The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 08-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #301
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: HOT!!! New Interview w/ Bryan Singer! (August 20th)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post

They were chums in Jean's parking lot.
That took place 20 years before Magneto tried to frame him.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #302
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
That took place 20 years before Magneto tried to frame him.
No, when Xavier, Storm and Logan went to go get Jean, Xavier and Magneto still seemed chummy, at least to me. To "visit an old friend".

My point is, there were a lot of loose X2 threads that were never addressed in X3.

Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #303
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006
holy crap over at CBM they have an article calling first class the worst comic book movie in history

comic fans are the worst fans i have ever met

they literally think it will suck because cyclops is not in

how sad is that

For Christ's sake....you still don't get it do you? It's not just about "sucking for sake of suck" because Cykes is not in the film. Let me help you:

Cyclops has played second fiddle to Bryan Singer's Golden Child (Wolverine) in the first two X-films and then was unceremoniously killed at the beginning of X3, so that Wolverine could command his X-Men team and face his longtime love Jean as the Dark Phoenix. Translation: Scott has been in Logan's shadow from day one. He even lost his girl to him. That is all kinds of f****d up. Therefore, Cyclops has never enjoyed the true leadership status that he has had in Marvel comics for the greater part of 40 years.

Now, in a timeframe when he is supposed to be Xavier's first recruit (the ORIGINAL X-Man) he is not even going to be in the film. Instead his younger brother is taking that space.

You honestly don't understand the fan's outrage over this?

Old 08-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #304
FaT_tONle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by the a1ant View Post
^I know. I guess they're disconnecting from X3 and Wolverine.

They should put Omega Red in this too, since Russia's involved in some capacity.
Yeah... hell maybe Wolverine 3 and FC 2 could be merged into one, where Wolverine takes on Omega Red, fails, then the FC has to finish him off. Not gonna happen though. We'll probably never see him. CGI would be too expensive.

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #305
Piz
Blackbird Fly Away

I have to say... I don't think I'm all that excited for this film anymore.

"I dare you to take control. 'Cause empty are hands and bruised are the souls of those who show no resistance... those who are weak below. We are the DISENCHANTED, who die with each passing day. No one here understand us." - Alter Bridge
Piz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:21 PM   #306
Storm22
Side-Kick

Hmmm. I'm not sure what to think of this movie now.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #307
jor2585

So no one thinks that the reason Scott and Jean aren't in this is because they actually ARE trying to pay attention to continuity from x3 and Wolverine? We already saw them both be recruited. We know they were early students of Xaviers. They're not going to show us those exact same scenes again. Out of respect for the continuity in the other films, we'll see some time pass over the course of the film, and we'll know that those scenes of Xavier walking and recruiting his team happened during that time.

Now if they said that Scott was going to be in this movie, then I would have said there was a continuity problem, because there was no way they were going to make any connection to Xavier rescuing him from 3-mile island.
You guys have your complaining backwards.

I have a feeling this will be the best X-men film they've made based on everything I've read so far.

jor2585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #308
Angamb
Banned User

I have the same feeling too.

At the same time I feel a bit bad for the fans of Scott, Jean and Ororo, but hopefully, one day theyll get the treatment they deserve.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #309
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
I have the same feeling too.

At the same time I feel a bit bad for the fans of Scott, Jean and Ororo, but hopefully, one day theyll get the treatment they deserve.
I think most of us have resigned ourselves to the fact that that is likely NEVER going to happen with this current franchise.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #310
Angamb
Banned User

I know.

But if First Class 2 is ever made, it will be THEIR Time, finally.

We have to wait more years.... yet. But one day guys, one day.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #311
Lightning Strykez!

We've been saying that for 10 years now.

I am just going to stick to my comics and regard the films as merely alternate realities. Like a total..."What If" scenario. :

Old 08-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #312
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Wow, okay, well I'm reporting in from Madrid (where it's more than 36 C and the air is so darned hot it feels like a hairdryer blowing on me).

So much freaking out, so much negativity.

Let's get back to basics. I can see some education is needed!

The X-Men comic was first published in September 1963, a month after Martin Luther King told everyone 'I have a dream.' The reason the X-Men were created by Stan Lee was because of the political climate of the time, specifically the civil rights movement. So the 60s setting makes sense.

Now, most of that first X-Men team in the comics wouldn't be around in the 60s based on the movies. So it makes sense that only Beast is there from that first group.

So far so good. We get into questions with Xavier having hair (against comic book continuity, as he lost it when his powers emerged) and with Emma Frost being included (against Wolverine continuity, although the Wolverine version only seemed to have the diamond power not the telepathy, and i bet the First Class version will only have the telepathy).

Sebastian Shaw was only a superbrief mention on a TV show in X2, so i guess we can definitely forgive that being ignored.

But they could have got round it by having a Hellfire Club consist of other people such as Sinister and Selene. It didn't need to be Shaw and Frost. Bacon could be Sinister, Jones could be Selene. I feel the influence of Singer here - he likes Frost and Shaw and he had plans to introduce them at some point in the previous films.

I am fine with the omission of Cyclops and Jean, but would like to see them in a cameo (sequel set-up) at the end as Xavier's first team without Magneto's involvement. That then allows a sequel with Cyke, Jean, Storm, Beast and others and satisfies those who are moaning that it doesn't follow either comic or film continuity.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #313
Angamb
Banned User

Im on Madrid too! :P

And I agreed. I like the idea of this movie. And hope they treat Scott Jean and Ororo like they deserve on a sequel (if made).

But in my heart, I cant wait for X4, with the AMAZING cast they created.

I need to see Ellen Page, Anna Paquin, Ben Foster, Kelsey, Halle... more the return of Gambit, Emma and more characters on a sequel to X3.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:19 PM   #314
SpiderByte
Banned User

Quote:
We've been saying that for 10 years now.

I am just going to stick to my comics and regard the films as merely alternate realities. Like a total..."What If" scenario. :

They are alternate realities. All the films are.

SpiderByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:56 PM   #315
Seen
It's Been Seen

As for people getting outraged at the lack of presence for Scott, Jean and Storm, the film is set in the 60's. So at this stage Scott, Jean and Storm are probably not born yet. While the prime focus will definitely be on Xavier & Magneto, the film will also have Emma Frost, Beast, Havoc, and Mystique, which are pretty recognizable mutant characters in the X-Men lexicon.

The film seems to be primarily about Xavier, Magneto and Sebastian Shaw anyway. It really seems to be about Xavier and Magneto's relationship based on what Singer has been saying all along.

I think people will see it because it's an X-Men movie with the brand name on it. People will see the trailers with a bunch of money shots and the name "X-Men" and they'll buy tickets. I think the only people concerned about recognizable characters are us fans, who are stubborn and just really want to see Scott, Jean and Storm in the film.

The fact that Singer & Vaughn are behind it instills me with a lot of confidence. Just the fact that it'll be a period piece X-Men movie is all kinds of cool to me. I'm really looking forward to this.

Seen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #316
BMM
Side-Kick

I feel the same way. Vaughn's involvement, and the notion of a period peice X-Men movie, is what intrigues me.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #317
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

as said before, this movie will be about magneto and xavier's team which obviously leads to an eventual break-up. then they will go off and form their own respective teams(x-men/brotherhood). we will get to see them build cerebro. im hoping that if using cerebro for the first time xavier gets some physic feedback. he would disregard at first. maybe at the end he will realize it was a powerful mutant. this could lead to a sequel where we see xavier fight shadowking and meet storm.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #318
SpiderByte
Banned User

Looks like Vaughn should just go back to Kick-Ass.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #319
BMM
Side-Kick

What's the rush? You would all probably just complain about how the sequel doesn't match the continuity of the books that haven't even been written or released yet.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #320
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
I know.

But if First Class 2 is ever made, it will be THEIR Time, finally.

We have to wait more years.... yet. But one day guys, one day.

