The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 12-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #26
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: Did anyone prefer "First Class" over "Days of Future Past"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
Hated Kevin Bacon with a passion.
Bacon was definitely a love-or-loathe aspect of the movie. His version of Shaw sort of fitted the 60s James Bond vibe Vaughn was going for, but it didn't exactly feel like the perfect choice to me.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #27
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

Bacon wasn't a great Shaw.
Neither was the hell fire club was what it should be In terms of the canon.
But .... he was great nonetheless into the context of the movie. Solid acting. Solid writing.

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:31 PM   #28
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Loved Bacon in FC, though that movie is so dominated by Fassbender and McAvoy that I don’t immediately think of him when I think of FC. He was styled like a great old-fashioned Bond villain and his performance had a real spark. Gotta love a villain who clearly gets so much enjoyment and fun out of being eeeevil Kinda like Star Wars’ Palpatine to Fassbender’s Anakin (except that Erik wasn’t a whiny waste of space, of course).

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:33 PM   #29
psylockolussus
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I thought Kevin Bacon was excellent as Shaw! Looks-wise, not a carbon copy of the comics but still delivered.

psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:26 AM   #30
Harry Dresden
Side-Kick

First Class is the best X-men movie IMO.

Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:56 PM   #31
Sian
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Preferred First Class, X2 and The Wolverine over DOFP.

So did I.
It's funny, but I found the principal characters of DOFP completely unlikeable - but I loved them in FC.

Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #32
BeastStorm98
Side-Kick

I think First Class is a great movie but DOFP even much better. The scale is so grand and epic. If you grew up with the original cast like me, it was a thrill when they were announced to return! Plus i think DOFP has such a great message about hope and changing someone that is on a dark path.

In addition, Quicksilver is an obvious badass who they showed off beautifully. I just think DOFP has more interesting elements and better action. Plus Quicksilver. And Blink lol.

BeastStorm98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:57 AM   #33
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

FC is a great movie, it brought a freshness to the franchise and got it back on track, the casting is superb, MvAvoy and Fassbender are brilliant, with a really good villain in Shaw with a good performance from Bacon.

But DOFP is just a class above for me, I still can't work out whether it or X2 are my favourite of the franchise.

1)Avengers: Infinity War-9.5(2)A Quiet Place-9(3)Black Panther-9(4)Deadpool 2-9(5)The Shape of Water-8.5(6)Ready Player One-8(7)Solo: A Star Wars Story-8(8)Jurassic World- Fallen Kingdom-7.5(9)Tomb Raider-7(10)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:03 PM   #34
BlackFox
Deadpool forever!?!

Yeah DoFP and The Wolverine are better for me than First Class, but its still a very good movie and a nice starting block to restart the series that it sorely needed. Vaughn usually directs an entertaining movie so I can happily watch it. Its just has a few more negatives than a few others in the franchise, but to me thats an indication of how strong this series is now as I would probably place it 5th in my list of X films.

But DoFP is the best CBM since The Dark Knight to me so not a lot comes close to it.

Last edited by BlackFox; 01-31-2015 at 12:07 PM.
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:53 PM   #35
Fincher
Too far gone

I did. Days of Future Past was good, but it was my least favorite X-Men movie other than Origins: Wolverine.

Fincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:42 AM   #36
hoy-small-fry
It's a dance-off bro!

Saying DOFP is therefore worse than X3 surely invalidates everything you say?

Coulson: "Sir?"
Fury: "You don't have to call me sir, Coulson. Look at me. I'm dressed like I live under a bridge."
hoy-small-fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #37
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

I think FC was well written but remembering it had alot of writers involved since parts of the magneto script were added, vaughn got goldman to do some rewrites and kinberg did some work on it too

One issue id say is in FC you could see magnetos motives for doing what he is doing while young magnetos motives for just being a villain in DOFP felt abit similar to how kinberg wrote magneto in X3 which was villain who does things (including stupid things) just to be the villain

J.J. Abrams “We are standing on the shoulders of Episodes I through VI.”

(Always Manage Expectations.)

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 02-07-2015 at 11:29 AM.
GuestStar2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:06 PM   #38
Sullstar
Side-Kick

I would say I just preferred FC to DOFP looking at it as an overall film, but looking at them as X-Men Superhero films, I preferred DOFP

Sullstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #39
Legion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
I think FC was well written but remembering it had alot of writers involved since parts of the magneto script were added, vaughn got goldman to do some rewrites and kinberg did some work on it too

One issue id say is in FC you could see magnetos motives for doing what he is doing while young magnetos motives for just being a villain in DOFP felt abit similar to how kinberg wrote magneto in X3 which was villain who does things (including stupid things) just to be the villain
I disagree. After years of hearing Magneto say "A war is coming." and "The war has begun." we finally see that the war did happen and the devastation it brought mutants and humans. Mutants branded and confined to internment camps, bodies piling up...this is the film that really made you think "Magneto was right."

Even in the film Xavier remarks "Erik was right, humanity does do this to us". If anything I thought it was a bit peculiar that no one else considered that they might need to kill Mystique if reasoning with her failed.

Also that the "wiser" Charles and Erik proposed it was best to break the younger hot headed Magneto out of the pentagon for this delicate and time sensitive mission that all of their fates depended on.

If Wolverine's mission was to quietly take out Mystique it seems like the whole situation would have been much simpler. Wolverine could have staked out the Paris Peace Accords and grabbed Mystique when he caught her scent. Even in X3 the X-Men acknowledged that Jean was a threat they needed to be dealt with...and the stakes were not nearly as high.

