The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Old 04-14-2018, 07:00 PM   #1
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum

Default Musical Nostalgia

Have you ever looked up an old song that you haven't heard in years and be surprised at how many other people have also searched for it? Those one hit wonders that got overplayed and then faded away, but still hold memories for you.

Mine are Carnival, by Natalie Merchant.
Du Hast, Rammstein
Gangstas Paradise, Coolio

Basically a lot of mid 90s stuff for me.

Hobgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:11 AM   #2
McAdoo

Default Re: Musical Nostalgia

The music I cherished as a youngster implies more to me than any time in recent memory—yet with each passing year, the new melodies on the radio sound like boisterous jabber. On a goal level, I know this has neither rhyme nor reason.

McAdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #3
ComicChick
Mmmm... Pizza
SHH! Global Moderator

i don't know if this counts, but there are songs i've not heard for a long time that I've relistened to and have grown to love even more.

example, i recently heard Concrete Blonde's Tomorrow Wendy again for the first time in years and it was like I'd never heard it before. It's such an intense song and knowing what it's truly about and the story behind it made it all the more poignant. I know i've heard it over 100 times since i re-discovered it

I drawl, and I drawl. My Art Thread yall
ComicChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:29 PM   #4
childeroland
Side-Kick

I listen to old stuff all the time, but it still happens to me once in a blue moon, mostly when I'm tired of my playlist and I start looking for other stuff and happen upon a long-forgotten song.

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy

Nothing isn't better or worse than anything. Nothing is just nothing. Arya Stark

Spellcaster now available at Amazon and Barnes & Noble
childeroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:56 PM   #5
Jh7058622
Side-Kick

I've been searching for one song for the better part of a decade now I used to listen to in the early 2000's and can't find it anywhere I'm truly stumped. I wonder if I even remember the song lyrics right or if i may have dreamed the whole thing up anymore.

Jh7058622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:37 PM   #6
ComicChick
Mmmm... Pizza
SHH! Global Moderator

tell us about it and maybe we can help

I drawl, and I drawl. My Art Thread yall
ComicChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:29 PM   #7
Popndough
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicChick View Post
i don't know if this counts, but there are songs i've not heard for a long time that I've relistened to and have grown to love even more.

example, i recently heard Concrete Blonde's Tomorrow Wendy again for the first time in years and it was like I'd never heard it before. It's such an intense song and knowing what it's truly about and the story behind it made it all the more poignant. I know i've heard it over 100 times since i re-discovered it

That whole album is great, and TW is my favorite song on it. I still break it out every Halloween to listen to even after 28 years.

An album I rediscovered lately in my cd wallet is Moustache by Betwixt(Boston band). I hadn't listened to it in over 18 years, but I've been listening to it nonstop the past week.

Here's some songs I like to go back to on youtube:
Stars by Hum, Destination Ursa Major by Superdrag, Flashlight by Fuzzy, Here's where the story Ends by The Sundays, You can't bring me down by Suicidal Tendencies, Lucky Guy by the Muffs, New York City by Cub

Vapour Trail by Ride, and the Wagon by Dinosaur Jr. bring me back to winter 90-91 senior year of high school . I taped those off the radio and played them every morning on the way to school. It was just enough time to get through both songs.

Popndough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:29 PM   #8
Jh7058622
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicChick View Post
tell us about it and maybe we can help
I find it completely impossible to describe... it's like a very late 90s early 00s pop/r&b song that the lyrics are like 'all that I have waited for dun dun dun" (it might have been a girl group) and even then I don't know if those lyrics are correct. When I heard it first it was when my mom was cleaning at our then house with the music channel on. I heard it several more times under the same circumstances and I was always too late to see the name of the group or singer of the song. I thought maybe I dreamed it but it happened too many times for me to have imagined this ongoing recurring dream.

'

Old 05-17-2018, 12:02 AM   #9
Popndough
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jh7058622 View Post
I find it completely impossible to describe... it's like a very late 90s early 00s pop/r&b song that the lyrics are like 'all that I have waited for dun dun dun" (it might have been a girl group) and even then I don't know if those lyrics are correct. When I heard it first it was when my mom was cleaning at our then house with the music channel on. I heard it several more times under the same circumstances and I was always too late to see the name of the group or singer of the song. I thought maybe I dreamed it but it happened too many times for me to have imagined this ongoing recurring dream.

'

This was the first song that came up when I googled those lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EVd_zghQXA

but it's country.

or maybe this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcj9O-Cv48c

or Janet Jackson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5ecZWwO_hQ

or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av3hEJtgh8U

This site I found actually has a bunch of similar lyrics with the song titles https://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cg...xa&loc=gwicbar

You could google any songs by artists that have that R&B sound.

Last edited by Popndough; 05-17-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Popndough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:48 AM   #10
Jh7058622
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popndough View Post
This was the first song that came up when I googled those lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EVd_zghQXA

but it's country.

or maybe this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcj9O-Cv48c

or Janet Jackson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5ecZWwO_hQ

or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av3hEJtgh8U

This site I found actually has a bunch of similar lyrics with the song titles https://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cg...xa&loc=gwicbar

You could google any songs by artists that have that R&B sound.
Thanks for trying I just don't think I'm going to find a it any time soon. The that lyric finder might come in handy.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #11
Matt Mortem
The King has returned

Rammstein's Rosenrot album is extremely nostalgic to me. I played that album into the ground my senior year of High School.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #12
CJ
Side-Kick

Being a child of the late 80's, Paula Abdul's 'Straight Up' is very nostalgic for me. Also liked the song 'What a Wonderful World'

As for my teen years, I listened to Red Hot Chili Peppers 'Californication' album a lot.

John 14:13-14

https://youtu.be/8Yl_msU0ffA
Incredible Video! JESUS IS LORD!
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:40 AM   #13
StasyWalker

"Guys and Dolls" (1950) - The Frank Loesser musical about two-bit gamblers and goody-two-shoes is a perennial favorite at high schools, despite such ancient-sounding song titles as "A Bushel and Peck."
"Seussical: The Musical" (2000) - The Cat in the Hat and Horton hearing Who's? This is how you tap into nostalgia if your audience isn't old enough to drive.
"Thoroughly Modern Millie" (2002) - It's a new musical that feels like a classic, with a story about a plucky girl from the Plains trying to make it in the Big Apple during the flapper era.
"Bye Bye Birdie" (1960) - "Put on a Happy Face" is one of the big numbers from this classic tuner. The story of a rock star drafted into the Army was inspired by Elvis Presley.
"Into the Woods" (1987) - Fractured fairy tales from Stephen Sondheim, which means this is by far the most challenging musical for high-school students to sing.
"Disney's High School Musical" (2006) - The made-for-TV movie was so popular that it was adapted for the stage later that year. The only surprise is how low it is on this list.
"Once Upon a Mattress" (1959) - Fairy tales also are the inspiration for this musical, which might not get bumped off the list until "Shrek" finishes its Broadway run.
"Grease" (1972) - The original high-school musical about the long-lost age of the sock hop. A popular Broadway revival starring Arizona-bred Max Crumm closed earlier this year.

StasyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote