The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

View Poll Results: How would you rate Ultimate Spider-Man? (pre-Miles Morales)
5/5 22 51.16%
4/5 15 34.88%
3/5 2 4.65%
2/5 3 6.98%
1/5 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #201
KaineMorrison

Default Re: Ultimate Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Wasn't chamelion a mutant in USM? Although I prefer the classic version, I think making him a mutant actually makes more sense in this case. That way you can explain how he can change his height, voice, gender, and really made himself believable as another person.
I loved the 90's Animated Series take: A HoloGraphic Image Inducer!

Old 04-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #202
Spidey_62
#1 Jar Jar Binks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaineMorrison View Post
I loved the 90's Animated Series take: A HoloGraphic Image Inducer!
Haha. I'm not sure if it was called the same thing in the comics, but that idea was borrowed from the Chameleon's then-recent appearances where he became able to morph. But the important thing to remember from all of this is that wonderful purple and orange costume with a puffy turtleneck and shoulderpads!

"So you don't like names, huh? Well that's too bad, frog-face. 'Cause to me you're nothing but a two-bit, no-account, second-rate, sewer-breath-baboon with a brain of a pigeon and the face of an eel!" ~ Spider-Man

Hype Art Thread. Twitter. Instagram.

RadicalRealmComics.com - read the comic books I draw!

Watch Lost in the Shadows - based on The Spirit of the Shadows comic book!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Spidey_62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #203
Lord
All Mighty

The run was great, the begining was amazing, i just think that the comic was limited by Bendis not wanting to leave or even letting Peter grow up. That and by the second middle of his run, many secondary characters like Flash started to be forgoten.

It's a shame Marvel decided to take waaaay too many risks with their Ultimate Marvel Universe in Ultimatum, that event has made the imprint so hard to sell in the past few years.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #204
JJJ
Gwemma-Stoned

I grew up on this series as it was regularly available in newsagents, nostalgia and a strong start to the series makes this a 4/5 for me.

JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #205
OriginalMiles
Banned User

So is Peter really back or were people speculating?

If true, can somebody show me evidence?

The Ultimate comics are what got me into comics after seeing Spidey 2002 so USM takes special place in my metaphorical heart!

OriginalMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:22 PM   #206
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

The more I think about the Ultimate Spidey comic, the more I think it's the definitive take FOR ME.

I think fans are so blindly protective of the 616 Universe they just simply refuse to accept tweaks and changes. Like GG for an easy example. Norman/GG in this run are very much the same Norman/Goblin as the 616 universe with the same type of motivations and personality. But people focus on his look more than anything and cry "THAT'S NOT GREEN GOBLIN!!!" I'm not saying people can't have legit complaints but on a whole I think comic fans are a little too protective and close-minded to change in general and don't look at the bigger picture and just turn their nose up and say "It's NOT the REAL Spider-Man."
I mean, does it REALLY matter all that much that Peter is a webmaster at the Bugle besides photographer? I mean really?

Bendis wrote a largely touching, funny, witty, exciting and character driven update of the mythos that perfectly bring these characters to a more modern world without feeling forced or obligatory. I loved what he did with Aunt May especially.

Oh, and I really dig the Miles Morales era as well. I share another controversial opinion in that I welcome new characters taking up the mantle of the original hero. Change is welcome as long as it's well written. It's awesome to see how different people try their hardest to take up the mantle and live up to the name. I loved it when Dick Grayson put on the cowl. I loved it when Bucky picked up the Shield and I loved it when Miles web-slinged in the updated suit. Hell, even 616 Peter gave him his blessing.

I wouldn't think twice about handing this run over to a beginner as an introduction to the character. It's a perfect starting point.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #207
the.wolf
Foe, Da

I was able to receive an advanced copy of Miles Morales - Ultimate Spider-Man #1.

I wish I could talk about it, 'cause the ending is confusing me and I'm not sure how to feel about it.

Last edited by the.wolf; 05-06-2014 at 05:43 PM.
the.wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #208
Maboroshi
Side-Kick

Could someone explain the numbering for me? I've been out of the loop for a while. USM stopped at 160, then UC:S had 1-28, then there was Cataclysm 1-3, now we're at USM200?

160+28+3=191?

I must be missing something.

