The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 03:41 PM   #101
BestGirl
Chillin' on Dragonstone

Default Re: All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 4

I wonder why that post-credit scene was left in there if there were no plans to make JL2.

Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it’s the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters. - Greg Rucka
Old 11-30-2017, 03:58 PM   #102
Mani-Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGirl View Post
I wonder why that post-credit scene was left in there if there were no plans to make JL2.
Plans are always there, even the Green Lantern movie had plans for Sinestro and so on.
I would guess that WB actually thought that the Movie would destroy the box office so they kept it in.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:05 PM   #103
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

You can rule out Denis for any CBM's now.

'@bladerunner' 2049 Director Denis Villeneuve Has No Interest In Making A Superhero Movie https://www.**************.com/tv/marvel/blade-runner-2049-director-denis-villeneuve-has-no-interest-in-making-a-superhero-movie-a155905 …

Old 11-30-2017, 05:19 PM   #104
Deck Rickard
Turd in the Wind

Not really a surprise; his style wouldn’t really fit a superhero film, at least not a traditional one. But that doesn’t matter. Just make Dune, Denis.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:57 PM   #105
mclay18
Side-Kick

Warners announced several more "Untitled WB Event Film" release dates: January 17, 2020, January 15, 2021, February 12, 2021, and May 21, 2021.

Any chance those might be future DC titles? The January titles each are conveniently a month after Star Wars: Episode IX and Avatar 2. The February 2021 date is also the same date Deadpool hit in 2016, while the May release is supposedly two weeks removed from the expected Marvel title.

Let's not forget Teen Titans Go! To the Movies and Shaft 2 are in spaces originally intended for Warners' DC titles for late July 2018 and mid-June 2019.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:46 PM   #106
BestGirl
Chillin' on Dragonstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani-Man View Post
Plans are always there, even the Green Lantern movie had plans for Sinestro and so on.
I would guess that WB actually thought that the Movie would destroy the box office so they kept it in.
Yeah, but I was under the impression that WB had known for some time that JL was going to be a wreck and basically just dumped it into theaters and cancelled plans for a JL2. So why tease the possibility of a sequel? If JL had been a surprise hit then the Legion of Doom could've been introduced in JL2 all the same.

Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it’s the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters. - Greg Rucka
Old 12-01-2017, 04:33 PM   #107
Juan1193
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
Warners announced several more "Untitled WB Event Film" release dates: January 17, 2020, January 15, 2021, February 12, 2021, and May 21, 2021.

Any chance those might be future DC titles? The January titles each are conveniently a month after Star Wars: Episode IX and Avatar 2. The February 2021 date is also the same date Deadpool hit in 2016, while the May release is supposedly two weeks removed from the expected Marvel title.

Let's not forget Teen Titans Go! To the Movies and Shaft 2 are in spaces originally intended for Warners' DC titles for late July 2018 and mid-June 2019.
The only one I can actually see being a future DC release date is February 12, 2021. I doubt they'd drop a DC film in January, that month has a reputation. And I doubt they'd release a DC film 2 weeks after a Marvel film (May 21,2021) since it didn't quite work out last time they did it.

7) Spider-Man 2 8)The Dark Knight Rises 9)Thor Ragnarok 10) X2: X-Men United
Old 12-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #108
brandeezy89
Side-Kick

Quote:

Usually WB puts "Untitled DC Film" for their dates

Old 12-01-2017, 08:44 PM   #109
Jonwo
Side-Kick

Quote:

Event films can either be animated or live action. I wouldn't be surprised if the January 2020 are for a mid budget live action film or Oscar Bait, January 15th 2021 I imagine could be for Paddington 3 if Paddington 2 is a hit which i think is likely, February 12th 2021 could be anything but I'm thinking animation and likewise May 2021 although that could easily be live action

Old 12-01-2017, 09:04 PM   #110
Boom
I got nothin'

So El Maybe is teasing Hawkman.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:14 PM   #111
MrGamer2558
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Likely for the Titans show.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:17 PM   #112
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Figured by now Hawkgirl essentially took his spot.

Gunn_______Whedon________Kinberg
Reed________Goyer
Old 12-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #113
Fincher
Too far gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGamer2558 View Post
Likely for the Titans show.
Would they want to do Hawkman while also doing Hawk and Dove?

Then again, that would make more sense to me than them attempting a Hawkman movie.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:33 PM   #114
Deck Rickard
Turd in the Wind

Ugh... I think the CW permanently ruined the idea of a live action Hawkman for me.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:46 PM   #115
Juan1193
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Only way I'll get excited is if it means I'll get Hawkgirl! I like her more than her husband...

7) Spider-Man 2 8)The Dark Knight Rises 9)Thor Ragnarok 10) X2: X-Men United
Old 12-02-2017, 11:21 PM   #116
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan1193 View Post
The only one I can actually see being a future DC release date is February 12, 2021. I doubt they'd drop a DC film in January, that month has a reputation. And I doubt they'd release a DC film 2 weeks after a Marvel film (May 21,2021) since it didn't quite work out last time they did it.
Marvel Studios has been changing the notion of traditional release patterns for their comic-book films, which is giving the competition confidence in doing the same. They gave Black Panther a February release date before Deadpool became a breakout hit. People were naysaying them releasing CA:TWS in April... then that became one of the biggest films of 2014.

