and his maturity with dealing with the problems he encounters. He acts like a responsible person trying to do his best despite not everything always working! It's like all the classic Spidey tropes are there but it felt so refreshing at the same time because it's felt like a lot of this has been warded off, I'm not sure if I can articulate what I mean but I'll try.

I enjoyed what Dan Slott did for the most part, his contributions and ideas are undeniably a great accomplishment as a creator. Big Time started off really strong and into Spider-Island that was all a highlight for me, Superior also, and the end of his run also landed pretty well. BUT... I did feel a lot that his Peter voice felt a little off for some reason, like he wasn't as mature as he'd been in the past anymore and needed to rely on other heroes more than he used to. I get he was an Avenger now but it was so overplayed.

I remember the run losing its luster for me when Peter returned after Superior and he became the backseat driver in his own book with Silk and then Spider-Verse being an overly depressing romp. I also had a problem with Peter just falling into having a doctorate and owning a giant company now without earning any of it yet he just goes along with all of it no questions asked.

So I really appreciated this issue tackling all of that stuff and zigging where the book has been zagging recently. Also feels really nice having Ryan Ottley drawing Spider-Man, it also feels fresh cause here's an artist who literally hasn't even been at either Marvel or DC before yet totally fits the bill of drawing an awesome Spidey and being a great fit for his world. Keep him on as long as he was drawing Invincible lol, I wanna see him get a shot at joining the ranks of the great artistic voices on Spidey!

Also enjoyed it addressing Mysterio's being alive again rather than just dismissing it as "master of illusion!" and using it to pose some interesting new questions with a new villain that seems to have some equally interesting ties.

That was also a happy moment for me because as much as I've enjoyed Spidey in the last decade it's felt like something's been missing and the lack of her presence next to Peter is a big factor in it. All the commentary in the script felt like it was calling to those feelings, too. I dunno, I'm really interested all of this from the first issue! Plus that funny cliffhanger with professor Lizard, lovely.

I feel like there were too many allusions to OMD/the wedding/Mephisto/Mysterio from hell to not be hinting towards something big for this run. Doesn't mean Peter and MJ will get married again but I think it's looking likelier that OMD will at least be touched on after mostly being brushed under the rug for a decade.
I'm not sure if you saw my review but I loved this first issue as well, and I'm glad to see that you and many others are also digging it.

To the first emboldened part...um, what? Dan Slott's run imo is the equivalent of the Mackie/Byrne era except that it's worse. Because although in Mackie's day the stories themselves were bad at least Peter was not so completely out of character. Slott's stories were mediocre at best but his characterizations were utter crap. You felt as though Peter was off? Yeah me too but then again in Slott's own words, Peter has the emotional capacity of a 15-year old. He wrote Peter as incompetent, the butt of jokes, he just didn't understand how to tackle the Parker Luck. It was just an embarrassing mocking of Peter at every turn. Slott's only sticking point is that he wrote Spider-man for the longest. Even Superior was awful...hack fan-fic writing at it's finest. And what I'm hoping is just how JMS saved Spidey from the ashes of the Mackie run, Spencer will save us from the heaping, steaming pile of turd that was Slott's run.

To the second emboldened part...the zig and zag is really evident if you compare this first issue with Slott's Fall of Parker. Check out my post.

The thing I liked most about Mysterio was that we learned he actually did die. And I agree that with regard to OMD, the marriage itself may not return but at least we're getting some traction on a story that has been ignored for far too long. Also, with regard to OMD there's been a bunch of references in the Spider-Man/Deadpool comic over the past year. Marvel just needs to come forward and apologize for it. One thing I did notice was something that was kinda hidden in Mysterio's dialogue. He says give me "One last chance!" Now, this may be a stretch but take a look...

"One More Day."

"One Moment in Time."

"One Last Chance."

