The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 10-08-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
Bartman
WCW Champion

Default Is Politics cult like?

Whether you lean left or right, there is a sector of people completely blinded to reality. Avid Trump supporters can't see the cracks in his arguments. Avid Trump detractors are hysterical messes who would blame the weather on him. We have smelly little Antifa loons running around acting like actual Nazi's, the irony being completely lost on them.

What do you think? Politics = Cult?

Bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:25 AM   #2
DJ Kornphlake
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is Politics cult like?

There's definitely some that act cultish, but there are more that treat politics like a sporting event, which I think is worse in some ways. It downplays the seriousness of politics, can impact your life for the worse even if your side "won", and doesn't support compromise.

DJ Kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #3
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
Whether you lean left or right, there is a sector of people completely blinded to reality. Avid Trump supporters can't see the cracks in his arguments. Avid Trump detractors are hysterical messes who would blame the weather on him. We have smelly little Antifa loons running around acting like actual Nazi's, the irony being completely lost on them.

The smelly little Antifa loons running around aren't occupying the White House making decisions supportive of Neo-Nazis and White Supremacy. I fail to see how a poorly funded group of anti-fascists (The Horror!) have the slightest resemblance to actual Nazis.

As to the question at hand - Yes, the information age allows us to wall ourselves off from opinions that conflict with our world view and brain wash us into supporting policies actually harmful to our own self interests and our nation as a whole. We're seeing it happen right now.

Last edited by Zarex; 10-08-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #4
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Is Politics cult like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
The smelly little Antifa loons running around aren't occupying the White House making decisions supportive of Neo-Nazis and White Supremacy. I fail to see how a poorly funded group of anti-fascists (The Horror!) have the slightest resemblance to actual Nazis.
Yes. Although, I guess something like that could also fall under the whole sporting events thing, specifically professional wrestling.

Gunn_______Whedon________Kinberg
Reed________Goyer
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:54 PM   #5
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Cult like? For some political figures around the world, individuals? Yes. But it's tribal more than cult like when it's all said and done in my view.

KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:49 PM   #6
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Its Tribalistic for sure.

Midnyte_Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:30 PM   #7
Shazam
Side-Kick

You get shunned by by your own people if you are black and conservative. That’s what cults do

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:32 AM   #8
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
You get shunned by by your own people if you are black and conservative. That’s what cults do
Uh... Huh...

And what's happening now in conservative/Libertarian/Evangelical circles to those like Jeff Flake and Bob Corker who rightly oppose Trump and "Trumpism"? How about those that speak out against the rising tide of white nationalist politics? Republicans that are "Pro-Choice" sure do get treated well don't they? I mean, the term RINO is of course a Democratic invention... OH WAIT.

Also, you know... Maybe people in the Black Community don't think well of "Black Conservatives" given the track record of conservatives when it comes to African-Americans in this country? I mean, the current sitting president literally came to political prominence using a vile, racist lie. So... If someone black wants to go along with that, well... Yeah, some people are going to be in their rights having a not so great opinion of such people. Conservative politicians have used racial demagoguery in this country for at least as long as I've been on God's green Earth so a minimum of 41 years. That you don't get that says it all. Because.... AS USUAL... people like you don't WANT to get it.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.

http://www.tobecontinuedafanboypodcast.com/To Be Continued In In The News For February.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:14 AM   #9
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

Yes, there are definitely some cult like tendencies but I think a destinction needs to be made between the pragmatic cult that has empathy for the disadvantaged and the cult who fights against their own interest and has the empathy of a sociopath.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:19 AM   #10
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Exactly, antifa is a fringe group. White nationalist are deciding domestic and global policy.

This isn't 5 years ago where you could sneakily make that false equivalency and get away with it.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:49 AM   #11
MessiahDecoy123
Noble Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
TBH anyone who isn't wealthy and votes Republican is voting against their own interest.

Our infrastructure, space programs, wages, healthcare, retirement, environmental protection, education, etc are going to be gutted so people like Paris Hilton and Ivanka Trump can get a tax cut. These people have 90 percent of the wealth while most Americans live check to check.

Then you have the blatant racism and xenophobia. When neonazis and the klan have unprecedented support for your top politician, it's time to re-evaluate your values and ideals.

Maybe, empathy and pragmatism ("the establishment") isn't as bad as you were told.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #12
LTuser
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman View Post

It does seem that, these days, which ever side of the spectrum you are on, you completely ignore/badmouth the opposite side...
But i don't think that qualifies as a cult.

LTuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #13
Laderlappen
Fat, drunk, and stupid

It's absolutely tribalistic. There are a lot of really awful people on both the left and right and most people know it. Politics sometimes becomes a game of moral superiority by generalizing the whole other side because of the most awful people and then being silent about their own. But I think the extremes are a small minority.

Laderlappen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #14
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

I would say more tribal.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #15
Aximili86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
TBH anyone who isn't wealthy and votes Republican is voting against their own interest.

This...is pretty clearly opinion. And half the country doesn't see it that way. Pretty damn dismissive & patronizing of you, no?

Aximili86 is offline   Reply With Quote