If Marvel decided to release a prime title like Captain Marvel in January 2019 -- they would eliminate that month's stigma too. People want to see movies year-round, they don't care which month.

Look at Warners' IT. That movie was expected to break September records, but it exceeded predictions. No one expected that film to do MCU-level business in the heart of back-to-school season ($123M opening, $688M worldwide). So if studios have a potential breakout film on their hands and the rest of the prime dates are taken, they have to take a chance with an unproven month.

Old 12-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #117
guyisnotcool
Side-Kick

Quote:
I thought JL 2 would be about Darkseid but I'm not sure now

Old 12-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #118
MbJ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, but I was under the impression that WB had known for some time that JL was going to be a wreck and basically just dumped it into theaters and cancelled plans for a JL2. So why tease the possibility of a sequel? If JL had been a surprise hit then the Legion of Doom could've been introduced in JL2 all the same.
I think WB was still delusional enough to think this was gonna be a Batman v. Superman situation. Terrible reviews and a steep drop off, but with a huge enough opening weekend and international haul to at least make a profit and maybe whet some appetites for a sequel (even though the last bit didn't come true after BVS).

I mean, all the vaguely positive reviews said things like "The movie is only okay, but it does leave me hopeful for the future," so that's probably the angle WB wanted to push. "Hey, this movie is only just okay, but the sequel is gonna be better! We promise!"

Old 12-03-2017, 02:47 PM   #119
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Quote:
Originally Posted by MbJ View Post
I think WB was still delusional enough to think this was gonna be a Batman v. Superman situation. Terrible reviews and a steep drop off, but with a huge enough opening weekend and international haul to at least make a profit and maybe whet some appetites for a sequel (even though the last bit didn't come true after BVS).

I mean, all the vaguely positive reviews said things like "The movie is only okay, but it does leave me hopeful for the future," so that's probably the angle WB wanted to push. "Hey, this movie is only just okay, but the sequel is gonna be better! We promise!"
I am leaning closer to they developed this clout after Suicide Squad, which was then promptly reported/rumored to spinoff their characters on top of a sequel. With the success of WW, they also figured that too would be enough.

Gunn_______Whedon________Kinberg
Reed________Goyer
Old 12-03-2017, 02:51 PM   #120
BaelaTargaryen
Side-Kick

https://screenrant.com/ezra-miller-i...tice-league-2/

Quote:
In an interview with the Toronto Sun, Miller said that, although he’s being kept in the dark on Warner Bros.’ future DCEU plans, he would like to see the Injustice League take on the newly-formed superhero team in Justice League 2 if they end up making another film together.

“The Injustice League. I think I can speak for everyone in the League when I say that we’re extremely excited by the prospect of continuing this journey. We don’t really know for sure, and we’re usually the last people to find out, but … each of the heroes in this movie has specific nemeses, and I think seeing some incarnation of the Injustice League (which includes Lex Luthor, Joker, Deathstroke and more) would be something that DC fans would be pretty stoked about.”

Old 12-03-2017, 04:54 PM   #121
MbJ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kt09 View Post
I am leaning closer to they developed this clout after Suicide Squad, which was then promptly reported/rumored to spinoff their characters on top of a sequel. With the success of WW, they also figured that too would be enough.
True. They probably figured after Suicide Squad that the DCEU was critic-proof.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:25 PM   #122
Jonwo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Marvel Studios has been changing the notion of traditional release patterns for their comic-book films, which is giving the competition confidence in doing the same. They gave Black Panther a February release date before Deadpool became a breakout hit. People were naysaying them releasing CA:TWS in April... then that became one of the biggest films of 2014.

If Marvel decided to release a prime title like Captain Marvel in January 2019 -- they would eliminate that month's stigma too. People want to see movies year-round, they don't care which month.

Look at Warners' IT. That movie was expected to break September records, but it exceeded predictions. No one expected that film to do MCU-level business in the heart of back-to-school season ($123M opening, $688M worldwide). So if studios have a potential breakout film on their hands and the rest of the prime dates are taken, they have to take a chance with an unproven month.
I imagine Suicide Squad 2 will be WB's February 2020 film. I think for a superhero film to be released in September, they'd probably go for something that doesn't have a high budget. If Justice League Dark is greenlit, then I could see WB going for September or October.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:34 PM   #123
ManWithNoName18
Side-Kick

New Variety article on JL fallout
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/dc...ue-1202632214/

Big points

- Jon Berg is out, and will be moving to another WB division, WB is currently looking for his replacement
- Johns is still in
-No current plans on a separate "DC studios"
-Snyder is not coming back to direct JL 2 like originally planned or any other DC movie.
-They believe Affleck in Reeve's Batman is unlikely

Old 12-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #124
Boom
I got nothin'

Yeah, why have a separate DC Studio? Not like that benefitted Marvel at all.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:36 PM   #125
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

If you aren't happy with the decisions that are being made by the head honchos of a division, your solution is not to create even more distance between you and that division. I think it's obvious why they want to keep a closer eye on DC films for now.

Aziz
Closed Thread