Who's with me? huh...anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinlyle View Post
It's all good, man! I've been reading spoilers on this all along! When it comes to premiere issues, I always read up all I can before buying. Otherwise, you end up with Captain America being a Hydra Agent (also by Spencer) and wanting to set fire to a comic.

I'm just happy to see a Spider-Man I recognize, again. Also...Ottley. That is all.
Ah, good, I'd honestly feel bad knowing that I spoiled you.

Have you read the issue yet??

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #31
shinlyle
King of the Haters
 
shinlyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: On top of the world.
Posts: 11,933
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post


Ah, good, I'd honestly feel bad knowing that I spoiled you.

Have you read the issue yet??
Not yet. I ordered it from Midtown along with some blank covers of it (I draw on them for resale). Looking forward to it! My comic buddy at work told me it was awesome, so that's a shining endorsement!

__________________
Check out my art! And yes, I take commissions.
https://www.instagram.com/lylepollard/
shinlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:02 PM   #32
Spidey_62
I am the edge
 
Spidey_62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,674
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post

I'm not sure if you saw my review but I loved this first issue as well, and I'm glad to see that you and many others are also digging it.

To the first emboldened part...um, what? Dan Slott's run imo is the equivalent of the Mackie/Byrne era except that it's worse. Because although in Mackie's day the stories themselves were bad at least Peter was not so completely out of character. Slott's stories were mediocre at best but his characterizations were utter crap. You felt as though Peter was off? Yeah me too but then again in Slott's own words, Peter has the emotional capacity of a 15-year old. He wrote Peter as incompetent, the butt of jokes, he just didn't understand how to tackle the Parker Luck. It was just an embarrassing mocking of Peter at every turn. Slott's only sticking point is that he wrote Spider-man for the longest. Even Superior was awful...hack fan-fic writing at it's finest. And what I'm hoping is just how JMS saved Spidey from the ashes of the Mackie run, Spencer will save us from the heaping, steaming pile of turd that was Slott's run.

To the second emboldened part...the zig and zag is really evident if you compare this first issue with Slott's Fall of Parker. Check out my post.
I did see your thoughts, it's nice to see so many vocally enjoying this book! I mean Dan Slott is a good idea man (imo) but the finer threads of actually writing characters isn't his strong point sometimes. Honestly his Otto was more fun to read than his Peter. Like the idea of stories such as Big Time, Spider-Island, Superior, Spider-Verse, Worldwide, Clone Conspiracy- they're all big wild ideas, he didn't always execute it as well which was frustrating to me because stories would just go on because of contrivances or characters not acting in ways they should have but he almost always went for broke and I gotta give him credit for that.

__________________
"So you don't like names, huh? Well that's too bad, frog-face. 'Cause to me you're nothing but a two-bit, no-account, second-rate, sewer-breath-baboon with a brain of a pigeon and the face of an eel!" ~ Spider-Man

Hype Art Thread. Twitter. Instagram.

RadicalRealmComics.com - read the comic books I draw!

Watch Lost in the Shadows - based on The Spirit of the Shadows comic book!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spidey_62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:11 PM   #33
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...
 
Themanofbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: With your Mom in Moncton, NB, Canada
Posts: 40,456
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

I dug it and I've started buying again...
First ish since #751

__________________
Alea Jacta Est

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype.
It's like rock'n roll never happened."
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:12 PM   #34
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...
 
Themanofbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: With your Mom in Moncton, NB, Canada
Posts: 40,456
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
I dug it and I've started buying again...
First ish since #751
And now I have 48 issues to chase to complete my collection lol

__________________
Alea Jacta Est

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype.
It's like rock'n roll never happened."
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:04 AM   #35
shinlyle
King of the Haters
 
shinlyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: On top of the world.
Posts: 11,933
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
I did see your thoughts, it's nice to see so many vocally enjoying this book! I mean Dan Slott is a good idea man (imo) but the finer threads of actually writing characters isn't his strong point sometimes. Honestly his Otto was more fun to read than his Peter. Like the idea of stories such as Big Time, Spider-Island, Superior, Spider-Verse, Worldwide, Clone Conspiracy- they're all big wild ideas, he didn't always execute it as well which was frustrating to me because stories would just go on because of contrivances or characters not acting in ways they should have but he almost always went for broke and I gotta give him credit for that.
Superior, Matters of Life and Death, and Big Time were his big contributions, if you ask me. I even loved #801, if I'm being honest.

That being said, his first Spidey yard, Spider-man/Human Torch will always be his greatest.

__________________
Check out my art! And yes, I take commissions.
https://www.instagram.com/lylepollard/
shinlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #36
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue
 
UltimateWebhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 11,164
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

I think it's pretty telling when Slott's 'best work' or 'most popular' is one that doesn't feature Peter Parker as the main character in a book with Spider-Man in the title.

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #37
shinlyle
King of the Haters
 
shinlyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: On top of the world.
Posts: 11,933
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
I think it's pretty telling when Slott's 'best work' or 'most popular' is one that doesn't feature Peter Parker as the main character in a book with Spider-Man in the title.
True.
I think, though, that I can be too small-minded when it comes to my enjoyment of Spider-man. I KNOW that the big expansive events sell the books, but those are not stories I have ever enjoyed (with few exceptions). I like seeing Spidey stop a mugger at the expense of an appointment, and watching Peter angst over his rent while someone is literally tearing New York to pieces.

We should be more worried about Peter. Instead, it feels like we barely knew him for the past 10 years.

__________________
Check out my art! And yes, I take commissions.
https://www.instagram.com/lylepollard/
shinlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:31 PM   #38
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue
 
UltimateWebhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 11,164
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

I've read thru this first issue about 3-4 times already, lol. I really enjoy it. But...I had a horrible thought. What if, the reunion between Peter and MJ is merely an illusion created by Mysterio?? That would just about wreck me. Though it could possibly be a way to start the undoing of OMD.

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:19 PM   #39
Spidey_62
I am the edge
 
Spidey_62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,674
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

There's a new Jessica Jones series and Peter and MJ are already getting a guest spot in an issue.

__________________
"So you don't like names, huh? Well that's too bad, frog-face. 'Cause to me you're nothing but a two-bit, no-account, second-rate, sewer-breath-baboon with a brain of a pigeon and the face of an eel!" ~ Spider-Man

Hype Art Thread. Twitter. Instagram.

RadicalRealmComics.com - read the comic books I draw!

Watch Lost in the Shadows - based on The Spirit of the Shadows comic book!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spidey_62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:05 PM   #40
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue
 
UltimateWebhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 11,164
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

Check out this article...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.01759e56a5d0

Here's a quote from Spencer regarding Peter and MJ:

Quote:
The relationship between Spider-Man/Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson came up. They were once an all-time comic book couple, but were not known as an item anymore. Slott even said during his time writing Spider-Man that fans shouldn’t expect a rekindling of any spider-flames.

Spencer, like many fans, assumed rules were in place to keep Peter Parker and Mary Jane apart. Quesada told him that was never Marvel’s intention when they decided to erase Spider-Man’s marriage to Mary Jane from continuity years ago, during the Spider-Man “One More Day” story.

“Once I had that piece of the puzzle in place, everything else came together and improved massively,” Spencer told The Washington Post’s Comic Riffs.

Suddenly, knowing Mary Jane could be a romantic part of the story made Spencer’s plans for the series “one thousand times better.”

Marvel’s former top couple are front and center at the beginning and end of Spencer’s first “The Amazing Spider-Man” tale. The story opens with a flashback: Spider-Man (in his classic black-and-white suit) and Mary Jane are atop a skyscraper, both smiling, both in love, both happy. It’s a nod to one of Spencer’s favorite Spider-Man stories ever, a “The Sensational Spider-Man” annual written by Matt Fraction and illustrated by Salvador Larroca in 2006.

