The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #276
roach
I am the night

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - Part 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
Wasn't the computer meant to be Braniac in an early draft?

I know Robert Vaughn stepped in to play "Luthor" cos Hackman didn't come back.

Superman 3 is just a really weird film. You think it's bad while watching it and that it can't get any worse. Then you watch Superman 4... and your mind is open to a whole new world of suck.
I don't believe that movie had an early draft...I don't believe it had a script. I think they just did what they wanted in front of a camera and edited it into something

Old 02-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #277
Rocketman
Banned User

Actually, I would genuinely be open to a female Brainiac. I think that's a cool idea.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #278
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Actually, I would genuinely be open to a female Brainiac. I think that's a cool idea.
Brainiac doesn't need to be a gender.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #279
Sawyer
High King

I wouldn't mind an utterly androgynous Brainiac. And, thus, Tilda Swinton should play the role.

Or David Bowie.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Old 02-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #280
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel The Pizza

Tilda Swinton, Benedict Cumberbatch or David Bowie for Brainiac!

Old 02-27-2014, 05:52 PM   #281
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I wouldn't mind an utterly androgynous Brainiac. And, thus, Tilda Swinton should play the role.

Or David Bowie.
or that 'guy' that played Ra in Star Gate

Old 02-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #282
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
I don't believe that movie had an early draft...I don't believe it had a script. I think they just did what they wanted in front of a camera and edited it into something
They went from Krpytonian criminals taking over the world...

To the Man from Uncle and Richard Pryor using insider trading to control the price of coffee beans...

Also Clark went back to Smallville and had a fling with his own mum... from "Smallville"

HERESY!
Old 02-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #283
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post

Or David Bowie.
Yeah I'm a big fan of the idea of androgynous Braniac.

HERESY!
Old 02-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #284
Nightwing1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Wasn't the computer meant to be Braniac in an early draft?

I know Robert Vaughn stepped in to play "Luthor" cos Hackman didn't come back.

Superman 3 is just a really weird film. You think it's bad while watching it and that it can't get any worse. Then you watch Superman 4... and your mind is open to a whole new world of suck.
The thing that confuses Me most is the fact that Hackman returned for Superman 4 but wouldn't for 3. Why?? Did he honestly think 4 would be better than 3? I mean neither is a good film by any means but 3 definitely sucked less and had some good concepts, like the return to smallville, Lana Lang, etc.

Also I always thought it was pretty cool how Annette O'Toole played Lana in 3 and then went on to play Martha Kent in smallville.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:05 PM   #285
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing1 View Post
The thing that confuses Me most is the fact that Hackman returned for Superman 4 but wouldn't for 3. Why?? Did he honestly think 4 would be better than 3? I mean neither is a good film by any means but 3 definitely sucked less and had some good concepts, like the return to smallville, Lana Lang, etc.

Also I always thought it was pretty cool how Annette O'Toole played Lana in 3 and then went on to play Martha Kent in smallville.
I believe that Hackman's refusal to return for Superman 3 had more to do with his distaste for how Richard Donner was treated than with the film's actual quality. I also believe that by the time Superman 4 came out, the people who had fired Donner no longer had control of the franchise, so Hackman's big reason for leaving was gone. But don't quote me on that.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:30 PM   #286
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I believe that Hackman's refusal to return for Superman 3 had more to do with his distaste for how Richard Donner was treated than with the film's actual quality. I also believe that by the time Superman 4 came out, the people who had fired Donner no longer had control of the franchise, so Hackman's big reason for leaving was gone. But don't quote me on that.
How the Salkinds treated Donner was petty as hell and at the end of the day a horrible artistic choice. The way they exploited the property with the horrible Supergirl movie and Superboy TV series doesn't help their cause either.

That said we still have the Salkinds to thank for having the vision that a big budget Superhero blockbuster could work. Without that we might not have had any of the CBM movies we have today.

HERESY!
Old 02-27-2014, 06:35 PM   #287
Sawyer
High King

Gag-worthy seems a bit excessive...

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Old 02-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #288
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

I have the Donner Cut on Blu Ray. I wouldn't say it's gag worthy. Unfinished and rough yes, but you have to understand they were piecing together rough footage and a lot of the material intended wasn't even shot.

HERESY!
Old 02-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #289
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I would be open to any Brainiac. It's time we saw that character in live-action.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #290
Nightwing1
Side-Kick

Quote:
I have the Donner Cut on Blu Ray. I wouldn't say it's gag worthy. Unfinished and rough yes, but you have to understand they were piecing together rough footage and a lot of the material intended wasn't even shot.
^^^ This. Also watched the Donner Cut on Blu Ray recently and I gotta say I prefer it. Mainly because Superman doesn't tear off a cellophane logo from his chest and throw at his enemies. That part of 2 really just threw me for a loop. Have never understood it and prob never will. Similar to Superman being able to rebuild the great Wall with his eyes in 4. Don't know which of the two was a worse sequence. Either way I still have to be apart of the group that say Donner > Lester.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:51 PM   #291
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 02-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #292
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Yeah, I saw this earlier today actually. Pretty funny...always love the cafe stuff!

Old 02-27-2014, 07:43 PM   #293
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatFan1979 View Post
Yeah, I saw this earlier today actually. Pretty funny...always love the cafe stuff!
The ending really got me. I still think Holmes wasn't as bad as people make her out to be. And Gyllenhaal wasn't as awesome as people make her out to be. But, then I didn't like the character of Rachel anyway.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman

Last edited by Lencho01; 02-27-2014 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Meant Holmes, not Bosworth.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #294
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Hahaha Mrs. Gordon tripping balls and seeing Joffrey when cooking spaghetti.

I love HISHE

HERESY!
Old 02-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #295
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

And by the way. I thought Katie Holmes was a better Rachael than Maggie Gyllenhal.

HERESY!
Old 02-27-2014, 08:05 PM   #296
Loki882
Side-Kick

No, Maggie was much better. I bought her in the role, and as a DA, MUCH more than Holmes. Plus, Maggie's just a better actress overall. As for Kate Bosworth, I've liked her in other things, but she was simply miscast as Lois. Especially a Lois who is supposed to be Margot Kidder's Lois, just five years OLDER.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:07 PM   #297
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

A female Brainiac has the potential to be creepier to the GA because people associate women as being more compassionate and caring. So if they succeed in writing a Brainiac that has no emotions (which is very hard to do) then it will make viewers uncomfortable and leave an emotional impact.

A poorly-written female Brainiac could resemble the Borg queen from Star Trek. An unrequited romance between female brainiac and Kal-El should be avoided.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #298
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
No, Maggie was much better. I bought her in the role, and as a DA, MUCH more than Holmes. Plus, Maggie's just a better actress overall. As for Kate Bosworth, I've liked her in other things, but she was simply miscast as Lois. Especially a Lois who is supposed to be Margot Kidder's Lois, just five years OLDER.
Maggie's a better actress yes. But Katie was a better Rachel and love interest for Bruce.

HERESY!
Old 02-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #299
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
A female Brainiac has the potential to be creepier to the GA because people associate women as being more compassionate and caring. So if they succeed in writing a Brainiac that has no emotions (which is very hard to do) then it will make viewers uncomfortable and leave an emotional impact.

A poorly-written female Brainiac could resemble the Borg queen from Star Trek. An unrequited romance between female brainiac and Kal-El should be avoided.
There kind of already was a female Braniac.

AND IT WAS AWESOME

HERESY!
Old 02-27-2014, 08:11 PM   #300
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel The Pizza

I really want Ryan Gosling to be the Flash... but part of me wants him to be altogether uninvolved with Marvel or DC for a while so he can take over as Batman once Affleck is finished.

Closed Thread