The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 04-14-2017, 06:22 PM   #26
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Default Re: Your Biggest CBM Moments/Disappointments

Biggest Moments:

- Iron Man 1. My long time favorite character, so I loved just seeing this whole movie in general. Not the best superhero movie of all-time, but the one that personally made me smile the most. Three scenes in particular stand out:
1. The opening, which showed they completely nailed the Tony Stark character.
2. The ending with "I am Iron Man," which was a tremendous breath of fresh air at the time with how superheros and secret identities were usually handled.
3. The stinger with Nick Fury, which promised a connected superhero universe. For the first time we were going to get all these characters joining forces like in the comics.

- The interrogation scene from TDK. The best scene from the best movie in CBM history. The climatic standoff between Gordon, Batman, and Two-Face in the same film is up there too.

- The first 15 minutes of Superman: The Movie. From the opening of the curtain to the arrival of Kal-El on Earth, this whole sequence is basically perfect. I still tear up during Jor-El's farewell speech to his son. They paid Brando a ton for this movie, but it was worth it.

- The opening title sequence spoofing the opening to Raiders of the Lost Ark in GOTG. Never a big GOTG fan in the comics, but James Gunn had me completely hooked with this sequence.

- The big fight between Iron Man, Cap, and Bucky in Civil War. The airport scene was a ton of fun, but it is this fight that stands out even more to me and I loved how they didn't just go with the cliche "heroes make up to fight the real villain" ending.

- The train fight in SM2. This still might be the best fight scene of any CBM.

- Magneto killing Shaw and seizing his destiny as a leader for the mutant cause in X-Men: First Class. Great character, and FC is him at his best. FC essentially IS Magneto's movie.

Disappointments

- Watchmen. Classic graphic novel turned in a dull, ugly, paint-by-numbers copy.

- Batman v Superman. I had been waiting my whole life to see these two titans onscreen together, and it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Lex Luthor and the Martha scene really stand out as total abominations.

- Rebooting Spider-Man after SM3. Seriously one of the stupidest moves I've seen a major studio make. They could and should have just recast and moved on without Raimi and Maguire. Retelling the origin again was a massive mistake, and Sony has been paying for it ever since.

- Bryan Singer leaving X-Men after X2 to do Superman Returns. This decision ended up bad for everyone and completely deflated me when it was first announced.

- Fox's continuous butchering of Dr. Doom. 'Nuff said.

- Superman 3. The speed at which this franchise fell apart after the firing of Richard Donner was astonishing. They had a fantastic Superman in Christopher Reeve, and ended up wasting him.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:31 PM   #27
Xrated48
Drink It In Man

Best Moments
1. Every scene of the Joker in the dark knight
2. Airport fight scene from CW
3. Hydra reveal in winter soldier
4. Avengers first AOU trailer
5. Spider-Man joins the MCU
6. Cap vs Bucky fights in winter soldier
7. New York final battle The Avengers

Biggest disappointments
1. Spider-Man 3 and Venom
2. Green Lantern
3. Batman v Superman DOJ and Suicide Squad (DCEU in general)
4. Avengers Age of Ultron and too many jokes
5. Disappointing sequels such as Iron Man 2 and X-Men 3 Last Stand

Xrated48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:50 PM   #28
Batmannerism
Super-unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Venom View Post
YES! YES! YES! Moments:
B]Magneto escapes from prison in X2[/B]- This was one of those moments when the effects matched the ambition. I could watch this all day.
Yeah, for me a lot of the highlights of the X films have been Magneto moments, and the escape from the plastic prison is certainly one of his absolute highlights.

He gets at least one amazing power stunt in every film where he moves something unbelievably big

- in X Men, where he disarms all the cops at once and threatens them with their own guns.

- in X2, the escape, real classic Magneto, and of course turning the makeshift cerebro against Stryker.

- in X3 moving the bridge, and the jail break (the truck jail).

- in First Class, moving the submarine and putting the coin through Shaw's head.

- in DOFP, moving the stadium.

- in XMA, well slaughtering the cops was pretty chilling, and then helping Apocalypse tear up cities.

All in all, Magneto has been the most consistently awesome character in the franchise, for me. I've always been a fan of the comic book character and he and Professor X have been the only characters who really lived up to their counterparts IMO - a combination of a great actor and a great character.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:54 PM   #29
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism

All in all, Magneto has been the most consistently awesome character in the franchise, for me. I've always been a fan of the comic book character and he and Professor X have been the only characters who really lived up to their counterparts IMO - a combination of a great actor and a great character.
I would say Wolverine as well (and I guess Deadpool now, if you count him), although like you, Magneto is my favorite. Whether McKellen or Fassbender, he is consistently the highlight of these films.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:16 PM   #30
Batmannerism
Super-unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
I would say Wolverine as well (and I guess Deadpool now, if you count him), although like you, Magneto is my favorite. Whether McKellen or Fassbender, he is consistently the highlight of these films.
To be honest I felt they never quite got Wolverine right. Something I felt the movies missed out on was his deep sense of honour and inherent nobility - a sort of samurai ethos that he often displayed in the comics. To me, in the films he always came off as a bit self-pitying .....until Logan, in which he had good reason to feel ****** about the cards life dealt him.

Totally agree on Magneto though - in fact they only really did 2 X-films in which he didn't appear, so important was he to the series (I'm counting the cameo at the end of the Wolverine of course).

Old 04-14-2017, 10:42 PM   #31
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Best:

Pre 21st Century Craze
-Jor-El saying goodbye to Kal in Superman: The Movie.
-Superman saving the helicopter and Lois in STM.
-Superman "kneeling" before Zod and breaking his hand in Superman II.
-Batman's reveal in 1989's Batman.
-Joker's Reveal in B'89 to Grissom.
-Batman takes Vicki Vale to the Batcave.
-Ending coda to B'89 as signal is lit, Vicki walks alone to the car, and Batman stands on rooftop.
-Catwoman and Shrek's "deaths" followed by the death of the Penguin in Batman Returns.
-Bruce finding Selina's cat and spending Christmas Eve with Alfred, as Selina watches the signal.

Modern CBM
-Wolverine first unleashing his claws in front of Rogue in X-Men (2000).
-Wolverine giving his powers to Rogue atop the Statue of Liberty.
-Xavier and Magneto's chess game in X-Men.
-Nightcrawler in the White House in X2.
-Wolverine goes berserk in mansion raid in X2.
-Jean goes Phoenix and "dies" in X2.

-Peter Parker web swings for the first time in Spider-Man.
-Upside down kiss in Spider-Man.
-Death of Green Goblin and final swing in Spider-Man.
-Doc Ock kills surgeons in SM2.
-Spidey vs. Doc Ock building fight in SM2.
-Spidey gives up costume in SM2.
-Spidey vs. Doc Ock on clocktower/runaway train.
-Last 10 minutes of Spidey 2 from him lowering MJ off the crane.
-Birth of Sandman in SM3.

-Just gonna' save time and say pretty much all of The Dark Knight Trilogy with exceptions to Talia's death and some of Katie Holmes' line-readings.

-Tony Stark's escape from an Afghan cave in IM1.
-Tony Stark returns to Afghanistan in finished suit in IM1.
-Final news conference in IM1.
-Avengers squabble before staff in The Avengers.
-Pretty much all of the third act of The Avengers.
-Airport free for all in Captain America: Civil War.

-Magneto kills the Nazis in XFC.
-Xavier and Magneto find their first "students" montage in XFC.
-Charles and Magneto as Cold War spies in Russia in XFC.
-Magneto kills Shaw, and then nearly kills hundreds on a Cuban beach, leaving Charles paralyzed.
-Quicksilver showcase in DOFP.
-Erik almost kills Mystique in Paris in DOFP.
-Third act of DOFP where everyone in the future dies, and Erik destroys White House.
-Apocalypse Goes Nuclear/Beethoven scene in Apocalypse.
-Quicksilver showcase in Apocalypse.
-Phoenix in Apocalypse.

-Pretty much all of Logan.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:46 PM   #32
Rowsdower!
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
I didn't really think about that.

Not sure how many people die in the XMA as a result of Apocalypse's geo-tinkering, but yeah Magneto and Storm don't see a problem with that - which for Storm, who in the comics is very against killing, is weird, but for Magneto, well he hates humanity and probably would wipe out a million humans rather than kill a mutant (especially Charles Xavier, in the movies he's never been able to bring himself to kill Charles), he's got a very warped morality there.

But yeah, it does seem a weird turning point for those two when you think about it.

As for Quest for Peace, yeah it's garbage, but to be honest I'd rather watch that than Batman v Superman - at least Christopher Reeve is good in it.
LOL, yeah me too. At least I can laugh at Superman IV for how bad it is. Watching BvS just pisses me off.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:01 PM   #33
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
As for Quest for Peace, yeah it's garbage, but to be honest I'd rather watch that than Batman v Superman - at least Christopher Reeve is good in it.
Yep.
And it's a funny movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
LOL, yeah me too. At least I can laugh at Superman IV for how bad it is. Watching BvS just pisses me off.
Agreed.

YOUTUBE
To Quit or not to Quit, that is the question.

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:36 AM   #34
Batmannerism
Super-unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post

Quest for Peace is terrible, but amidst all the garbage are a couple of pretty good moments - I still love Superman's speech at the UN. Every moment Chris Reeve is onscreen the film gets better....and then falls off a cliff every moment he's not there.

Even his "super masonry vision" where he rebuilds the Great Wall of China, by looking at it, well nobody else could pull that off.

As for B v S, it's got that great Superman moment where......oh wait, no it doesn't. Somehow it manages to make Superman's sacrifice feel underwhelming and hollow, and drained all the joy out of the character. Sigh.

Okay, enough about that, time for a great moment - have to say that back in 1989, seeing Keaton appear in the Batsuit for the first time was pretty cool.
Batman live action had gone from being a lame joke to being reasonably badass.

Someone also mentioned Tony's escape from the Afghan cave, and that was a pretty amazing sequence.

And of course Nightcrawler vs the White House - I don't care for Singer's films so much, but once in a while he delivers a scene that just knocks your socks off, and this is one of them.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:35 AM   #35
AlluAllu
Side-Kick

Some of my favorite moments from MCU:

- Tony builds his suits.
- Bruce evades capture in Brazil.
- Supersoldier Blonsky vs the Hulk.
- Suitcase armor.
- Thor is banished.
- Thor destroys Bifrost.
- Star spangled man with the plan.
- Cap saves the troops.
- "I had a date."
- Intro to Cap in Avengers. (Weirdly that short scene is one of my favorites.)
- Entire third act of the Avengers.
- Tony rescues people falling from plane.
- Mandarin twist.
- House party protocol.
- Frigga's funeral.
- Dimension hopping with Malekith.
- Cap fights on a boat.
- Nick Fury assassination.
- Zola.
- Steve and Natasha bond.
- Title of Guardians of the Galaxy. Come and get your love, indeed.
- Escape from Kyln.
- "Dance off bro" and "we're the Guardians of the Galaxy"
- Avengers have a party.
- Birth of Vision.
- Paul Rudd is awesome.
- Fight on top of a toy train.
- Avengers debate the Accords.
- Steve gets a hug at Peggy's funeral.
- Meet Peter Parker.
- Airport fight (where Paul Rudd is again awesome)
- Chilling fight between Tony, Steve & Bucky.
- Ancient One against the zealots.
- Doctor Strange levitates with the cloak for the first time as Giacchino's theme is being glorious.
- "Dormammu, I've come to bargain!"

God I love this series.

AlluAllu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #36
Heretic
Side-Kick

Pretty much the entirety of Age of Ultron was a disappointment for me (Hawkeye's stuff, the Black Widow stuff, Thor's bath time, Vision lifting Mjolner which will lessen the impact if Cap ever lifts it...and I felt like the final seconds were an intentional slap in fan's faces). To point out one thing though...I think that this movie's concept should have started with one specific moment: "Ultron, we would have words with thee" and then write the story to get to that moment. I can't believe that this movie exists and they didn't bother to include that line in the climax.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #37
CB Fan
The Watcher

Biggest disappointment: X3, Phoenix not rising from the lake with full Phoenix fire/aura to name a specific moment.

CB Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:15 PM   #38
The Batman
The Dark Knight

BIGGEST MOMENTS:

1. Superman's First Night: To this day, this might be the best introduction for a superhero, mainly because it fits the character so perfectly. The buildup to Clark becoming Superman was just right, and the Telephone booth gag shows that even in 1978, they were making fun of tried and true Superman tropes. After the legendary plane rescue, he does more quintessential Superman things like stop thieves, rescue cats from trees, and save Air Force One.

2. "I'm Batman": Another introductory scene that fits its respective superhero perfectly. It was a nice touch making the family similar to Bruce and his parents. We're quickly introduced to a scummy version of Gotham City. This scene does an effective job at selling the Urban legend aspect of Batman, and sells Keaton as Batman as well.

3. Batman crashes through skylight, rescues Vicki, takes her to Batcave: One of my all time sequences in a CBM. Batman makes another badass entrance, Joker utters another classic line, we get introduced to the Batmobile, Batman beats up some thugs, we get the epic "Descent into mystery" score by Elfman, and we get Batman ultimately giving Vicki the means to stop one of Joker's schemes.

4. Spider-Man vs Doc Ock: Still the best one on one fight in CBM history. Peter managing to rescue an entire train was the cherry on top.

5. "Come and Get Your Love": The moment this song starts playing was the moment when I knew I was going to love Guardians of the Galaxy, especially when Starlord takes a space-ferret and pretends its a microphone.

6. Batman/Joker Interrogation: One of the best moments in one of, if not the best CBM. Pretty much summed up the Batman/Joker relationship in one scene.

7. These Films: Superman: The Movie, Superman 2, Batman 89', Blade, X2, Spider-Man 2, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Iron Man, X-Men: First Class, The Avengers, The Winter Soldier, Days of Future Past, Guardians of the Galaxy, Deadpool, Civil War

Old 04-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #39
NealKenneth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
I think that this movie's concept should have started with one specific moment: "Ultron, we would have words with thee" and then write the story to get to that moment. I can't believe that this movie exists and they didn't bother to include that line in the climax.
Well it was never meant to be a retelling of the story from the comics, they just liked the title.

As long as it's been brought up though, I think that line and moment are pretty lame. Reminds me of the sort of thing that happened all the time in Millar's Ultimates...talk about pretensious!

NealKenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:32 PM   #40
The Shape
In the shadows

Biggest disappointment = Spider-man 3. Still burns to this day.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:53 PM   #41
Heretic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealKenneth View Post
Well it was never meant to be a retelling of the story from the comics, they just liked the title.

As long as it's been brought up though, I think that line and moment are pretty lame. Reminds me of the sort of thing that happened all the time in Millar's Ultimates...talk about pretensious!
The line isn't from the Age of Ultron comic storyline, it's from a different storyline involving Ultron. So, I'm not sure what your first point is all about. For the record, I haven't read the Age of Ultron comics...so if they re-used the line then that is news to me.

Yeah...in the real world that line is stupid...but this is a comic book fantasy world brought to life...and that moment was freaking epic in the comic.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:57 PM   #42
Ivan Drago
Do Not Want

Biggest disappointment

Spider-Man 3, and to a lesser extent, The Dark Knight Rises.

2017 superhero movie ratings

1. Logan: 9.5/10
2. Guardians of the Galaxy 2: 6.5/10
3. Wonder Woman: 6.5/10
4. Spider-Man Homecoming: 8.5/10
Ivan Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:07 AM   #43
Batmannerism
Super-unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post

5. "Come and Get Your Love": The moment this song starts playing was the moment when I knew I was going to love Guardians of the Galaxy, especially when Starlord takes a space-ferret and pretends its a microphone.
Yeah, I had that exact same feeling. After seeing Pete's mom pass away from cancer, pretty much the way my own mother died, I was wondering what I had got myself into. But as soon as Peter starts to dance and the logo comes large on the screen, I knew it was going to be a great movie, and I was going to love it !

Old 04-20-2017, 07:10 PM   #44
Alien Anal
Side-Kick

The one that punched me in the gut...the opening scene in Superman Returns. I never wanted to see Lex wearing a stupid wig again and the first thing we see...Lex wearing a ****ing wig. God damn it. I hate that movie so much

Alien Anal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:19 AM   #45
Batmannerism
Super-unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Anal View Post
The one that punched me in the gut...the opening scene in Superman Returns. I never wanted to see Lex wearing a stupid wig again and the first thing we see...Lex wearing a ****ing wig. God damn it. I hate that movie so much
Yup, I feel your pain - I would rather watch Quest for Peace, and follow it up
with Batman and Robin and Catwoman and Green Lantern, than see Superman Returns again.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #46
Rowsdower!
Banned User

Ugh. Yeah, Superman Returns is one of my biggest disappointments... and it's one of those cases where I'd say it's pretty much the entire film. From Supermute having virtually no personality whatsoever to Lex wearing stupid wigs and banging a 96-year-old to Lois being a stuck-up b***h to Perry acting like he has Alzheimer's to Parker Posey's lame Miss Tessmacher impression to Lex's stupid "I'm going to grow an island in the middle of the Atlantic and make a ton of money off of it because somehow the U.N. is just going to let me keep it" plot to that awful Super-scuba diver costume with the trash bag cape to THAT STUPID KID, that movie make my skin crawl and my blood boil. The only redeeming factors in it were Jimmy Olsen, the plane rescue sequence and that deleted Krypton scene.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:09 PM   #47
Awest66
Side-Kick

My biggest disappointment in recent memory is the entirety of Suicide Squad.

Awest66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:10 PM   #48
Frodo
Side-Kick

Biggest disappointments

Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice
Spiderman 3
X men 3
The Dark Knight Rises to an extent
Amazing Spiderman 2

Biggest Moments