The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 03-17-2018, 05:44 PM   #201
MbJ
Side-Kick

Default Re: New gods. Ava DuVernay to direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddydivine View Post
I feel like this has been said already... but haven't the white male directors in the DCEU been responsible for the worst of the DCEU movies? What is the outrage about anyway? Some incredibly far fetched scenario where Superman becomes mexican?

One... ONE... black women gets a DC movie and you're upset? Over a single black woman getting to direct New Gods?
The same reason you can have bombs like Green Lantern that don't impede the amount of superhero movies starring white dudes being made, but stuff like Catwoman killed female and minority-led superhero movies for over a decade.

MbJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:03 PM   #202
Elayis
Side-Kick

I'm not as big a fan of DuVernay as most people (I thought Selma was just okay, 13th was rather ham-fisted and won't be seeing A Wrinkle in Time), but this is definitely a coup for WB. I'm all for comic book movies getting made by mainstream directors with a vision, and at the very least it can't be worse than what Snyder & Ayer have delivered.

DC is making major strides in improving with Jenkins' WW2, Reeves' Batman and now New Gods. I'm much more excited by this lineup than anything Marvel might have in the pipe (other than BP2).

1 The Dark Knight 2 Batman Begins 3 X-Men 4 Iron Man 5 Dark Knight Rises 6 X2 7 Kick-Ass 8 Hulk 9 Spider-Man 10 X-Men: First Class 11 Spider-Man 2 12 Superman: The Movie 13 Constantine '05 14 Age of Ultron 15 Black Panther 16 Wonder Woman
Elayis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:13 PM   #203
daddydivine
I'm black, I can say it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elayis View Post
I'm not as big a fan of DuVernay as most people (I thought Selma was just okay, 13th was rather ham-fisted and won't be seeing A Wrinkle in Time), but this is definitely a coup for WB. I'm all for comic book movies getting made by mainstream directors with a vision, and at the very least it can't be worse than what Snyder & Ayer have delivered.

DC is making major strides in improving with Jenkins' WW2, Reeves' Batman and now New Gods. I'm much more excited by this lineup than anything Marvel might have in the pipe (other than BP2).
I wouldn't mind a Jenkins directed Superman. I like the feel of Wonder Woman and I think thats what Superman needs. Plus keeping the same tone for Superman and Wonder Woman works... not so much Batman. The only issue I have with Ava is that directors who haven't done large action set pieces tend to underwhelm in that department.

Last edited by daddydivine; 03-17-2018 at 06:16 PM.
daddydivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:15 PM   #204
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MbJ View Post
The same reason you can have bombs like Green Lantern that don't impede the amount of superhero movies starring white dudes being made, but stuff like Catwoman killed female and minority-led superhero movies for over a decade.
I think the back-to-back-to-back flops of Catwoman, Blade, and Elektra contributed to much of that hesitance.

Jekecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:16 PM   #205
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

She did a wrinkle in time, now hopefully she's learned. Hopefully enough to improve on her work and build new gods into a worthy cbm.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:19 PM   #206
daddydivine
I'm black, I can say it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
I think the back-to-back-to-back flops of Catwoman, Blade, and Elektra contributed to much of that hesitance.
Wait. Blade? you mean Blade 3?

Old 03-17-2018, 06:21 PM   #207
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddydivine View Post
Wait. Blade? you mean Blade 3?
Yep. All three of those were released roughly within a year. I imagine it was hard for other studios to push more big-budget tentpoles with those freshly in the air.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:31 PM   #208
MbJ
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's sorta my point. Those were taken as proof black/minority-led movies don't sell when if you were to list the superhero movies starring white males that have bombed or been declared terrible, we'd be here all night.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:36 PM   #209
daddydivine
I'm black, I can say it.

Quote:
Yep. All three of those were released roughly within a year. I imagine it was hard for other studios to push more big-budget tentpoles with those freshly in the air.
Which is sad because Jean-Christophe "Pitof" Comar directed Catwoman, David S. Goyer directed Blade Trinity, and Rob Bowman directed Elektra.

Not like they got the cream of the crop on those movies. Also, two white male directors... and a french guy. Maybe diversity behind the camera could have helped.

Seems to have worked for Black Panther and Wonder Woman. TWO movies that prove minority led films can work gangbusters.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:42 PM   #210
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's sorta my point. Those were taken as proof black/minority-led movies don't sell when if you were to list the superhero movies starring white males that have bombed or been declared terrible, we'd be here all night.
To that point, wouldn't you count the successes of X-Men and Spider-Man as more incentive for the studio heads to keep trying? Easier to let a couple failures pass by when you have "proof" the peaks are attainable.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:01 PM   #211
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guts View Post
I wonder who will be the protagonist.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Oberon + Darkseid duo.

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:12 PM   #212
MbJ
Side-Kick

Quote:
To that point, wouldn't you count the successes of X-Men and Spider-Man as more incentive for the studio heads to keep trying?
And we've had successful black-led movies and successful female led ones (if not necessarily superhero ones), yet that myth still persisted until just recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
Oberon + Darkseid duo.

Let's do it.

Last edited by MbJ; 03-17-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:13 PM   #213
Guts
Gul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
Oberon + Darkseid duo.

The movie should just be a series of scenes where Darkseid is lounging around on various couches.
http://darkseidchillingonacouch.tumblr.com/

Guts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #214
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

My guess is we'll see a DCUAOM featuring the New Gods before long. WB/DC often try things in animation before moving on to live-action. The last featured appearance of Apokolips, Darkseid, Barda, Granny and the Furies I know of was in Superman/Batman: Apocalypse (2010) which I liked a lot.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:38 PM   #215
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Let's do it.

Yes please.

Quote:
The movie should just be a series of scenes where Darkseid is lounging around on various couches.
http://darkseidchillingonacouch.tumblr.com/
Greater comedy than This comment has been redacted for the safety of this site. No one needs more serious discussions stemming from a passing joke of a comment comparing this to a movie that needs to not be named.

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #216
Guts
Gul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk Tray Guy View Post
My guess is we'll see a DCUAOM featuring the New Gods before long. WB/DC often try things in animation before moving on to live-action. The last featured appearance of Apokolips, Darkseid, Barda, Granny and the Furies I know of was in Superman/Batman: Apocalypse (2010) which I liked a lot.
They were also in Justice League: Gods and Monsters.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #217
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Quote:
They were also in Justice League: Gods and Monsters.
Ah, I've yet to see that one

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Old 03-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #218
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Quote:
Possibly, but after a year there's still been not much reported movement on either a Constantine or JL Dark live-action movie, whilst another animated Suicide Squad is coming up.

Gunn_______Whedon________Kinberg
Reed________Goyer
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #219
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kt09 View Post
Possibly, but after a year there's still been not much reported movement on either a Constantine or JL Dark live-action movie, whilst another animated Suicide Squad is coming up.
Yes, that's a shame about JLD. I really liked the animated movie.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:59 PM   #220
Guts
Gul

Quote:
Ah, I've yet to see that one
It's a completely original animated movie not based on a specific comic. The movie is set in an alternate universe where Zod is Superman's father instead of Jor-El, Kirk Langstrom is Batman, and Wonder Woman is one of the New Gods instead of an Amazonian.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:02 PM   #221
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Quote:
It's a completely original animated movie not based on a specific comic. The movie is set in an alternate universe where Zod is Superman's father instead of Jor-El, Kirk Langstrom is Batman, and Wonder Woman is one of the New Gods instead of an Amazonian.
Okay, I definitely have to see this!

Old 03-17-2018, 10:14 PM   #222
superman-mos
Side-Kick

I’m a big fan of The New Gods, especially Mr.Miracle. Honestly this news has gotten me hyped for this and the epicness it could be. Just a few thoughts on casting

Darkseid: Javier Bradem
Highfather: Frank Langella
Orion : Alexander Skarsgard
Lightray: Joseph Gordon Levitt
Mister Miracle : John Krasinski
Big Barda: Gwendolyn Christie
Metron: Lance Reddick
Bug the Forager: Daniel Radcliffe
Granny Goodness: Helena Bonham Carter
Desaad:Kenneth Branagh
Glorious Godfrey: Colin Firth
Mad Harriett : Lena Heady
Bloody Mary: Carrie Ann Moss
Lashena: Famke Janssen
Steppenwolf: Ciaran Hinds
Kanto: Eric Bana

superman-mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:27 PM   #223
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman-mos View Post
Highfather: Frank Langella
I like that

Quote:
Granny Goodness: Helena Bonham Carter
Having trouble seeing that though.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:28 PM   #224
Iceman
Infinity War!

This could be a big deal if they get it right.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:29 PM   #225
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel the Pizzas

Quote:
I like that

Having trouble seeing that though.
Look no further than Big Fish, Alice in Wonderland or Harry Potter if you can't see it.

I've always liked her for Granny Goodness.

Meryl Streep would work too. She might be down to do it too, she isn't above genre stuff

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote