The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

View Poll Results: Predict the box office for Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
$100 million or less 1 1.11%
$100-150 million 2 2.22%
$150-200 million 3 3.33%
$200-250 million 2 2.22%
$250 million-300 million 4 4.44%
$300 million-350 million 14 15.56%
$350 million-400 million 17 18.89%
$400 million-450 million 26 28.89%
$450 million or more 21 23.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #251
Marvin
Side-Kick

Default Re: Transformers: ROTF Box Office Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
i hope that Spielberg will be more interested and will help Bay out. the 3rd movie could really be the best and could have some character development from some robots.
that would be the ultimate gratitude

Old 06-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #252
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggizle85 View Post
To be more accurate
Transformers has sold 15 million copies
The Dark Knight has sold 12.7 million copies
IronMan has sold 8.5 million copies

side note: Twilight has sold 8.7 million copies and is still selling like 100,000 copies a week. WTF? 100,000 after 4 months on the market? God damn. Please tell me these girls aren't going out and buying multiple copies of the "favorite movie" just to drive up the numbers
Hmmm....I've read differently. These are the more updated numbers. Notice TDK sold more in less time than TF. I'll post the link when I find it.

6. Transformers - 16.270.000
5. The Dark Knight - 16,667,000
4. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - 17,383,000
3. Shrek 2 - 20,400,000
2. Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl - 21,500,000
1. Finding Nemo - 23,600,000

rashad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:55 PM   #253
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Mask View Post
Bring in Spielberg would make this franchise even better. I love both movies, and think it's going in a great direction but Spielberg is amazing, so seeing how he'd help with the third movie would be pretty rad.
yea cause the berg has been all about the hits in this latter part of his career

Old 06-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #254
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
Thats amazing.

Quote:
i hope that Spielberg will be more interested and will help Bay out. the 3rd movie could really be the best and could have some character development from some robots.
Yeah, but we will get new bots for TF3 also, so who knows, I hope we get more Sideswipe at least in TF3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chris View Post
It could definitely be the best of the series if all that happens.
Agreed, I think it will be, it would be sods law if Bay managed to be the first one to make and genuinly awesome and well-liked threequel in a comic book movie franchise.

1)Avengers: Infinity War-9.5(2)A Quiet Place-9(3)Black Panther-9(4)Deadpool 2-9(5)The Shape of Water-8.5(6)Ready Player One-8(7)Solo: A Star Wars Story-8(8)Jurassic World- Fallen Kingdom-7.5(9)Tomb Raider-7(10)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #255
The Chris
TDK Trilogy Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Agreed, I think it will be, it would be sods law if Bay managed to be the first one to make and genuinly awesome and well-liked threequel in a comic book movie franchise.
It definitely could. They're gonna go insane with the next one guaranteed. I don't know as much about Transformers lore as most, but this Unicron character sounds interesting. Taking it universal like this latest one took it globally sounds right.

3. STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI
4. WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES
5. LOGAN

Last edited by The Chris; 06-28-2009 at 05:21 PM.
The Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:31 PM   #256
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chris View Post
It definitely could. They're gonna go insane with the next one guaranteed. I don't know as much about Transformers lore as most, but this Unicron character sounds interesting. Taking it universal like this latest one took it globally sounds like
I actually hope they dont go the unicron route, but they probably will. There are so many other bad guys they could use instead though and it would still up the stakes a lot.

1)Avengers: Infinity War-9.5(2)A Quiet Place-9(3)Black Panther-9(4)Deadpool 2-9(5)The Shape of Water-8.5(6)Ready Player One-8(7)Solo: A Star Wars Story-8(8)Jurassic World- Fallen Kingdom-7.5(9)Tomb Raider-7(10)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
Old 06-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #257
Cmill216
Senior Case Officer

Someone did a movie concept custom for Unicron. It's pretty amazing.

Cmill216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #258
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

^I think Unicron will be amazing in a movie, but if they put him in the 3rd movie, how are they going to top it for a 4th, 5th, 6th, etc?

Thats why I think they should use someone like Sixshot, Thunderwing (who would definately up the stakes IMO) or Nova/Nemesis Prime and Jhiaxus (though another fallen Prime story be repetition, however I believe their stories are different enough to make it work).

Old 06-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #259
terry78
I don't die, fool

^Silly man, you know we only strive for trilogies in this day and age.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #260
The Chris
TDK Trilogy Forever!

That's understandable. Have they said how many films they're making after part 3?

3. STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI
4. WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES
5. LOGAN
The Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #261
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmill216 View Post
Getting the record or not getting the record is irrelevant. It's netted over $200 million in five days. That's incredible.
Exactly. Paramount could have estimated TF2's 5-day take as over TDK's (we won't know for sure until tomorrow), but they didn't. And the news media is already disseminating that TF2 is #2 to TDK, so even if TF2's actual take the record, it won't have as much of a splash.

At any rate, I'm sure Paramount is happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
I don't see BB3 breaking any of TDK's numbers. TDK was a perfect storm. Perfect release date with no strong competition surrounding it, Joker as the main villain and the untimely passing of Ledger which created a buzz that was off the charts for this movie.

It will be interesting to see if IM2 or The Avengers will break these numbers. What makes me hesitant in saying IM2 will is its release date. TDK and TF2 benefitted from late June and mid July release dates where people were off from school. IM2 is an early May release date so that will make it more difficult to break records. Same goes for The Avengers but that movie will be enormous, so long as the movies leading into it still go according to plan.
I don't know, though. All TF2 had to do to come close to breaking TDK's records was...to be Transformers.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #262
Hound89
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
^I think Unicron will be amazing in a movie, but if they put him in the 3rd movie, how are they going to top it for a 4th, 5th, 6th, etc?

Thats why I think they should use someone like Sixshot, Thunderwing (who would definately up the stakes IMO) or Nova/Nemesis Prime and Jhiaxus (though another fallen Prime story be repetition, however I believe their stories are different enough to make it work).

IF they Go the StormBringer Route Thunderwing would be PERFECT!

Hound89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #263
Astrodust
Side-Kick

Quote:
It doesn't matter what happens with the 3rd movie. You guys will find something to complain about. The internet is full of haters and whiners. What you guys don't realize is that the general public likes films like Armageddon and Transformers. Especially in the summer when people are looking for an escape. Haters will focus on the negative details while the regular folks don't care. Normal people don't count robots and laugh at dog humping jokes.

Astrodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #264
terry78
I don't die, fool

This movie don't even need to have legs, it's already recouped its budget.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:37 PM   #265
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodust View Post
It doesn't matter what happens with the 3rd movie. You guys will find something to complain about. The internet is full of haters and whiners. What you guys don't realize is that the general public likes films like Armageddon and Transformers. Especially in the summer when people are looking for an escape. Haters will focus on the negative details while the regular folks don't care. Normal people don't count robots and laugh at dog humping jokes.
Just because people find problems with a movie, does not make them haters, it simply makes them have a difference of opinion from those who liked it.

There is no need to call anyone a hater for simply having an opinion different from your own.....

So, lets chill with the "haters" vs. "normal people" stuff.....its all just a difference of opinion, and needs to be seen as that....

Loving a movie makes you no more "normal" than hating it....

Posts like this only start flame, so lets chill....

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:07 AM   #266
miggizle85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashad View Post
Hmmm....I've read differently. These are the more updated numbers. Notice TDK sold more in less time than TF. I'll post the link when I find it.

6. Transformers - 16.270.000
5. The Dark Knight - 16,667,000
4. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - 17,383,000
3. Shrek 2 - 20,400,000
2. Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl - 21,500,000
1. Finding Nemo - 23,600,000
What's your source though? I'd seriously doubt these numbers but maybe...

miggizle85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:42 AM   #267
Avengers-Report
Side-Kick

I dont understand how such a crappy movie could make so much money

Avengers-Report is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:35 AM   #268
jmc
away for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDragon15 View Post
NY Times I think says it best.
Quote:
''People complain about Hollywood's tendency to be unadventurous with its big-money titles, but the moviegoing masses clearly get the most excited when they are not being surprised. In other words, the multiplex really rocks when movies are served up the McDonalds way: predictably and comfortably.''

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:24 AM   #269
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
NY Times I think says it best.
alot of movies fall into the type of delivery

none of them make this kinda money.

most people believed that you'd have to have a movie like TDK with story and spectacle order to

even the spiderman films tried and failed.

then along comes a film like TF and proves that it is possible to simple please an audience with simple entertainment

from the humor
cheesy romance
and an action film
cg sci fi

4 elements done so well that everyone gets what they want

...cept the haters

Old 06-29-2009, 06:26 AM   #270
miggizle85
Side-Kick

Screw the NY Times. The studios are more to blame than us. All they care about anymore is profit. They've completely shunned originality. They don't wanna risk losing money so they just keep pumping out the same formulaic (word?) films over and over again. When's the last time we got a movie from Hollywood that wasn't a remake, or a reboot, or an adaptation of a popular story/book/comic/cartoon/toy line/video game/tv show/etc etc etc.

Sure every once in a while a story adaption can be amazing (LOTR), or a reboot can be done to perfection (TDK), but if Hollywood never takes any risks then there's never going be any originality. No original stories. No original visions. Tell me where can we go these days to get something original like 2001: A Space Odyssey, E.T., Jaws, The Godfather, Goodfellas, or even Terminator, RoboCop, Nightmare on Elm St., or Ferris Bueler's Day Off? Movies like that are clear examples that you can be original and still make money. It's just that studios aren't willing to take the risks anymore. They want guaranteed box-office. They don't hang the financial success of their movies on their quality, they'd rather rest assured knowing that 20 million Twilight readers are gonna go watch the movie regardless. They wanna know that Wolverine fans are gonna pay up enough to make its money back regardless of how crappy the movie turned out.

But you know there are still original ideas today but they are few and far between, and mostly you have to be a fan of indy films in order to find them. A movie like Memento is a prime example. The Visitor, In Bruges, Before The Devil Knows Your Dead, so on and so forth. That's one place (among a few others like Pixar films, and international films) where we can still see originality but it's definately a dying art.

Last edited by miggizle85; 06-29-2009 at 06:31 AM.
miggizle85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:00 AM   #271
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Screw the NY Times. The studios are more to blame than us. All they care about anymore is profit. They've completely shunned originality. They don't wanna risk losing money so they just keep pumping out the same formulaic (word?) films over and over again. When's the last time we got a movie from Hollywood that wasn't a remake, or a reboot, or an adaptation of a popular story/book/comic/cartoon/toy line/video game/tv show/etc etc etc.

Sure every once in a while a story adaption can be amazing (LOTR), or a reboot can be done to perfection (TDK), but if Hollywood never takes any risks then there's never going be any originality. No original stories. No original visions. Tell me where can we go these days to get something original like 2001: A Space Odyssey, E.T., Jaws, The Godfather, Goodfellas, or even Terminator, RoboCop, Nightmare on Elm St., or Ferris Bueler's Day Off? Movies like that are clear examples that you can be original and still make money. It's just that studios aren't willing to take the risks anymore. They want guaranteed box-office. They don't hang the financial success of their movies on their quality, they'd rather rest assured knowing that 20 million Twilight readers are gonna go watch the movie regardless. They wanna know that Wolverine fans are gonna pay up enough to make its money back regardless of how crappy the movie turned out.

But you know there are still original ideas today but they are few and far between, and mostly you have to be a fan of indy films in order to find them. A movie like Memento is a prime example. The Visitor, In Bruges, Before The Devil Knows Your Dead, so on and so forth. That's one place (among a few others like Pixar films, and international films) where we can still see originality but it's definately a dying art.
blame the studio?
they invest 200 millions or even 300 millions sometimes and they expect money back?
what????????????

fact is that its summer and people are happy with that kind of movies.

dark_b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:26 AM   #272
baerrtt
Side-Kick

Quote:

Hollywood has always and will always be about the business first and foremost(it is their money after all) and crucially audiences have and will always make mediocre 'unoriginal' films ultra-successful in every single era.

The 'we used to see a great film every week' talk is tiresome because in 1968 you didn't get a 2001 every week, in '84 you didn't get a Terminator every week etc.

baerrtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:48 AM   #273
Nivek
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

then along comes a film like TF and proves that it is possible to simple please an audience with simple entertainment

from the humor
cheesy romance
and an action film
cg sci fi

4 elements done so well that everyone gets what they want

...cept the haters
But they feel the need to tell anyone that enjoyed it that they are stupid. Stupid, because the $200 million toy commercial is supposed to have this gravitas and deep meaning to it.

Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:17 AM   #274
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDragon15 View Post
Care to give a reason why you think this? Maybe some specifics?

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #275
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

`Transformers': Worst-reviewed $400 million hit?

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (AP) — After just five days, "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" is halfway to $400 million domestically, a box-office milestone only eight other movies have reached. If it climbs that high, the "Transformers" sequel will be by far the worst-reviewed movie ever to make the $400 million club.

Critics and mainstream crowds often disagree, but "Revenge of the Fallen" sets a new standard for the gulf between what reviewers and mass audiences like.

The movie pulled in $201.2 million since opening Wednesday, the second-best result for a movie in its first five days, just behind "The Dark Knight" with $203.8 million. Even after its whopping $60.6 million opening day, "Revenge of the Fallen" was packing theaters, a sign that unlike critics, who mostly hated the movie, audiences felt they were getting their money's worth and were giving the flick good word of mouth.

Critics "forget what the goal of the movie was. The goal of the movie is to entertain and have fun," said Rob Moore, vice chairman of Paramount, which is distributing "Transformers" for DreamWorks. "What the audience tells us is, `We couldn't be more entertained and having more fun.' They kind of roll their eyes at the critics and say, `You have no idea what you're talking about.'"

According to Paramount's exit polls, 91 percent of the audience thought the sequel was as good as or better than the first "Transformers," which received far better reviews.

Most of Hollywood's all-time biggest hits are accompanied by either good or at least passable reviews, and some can be among the year's most-acclaimed, such as this year's "Up" and "Star Trek" and last year's "The Dark Knight," "WALL-E" and "Iron Man."

Not so for the new "Transformers." On Rottentomatoes.com, a Web site that compiles critics' opinions, the sequel had only 38 positive reviews out of 187, a lowly 20 percent rating usually reserved for box-office duds.

Many critics who liked the movie had reservations, praising the movie's visual effects and relentless action but generally advising audiences to check their brains at the door.

The critical drubbing was a new low for "Transformers" director Michael Bay, never a favorite among professional movie reviewers. But he has long been a favorite among fans, scoring hits with the first "Transformers" and such flicks as "Armageddon," "Pearl Harbor," "Bad Boys II" and "The Rock."

Like blockbuster maestro Jerry Bruckheimer, who produced many of Bay's movies, the director aims to please audiences, not critics.

"He really had blinders on when it comes to what he believed the picture needs to be, and then he executed it," said Brad Grey, Paramount chairman and chief executive officer. "He's a director who is the definition of blockbuster at this point. His grosses speak for themselves."

Bay's previous worst score on Rottentomatoes was 23 percent for "Bad Boys II," followed by 25 percent for "Pearl Harbor." Even his commercial flop "The Island" rated well above the "Transformers" sequel, with 40 percent positive reviews.

Of the eight movies that have grossed more than $400 million domestically, four scored 90 percent or higher on Rottentomatoes: "The Dark Knight," "Spider-Man," "E.T. the Extra-terrestrial" and "Star Wars." Two others, "Shrek 2" and "Titanic," topped 80 percent.

The other two had mixed reviews but still came in far higher than "Revenge of the Fallen," with "Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace" scoring 63 percent and "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" rating 53 percent.

This year's biggest hits so far had terrific scores, "Up" with 97 percent and "Star Trek" with 95 percent. Both movies have grossed about $250 million, a number the "Transformers" sequel will soar past by next weekend.

On Metacritic.com, a site that assigns ratings of zero to 100 based on movie reviews, "Revenge of the Fallen" received a 36, a lowly score barely above those given to recent box-office duds "Year One" and "Land of the Lost."

Bay has said that if there is a third "Transformers" movie, he would like to come back for it. But his next project could be far quieter than the explosions and action for which he is known.

"I've got to take a little time off from the robot world," Bay said before the movie opened. "I've got to do something totally different. It's enough of this for right now. I keep saying I'm going to do my small movie. I've got one I want to do."
http://home.knology.net/news/read.ph...4_UNEWS&page=2

rashad is offline   Reply With Quote