The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 03-15-2018, 05:14 PM   #26
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Default Re: New gods. Ava DuVernay to direct

Kane, bro you really think she woudn't have been in negotiations for the last 3 months or so? You don;t just announce something like this in day's.

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:14 PM   #27
Chip Chipperson
I’m in charge here

Yassssss Queen?

Chip Chipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:15 PM   #28
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel the Pizzas

Holy ****ing ****!!! yes!!!!!

Rorschach2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:15 PM   #29
Guts
Gul

Cast Danny Devito as Oberon.

Guts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:16 PM   #30
LoganGambit87
Side-Kick

best thing about this news is ava gets another chance at a blockbuster as a woman especially a black woman i didn't think she would get the opportunity its awesome since many men especially white men have had big flops and still got big budget work

LoganGambit87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:19 PM   #31
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Also the white man fails and keeps getting jobs everywhere not just Hollywood. Ain't nothing' wrong with a few bumps in the road.

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:20 PM   #32
David H.
¯\_(?)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guts View Post
Cast Danny Devito as Oberon.
Charlie Day as Mister Miracle.

David H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:21 PM   #33
Erik Lensherr
Side-Kick

Oh my gosh!

Erik Lensherr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:21 PM   #34
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Regardless of A Wrinkle in Time's problems with its script and CGI, the movie still demonstrated some very cool visuals. Like the hallway shots when Meg was reunited with her father. AWIT is a good movie for DuVernay to cut her teeth with. She has a little more experience with big budgets and CGI going into this movie.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #35
Boom
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
I might just go ahead and use my MoviePass on AWiT this weekend to see if I can spot any silver linings with this hiring. Everything I’d heard and seen of the film was just all kinds of dreadful, but I gotta find hope somewhere…

At the very least she needs a new VFX and art team.

I’m really curious when she signed the dotted line. After this weekend people were convinced her days of directing 100+ million dollar pics were over. But you can’t skimp cash on a Fourth World movie. So are WB really going to take a massive risk with her on this? This is all the makings of another eleventh-hour restructuring and intervention.
In terms of scale, New Gods is certainly more in line with A Wrinkle in Time than it is with something like Selma. But A Wrinkle in Time doesn't suddenly nullify her work on Selma, which is a magnificent character piece. She's an intelligent filmmaker, and even the best filmmakers end up with a dud on their resume. It shouldn't keep her from getting more opportunities like this. If nothing else, A Wrinkle in Time shows that she has a unique visual style that lends itself very well to the sort of "out there" visuals you find in the Fourth World. Really, the movie's problems mainly stemmed from narrative missteps, so it was more of a script issue than anything else. On that note, I'm very curious to see who they get on scripting duties for this one.

Now, how much money WB is willing to invest in this is the big question. New Gods is basically the Bible of DC Comics. It's DC's equivalent to Lord of the Rings. You can't cheap out on this one. This has to be a balls-to-the-wall, swing-for-the-fences sort of project.

Last edited by Boom; 03-15-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #36
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
I might just go ahead and use my MoviePass on AWiT this weekend to see if I can spot any silver linings with this hiring. Everything I’d heard and seen of the film was just all kinds of dreadful, but I gotta find hope somewhere…

At the very least she needs a new VFX and art team.

I’m really curious when she signed the dotted line. After this weekend people were convinced her days of directing 100+ million dollar pics were over. But you can’t skimp cash on a Fourth World movie. So are WB really going to take a massive risk with her on this? This is all the makings of another eleventh-hour restructuring and intervention.
It may be that she just needs to stop making movies where emotions are the action scenes. Maybe one where monsters are just monsters and not metaphysical concepts. That takes a LOT of weight off your VFX and art team, honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganGambit87 View Post
best thing about this news is ava gets another chance at a blockbuster as a woman especially a black woman i didn't think she would get the opportunity its awesome since many men especially white men have had big flops and still got big budget work
THAT is the surprising thing. Usually if a Black person makes a misstep, that's curtains for their career. I think she's playing the game well, having this lined up going into AWIT, where now she's got Oprah on her side and while middling, can say she's the director who filmed the unfilmable, and that's what she would need to make a movie about Big Barda, who she said long ago was her favorite. This might just be genius on her part.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:24 PM   #37
Leo Zelinsky
Mutie

Wonder how much racebending she'll do.