As far as Magneto's actions...yes I can definitely see how he thought in the heat of the moment that killing Mystique was the best option. Not the best place but he probably wasn't sure if he'd get the chance and probably didn't think about how much of Mystique they needed to complete the Sentinels.

After that fiasco he knew the Sentinels were a "go" and he needed to attack before there was a whole army of them. Also they are just weapons, he had to go after the ones pointing them at mutants.

Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:43 AM   #40
FeedOnATreeFrog
(A Metal Gear reference)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM View Post
I am in minority by X1 is the best X men for me .
I'm with you. Those first 40 minutes or so are just perfection imo.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:57 AM   #41
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion View Post
I disagree. After years of hearing Magneto say "A war is coming." and "The war has begun." we finally see that the war did happen and the devastation it brought mutants and humans. Mutants branded and confined to internment camps, bodies piling up...this is the film that really made you think "Magneto was right."

Even in the film Xavier remarks "Erik was right, humanity does do this to us". If anything I thought it was a bit peculiar that no one else considered that they might need to kill Mystique if reasoning with her failed.

Also that the "wiser" Charles and Erik proposed it was best to break the younger hot headed Magneto out of the pentagon for this delicate and time sensitive mission that all of their fates depended on.

If Wolverine's mission was to quietly take out Mystique it seems like the whole situation would have been much simpler. Wolverine could have staked out the Paris Peace Accords and grabbed Mystique when he caught her scent. Even in X3 the X-Men acknowledged that Jean was a threat they needed to be dealt with...and the stakes were not nearly as high.

As far as Magneto's actions...yes I can definitely see how he thought in the heat of the moment that killing Mystique was the best option. Not the best place but he probably wasn't sure if he'd get the chance and probably didn't think about how much of Mystique they needed to complete the Sentinels.

After that fiasco he knew the Sentinels were a "go" and he needed to attack before there was a whole army of them. Also they are just weapons, he had to go after the ones pointing them at mutants.
what i mean is in X3 magneto was trying to control jean even when she exploded xavier into nothingness and was warned by logan about her he
still thought he knew best and then at the end when jean is killing everything he turns around and says "what have i done", and the answer is something very very stupid

while not totally the same i think there is a little bit of that in DOFP too

Old 04-12-2015, 02:14 AM   #42
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

I preferred DOFP.
That being said, I am glad Rose Byrne is back for Apocalypse .

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:49 AM   #43
dax
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion View Post
Even if Magneto was right, he did everything to make this war happen in the first place. Anyone who believes that a war is about to happen are the ones who start it and Magneto's unwillingness to allow humans to change their tune about mutants is what led to the devastation of both sides so it's all his fault. Furthermore, he has made things worse for his fellow mutants by:

-Throwing an array of missles at the US and Russian Navy.
-Dropping a baseball stadium on the White House.
-Building a machine that turns humans into mutants.
-Reversing cerebro and using Mystique to trick Jason Stryker into brainwashing Xavier into killing the human race.
and
-Leading a mutant army to attack Alcatraz and manipulating Jean Grey into destroying the island.

It is because of Magneto's actions that the humans build the Sentinels in the first place and even though Mystique killing Trask inspired the government to proceed with the sentinel program, breaking Magneto out of the Pentagon's plastic prison almost led to the same outcome which is why as Xavier pointed out, it was a mistake for Wolverine to let Old Magneto talk him into breaking his younger self out of prison for it almost screwed things up for the future X-men.

dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:10 AM   #44
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

In FC when you had charles and eric talking about what will happen when mutants are revealed to the world I like the fact that they both make a good argument and even though you should be siding with charles you can't help but think yeah eric has a point

That's the sorta thing I liked about magneto in FC there was more depth and thought put in, with DOFP magnetos choices were some what questionable

Old 04-13-2015, 03:16 AM   #45
Mystique's Leg
Side-Kick

Difficult question. I think I prefer DOFP, but that could be because DOFP is more recent.

Aside from the stellar and nuanced performances of Fassbender and McAvoy, I liked the vibrancy and youthfulness of FC. The younger cast did great and Vaughn has delivered every single time with making his films so distinctively colourful and 'alive'.

Along with the return of Moira, I hope the new young cast will be just as good.

Eventhough FC had a seemingly weird cast, it strangely still felt like an X-men movie. And it did make me excited for a straight FC-sequel, instead of getting an inbetweenquel (of course I was just as excited when they announced DOFP).

Actually, I don't know which one I prefer now that I'm thinking about it. They're both great and were easily the best comicbook movies of 2011 and 2014.

Mystique's Leg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #46
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

XMFC, X2 and DoFP to me are all pretty close in quality. I give them all between a 7/10 to a 7.5/10. But no, I can't rank XMFC over DoFP. Plot holes(my issue with DoFP) are easier to handle than annoying teenagers(my issue with XMFC). I put X2 right in the middle between them.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:37 PM   #47
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Dresden View Post
First Class is the best X-men movie IMO.
That.

moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:39 PM   #48
Kermit_The_Frog
Whip-laaaashh

I prefer Days of Future Past by a good margin.

Kermit_The_Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:10 AM   #49
Sian
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Preferred First Class, X2 and The Wolverine over DOFP.
X2 and X1 will always be my favourites but the Wolverine and FC were good.

Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:15 AM   #50
TeeKay
Side-Kick

FC is just a better written Film overall. DoFP? Not so much. That film was saved my good performances from Fassbender and McAvoy.

TeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote