Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #976
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - Part 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastStorm98 View Post
She pushed for Storm to get action.
And I appreciate that. But Halle will never be Storm to me. And that's not entirely her fault: FOX as a studio doesn't know what to do with the character. They've managed to take one of the world's most beautiful actresses and one of comic's greatest heroines and create an unrecognizable, bland mess of a character. There isn't a spark of fire in Halle's Storm. After 13 years I'm still trying to figure it out.

X1 was the honest first and last time Halle was close to feeling/looking authentic as Storm. Then the Americanized Soccer Momification began and it's been SINO ever since. I wonder which version will show up in DoFP?

Old 12-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #977
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Agreed about Storm. What a mess. When I re watch X1, I'm reminded she actually played Storm once.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #978
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

agreed.

I like Halle Berry but she was miscast and as Storm and I don't think they have ever really nailed the character in the movies.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #979
DigificWriter
Banned User

Fans seriously need to stop acting like whiny crybabies.

Stuff gets cut from movies all the freaking time; that's just the way it goes, and it's ludicrous to act like it's a criminal offense when it happens.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #980
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
Agreed about Storm. What a mess. When I re watch X1, I'm reminded she actually played Storm once.
Yep: she was trying back then; even with the accent. Then someone got lazy: I don't know if it was Halle, Bryan or whoever. But by X2 there was an abandonment of Storm's cultural roots and an embracing of this idea to just let Halle play herself in a wig. They literally pitched every remotely recognizable comic trait and just went with something else.

For DOFP's Storm I have none of the optimism I had prior to X3. Now it's like "Meh, let's just get this over with, close one eye, pick out the best and ignore the rest". Hopefully Halle won't have a lot of lines because that light, wispy, meek-ass voice they make her use is irritating as hell.

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 12-22-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #981
def28
Side-Kick

Edit nevermind

Last edited by def28; 12-22-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #982
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
Fans seriously need to stop acting like whiny crybabies.

Stuff gets cut from movies all the freaking time; that's just the way it goes, and it's ludicrous to act like it's a criminal offense when it happens.
But they're allowed to complain about it, and there's no need to call anyone a "whiny crybaby" for doing so. Let's curb that kind of talk, please.

”We live in times when hate and fear seem stronger. We rise and fall, and light from dying embers: remembrances that hope and love last longer. And love is love is love is love is love is love is love cannot be killed or swept aside."
Old 12-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #983
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Ironically, calling someone a whiny crybaby is being a whiny crybaby. So now after this post, I'm a whiny crybaby about a whiny crybaby who was upset about my initial crying baby whineyness. It's Whineception.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #984
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
Ironically, calling someone a whiny crybaby is being a whiny crybaby. So now after this post, I'm a whiny crybaby about a whiny crybaby who was upset about my initial crying baby whineyness. It's Whineception.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #985
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

That post was pretty awesome.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #986
Loki882
Side-Kick

Casting Halle at the time was probably a smart move. A lot of people who complain about the films, especially the earlier ones, either don't understand the context and time period that they were made in, or are just out and out ignoring it. They were not sure that this franchise would sell, nothing like it had ever been tried before. Halle was one of the biggest actresses in Hollywood at that time. She'd win an Oscar a few years later. They cast her because they thought that she was a great actress and that her star power could help sell the movie to a wider audience. It made sense at the time. In retrospect, it was not the best casting choice, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #987
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Casting Halle at the time was probably a smart move. A lot of people who complain about the films, especially the earlier ones, either don't understand the context and time period that they were made in, or are just out and out ignoring it. They were not sure that this franchise would sell, nothing like it had ever been tried before. Halle was one of the biggest actresses in Hollywood at that time. She'd win an Oscar a few years later. They cast her because they thought that she was a great actress and that her star power could help sell the movie to a wider audience. It made sense at the time. In retrospect, it was not the best casting choice, but hindsight is always 20/20.
Good points, and they're true.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #988
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Halle Berry wasn't one of the biggest actresses in Hollywood when she was cast in X-Men in 1999. Not many people even knew her name despite her having been an actress for over a decade at that point. She was a talented up and comer though.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #989
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

I only knew her from the Flinstones.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #990
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

I had seen Berry in Bulworth, The Last Boy Scout, The Flintstones, Boomerang and Executive Decision but I didn't know who she was until she was 'famous'. She was just another one of those actors that are in stuff that you don't realize until after they are more well known.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #991
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Of course, she wasn't as big as she was now but context is key. She was one of the only up and coming African-American actresses during that time.

It's 2013 and look how hard it still is for movies to find and cast African-American actresses in leading roles - think about how hard it was in 2000. Even if you don't like her in the role she certainly was a trailblazer within the superhero realm.

As someone already pointed out, hindsight is always 20/20.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #992
xrs13
Cold as ice

I honestly think people just see Storm how they want to see her and no Actress will ever live up to that. I have seen people of loads of forums say they would rather have people like Tyra Banks, Naomi Campbell, Angela Bassett and even Iman playing Storm. That is a seriously divided list, and yeah Angela Bassett is the closest but again, at the time Halle was perfect for the role. A really attractive african american young woman who had the acting ability and who was on the increase in notoriety. She was close to being the storm I imagine in X1 and then X2 I thought, this is what I have wanted, If she just had the accent from X1. I didnt like her in X3 because I felt she went too against jean too easily. But that wasnt Halle's fault.

I agree with everyone that says hindsight, however I think the hindsight isnt in casting her, I think its how the Character was handled through the OT.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #993
EnDz0n3
Marvel Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Why would that not be the case? Did people expect something different about a movie we all knew was set 50 years ago?
Xavier and Magneto? Sure. Mystique ? Not so much. The character was obviously shoe- horned in to FC as Xavier's foster sister.

With what we know about the characters and the trilogy, it just seems wrong to have this character be so prevalent in these films. That said, Rebecca's Mystique was awesome.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #994
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Why is it wrong? Why is wrong to give a character who was relatively silent in the first three movies a nice, meaty backstory?

Mystique is a multi-layered character in the comics who hasn't always been defined as absolutely evil and absolutely good. She's blurred the lines between both on a routine basis. Why is it bad or out of the ordinary to want to give her more substance in the movie-verse. She's more than just a a acrobatic, kickass femme fatale. She's just as iconic as any of the other X-Men characters we've been clamoring for.

Not to mention, they've now grabbed up one of the biggest young acting talents currently out there to portray her. They would be stupid not to use that to their advantage.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #995
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrs13 View Post
I honestly think people just see Storm how they want to see her and no Actress will ever live up to that. I have seen people of loads of forums say they would rather have people like Tyra Banks, Naomi Campbell, Angela Bassett and even Iman playing Storm. That is a seriously divided list, and yeah Angela Bassett is the closest but again, at the time Halle was perfect for the role. A really attractive african american young woman who had the acting ability and who was on the increase in notoriety. She was close to being the storm I imagine in X1 and then X2 I thought, this is what I have wanted, If she just had the accent from X1. I didnt like her in X3 because I felt she went too against jean too easily. But that wasnt Halle's fault.

I agree with everyone that says hindsight, however I think the hindsight isnt in casting her, I think its how the Character was handled through the OT.
Iman was the real-world inspiration for the look of comic book Storm when she was introduced in 1975, so that's understandable. Too old now, though, even though she is still stunning at 58. Great casting possibility for Storm's mother if ever they bothered to look at the backstory of the character.

French-Portuguese actress Sara Martins (of west African descent, and who I saw on a crime drama series called Death in Paradise) is my choice for the role, though she is now 36. Perfect exotic accent.

Halle was a good choice too; it's just the wig, costume, accent and general on-screen look that's a letdown most of the time. Over all the films so far we have had a reasonable attempt at Storm, but far from a perfect one.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #996
JackMercy
Side-Kick

I still maintain Bassett was a big missed opportunity.

Perhaps there's still a chance for an Alice Eve-Emma Frost.

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)
Old 12-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #997
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMercy View Post
I still maintain Bassett was a big missed opportunity.

Perhaps there's still a chance for an Alice Eve-Emma Frost.

Wasn't it already revealed quite a while ago that Bassett was offered to play Storm but she declined?

Old 12-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #998
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
Wasn't it already revealed quite a while ago that Bassett was offered to play Storm but she declined?
I thought that was an urban myth on teh internetz, the place where someone wishes something and it becomes fact in 18 seconds.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #999
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I thought that was an urban myth on teh internertz, the place where someone wishes something and it becomes fact in 18 seconds.
i heard she was in for the role of charles xavier too but turned it down (waits 18 seconds)

J.J. Abrams “We are standing on the shoulders of Episodes I through VI.”

(Always Manage Expectations.)
Old 12-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #1000
JackMercy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
Regardless -- it's what I would have liked to have seen (James Cameron agreed)...and perhaps it would have helped the tone of the series overall...

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)
Closed Thread