The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #751
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - Part 20

Listen you guys love the OT cast (I like most of the OT cast) of course there is going to be a strong reaction when the reality of the situation is laid bare. Honestly as long as the films are as good as First Class and Wolverine I won't complain about this or that...too much.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #752
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Listen you guys love the OT cast (I like most of the OT cast) of course there is going to be a strong reaction when the reality of the situation is laid bare. Honestly as long as the films are as good as First Class and Wolverine I won't complain about this or that...too much.
Same.

Honestly, I'm just glad this isn't turning into a massive vanity project, which it very well could have. Cutting such a popular actor/character shows the opposite. They're determined to make a good film first and foremost, rather than shovel characters in for the sake of it.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #753
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

I personally don't think its a soft reboot, I don't think it has to be in order to put the FC guys first for one thing but I also think fox would be restricting themselves if they did do that

J.J. Abrams “We are standing on the shoulders of Episodes I through VI.”

(Always Manage Expectations.)

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 12-21-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #754
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
I think for some of us, this is a bittersweet time because we've been hoping for over a decade now that some of our favorite characters would be fully realized and developed to the fuller extents like Xavier, Magneto and Wolverine BEFORE having to say goodbye fully to this cast. The clock is ticking and actors' careers are moving on, so Days Of Future Past seemed to be a glimmer of hope that that cast would be given one final opportunity to shine together. But the Rogue news shows that it's really all about the FC cast after all, and the OT cast are basically plot devices--and dispensable ones at that. It's about the storyline which is great...but the storyline is still focused on Wolverine and now the FC cast. So it's basically "same s***, different day" at FOX all over again.

That's why the reality hurts. For example, fans of Rogue, must be super disappointed to fear that they may never see the comic version we love on the silver screen. For me, Halle Berry will likely be no longer needed as Storm after DoFP (which is not entirely a bad thing, but what happens to the character after that?), and will phase out of this franchise never truly embodying Storm accurately. If Logan is left in the past at the end of DoFP, it's highly plausible that James Mardsen won't be back as Cyclops, etc., etc.

Right now, there are just a lot of questions. And we have to wait 5 months to learn the answers. For many fans that will be an agonizing wait.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #755
Legion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Singer said only 25-30% of the movie featured the future scenes. Some seemed to ignore that Days was always primarily a First Class (with Wolverine) movie. I think the confirmation of just how small the other OT actors roles are has spooked the posters who weren't paying attention or who were in denial. Yes they are using the two casts "coming together" to market the film but it's been clear for a while most of the film will take place in the past.

The studio are smartly trying to build up the First Class cast so that they can continue the series into the future. I could be dead wrong but I do not see them decreasing the First Class cast screen time in Apocalypse. You better believe that the studio is thinking about replacing a rapidly aging original cast. And I'm not against older actors I'm just saying what the studio is probably thinking.
That is what they seem to be doing but I wouldn't exactly says it's smart since this isn't the START of the First Class franchise. X:A would be the third film featuring the First Class cast. The stars may not want to do anymore films after X:A or they may be asking for too much money to continue.

If they shift the focus to the young OT characters then we may see the same issue as First Class where the audience isn't on board to see new actors in familiar roles. Also there is more star power in the FC villains. How many more times can we see more attacks or team ups from Magneto and Mystique?

Old 12-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #756
marvelrobbins
Banned User

It's been said In the past at most the OT cast save Hugh jackman would be In around 30% of film.

The time travel of DOFP could basiclly delete the trilogy and wolverine films from contunity.That's not confirmed but it remains a possibilty.

Finally rumors are saying Apocalypse will likely focus on FC cast.

Jackman Is wild card for Apocalypse because once wolverine's mind is returned to body the wolverine of '73 continues living.No rumor has come out suggesting Apocalypse will focus on OT cast.At most apart from jackman one source suggested OT cast members could make brief appearance at begining of Apocalypse.

The remaining FC actors only have 1 more film left In their contract so we will be In same place with actors that we were back In 2006.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #757
ThePhantasm
2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

Jackman already IS the FC version of Wolverine... he literally appeared in FC.

Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | Ɉ |
Old 12-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #758
MagnarTheGreat
Web Ninja

McAvoy is the only past protagonist that made the cast billing. No Byrne. No Hoult. No Till. Not counting Wolverine here.

It's lame. And being stuck in the past is lame. I think that time period compromises the potential of what could have been.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #759
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion View Post
That is what they seem to be doing but I wouldn't exactly says it's smart since this isn't the START of the First Class franchise. X:A would be the third film featuring the First Class cast. The stars may not want to do anymore films after X:A or they may be asking for too much money to continue.

If they shift the focus to the young OT characters then we may see the same issue as First Class where the audience isn't on board to see new actors in familiar roles. Also there is more star power in the FC villains. How many more times can we see more attacks or team ups from Magneto and Mystique?
Exactly, Shifting to the FC cast is only good for one more movie then Lawrence is gone and I doubt she'd come back, nor do I think Fassbender would return either, once they're gone the FC lose clout and the cast they sidelined becomes the only cast that can save them and by then it will be too little too late.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
Old 12-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #760
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
I think for some of us, this is a bittersweet time because we've been hoping for over a decade now that some of our favorite characters would be fully realized and developed to the fuller extents like Xavier, Magneto and Wolverine BEFORE having to say goodbye fully to this cast. The clock is ticking and actors' careers are moving on, so Days Of Future Past seemed to be a glimmer of hope that that cast would be given one final opportunity to shine together. But the Rogue news shows that it's really all about the FC cast after all, and the OT cast are basically plot devices--and dispensable ones at that. It's about the storyline which is great...but the storyline is still focused on Wolverine and now the FC cast. So it's basically "same s***, different day" at FOX all over again.

That's why the reality hurts. For example, fans of Rogue, must be super disappointed to fear that they may never see the comic version we love on the silver screen. For me, Halle Berry will likely be no longer needed as Storm after DoFP (which is not entirely a bad thing, but what happens to the character after that?), and will phase out of this franchise never truly embodying Storm accurately. If Logan is left in the past at the end of DoFP, it's highly plausible that James Mardsen won't be back as Cyclops, etc., etc.

Right now, there are just a lot of questions. And we have to wait 5 months to learn the answers. For many fans that will be an agonizing wait.
Oh I totally get it, it is a bittersweet situation. Hopefully there is a send off to the originals. I don't rule out them being in Apocalypse at all but I still think the FC cast will be out front. There does need to be some closure.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #761
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Jackman already IS the FC version of Wolverine... he literally appeared in FC.
I'm going to be very honest with you: the moment I saw that cameo in theaters I literally rolled my eyes and said "What the f***" out loud. Because it was then that it hit me: I thought, "Omigod....FOX is going to phase the previous cast out and reboot with this one...and bring Hugh Jackman's ass back in time with them."

And that's incredibly sad because it shows a gross dependence on the actor and less faith in the character of Wolverine himself. It's almost as if they're saying that they can't bear to even recast Logan with another actor...but everyone else is fair game and dispensable.

But what happens when Hugh Jackman gets too old or suddenly decides he's done playing Wolverine? Because they've put ALL their eggs in his basket (and he has a great basket, ahem ), the entire franchise may come to screeching halt.

Hugh Jackman's Wolverine is FOX's version of WB's Superman/Batman: he's their crutch and they refuse to walk anywhere without him.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #762
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
Singer said only 25-30% of the movie featured the future scenes. Some seemed to ignore that Days was always primarily a First Class (with Wolverine) movie. I think the confirmation of just how small the other OT actors roles are has spooked the posters who weren't paying attention or who were in denial. Yes they are using the two casts "coming together" to market the film but it's been clear for a while most of the film will take place in the past.

The studio are smartly trying to build up the First Class cast so that they can continue the series into the future. I could be dead wrong but I do not see them decreasing the First Class cast screen time in Apocalypse. You better believe that the studio is thinking about replacing a rapidly aging original cast. And I'm not against older actors I'm just saying what the studio is probably thinking.
I SEE SPIDEY is the good news bear today.

And completely agree on the second part as well.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #763
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Nah the OT would return if fox wanted them too! it's not likely the OT would be angry and be like nah your loss we ain't coming back

But either way there is nothing to say fassbender wouldn't come back for a 4th, there is nothing at all, but these films are mostly about the younger versions of these characters because it's still their story, I personally do not think its a soft reboot though

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 12-21-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #764
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Oh I totally get it, it is a bittersweet situation. Hopefully there is a send off to the originals. I don't rule out them being in Apocalypse at all but I still think the FC cast will be out front. There does need to be some closure.
I hate to say it but...I think we will get closure in DoFP: everyone will die. That will be the "closure". But before that happens, they will be sure to get Wolverine back in the past so he can survive. The mind-travel of Charles Xavier in X3 shows that the studio is more than okay with this concept.