Edit: Nevermind, found the answer.

*The issue contains a cover gallery that explains how Marvel arrived at 200:

Ultimate Spider-Man (2000): 133 issues
Ultimate Six (2003): 7 issues
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (2009): 25 issues (1-15; 150-160)
Ultimatum – Spider-Man Requiem (2009): 2 issues
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (2011): 28 issues (not counting 16.1)
Cataclysm – Ultimate Spider-Man (2013): 3 issues
Ultimate Spider-Man #200 (2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.wolf View Post
I was able to receive an advanced copy of Miles Morales - Ultimate Spider-Man #1.

I wish I could talk about it, 'cause the ending is confusing me and I'm not sure how to feel about it.
It isnt hard to find.

Maboroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #209
Chance Jackson
Side-Kick

Loved Peter Parker USM the writing, characters and inter-connectivity of his world, very few arcs left me dissatisfied. Voted 4/5 would have voted 9/10 if it were on that scale.

Loved Ultimate Comics: Spider-man with Miles Morales too and looking forward to Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider Man and expecting good things out of All-New Ultimates

Chance Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #210
DigificWriter
Banned User

Ultimate Spider-Man is and was my first comics exposure to Spider-Man and his world (my first-ever exposure to the character came courtesy of the 1994 Spider-Man Animated Series), and really drew me in with its combination of classic Spidey motifs (that I recognized from the Animated Series) and modern storytelling sensibilities and because it dared to do things differently without worrying about the consequences.

I really want to invest in the graphic novel omnibuses because there's so much of the USM saga that I've missed out on, but I'm not really an avid comic-book purchaser and therefore wouldn't really know where to go to find said omnibuses.

Last edited by DigificWriter; 05-07-2014 at 12:40 PM.
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #211
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

I recommend buying the omnibuses online, either at eBay or amazon. Or you can buy directly from the Marvel website but that would cost a lot more.

Here is the omnibus that contains the first 39 issues of USM:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...seller=&sr=8-1

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #212
OriginalMiles
Banned User

I love Ulitmate.

Introduced me to Spidey. I read it long before I discovered 616, so I do believe it is MY definitive Spider-Man.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #213
DigificWriter
Banned User

I don't know about anybody else, but I loved Ultimate!Gwen. She reminded me very much of the character of Faith LeHane from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and ANGEL.

I also really liked Ultimate!Norman/Green Goblin; the hulking brute thing was cool and made sense even within the more modernized/quasi-realistic framework of the universe they'd established.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #214
OriginalMiles
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
I don't know about anybody else, but I loved Ultimate!Gwen. She reminded me very much of the character of Faith LeHane from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and ANGEL.

I also really liked Ultimate!Norman/Green Goblin; the hulking brute thing was cool and made sense even within the more modernized/quasi-realistic framework of the universe they'd established.
I loved Ultimate Goblin!

I don't see what everybody's problem with him is.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #215
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMiles View Post
I loved Ultimate Goblin!

I don't see what everybody's problem with him is.
The problems are superficial. He didn't "look" like the 616 Goblin, even though his character was largely the same.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:43 PM   #216
DigificWriter
Banned User

I was wondering something: how much 'carry-over'/'spill-over' is there between the comics and the USM cartoon in terms of the mythos, tone, etc. of the UMU?

Old 05-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #217
OriginalMiles
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
The problems are superficial. He didn't "look" like the 616 Goblin, even though his character was largely the same.
That's just ridiculous. The looks shouldn't matter.

I enjoy USM's (The cartoon) Goblin. Nice combo of 616 and Ultimate.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #218
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMiles View Post
That's just ridiculous. The looks shouldn't matter.

I enjoy USM's (The cartoon) Goblin. Nice combo of 616 and Ultimate.
It is ridiculous. I'm not saying people can't have real complaints, but it doesn't get more shallow than "That hulky monster ISN'T Goblin!!!!" simply because the look is different. And I haven't personally seen anybody complain about anything in regards to the character that isn't just "Eeeew he looks different."

I disregard anybody that an't get over that this isn't 616 to begin with. Like because this is a new continuity it somehow invalidates the characters? Please, just assess the story on it's own terms on don't be biased because it's not your precious 616.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #219
OriginalMiles
Banned User

Quote:
It is ridiculous. I'm not saying people can't have real complaints, but it doesn't get more shallow than "That hulky monster ISN'T Goblin!!!!" simply because the look is different. And I haven't personally seen anybody complain about anything in regards to the character that isn't just "Eeeew he looks different."

I disregard anybody that an't get over that this isn't 616 to begin with. Like because this is a new continuity it somehow invalidates the characters? Please, just assess the story on it's own terms on don't be biased because it's not your precious 616.
100% agreed.

USM is still Spidey, and therefore, still a valid source.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #220
Lord
All Mighty

The problem was that he could have been more than a Hulk like creature with fire ball powers, people didn't like him because his design wasn't all that impressive and he was lacking some of the GG's trademark tech.

Quote:
I was wondering something: how much 'carry-over'/'spill-over' is there between the comics and the USM cartoon in terms of the mythos, tone, etc. of the UMU?
Some things are similar, like Mary Jane being the love interest, and there was a story that was adapted, which was the one when Peter and Wolverine switch bodies. However, in the end the tone is nothing alike, the comics were a more serious and realistic take on the classic story, but the show itself is much more childish and barelly has anything to do with the comics.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Old 05-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #221
DigificWriter
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
I recommend buying the omnibuses online, either at eBay or amazon. Or you can buy directly from the Marvel website but that would cost a lot more.

Here is the omnibus that contains the first 39 issues of USM:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...seller=&sr=8-1
There's no way in heck I'm spending $68 and change on a graphic novel. Total BS.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #222
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Quote:

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Quote:
There's no way in heck I'm spending $68 and change on a graphic novel. Total BS.
One seller has it listed for $38.99 brand new. Probably won't get cheaper than that. If you buy the smaller volumes individually then you will end up paying even more money.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #223
Chance Jackson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
However, in the end the tone is nothing alike, the comics were a more serious and realistic take on the classic story, but the show itself is much more childish and barelly has anything to do with the comics.
This is unfortuantely true Goblin is the most Ultimate like thing in the show, that and Nick Fury

Chance Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #224
Lord
All Mighty

Yeah, their choices on the show are a little depressing, but don't expect their new Marvel Animated Universe to disappear anytime soon, spider-man animated series are allways a hit, and Avengers & Hulk are facing a trong popularity right now.

But who knows, maybe one day they will get a good show runner to salvage all that trash.

Spectacular Spider-Man actually had more in common, i loved how it took the best from the 616 universe stories, Ultimate comics and the Sam Raimi films to make one of the best introduction of the character for a younger audience.

~*SHH SIX*~
Old 05-20-2014, 09:09 PM   #225
Spooderman
Side-Kick

I just read issues 14-39 (and 1/2). It was pretty good, although I have some comments and criticisms.

Their take on Gwen Stacy is... interesting. Certainly a far cry from the naive sweetheart from the 616 comics, and just as far as the geek we've seen on Spectacular and the Webb Series. I like the geeky Gwen Stacy the best, and can't say I enjoy the bad girl persona Ultimate Gwen has.

Way too many tragedies were piled up on each other, especially concerning the parents of the main characters. Gwen's mom hates her and her dad blew up, Harry's dad is a monster (who he had to kill sort of), Eddie's parents were killed a long time ago, MJ's father is an abusive drunk; it just seemed to happen all too fast.

Speaking of MJ, Ultimate MJ has surpassed Raimi MJ as being the bytchiest Mary Jane I've come across. Seriously "Gwen is crying in the dumpster what a drama queen" "I'm jealous since Gwen's staying at Peter's place even though her mom left her and her dad died, and she has nowhere else to go!" You'd think she'd be more empathetic.

Also, how did Peter not know about MJ's relationship with her parents? He's been to her house several times, she's his girlfriend, and he seriously never asked?

The black suit arc was such a wasted plot. He only has the suit on for one hour. It's just, he's stronger, faster, and OH MY GOD, HE'S A MONSTER TAKE THE SUIT OFF!!!! There was no progression of him becoming a monster like the 90s cartoon did. Laaaaaaaaaaaame!. However Eddie Brock was a great tragic villain.

Last edited by Spooderman; 05-20-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Spooderman is offline   Reply With Quote