The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

View Poll Results: Favorite Potter book?
Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone 1 1.19%
Chamber of Secrets 3 3.57%
Prisoner of Azkaban 18 21.43%
Goblet of Fire 19 22.62%
Order of the Phoenix 15 17.86%
Half-Blood Prince 17 20.24%
Deathly Hallows 11 13.10%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2009, 09:29 PM   #76
Kevin
Doug not so Funny

Default Re: The Harry Potter Thread!

Plue, HBP is the first book where Draco "got" Harry. I loled.

\K/ COMICBOY
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #77
Watson
Ninja delivery girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugfugly View Post
That he was gay for Harry?
uh, no. Does are noble animals, and within mythology (along with stags) are supposed to represent the pure of heart. You could argue that Snape did embody these things despite his involvement with Voldy.

Quote:
What about Tonks' new patronus being a werewolf?

I think it represents what's in your heart and the idea that Lilly may have had a doe patronus and Snape taking that makes alot of sense.
I remember them saying she had a new patronus, but was it confirmed as a werewolf? I can't remember. And that too works as an explanation, though I think it would take a powerful love to change your patronus. Snape and Lily would fit that criteria.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #78
StorminNorman
Banned User

[quote=chaseter;16274072]Cho betrayed Harry so I guess he was single and ready to mingle and Ginny was the first to tickle his pickle.

Quote:
Hermione cared about Quidditch because Ron cared about Quidditch
Except that the year prior she left Ron's Quidditch match to follow Harry. Hermione always cared about Quidditich because of HARRY, not Ron.

Agian, Hermione and Ron's only thing in common was Harry making their relationship silly - but thats another point entirely. The forced cliched nature of Ron/Hermione's relationship goes beyond the realms of HBP.

Quote:
Ron wasn't in his right mind anyways due to the love potion and being now involved with Quidditch...his mind was else where. Hermione does hate Malfoy but she has always questioned Harry's hunches by giving alternative explanations to it and this was no different. I think also because Snape was protecting Malfoy's interests to save him and that was something the students saw and just let it go...unlike Harry.
Ron didn't care about Harry's suspicions before Quidditch or Love Potions were a matter. While yes, Hermione DOES question Harry's hunches - she always follows them as well. She aided them against Snape even though she had her doubts (she lit his cloak on fire!) and she went to the Department of Mysteries even though she thought it could be a trap.

Quote:
How did Felix Felicis defy the logic of this world?
If Felix Felicis was real than Harry wouldn't be the only one smart enough to have people use it during battle.

Yes, I get that over exposure becomes dangerous and what not, but that wouldn't prevent people - ESPECIALLY Death Eaters - from using it. Felix Felicis served no purpose besides providing a cheap, lazy solution to a plot point (getting the memory). It was simply an example of poor writing which, oddly, become far more common in JKR's later works.

Now I know I may seem harsh, but thats because I love. Harry Potter is one of my favorite franchises ever and HBP's release rivaled my enthusiasm for The Dark Knight. I love the World of Harry Potter, I love the Characters of Harry Potter - but JKR's increased dependence on lazy, popcorn writing left me very disappointed. I don't see her being a good adult detective writer.

StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:58 AM   #79
StorminNorman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingfantasy15 View Post
I think it was done fine, didn't you ever have a female friend or classmate that you never really thought of in a romantic sense as a kid, then one day you notice how hot she's become. That's the way I saw it, Harry finally realizing he's attracted to Ginny. They did have a lot in common, both liked Quittich, both very personally affected by Voldemort, both good at Defense Against the Dark Arts, Rowling made sure to mention how well she performed as a member of the DA.
Nope. Harry has never shown any interest in Ginny before, ever. We know because we are in his head. Nothing had changed in between the Ginny of HBP and Ginny of TOoTP. Also nothing had really changed with Harry either. Now it could of been handled well, before HBP I had read fan fiction where Ginny and Harry got together and it worked, it was not handled well here.

Ginny being Harry Jr. with breasts is not exactly relationship material.

Quote:
Hermione always cared about Quittich in terms of supporting her friends and house. As for attacking Ron, that was just being upset, she is a teenage girl after all, let's also not forget this was the girl brewing polyjuice potion to interogate another student in her second year. Hermione wasn't exactly squeaky clean during the series.
She cared about Quidditch when it involved HARRY and never enough to break rules. Hermione's brewing polyjuice potion had the goal of saving lives (stopping the Chamber of Secrets) and it included the benefit of being an intellectually stimulating feat. Hermione wasn't squeaky clean but she never simply ignored rules or broke them casually.

Quote:
For 6 years, Harry tried to pin things on both Snape and Malfoy and they always turned out to be innocent. Call out Harry crying wolf too many times.
And Hermione and Ron always followed Harry - again Hermione followed Harry last time in spite of her doubts. Hermione simply did not act like Hermione in this book and Ron was too involved with ridiculous romantic sub plots to be a useful character.

Quote:
It's a magical world again there were plenty of things that defied logic.
I understand that and I am not questioning it breaking the logic of this world - Felix Felicis broke the logic of THEIR world. It was Deus Ex Machina in a bottle.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #80
StorminNorman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Watson View Post
uh, no. Does are noble animals, and within mythology (along with stags) are supposed to represent the pure of heart. You could argue that Snape did embody these things despite his involvement with Voldy.
It would be hard to describe Snape as someone with a pure heart. Yes, he redeemed himself - but so did Darth Vader and I don't think that describes him either.

This is still a middle aged guy that picked out and punished an eleven year old kid because his daddy made fun of him in class.

Snape was a great character, a fascinating character but not a noble one nor one with a pure heart.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:06 PM   #81
chaseter
Barf

Felix Felicis is extremely hard and long to make. I am sure Voldemort could make it but he is too proud and arrogant to do so and most of his Death Eaters are idiots.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #82
Watson
Ninja delivery girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminNorman Returns View Post
It would be hard to describe Snape as someone with a pure heart. Yes, he redeemed himself - but so did Darth Vader and I don't think that describes him either.

This is still a middle aged guy that picked out and punished an eleven year old kid because his daddy made fun of him in class.

Snape was a great character, a fascinating character but not a noble one nor one with a pure heart.
Yea, I know it was a stretch . I wonder what shape his patronus would take if it weren't a representative of Lily's?

Old 01-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #83
StorminNorman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Felix Felicis is extremely hard and long to make. I am sure Voldemort could make it but he is too proud and arrogant to do so and most of his Death Eaters are idiots.
Its a shame didn't have a potions master on hand...

Old 01-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #84
StorminNorman
Banned User

Quote:
Yea, I know it was a stretch . I wonder what shape his patronus would take if it weren't a representative of Lily's?
Thats a good question...

My guess would not be a panda bear.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #85
Ugfugly
Banned User

I kind of saw Felix Felicis as a self confidence potion. It was highlighted when Harry pretended to put it in Ron's pumpkin juice. It had the same effect on him as it did in Harry when he took it.

When Harry was "taken over" by Felix Felicis, it was all about trusting his instincts and doing what he felt was the right thing. What we would consider "luck" is just taking opportunity when we see it, or opening our eyes to opportunity when it arises. There was nothing really supernatural happening when he was going through it.

I might be giving the author too much credit on that analysis but that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

Ugfugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #86
chaseter
Barf

Never thought of it that way! I know the same sort of ideal has been used in many movies and books.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #87
Kud-Dukan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugfugly View Post
I kind of saw Felix Felicis as a self confidence potion. It was highlighted when Harry pretended to put it in Ron's pumpkin juice. It had the same effect on him as it did in Harry when he took it.

When Harry was "taken over" by Felix Felicis, it was all about trusting his instincts and doing what he felt was the right thing. What we would consider "luck" is just taking opportunity when we see it, or opening our eyes to opportunity when it arises. There was nothing really supernatural happening when he was going through it.

I might be giving the author too much credit on that analysis but that's my story and i'm sticking to it.
That's how I always saw it too.

Kud-Dukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #88
Asteroid-Man
Ham Sammiches

Deathly Hallows
Half-Blood Prince
Order of the Phoenix
Goblet of Fire
Chamber of Secrets
Philosopher's Stone
Prisoner of Azkaban (the time turner part at the end was really confusing on paper)

America today finds herself in a unique situation... to become involved in a bloodless revolution
Posting Since 09/24/05 10:30 am
Asteroid-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:50 PM   #89
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Quote:
Bump.
My guess is a bat, considering how many times Rowling described him as bat-like.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #90
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminNorman View Post
Agian, Hermione and Ron's only thing in common was Harry making their relationship silly - but thats another point entirely. The forced cliched nature of Ron/Hermione's relationship goes beyond the realms of HBP.

Ron didn't care about Harry's suspicions before Quidditch or Love Potions were a matter. While yes, Hermione DOES question Harry's hunches - she always follows them as well. She aided them against Snape even though she had her doubts (she lit his cloak on fire!) and she went to the Department of Mysteries even though she thought it could be a trap.
To an extent I agree. There was some subtle foreshadowing of Harry and Ginny in GOF and OOTP. However, with Ron and Hermione...well, Hermione's personality up until HBP always seemed to imply that she saw him as more of a little brother than a love interest. Ron clearly had feelings for her. In OOTP he tries to give her perfume for Christmas (a romantic gift) but her response is, "Oh that was unusual," or something along those lines. I always thought there was more foreshadowing to a Ron/Luna romance than Ron and Hermione.

Last edited by Matt; 07-22-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:37 AM   #91
Sloth7d
Escapist

Quote:
I re-read these through the summmer. I always love 'em, but God help me I hate the Harry/Ginny pairing. It felt so forced, and all that cliche "I love you but I can't be with you because of the danger!" really annoyed me. I've never be an H/H shipper but I would have preferred anyone to Ginny. Even Luna!
I had no problems with Ginny/Harry, but I honestly did expect Harry and Luna to partner up with the way she was the only one able to understand and console him in OotP. I was surprised at how quickly she became a background character in HBP.

Sloth7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:34 AM   #92
Speedball
Don't. Blink.

OOTP was the first book where I ever went "WTF just happened?!" toward the end and had to reread certain chapters because I couldn't believe what happened. It blew my mind... It was also one of the first books I read in two days when it came out...

Speedball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #93
CBG
Side-Kick

Epilogue ruined things for me. JKR should have either rewrote it or never did it in the first place.

CBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:27 PM   #94
AndThePickles
Kiss the girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBG View Post
Epilogue ruined things for me. JKR should have either rewrote it or never did it in the first place.
Yes, I hate it so much

*~FHM~*
AndThePickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:50 AM   #95
CWP
Side-Kick

I love these books. So many great ideas and characters in one unforgettable story. My favorite would probably be Goblet of Fire. If only the film could have followed at least half of the pages.

CWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:36 AM   #96
Sloth7d
Escapist

The film absolutely had to cut and change certain details due to time constraints, but all key plot points in GoF were encompased into the film.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:35 AM   #97
CWP
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth7d View Post
The film absolutely had to cut and change certain details due to time constraints, but all key plot points in GoF were encompased into the film.
Okay, so it makes a good homage to the fans of the book by bringing our favorite scenes to the silver screen. But the things that were changed made the film much more confusing and out of order than the book. For example, the removal of Ludo Bagman's (I think) character, which played an essential role in the book's plot. Or introducing Rita Skeeter yet not covering any of her side story that is in the book.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:36 AM   #98
Sloth7d
Escapist

Honestly, neither of those characters side stories were really needed. Sure the addition to detail makes it better, but of all the characters who were shafted a bit, I believe they were good choices. The film seemed coherent in my opinion without them.

The only ones I'm a bit disappointed by is Dobby and Winky. Their exclusion is going to make DH a little confusing. Though this isn't just a problem with GoF. OotP also overshadowed Kreacher with other plot points. Even HBP is responsible for overlooking plot points that will be essential in DH, but the books simply became too long to adapt completely after PoA. Can't be helped. It will be interesting to see how they pull everything together in the end.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:31 AM   #99
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWP View Post
Okay, so it makes a good homage to the fans of the book by bringing our favorite scenes to the silver screen. But the things that were changed made the film much more confusing and out of order than the book. For example, the removal of Ludo Bagman's (I think) character, which played an essential role in the book's plot. Or introducing Rita Skeeter yet not covering any of her side story that is in the book.
Ludo was featured quite a bit, but his role was not essential to the plot at all. I liked the character, but his exclusion in the film made no major impact. And the basic essence of Skeeter was there, aside from the mystery behind her scoops, because, well, in the film, there was no mystery. And she wasn't banned from the Hogwarts grounds. And I don't think there was anything about her being an unregistered animagus. But she was an annoying and frustrating reporter... and that's all she really needed to be. Once again, though, these bits only fleshed out the story but weren't necessary to the plot. I think S.P.E.W. and Dobby were more essential, seeing as they continue on throughout the series.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #100
CWP
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Bamfer View Post
I think S.P.E.W. and Dobby were more essential, seeing as they continue on throughout the series.
You're right, S.P.E.W. too. I had forgotten about that.