If that happens, I'm not sure how I'd feel about it.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #765
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
Exactly, Shifting to the FC cast is only good for one more movie then Lawrence is gone and I doubt she'd come back, nor do I think Fassbender would return either, once they're gone the FC lose clout and the cast they sidelined becomes the only cast that can save them and by then it will be too little too late.
I'm not going to lie I doubt that Lawrence is going to be playing in these films past her contract. I know the money is awesome and having another franchise is great but she doesn't seem like the type to lock herself into another franchise so soon. Maybe I'm wrong and she's going to want to stay around her boyfriend, we will see.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #766
DarthSkywalker

Quote:

Your best chance as seeing these characters fully realized is the First Class/DoFP reboot. It won't be the same actors, but if they keep building why is it so hard to believe that in 4-5 years, a "4th First Class" film will feature a young Scott and Jean?

Old 12-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #767
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
I'm not too sure about that. Many have said that Lawrence and Fassbender will not return eventually but what proof do we have of that? Have they ever said they don't like being a part of the franchise? Other actors like Hugh Jackman and Halle Berry have actually SAID they weren't coming back or weren't sure and they always returned.

Do we have verbiage stating that any of the FC cast would be unsure of coming back years down the line?

Old 12-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #768
JP
Smelly

I think it's too early to get sad/upset/disappointing about the future of this franchise when we honestly know absolute zilch about it. As much as we'd like to think we do.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #769
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
I hate to say it but...I think we will get closure in DoFP: everyone will die. That will be the "closure". But before that happens, they will be sure to get Wolverine back in the past so he can survive. The mind-travel of Charles Xavier in X3 shows that the studio is more than okay with this concept.

There is no closure. The First Class group is moving in that direction. They will eventually meet that generation again.

It is like The Dark Tower. It always starts and ends with the Man in Black fleeing across the desert, and the gunslinger following.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #770
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
I'm not going to lie I doubt that Lawrence is going to be playing in these films past her contract. I know the money is awesome and having another franchise is great but she doesn't seem like the type to lock herself into another franchise so soon. Maybe I'm wrong and she's going to want to stay around her boyfriend, we will see.
Her 'current' boyfriend mind you, we'll see if that holds up come 2016.

But yeah she's going to have a ton of roles to choose from once she's done she's done and she won't think twice about it.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
Old 12-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #771
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Your best chance as seeing these characters fully realized is the First Class/DoFP reboot. It won't be the same actors, but if they keep building why is it so hard to believe that in 4-5 years, a "4th First Class" film will feature a young Scott and Jean?
After the lackluster sales of the First Class film, I actually wouldn't be surprised if those characters are added to the FC cast far sooner than later. Likely as early as 2016.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #772
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:

That wouldn't work its abit of a paradox, if his future self doesn't exist in the future how can he future mind exist in the past, yeah sure he is the observer but there has to be limits there surely

Old 12-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #773
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
After the lackluster sales of the First Class film, I actually wouldn't be surprised if those characters are added to the FC cast far sooner than later. Likely as early as 2016.
I wouldn't be opposed to that. Maybe they can actually be written correctly this time.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #774
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

I think the thing with the OT cast is that Fox don't seem to have much confidence in anyone else other than Wolverine being the centre of the story. As awesome and iconic Stewart and McKellen are, a couple of 70-year-olds are never going to carry a major franchise. Nor will an actress pushing 50s. Nor is there any indication - particularly with this latest news - that Fox think the young generation of OT cast are up to the task of either being the stars or co-leading with Wolverine. So their choices are to either to introduce some completely new characters, or revamp the existing, known characters with younger actors.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #775
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
That wouldn't work its abit of a paradox, if his future self doesn't exist in the future how can he future mind exist in the past, yeah sure he is the observer but there has to be limits there surely
Because in the end, just like Terminator, these are all alternate timelines. Each grain of sand is a different world, one where you made another decision, or didn't even exist at all.