During the issue, Spidey endures classic Peter Parker problems such as losing his job, rent worries and roommate issues. Mary Jane can do nothing but laugh in Peter’s face at the ridiculousness of supervillains not being the worst part of his life. At the end, Mary Jane lets Spider-Man (and readers) know she’ll be there with him for the good and bad during these new adventures.

“It’s kind of funny how it all turned out,” Spencer said. “Obviously, it’s a huge moment for the fans — they’re very excited. I’m very glad we got it in there.”

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:57 PM   #41
shinlyle
King of the Haters
 
shinlyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: On top of the world.
Posts: 11,933
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
Check out this article...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.01759e56a5d0

Here's a quote from Spencer regarding Peter and MJ:
See. THAT'S the kind of writer I want on Amazing. Also, go to love how one of my fave Spidey/MJ stories is one of his, as well. Respect.

__________________
Check out my art! And yes, I take commissions.
https://www.instagram.com/lylepollard/
shinlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:22 PM   #42
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue
 
UltimateWebhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 11,164
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

Preview for issue #2

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...-spider-man-2/

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:27 PM   #43
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt
 
Spider-Aziz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 73,365
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Nolte View Post
I took that as the other heroes were being hounded by Mayor Kingpin's new policies while Spidey was being praised by him. Naturally there will be a little resentment.
I did not expect to read something like this. This is a very very smart tactic from Kingpin.

__________________
FIGHT CLUB: Marvel vs DC, ANYTHING
STATE YOUR OPINION ON A CHARACTER: MARVEL, DC

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:52 AM   #44
shinlyle
King of the Haters
 
shinlyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: On top of the world.
Posts: 11,933
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
Wow...that is some old school fun Spidey stuff, right there...lovin' it.

__________________
Check out my art! And yes, I take commissions.
https://www.instagram.com/lylepollard/
shinlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:39 PM   #45
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue
 
UltimateWebhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 11,164
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinlyle View Post
See. THAT'S the kind of writer I want on Amazing. Also, go to love how one of my fave Spidey/MJ stories is one of his, as well. Respect.
From what I've been reading and seeing from Spencer in interviews is that he is definitely a fan. He seems to really appreciate the history of Spider-Man, I mean look at issue #2, he dug out The Ringer and Man Mountain Marko for goodness sake.

And speaking of interviews, here's Spencer's SDCC panel:

https://www.marvel.com/watch/digital...e-at-sdcc-2018

Highlights from the interview:

* There's NO fake out with regard to Peter and MJ--they are back for good!
* MJ is featured on the cover of issue #7 with Peter and Fred and there's a scene featuring the three of them in the near future
*Spencer did a LOT of research going thru many old comics and new ones using Marvel Unlimited
*Spencer chose Ottley

Here's a couple of images (one of MJ on a variant for issue #2 or 3--can't remember and then a pic from SDCC featuring some upcoming covers...





Also, not sure if anyone has heard this but Ramos is doing the art for issue 6 and 7. Yuck. Ottley will return though, it's just the standard break for an artist.

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:43 AM   #46
Donald Thomas
The Black ArachKnight
 
Donald Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Big Island of Hawaii
Posts: 4,778
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
From what I've been reading and seeing from Spencer in interviews is that he is definitely a fan. He seems to really appreciate the history of Spider-Man, I mean look at issue #2, he dug out The Ringer and Man Mountain Marko for goodness sake.

And speaking of interviews, here's Spencer's SDCC panel:

https://www.marvel.com/watch/digital...e-at-sdcc-2018

Highlights from the interview:

* There's NO fake out with regard to Peter and MJ--they are back for good!
* MJ is featured on the cover of issue #7 with Peter and Fred and there's a scene featuring the three of them in the near future
*Spencer did a LOT of research going thru many old comics and new ones using Marvel Unlimited
*Spencer chose Ottley

Here's a couple of images (one of MJ on a variant for issue #2 or 3--can't remember and then a pic from SDCC featuring some upcoming covers...





