The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 01-23-2018, 04:39 PM   #26
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Default Re: You Have My Permission To Lounge - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
Kylo Ren over Anton Chigurh? A lot of stable geniuses voting in there.
It happens when the more popular movies take dominance influencing voting, compare the number of people who saw and admired No Country for Old Men to the number of people who saw and admired The Force Awakens, and then consider that against a possible figure of people who care for the older movie with an interesting and disturbing villain voted in this against the number of people who voted for the man child unaware of the existence of the more interesting villain.
It's an unbalanced scale, though there is something to be said about how impressive it is for Anton Chigurh to enter the list as high as he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
I wouldn't have Loki that high and Kylo Ren shouldn't make anywhere near the top 20.
I agree with both, and I think Simon Gruber is more interesting than his brother Hans, regardless of how idiotic it feels when you think that he brought attention to himself and his operations by messing around with McClain.

YOUTUBE
Michael Keaton's Batman is the ASMR master of superheroes.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #27
shauner111
Side-Kick

Yeah Batlobster! Guillermo will probably take it, and I think that's ridiculous. However, I would love to see a round table with Chris, Guillermo, Greta, Jordan and PTA. Great list of directors. I'm a little salty about Villeneuve (and Bladerunner) getting snubbed but I'm still content with that list.

Two biggest actor snubs this year IMO were Gyllenhaal (Stronger) and believe it or not Robert Pattinson (Good Time).

But overall, I'm glad Dunkirk is getting some spotlight. I watched it again last week and I loved it more this time. I have mixed feelings about Saving Private Ryan, and I know this may be controversial, but I rank Dunkirk higher as a war film. It is at the very least the greatest war film of this century.

"Lets make one thing very clear here - Nolan's films are as faithful an adaptation as there is. It pays homage to its source material, remains true to its characters and above all else places the story first and foremost." - jmc
shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:45 PM   #28
Tacit Ronin
Banned User

You are right. It's a list made up by brain dead fanboys. The fact that Chigurh made it in is a minor miracle.

Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:29 PM   #29
StarLord

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:50 AM   #30
Awest66
Side-Kick

This has most likely been brought up before in one thread or another but it really feels like most fan's issues with TDKR come down to it being a conclusion rather than another installment in a series.

Awest66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:09 AM   #31
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awest66 View Post
This has most likely been brought up before in one thread or another but it really feels like most fan's issues with TDKR come down to it being a conclusion rather than another installment in a series.
No. It being bloated and sometimes dumb.

Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
--Clay tablet in an abandoned Trickster temple
OutOfBoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:14 AM   #32
shauner111
Side-Kick

And sometimes dumb? Like every batman movie?

"Lets make one thing very clear here - Nolan's films are as faithful an adaptation as there is. It pays homage to its source material, remains true to its characters and above all else places the story first and foremost." - jmc
Old 01-24-2018, 11:39 AM   #33
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

Eh, I think TDKR is "dumb" in ways that are below Nolan. I really do like the movie but, out of all the Nolan movies I've seen, Rises is probably the weakest.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:39 AM   #34
Brother Jack
Believer

"Bloated" is not how I would describe it. If anything it's not long enough.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:52 AM   #35
Chip Chipperson
I’m in charge here

I've come around to admit that Rises isn't as bad as I conjured up in my head, I just fundamentally disagree with the character going away for 8 years the way he did, come back for a few days in total and then leave Gotham for good.

Now I'll say this, for the grounded real world portrayal they were going for, it was probably the best way they could have wrapped it up, I'll admit. The guy can't keep doing it forever, and especially into his late 30s-40s as we see in the present DC Universe films where suspension of disbelief is everything.

Robin Blake is still bad though. I'll never let up on that. Lol.