Then First Class 2 is made and Cyclops get a five second cameo at the end where he joins the school. Then in First Class 3 he gets another cameo where he is the class dork getting pushed around by all the other kids. Then they jump to X4 where the opening scene is Wolverine taking a dump on Cyclops' grave.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #321
SpiderByte
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaths Head II View Post
Then they jump to X4 where the opening scene is Wolverine taking a dump on Cyclops' grave.
Singer beat him to it.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #322
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
For Christ's sake....you still don't get it do you? It's not just about "sucking for sake of suck" because Cykes is not in the film. Let me help you:

Cyclops has played second fiddle to Bryan Singer's Golden Child (Wolverine) in the first two X-films and then was unceremoniously killed at the beginning of X3, so that Wolverine could command his X-Men team and face his longtime love Jean as the Dark Phoenix. Translation: Scott has been in Logan's shadow from day one. He even lost his girl to him. That is all kinds of f****d up. Therefore, Cyclops has never enjoyed the true leadership status that he has had in Marvel comics for the greater part of 40 years.

Now, in a timeframe when he is supposed to be Xavier's first recruit (the ORIGINAL X-Man) he is not even going to be in the film. Instead his younger brother is taking that space.

You honestly don't understand the fan's outrage over this?
Thank you for reminding me how ****ing stupid this situation is.

Now I wonder if Singer wouldve done right by Scott in his version of X3.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #323
conan69
Cimmerian

The focus on Wolv I dont believe was all Singer. How much faith did Fox have in the first film, well if you remember... not any! Rothman expected the film to fail.

Fox wanted X-Men to center around Wolverine because they didnt have any faith in the other characters. Wolverine was the draw.

XMen2 closed Woverines arc. No he didnt get all the answers he wanted, but theres a conclusion when he makes his choice, plainly stated in the scene when he walks away from Stryker.

Singer had to finish what was started - Wolverines character arc, and he knew full well that Dark Phoenix would have meant a juicy role for Cyclops and Marsden.

Its not Singers fault that Fox and the Suits interferred in Xmen3. Remember the turmoil about it at the time. Singer should have been signed and given the go ahead for the third film after X2 was so well received...and wasnt. Fox gave a list of demands, blah blah and Singer took a hike.

Killing Cyclops was a guideline given to the writers for third films script. Singers Xmen3(and he was considering filming 3 & 4 together) would have been drastically different.

IMHO theyre going so far back in the continuity to allow for 3 films before meeting up with the established canon, and we'll see Cyclops and Jean, front and center and focused on in films 2&3. There really arent too many other interesting X-Men out there they can fit in(Thunderbird, Sunfire,Polaris?). Cyclops & Jean should be major characters of sequels.

The thing is , Cyclops was never one of my fav characters in the book, but is pretty easily my fav movie version character.

Piz wrote:
"I have to say... I don't think I'm all that excited for this film anymore."

Im amazed to hear myself say this, but I think the opposite, Im actually enthusiastic they have enough faith in the characters to support the film instead of relying on the likes of Famke or Halle, who IMHO were bad casting choices. No Wolverine hogging the film, Havok, Beast, young Mystique, I think Bacon is going to rock as Sebastion Shaw..... Im ok with everything theyve announced so far.

Also given the creative team, who have seen over 10 years and multiple films what does and doesnt work..... Im looking foward to seeing where this is going.

"Once again, science saves the day. The end."
-Hubert J. Farnsworth

Last edited by conan69; 08-21-2010 at 10:13 PM.
conan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #324
TheWatcher
Dapper

I'm waiting for more info before I start complaining.

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #325
flavio_lebeau
Side-Kick

What intrigues me most is how Emma Frost will dress. Kennedy chic, crazy disco club style with puffy hair, Monroe wannabe? Oh the possibilities.

White boots were all the rage back then. But I don't think walking around in white corsets and bikinis was.

This 60s thing is starting to look awesome.

flavio_lebeau is offline   Reply With Quote