Don't really like DC but I like Ava so I'll see it

Leo Zelinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:29 PM   #38
Guts
Gul

This tweet from a few weeks ago.
https://twitter.com/DanielRPK/status...652409344?s=19

Old 03-15-2018, 05:30 PM   #39
Fincher
Too far gone

I just don't care about getting a New Gods movie. It's pretty much at the bottom of the list of DC movies in development for me, regardless of who's directing it.

Fincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:30 PM   #40
Chip Chipperson
I’m in charge here

New Gods was never my jam but if she manages to stay on the project, they’ll make it happen

Chip Chipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:31 PM   #41
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I guess not everyone was surprised! Wow.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:35 PM   #42
Guts
Gul

Oscar Isaac is my fancast for Mister Miracle.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:41 PM   #43
misslane38
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guts View Post
Oscar Isaac is my fancast for Mister Miracle.

misslane38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:42 PM   #44
geetard
Rebirth

Well, if I get to see one of my favourite DCU couples...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Oprah as Granny Goodness

I expect nothing less!
Noooo, it must be Ed Asner!

geetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:43 PM   #45
Zant
Side-Kick

Quote:
"It did poorly both critically and financially? Sign her up!" - WB execs
Female directors should get second chances too, you know.....

Zant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:44 PM   #46
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Hmm. I just don't picture The New Gods as one film. To me this needs to be a Lord of the Rings type deal. But I of course know that ain't happening. I "like" Ava via her interviews over the years but I haven't seen any of her films yet, so I can't really comment on her as a director. Guess we'll see if this pans out...

"We're living in a world where we're having our rights taken away by giant corporations, and [fanboys] were cheering for another corporation to eventually take our rights away...because we'll get superhero movies!" --writer Brandon Easton on the Disney/Fox merger

https://www.facebook.com/MythworldeMedia/
RockSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:50 PM   #47
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganGambit87 View Post
I know she singled out Guy Ritchie a couple days ago and there is a point to that, but I’d argue reputation and clout are also huge factors in allowing those “second chances” at blockbusters. Off the top of my head, I can’t really name an up-and-coming white male director who flopped at their big chance and still got a do-over soon after. I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
In terms of scale, New Gods is certainly more in line with A Wrinkle in Time than it is with something like Selma. But A Wrinkle in Time doesn't suddenly nullify her work on Selma, which is a magnificent character piece. She's an intelligent filmmaker, and even the best filmmakers end up with a dud on their resume. It shouldn't keep her from getting more opportunities like this. If nothing else, A Wrinkle in Time shows that she has a unique visual style that lends itself very well to the sort of "out there" visuals you find in the Fourth World. Really, the movie's problems mainly stemmed from narrative missteps, so it was more of a script issue than anything else.
Have you seen the film?

I’ve only ever looked at the first two trailers, but the visuals were hideous in my opinion. Oprah and co. looked like something out of a wonky stage play, and I couldn’t help but laugh at the floating lettuce that was featured everywhere. Granted it’s a kid’s movie, but it couldn’t be further from attractive. I honestly dread what's in store for the New Gods if this is any indication of her directive.

I’ve already ragged on Snyder for his sloppy green screen work, I fear we’re stepping right back into that territory. They really needed someone of George Miller's capability to take the reins on this. Shame of that legal dispute.

Jekecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:51 PM   #48
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Oprah as Granny Goodness

I expect nothing less!
Her costume in A Wrinkle In Time does kinda have Granny Goodness feel to it.

Based on rumors, she and Oprah would probably have to reconcile a little bit by that point.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #49
Tacit Ronin
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Zelinsky View Post
Wonder how much racebending she'll do.

Don't really like DC but I like Ava so I'll see it
Hopefully as many as possible. Nothing is funnier than oversensitive fanboys. The threads on Zendaya and Zazie Beetz are goldmines of hilarity.

Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:55 PM   #50
Boom
I got nothin'

Jekecy,

Yeah I've seen it. Didn't care for it at all. Still, is Oprah's outfit that much more ridiculous than what Granny Goodness runs around in? The special effects were unimpressive, but I quite enjoyed the designs themselves.

All I'm saying is this. Different project, different screenwriter, and presumably a different creative team. I really enjoyed Selma, so I'm much more comfortable giving her another chance at a film of this scale. Selma is better than most films on the resumes of other DCEU directors.