The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
Em Dee
Chasing Spiders
 
Em Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,049
Default Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

Sure,there are some flaws.. Every movie has them, but I really don't think these flaws are such a big deal IMO. What do you guys think?

__________________
2014 FILMS
22 JUMP ST 9.2/10
THE LEGO MOVIE 8.4/10
THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 8.2/10
TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 7.7/10
ROBOCOP 6.3/10
RIDE ALONG 6/10
Em Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
OriginalMiles
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cloud 9
Posts: 8,637
Default Re: Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

No, it doesn't deserve all the hate. Sure, people find flaws and that's fine, their opinion. But to say it's "the worst movie" is ridiculous.

OriginalMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #3
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 49,229
Default Re: Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

Yes, it completely and truly does.

Btw I noticed the audience score on RT has dropped from the 70's into the 60's percentage now. I guess people are seeing copies of the DVD release early, and scores are dropping even more.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 08-11-2014 at 11:03 AM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
Em Dee
Chasing Spiders
 
Em Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,049
Default Re: Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMiles View Post
No, it doesn't deserve all the hate. Sure, people find flaws and that's fine, their opinion. But to say it's "the worst movie" is ridiculous.
Yep I agree... For me, you can hate something and I'll be alright with it as long as it's justified.. I think some people here pretend to hate this movie because it's a cool thing to do.

__________________
2014 FILMS
22 JUMP ST 9.2/10
THE LEGO MOVIE 8.4/10
THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 8.2/10
TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 7.7/10
ROBOCOP 6.3/10
RIDE ALONG 6/10
Em Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #5
OriginalMiles
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cloud 9
Posts: 8,637
Default Re: Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

The only argument against this movie I can agree with is the writing... that's about it.

OriginalMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
Em Dee
Chasing Spiders
 
Em Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,049
Default Re: Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMiles View Post
The only argument against this movie I can agree with is the writing... that's about it.
Yeah, but I really don't think it's as bad as every one seems to think.

__________________
2014 FILMS
22 JUMP ST 9.2/10
THE LEGO MOVIE 8.4/10
THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 8.2/10
TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 7.7/10
ROBOCOP 6.3/10
RIDE ALONG 6/10
Em Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue
 
UltimateWebhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 11,098
Default Re: Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMiles View Post
The only argument against this movie I can agree with is the writing... that's about it.
That's a pretty big part. The writing is the foundation.

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
Sexy Magician
Most Excellent
 
Sexy Magician's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 477
Default Re: Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

I hate it, and I'm not trying to be cool.

__________________
BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER
Sexy Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #9
StarkTheProdigy
Side-Kick
 
StarkTheProdigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,235
Default Re: Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

The movie had potential to be something great, and instead it did the exact opposite.

__________________
I Believe in the MCU

"You experience things, and then they're over."
StarkTheProdigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #10
Em Dee
Chasing Spiders
 
Em Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,049
Default Re: Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkTheProdigy View Post
The movie had potential to be something great, and instead it did the exact opposite.
I agree. Despite how much I actually liked it. It definitely wasn't a great film, but it really serious could've been. We could gotten 4 supposedly great CBM's instead of 3.

__________________
2014 FILMS
22 JUMP ST 9.2/10
THE LEGO MOVIE 8.4/10
THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 8.2/10
TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 7.7/10
ROBOCOP 6.3/10
RIDE ALONG 6/10
Em Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #11
TheSpectacular
BOLBISAUR
 
TheSpectacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bolbisaur
Posts: 1,943
Default Re: Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

Not at all. It's not the best CBM, it's not even the best Spidey film, but it's nowhere as bad as it's made out to be.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
It's not a problem for Superman, he can push a turd out faster than a speeding bullet. His bowel movements are more powerful than a locomotive.
TheSpectacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:32 PM   #12
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
 
Erzengel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 70,705
Default Re: Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpectacular View Post
Not at all. It's not the best CBM, it's not even the best Spidey film, but it's nowhere as bad as it's made out to be.
Then I'm confused by the 9.5 rating cause that's pretty close to perfect.

__________________
Erzengel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #13
Doctor Octopus
Banned User
 
Doctor Octopus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,422
Default Re: Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkTheProdigy View Post
The movie had potential to be something great, and instead it did the exact opposite.
Agreed.

I think it deserves all the criticism it gets, apart from saying it's the worst movie ever, but not many say hyperbole like that.

Doctor Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:52 PM   #14
BRAB
Eaten by Lizards
 
BRAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,010
Default Re: Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

I suppose a better question would be

"Why does the film deserve all the hate it gets"

Come on, you guys have a Blu-Ray fully ready to be gifified to your hearts content. If the movie is truely bad, let's analyse it, scene by scene, and see how close we can get it towards B&R on the badness scale.

I've wanted to do this anyway, I think it's a better idea then just saying "Lol its so bad, nah man, it's really good, nah mate, truely bad, nah mate, check ya ratin"

Rightio, lets start with the Richard Parker sequence to open the movie, what's so bad about it? Let's stick to objective flaws (lighting, angles, ect) and then follow it up with why the scene is bad subjectively. (The parents hurt my feelings/Peter was a Jerk)

Righto friends, the floor is yours, lets go, the flaws in the opening scene, hit me with them. We can do this scene by scene, it'll be a bonding experience.

__________________
2/9/15

The biggest day in CBM History. He is Home.


Vale P.J.H 63*
BRAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #15
StarkTheProdigy
Side-Kick
 
StarkTheProdigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,235
Default Re: Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

Plus, it doesn't help that this year had three other phenomenal comic book movies (by both critics, audiences, and fans) with Captain America: The Winter Soldier, X-Men Days of Future Past, and now Guardians of the Galaxy, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 compared to those films just makes it look even weaker.

__________________
I Believe in the MCU

"You experience things, and then they're over."
StarkTheProdigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #16
BRAB
Eaten by Lizards
 
BRAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,010
Default Re: Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkTheProdigy View Post
Plus, it doesn't help that this year had three other phenomenal comic book movies (by both critics, audiences, and fans) with Captain America: The Winter Soldier, X-Men Days of Future Past, and now Guardians of the Galaxy, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 compared to those films just makes it look even weaker.
What things did those films specifically have that TASM2 didn't?

There's got to be a fundamental difference between TASM2 and the rest, as you said, the other 3 were hits, so where did TASM2 go wrong?

__________________
2/9/15

The biggest day in CBM History. He is Home.


Vale P.J.H 63*
BRAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #17
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick
 
Kahran Ramsus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 11,066
Default Re: Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

It absolutely does. This is one awful movie.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #18
StarkTheProdigy
Side-Kick
 
StarkTheProdigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,235
Default Re: Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAB View Post
What things did those films specifically have that TASM2 didn't?

There's got to be a fundamental difference between TASM2 and the rest, as you said, the other 3 were hits, so where did TASM2 go wrong?
Better liked by the critics
Better liked by the fans
Better and easier story line to follow
Greater and believable character development
All special in their own way
Better quality
DOFP, The Winter Soldier, and GOTG I have seen make it to a lot of users top 10 comic book lists, so obviously, these three are recent successful quality comic book movies to date.

The list could go on...

Standing this films to TASM 2 just makes someone realize that it really isn't anyway close to the level that the other three are on.

__________________
I Believe in the MCU

"You experience things, and then they're over."
StarkTheProdigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #19
BRAB
Eaten by Lizards
 
BRAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,010
Default Re: Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkTheProdigy View Post
Better liked by the critics
Better liked by the fans
Better and easier story line to follow
Greater and believable character development
All special in their own way
Better quality (Iffy Statement)
DOFP, The Winter Soldier, and GOTG I have seen make it to a lot of users top 10 comic book lists, so obviously, these three are recent successful quality comic book movies to date.

The list could go on...

Standing this films to TASM 2 just makes someone realize that it really isn't anyway close to the level that the other three are on.
Ok, I've crossed the ones out that have to do with how the fans percieved it. Why so? Because I asked what was it about TASM2 that made it worse recieved, so pointing out it's reception in regards to it's reception is essentially pointless. Not that you're wrong, because those points are true, it's just we're looking at the aspects of the film here that made it less than impressive. Hope you understand that.

The reason "All special in their own way" was crossed out was that it's too generic a statment. Some can say that the development and conclusion of a really convincing relationship played by two lead actresses that are together in real life is special. So saying that they're special in their own way is essentially equivalent to saying their good, or, that they are unique, which most films intrinsically are in one way or another. Again, you could point towards the films reception to deny this, but that's circular, and doesn't achieve the point of the question.

Better Quality. Didn't cross this one out, are we saying CGI/sound/picture quality? Or just the general writing/screenplay/acting? Because if it's the former, that's untrue, if it's the latter, the statement's a bit too general.

So we're left with essentially two watertight ones, which is in regards to the character development. Now we can argue whether that's there, but I think it's kind of pointless at this stage. If we could point out why Parker doesn't grow as much as the other leads in the films, that'd be pretty good, but it would take up a lot of your time, it's your call.

The storyline one is pretty much a given, I don't think anyone here's willing to argue that the story wasn't scattershot a tad. So I think it's all good to leave that there, right? I mean, I guess it could have method in it's madness, again, that's probably a discussion for later...

Can you elaborate a bit more, as we've only got one really solid point, one decent point, one iffy point, and a few circular ones!

__________________
2/9/15

The biggest day in CBM History. He is Home.


Vale P.J.H 63*
BRAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #20
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Global Moderator
 
marcvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The MIA
Posts: 12,958
Default Re: Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

Cone on guys, Brab is calling you critics out. Nobody's biting Brab.


FYI I've yet to see it.

__________________
AQUAMAN
**December 21, 2018**

Twitter- @mrpink13
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #21
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 53,331
Default Re: Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

I think on certain aspects the film deserves criticism and on others it doesn't. I think the criticisms over how Peter Parker is a terrible person, or how Mark Webb ruined the movie, etc. are rather unwarranted. Spidey acts like Spidey. And the film deserves praise for a pretty decent cast and excellent special effects.

But there are a lot of aspects of the film that deserve the vile hatred that it gets. There are a lot of REALLY BAD plot points. Like really, really bad! The script is rather weak. The film is needlessly creating a Spidey-universe to counter Marvel's Cinematic Universe, Warner Bros.' DC Cinematic Universe, and 20th Century Fox's X-Men Universe when Spidey alone just really can't sustain one. The villains are awful. And so on.

The way I describe the film is that it is aggravatingly inconsistent. The parts that the film does well, it absolutely nails it perfectly. Pardon the pun, but the good parts are not great, but "AMAZING!" But when the film fails at points, it becomes as unbearable as really bad comic book films like Batman & Robin. And to make it even worse, when you compare it to the other comic book films of 2014 (Captain America: The Winter Soldier, X-Men: Days of Future Past, and Guardians of the Galaxy) which were top notch quality (all three of them are easily in my top 5 of comic book adaptations), it just makes the Amazing Spider-Man 2 look even worse.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #22
StarkTheProdigy
Side-Kick
 
StarkTheProdigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,235
Default Re: Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAB View Post
Ok, I've crossed the ones out that have to do with how the fans percieved it. Why so? Because I asked what was it about TASM2 that made it worse recieved, so pointing out it's reception in regards to it's reception is essentially pointless. Not that you're wrong, because those points are true, it's just we're looking at the aspects of the film here that made it less than impressive. Hope you understand that.

The reason "All special in their own way" was crossed out was that it's too generic a statment. Some can say that the development and conclusion of a really convincing relationship played by two lead actresses that are together in real life is special. So saying that they're special in their own way is essentially equivalent to saying their good, or, that they are unique, which most films intrinsically are in one way or another. Again, you could point towards the films reception to deny this, but that's circular, and doesn't achieve the point of the question.

Better Quality. Didn't cross this one out, are we saying CGI/sound/picture quality? Or just the general writing/screenplay/acting? Because if it's the former, that's untrue, if it's the latter, the statement's a bit too general.

So we're left with essentially two watertight ones, which is in regards to the character development. Now we can argue whether that's there, but I think it's kind of pointless at this stage. If we could point out why Parker doesn't grow as much as the other leads in the films, that'd be pretty good, but it would take up a lot of your time, it's your call.

The storyline one is pretty much a given, I don't think anyone here's willing to argue that the story wasn't scattershot a tad. So I think it's all good to leave that there, right? I mean, I guess it could have method in it's madness, again, that's probably a discussion for later...

Can you elaborate a bit more, as we've only got one really solid point, one decent point, one iffy point, and a few circular ones!
Actually, the ones you crossed off are how fans of TASM 2 won't perceive it. What I stated isn't biased, as the status quo of the three films and facts to back it were from sources such as reviews, Rotten tomatoes, being on these forums. So this isn't how "fans perceived it", in fact, it is how a majority perceived it.

Oh, and when I say quality, visuals aren't what I was talking about.

I really honestly see no reason to elaborate, it's pretty obvious.

I respect your views, but what you stated isn't the almighty "answer" it's just your opinion. What I stated is the majority opinion .

__________________
I Believe in the MCU

"You experience things, and then they're over."
StarkTheProdigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #23
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 49,229
Default Re: Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkTheProdigy View Post
Better liked by the critics
Better liked by the fans
Better and easier story line to follow
Greater and believable character development
All special in their own way
Better quality
DOFP, The Winter Soldier, and GOTG I have seen make it to a lot of users top 10 comic book lists, so obviously, these three are recent successful quality comic book movies to date.

The list could go on...

Standing this films to TASM 2 just makes someone realize that it really isn't anyway close to the level that the other three are on.


To add to this list;

- Better characters
- Better action
- Better acting

Though I suppose they would go under the heading of better quality, but it's good to elaborate on where those other movies have TASM 2, even though it's really obvious, IMO.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #24
BRAB
Eaten by Lizards
 
BRAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,010
Default Re: Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkTheProdigy View Post
Actually, the ones you crossed off are how fans of TASM 2 won't perceive it. What I stated isn't biased, as the status quo of the three films and facts to back it were from sources such as reviews, Rotten tomatoes, being on these forums. So this isn't how "fans perceived it", in fact, it is how a majority perceived it.

Oh, and when I say quality, visuals aren't what I was talking about.

I really honestly see no reason to elaborate, it's pretty obvious.

I respect your views, but what you stated isn't the almighty "answer" it's just your opinion. What I stated is the majority opinion .
Woops, misworded it. You know how 3 of your points were in regards to how critics/fans/people recieved the film? The question of the thread is whether the reception is deserved. The question I asked is as to whether the reception is deserved, and what differentiates that reception from the reception of the other movies. To point towards the reception to explain the reception is pointless and circular. Totally understand how you took it though, as I worded it quite poorly. Do you get what I mean now though?

I assume when you say quality, you mean what Joker said?

Um, if you're not willing to elaborate, and just say "its obvious', then its really hard to take your opinion seriously. A fair amount of people are doing this on this forum now, and its dragging the quality of discussion down. Why not elaborate? Why is that hard if it's so obvious?

Um, you cannot state your opinion is the majority opinion when half of your opinion literally does not apply to the question. But I would agree that your points regarding the film are in the majority, but does that make it true? Why should we accept the majority view without questioning it? That seems a bit insular? Do you get what I mean? If it's so obvious, prove it, or justify it, don't state it.

I'm of the opinion that the majority opinion has become increasingly less detailed over time as the anti TASM2 sentiment has grown. This group mentality has lead to less justification of the viewpoint, that's what I'm trying to do in this thread, make you justify your opinion, and you're relectance to do so is kind of proving my point.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

By the way people, I'm awaiting your analysis of the opening Richard Parker scene. Particularly looking forward to Joker's.

__________________
2/9/15

The biggest day in CBM History. He is Home.


Vale P.J.H 63*
BRAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:49 PM   #25
TheSpectacular
BOLBISAUR
 
TheSpectacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bolbisaur
Posts: 1,943
Default Re: Does this movie really deserve the hate it gets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
Then I'm confused by the 9.5 rating cause that's pretty close to perfect.
I like Spider-Man 2 and Amazing Spider-Man a bit more, along with other cbms.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
It's not a problem for Superman, he can push a turd out faster than a speeding bullet. His bowel movements are more powerful than a locomotive.
TheSpectacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of Mandatory Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.