The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 02-19-2018, 12:11 AM   #1
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Default Superman: Brainiac Attacks (2006) question

Superman: Brainiac Attacks is one of the few DC animated movies I've never seen. I understand that although it borrows some character designs and voice actors from the DCAU it's not set in that continuity (although I see some fans online arguing that it is). I also hear it's pretty bad - at least when compared to STAS. Does anybody here actually like/recommend it? And what are your thoughts on the question of its continuity?

Edit: Okay, I've now seen it. I'm glad I didn't buy it.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite

Last edited by Milk Tray Guy; 03-01-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:08 AM   #2
Superchan
Side-Kick

Default Re: Superman: Brainiac Attacks (2006) question

IMO it's absolutely terrible and should be skipped.
As for continuity, you can consider it in continuity if you like....or not, it doesn't contradict anything that happened in STAS as opposed to say JL, which contradicted STAS by making Stuart the original GL and not Rayner.

Superchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:13 AM   #3
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Yeah it’s really bad, you can tell it wasn’t a Timm production and Romano was nowhere to be seen. The only good bit is when Superman goes to the Phantom Zone. Why they didn’t just get the STAS crew to do it I will never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchan View Post
As for continuity, you can consider it in continuity if you like....or not, it doesn't contradict anything that happened in STAS as opposed to say JL, which contradicted STAS by making Stuart the original GL and not Rayner.
They didn’t contradict that. It’s later explained in the JLU episode “The Return” that Kyle Rayner had left Earth with Stewart taking over. Never in the series do they make out that Stuart was the first human GL.

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #4
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel the Pizzas

I'm a DCAU fanatic, and I'll even admit that this one should be avoided. The voices in Brainiac Attacks are unbearable. Avoid Mystery of the Batwoman as well.

Rorschach2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
I'm a DCAU fanatic, and I'll even admit that this one should be avoided. The voices in Brainiac Attacks are unbearable. Avoid Mystery of the Batwoman as well.
I actually didn't mind Mystery of the Batwoman.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:18 PM   #6
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I actually didn't mind Mystery of the Batwoman.
Ditto. I don't think MotB is great but it's okay. In fact I rewatched it just a couple of weeks ago.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Old 02-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #7
Superchan
Side-Kick

Quote:

They didn’t contradict that. It’s later explained in the JLU episode “The Return” that Kyle Rayner had left Earth with Stewart taking over. Never in the series do they make out that Stuart was the first human GL.
They did actually according to Timm who said (right before JL's premier) that we're 'just pretending that the STAS episode with GL didn't happen'
And even in the 'return' where Timm and co. somewhat tried to fix the continuity error, Katma tui told Steward that 'you're even worse than that Rayner kid you sent me', which indicated that Stewart came before Rayner.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #8
fan4stic
Side-Kick

Quote:
They did actually according to Timm who said (right before JL's premier) that we're 'just pretending that the STAS episode with GL didn't happen'
And even in the 'return' where Timm and co. somewhat tried to fix the continuity error, Katma tui told Steward that 'you're even worse than that Rayner kid you sent me', which indicated that Stewart came before Rayner.
Not necessarily. I'd say that's not a massive contradiction either way.

fan4stic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:35 PM   #9
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Quote:
Yeah it’s really bad, you can tell it wasn’t a Timm production and Romano was nowhere to be seen. The only good bit is when Superman goes to the Phantom Zone. Why they didn’t just get the STAS crew to do it I will never know.
Do you know if it was ever intended to be connected to the DCAU (as Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths was adapted from a script originally intended to bridge JL and JLU) before they decided to make it its own thing?

Last edited by Milk Tray Guy; 02-19-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:18 AM   #10
Superchan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan4stic View Post
Not necessarily. I'd say that's not a massive contradiction either way.
Honestly I could careless about continuity, the DCAU was fantastic overall and that's all that matters.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:18 PM   #11
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

I've seen one fan online who's found a place for Brainiac Attacks in the DCAU by placing it in the Justice Lords universe, before the events of A Better World. Inventive, I guess!

Old 02-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #12
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk Tray Guy View Post
I've seen one fan online who's found a place for Brainiac Attacks in the DCAU by placing it in the Justice Lords universe, before the events of A Better World. Inventive, I guess!
I’ll buy that

Old 02-23-2018, 12:01 AM   #13
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

I have literally never heard of this movie. I guess this thread is telling me why, lol.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:03 AM   #14
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Ha, I guess!

Old 02-23-2018, 01:48 AM   #15
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
I have literally never heard of this movie. I guess this thread is telling me why, lol.
Yeah seriously don’t waste your time lol

Old 02-23-2018, 02:39 AM   #16
Superchan
Side-Kick

The worst thing about that movie was what they did to poor lex, he was almost as cartoony as Eisenberg's lex. Also that movie proved that only Corey Burton should do the voice of brainiac.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:53 AM   #17
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

I thought John Noble was a good Brainiac voice in Unbound.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:41 AM   #18
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Yeah he was fantastic. Corey Burton is not the only guy who can voice Brainiac but he's the only one who should voice Brainiac with the STAS design.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:28 AM   #19
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Quote:
Noble was excellent.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:27 PM   #20
InfinityWar
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, you're not missing much.

I hated the fact of how they portrayed Lex Luthor. They made him like Gene Hackman's Luthor. Just a goofy comical villain.

The sad part is Superman Animated Series was one of the best animated shows ever made, right behind Batman Animated Series. The series was SO GOOD, and it can be enjoyed for all ages. Brainaic Attacks! was made for kids. It looks like Superman Animated Series, but you can tell by writing it shouldtn be in the same universe.

I could go on and on about how AWESOME Superman Animated Series is. I wish they made more episodes, but they went with Justice League series instead. But this thread is making me think of Superman episodes. The show is under rated bc Batman Animated Series was so good, so it overshadowed Superman Animated.

One of the coolest episodes that showed how awesome the writing was in Superman Animated was the episode where Lois went into a different dimension where Superman & Lex took over the world. Freaking amazing.

InfinityWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:33 PM   #21
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Quote:
The worst thing about that movie was what they did to poor lex, he was almost as cartoony as Eisenberg's lex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityWar View Post
I hated the fact of how they portrayed Lex Luthor. They made him like Gene Hackman's Luthor. Just a goofy comical villain.
I've read that was intentional to tie in with the live-action Superman Returns which was released the same year. They wanted a Luthor more along the lines of Hackman's version which Spacey would be aping in SR.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:46 PM   #22
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Quote:
I've just watched it. Definitely not one to add to my collection.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:23 AM   #23
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

This just aired on SyFy and my goodness, y'all weren't kidding. What rubbish!

Old 03-19-2018, 11:34 AM   #24
Herofan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityWar View Post
I like comical Lex but not when he looks like the Clancy Brown version.

Herofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:24 PM   #25
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Quote:
This just aired on SyFy and my goodness, y'all weren't kidding. What rubbish!
If I want to watch a Superman/Brainiac movie I think I'll stick with Superman: Unbound!