Also, not sure if anyone has heard this but Ramos is doing the art for issue 6 and 7. Yuck. Ottley will return though, it's just the standard break for an artist.

Aloha,
For years, I absolutely HATED Ramos's art. In the past few years since Amazing and Champions, he's gotten so much better. Just shows I'm not too old to change.

Spidey rules

Donald Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:10 AM   #47
shinlyle
King of the Haters
 
shinlyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: On top of the world.
Posts: 11,933
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
From what I've been reading and seeing from Spencer in interviews is that he is definitely a fan. He seems to really appreciate the history of Spider-Man, I mean look at issue #2, he dug out The Ringer and Man Mountain Marko for goodness sake.

And speaking of interviews, here's Spencer's SDCC panel:

https://www.marvel.com/watch/digital...e-at-sdcc-2018

Highlights from the interview:

* There's NO fake out with regard to Peter and MJ--they are back for good!
* MJ is featured on the cover of issue #7 with Peter and Fred and there's a scene featuring the three of them in the near future
*Spencer did a LOT of research going thru many old comics and new ones using Marvel Unlimited
*Spencer chose Ottley

Here's a couple of images (one of MJ on a variant for issue #2 or 3--can't remember and then a pic from SDCC featuring some upcoming covers...





Also, not sure if anyone has heard this but Ramos is doing the art for issue 6 and 7. Yuck. Ottley will return though, it's just the standard break for an artist.
Loving it!
Ramos doesn't grate on my eyes the way he used to. I ALWAYS liked his Spidey, but his normal people (Aunt May in particular) always seemed off. Lately, he's been reigning it in a bit. And, I have ALWAYS said this, the man's backgrounds are BEAUTIFUL.

Also, Ottley's coming back, so I'm cool.

__________________
Check out my art! And yes, I take commissions.
https://www.instagram.com/lylepollard/
shinlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:21 PM   #48
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue
 
UltimateWebhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 11,164
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

I don't like Ramos. His art makes my sock start crawling up my leg lol. Though i haven't seen him do anything recently so maybe his toned down approach that you guys are mentioning I might enjoy. I dunno, I'm just glad that Ottley is only taking the standard break however there's so many other artists they could have used for issues 6 and 7.

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:43 PM   #49
Spidey_62
I am the edge
 
Spidey_62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,674
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
I don't like Ramos. His art makes my sock start crawling up my leg lol. Though i haven't seen him do anything recently so maybe his toned down approach that you guys are mentioning I might enjoy. I dunno, I'm just glad that Ottley is only taking the standard break however there's so many other artists they could have used for issues 6 and 7.
He did the backup story in #1.

I think the rotating Ottley/Ramos is a good combination as they both have styles that lean into cartooning in ways that work for the character. I like Ramos' art but I do wish they could have gotten another new voice artistically instead of having a piece holding onto the recent past.

__________________
"So you don't like names, huh? Well that's too bad, frog-face. 'Cause to me you're nothing but a two-bit, no-account, second-rate, sewer-breath-baboon with a brain of a pigeon and the face of an eel!" ~ Spider-Man

Hype Art Thread. Twitter. Instagram.

RadicalRealmComics.com - read the comic books I draw!

Watch Lost in the Shadows - based on The Spirit of the Shadows comic book!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spidey_62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:22 PM   #50
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue
 
UltimateWebhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 11,164
Default Re: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
He did the backup story in #1.

I think the rotating Ottley/Ramos is a good combination as they both have styles that lean into cartooning in ways that work for the character. I like Ramos' art but I do wish they could have gotten another new voice artistically instead of having a piece holding onto the recent past.
Oh yeah, that's right, the back up story. I did not like the art for the most part. The splash page with the lizard looked good but Peter and that girl, can't remember her name, looked off. I definitely prefer Ottley or any number of artists over Ramos. His art is cartoony, like Ottley, yes, but his symmetry is offensive to my eyes. It's ugly imo.

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of Mandatory Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.