Chip Chipperson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:46 PM   #36
Awest66
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
No. It being bloated and sometimes dumb.
I doubt they'd make as big a deal out of that as long as it ended with Bruce in costume posing dramatically on a roof with the bat signal in the background (some might but nowhere near as many)

Awest66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:00 PM   #37
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
Eh, I think TDKR is "dumb" in ways that are below Nolan. I really do like the movie but, out of all the Nolan movies I've seen, Rises is probably the weakest.
That would be Following and Insomnia. Although they're still solid IMO.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:12 PM   #38
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I find the whole experience with Rises "trained" me to view films as self-contained. Had TDK not been a full story, had it been a "more to come" film like Iron Man 2, it would have been harder for Rises to not "bleed into it" and ruin it for a lot of the Rises critics. The fact so many of us can disagree on the conclusion to Nolan's story, without it affecting the rest of Nolan's story, is a testament to why self-contained stories still matter when doing big-budget franchises.

Can the same be said of Force Awakens? I don't think it's as easy for a fan to go back to it and watch it as if TLJ doesn't exist. That's because TFA is such a "more to come" film. Me personally, I find I got better over the years at putting myself in the year a film I watch came out in (again, partly due to my experience with Rises), but I don't think it's easy for everyone to do this. So certain films will stand the test of time less than BB and TDK do for reasons that have nothing to do with dated dialogue and/or technology. That's the dark side of the "more to come" mentality, the one we unfortunately don't talk much about.

Last edited by Shikamaru; 01-24-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Shikamaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:22 PM   #39
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Infinity War is bound to be great when compared to Age of Ultron, even if it ends up as not great.

That tandem aside; TDKR does feel better when viewed without the other two with it.

YOUTUBE

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:39 PM   #40
Brother Jack
Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post

That tandem aside; TDKR does feel better when viewed without the other two with it.
I would disagree with that. I feel Rises is composed very much of the other two films. Not in a way that feels like copy and paste (though some would probably argue that) but as recontextualization and chiastic structure.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:26 PM   #41
Tacit Ronin
Banned User

One of the chief complaints of TDKR for me was how dumb the people were for mindlessly following a character like Bane who was so brazen about his false promises. How can the same city that had the moral fortitude to not blow up the boats be stoopid?

I've changed my mind since 2016.

Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:38 PM   #42
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Jack View Post
I would disagree with that. I feel Rises is composed very much of the other two films. Not in a way that feels like copy and paste (though some would probably argue that) but as recontextualization and chiastic structure.
Before my Batman marathon last year I thought TDKR was as good as its predecessors in the same series, putting them together the opening half hour felt very fast paced, especially compared to the other two films.

YOUTUBE

Old 01-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #43
shauner111
Side-Kick

I don't know how it comes off more fast paced. I don't see that at all.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:02 PM   #44
Penguin
The Buccaneer of Birds

Even if Rises was the weakest of Nolan's films, it's leaps and bounds better than most films today.

- The Penguin

Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:14 PM   #45
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
I don't know how it comes off more fast paced. I don't see that at all.
Some scene shifts feel sudden and unexpected, not in the way I'd define as impressive, makes me feel like they dropped some useful fill in footage in the cutting room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Even if Rises was the weakest of Nolan's films, it's leaps and bounds better than most films today.
In general? That is a very strong opinion.

YOUTUBE

Old 01-24-2018, 07:25 PM   #46
shauner111
Side-Kick

Like what scenes?

Old 01-24-2018, 08:09 PM   #47
I Am The Knight
Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Most CBMs? Yeah. Most films today? Can't see that. I do admire Nolan's ambition with Rises though.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by SkullDevil! / ?
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:33 PM   #48
shauner111
Side-Kick

Most blockbusters. I'd settle with that statement.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:17 AM   #49
BaelaTargaryen
Side-Kick

https://www.kinopoisk.ru/interview/3107270/

Here is Gary Oldman's interview with a Russian movie site Kinopoisk. He said that Nolan offered him the role of Scarecrow, but Oldman's manager suggested the role of Gordon instead. Oldman himself decided that he was sick of playing villains and being typecast as one and he had to convince Nolan to see Gordon in him.

Last edited by BaelaTargaryen; 01-25-2018 at 01:56 PM.
BaelaTargaryen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:20 AM   #50
I Am The Knight
Infinity

He would've been kinda wasted as Scarecrow.

I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote