The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #801
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Petrol View Post
Yeah, I agree amigo. I just hate that chant, as most of the time when it's used it's completely irrelevant to the situation, and most try to paint us as the dirtiest players in the game (no pun intended) when they are no better and more often than not, worse.
Yeah, Vieiria and Pires are long gone, football fans need to stop being like Canadian wrestling fans, stuck in 97 lol.

Quote:
My gut is saying Chelsea, though I think both Liverpool and United are in with a good shout. I just don't think we've got the mettle or the bottle to see it through to the end.
I can't see us really challenging, our CM is too weak, I agree that Chelsea are still the favourites as I think Mourinho has the edge and the deep squad needed, but no one team is looking like dominating to me, all have weaknesses.

Quote:
The problem with Vermaelen is he's to similar to Koscielny and is also prone to making mistakes. The BFG is such an underrated defender. What he lacks in pace, he makes up in his tactical awreness. He's also one of the cleanest tacklers there are around too. When Kos and the Verminator play together, they both like to push forward and attack the danger, which leaves us exposed if the danger breaks through. With Mertesacker there, he covers for one or the other, and due to his intelligence, knows where the danger will come from and/or through and is there waiting to make the interception. Although Ramsey was at fault for the goal, I just don't think that dude who used to play for us would have scored or even had as clean or clear a chance with the one he had.
I get what you mean, individually both Koscielny and Vermaelen have had great games for Arsenal but don't compliment each other, meaning Vermaelen is now better suited as Koscielny's back up these days. I agree with you on Mertersacker, I thought he was too slow, especially for the PL, when Wenger bought him, but his experience and the old "extra yard in his head" aspect make up for it and then some.

Quote:
It just seemed so typical that we also had a flu/bug going through the squad, which was probably a factor in why we seemed so off the pace and out of it, and it also took down the BFG.
Is everyone healthy now are or they missing the International's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit1982 View Post
You're preaching to the choir mate, we're still "Dirty Leeds" despite not being particularly dirty for at least 30 years!
Not to the under 20's mate, you're "Leeds? who's that?" I kid I kid!!! How's this season going so far?

Old 11-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #802
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Podolski is gonna do himself another injury!

Old 11-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #803
kit1982
Side-Kick

Has there ever been a more deflating double substitution than Jordan Henderson AND Tom Cleverly? It's as if Woy's trying to highlight how crap we are!

Old 11-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #804
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Has there ever been a more deflating double substitution than Jordan Henderson AND Tom Cleverly? It's as if Woy's trying to highlight how crap we are!
Heh! Henderson did have one good burst from midfield when he came on I guess. I was also mildly impressed with Lallana, he's classy on the ball and I'd like to see him given an opportunity in a better line-up.

It's interesting to see how Alexis Sanchez has developed as a player. When I first wanted United to buy him 4 years ago he was a flying right winger, now he uses his bursts of pace more sparingly and astutely, and his all round game has really matured, including his finishing.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #805
Harry_Lime02
This is the girl

Part of me wonders if Hodgson is already subtly preparing for a scenario in which Joe Hart doesn't get his place back and he has to replace him. One of our biggest problems in 2010 was Capello clearly had no idea who his best keeper was so this Hart situation is potentially annoying.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #806
kit1982
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
Heh! Henderson did have one good burst from midfield when he came on I guess. I was also mildly impressed with Lallana, he's classy on the ball and I'd like to see him given an opportunity in a better line-up.
Henderson just seems to be a slightly better Robbie Savage, all engine and the rare it of class...although to be that 2 more things than Cleverley (not a fan). I agree with Lallana, classy on the ball but he also put his foot in and worked hard. I actually think Rodriguez did alright considering how little he had to go on, again I thought he did well defensively. I think both deserve another shot. I'm unashamedly an Ashley Cole fan and thought Chile handled Baines really well, take away the delivery and there is a fairly average left back IMO.
I still think we are over reliant on Steven Gerrard which given his age is worrying.

On Leeds mate it's very odd again in the Championship, 3 weeks ago we were near the bottom of the form guide and now we're 2nd in it. McCormack got 4 last week and we need more of the same from him as the other players are fairly workmen like. Also a question of how much money we have in January but on the whole I do believe McDermott is the right man and will take us up at some point.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #807
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Henderson just seems to be a slightly better Robbie Savage, all engine and the rare it of class...although to be that 2 more things than Cleverley (not a fan). I agree with Lallana, classy on the ball but he also put his foot in and worked hard. I actually think Rodriguez did alright considering how little he had to go on, again I thought he did well defensively. I think both deserve another shot. I'm unashamedly an Ashley Cole fan and thought Chile handled Baines really well, take away the delivery and there is a fairly average left back IMO.
I still think we are over reliant on Steven Gerrard which given his age is worrying.
Cleverley and Henderson fall into the same bracket as Barry and Milner for me, decent squad players at club level, but shouldn't be starting for clubs with trophy ambitions and aren't Internationals. Against Germany I'd like to see Lallana and Townsend start as they offer something different on each side, but I wouldn't object to Rodriguez playing again, these players need more than one game if they are gonna become Internationals. That's the thing with Baines, he's great offensively but there are question marks defensively. Yeah without Gerrard we looked a little square in CM, Wilshire tried to bring the ball out but he had no one giving him and option as Milner and Lamps were both static.

Quote:
On Leeds mate it's very odd again in the Championship, 3 weeks ago we were near the bottom of the form guide and now we're 2nd in it. McCormack got 4 last week and we need more of the same from him as the other players are fairly workmen like. Also a question of how much money we have in January but on the whole I do believe McDermott is the right man and will take us up at some point.
My previous joke aside I really hope you get back up, it'll add to the PL big games IMO. If McCormack can become a regular scorer that will be the difference in my view, as if you look at teams that have gone up recently it's been more about the attack than the defense in the championship. What additions do you feel you'd need in January to get up this season?

Old 11-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #808
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, Vieiria and Pires are long gone, football fans need to stop being like Canadian wrestling fans, stuck in 97 lol.
Agreed, lol.

Quote:
I can't see us really challenging, our CM is too weak, I agree that Chelsea are still the favourites as I think Mourinho has the edge and the deep squad needed, but no one team is looking like dominating to me, all have weaknesses.
I do agree, though I think experience could be what holds the trump card in this title race.

Quote:
I get what you mean, individually both Koscielny and Vermaelen have had great games for Arsenal but don't compliment each other, meaning Vermaelen is now better suited as Koscielny's back up these days. I agree with you on Mertersacker, I thought he was too slow, especially for the PL, when Wenger bought him, but his experience and the old "extra yard in his head" aspect make up for it and then some.
Agreed on all counts.

Quote:
Is everyone healthy now are or they missing the International's?
I think they're all with their respective International sides now, but I think Wenger is hoping they don't play Ozil, as he seems exhausted and the matches aren't really important now.

Quote:
Podolski is gonna do himself another injury!

LuLu seems like such a likable guy. He was sitting in the stands with the away fans at Dortmund last week.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #809
kit1982
Side-Kick

Quote:
Cleverley and Henderson fall into the same bracket as Barry and Milner for me, decent squad players at club level, but shouldn't be starting for clubs with trophy ambitions and aren't Internationals. Against Germany I'd like to see Lallana and Townsend start as they offer something different on each side, but I wouldn't object to Rodriguez playing again, these players need more than one game if they are gonna become Internationals. That's the thing with Baines, he's great offensively but there are question marks defensively. Yeah without Gerrard we looked a little square in CM, Wilshire tried to bring the ball out but he had no one giving him and option as Milner and Lamps were both static.
Yep with you there mate, I've always hated how certain players got 45 minutes to prove themselves internationally, you wouldn't sign a player then dump him straight away if he had an average debut. On the same point I don't for a minute understand why Joe Hart is starting against Germany on Tuesday, we all know what he can do, we're meant to judge Fraser Forsters one game or John Ruddy's half a game against Hart's 37??

On Lallana and Townsend, they just look typical Manchester United players to me mate. Obviously there's a massive difference in Quality between the two but Townsend has that raw pace and power out wide I associate with you lot. Just a shame you've got Fellaini and Young instead!

Quote:
My previous joke aside I really hope you get back up, it'll add to the PL big games IMO. If McCormack can become a regular scorer that will be the difference in my view, as if you look at teams that have gone up recently it's been more about the attack than the defense in the championship. What additions do you feel you'd need in January to get up this season?
We desperately need Wingers, we don't have any at the club and the likes of Zaha, Ince, Kebe and Brady in recent years have shown how important they are in this league. Poor old 31 year old Stephen Warnocks expected to graft up and down the pitch as a wing back for 46+ games a year, which is fine if you're Patrice Evra but sadly there aren't a lot of them in this league! We've got 6 foot 6 Matt Smith upfront as well as Dexter Blackstock who is good in the air and as much as I don't want hoofball back, it seems silly not to make the most of them and at least be direct as a plan B.

It'd be great to just have big games under the floodlights again at Elland Road, it's got that same feel as Goodison and White Hart Lane when it's rocking. I'll always remember when you lot played Galatasary and a journo was asking Fergie about the atmosphere in the stadium overawing them, to which Fergie replied "You think it's bad here, you should try going to Leeds".

God I miss Fergie

Old 11-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #810
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

I watch Henderson [live] near enough every week; to liken him to Barry and Milner [and even Robbie Bloody Savage] is unfair imo.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #811
kit1982
Side-Kick

I ask this in all seriousness but besides having a great engine what else does he have? I've got some Red mates who'll tell me he's the next Steven Gerrard, but I see someone with a younger Gerrards work rate, but none of his on the ball ability. I see an odd bit of quality from him when Liverpool are turning sides over, but nowt when it comes to the crunch.

I'll give you the Savage comparison's abit unfair and it was tongue in cheek, but in fairness what does he have that elevates him above Barry and Milner?

Old 11-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #812
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

He has better hair.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 11-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #813
Iceman
Infinity War!

No real football while I was away. Just another bloody international friendly. And we lose 2-0 at home. Haha, glad I missed that.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #814
B
[insert witty comment]

They need to scrap all international games in between each continents domestic season.. in particular friendlies. It completely disrupts the seasons for clubs with meaningless & pointless games such as England vs Chile, Ireland vs Latvia, Turkey vs Northern Ireland or Scotland vs U.S.A.. all of those games were completely & utterly meaningless & a waste of a week of the year.

Instead of disrupting the seasons for 4-5 weeks a season, why not just scrap the mid-season international games, finish the season those 4-5 weeks early & then have a sustained run of games at the end of the domestic season to complete things like qualifiers & any friendlies they can fit in.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #815
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Yep with you there mate, I've always hated how certain players got 45 minutes to prove themselves internationally, you wouldn't sign a player then dump him straight away if he had an average debut. On the same point I don't for a minute understand why Joe Hart is starting against Germany on Tuesday, we all know what he can do, we're meant to judge Fraser Forsters one game or John Ruddy's half a game against Hart's 37??
Exactly, it takes time for most players to get acclimated to playing for England but if you don't play for a supposed big club then you have to make an immediate impact, which is stupid. Fully agree on the keeper situation, Hart can't be fully trusted and Forster played well enough on Friday to warrant another full 90 minutes against Germany IMO, it's the only way to generate genuine competition for places and test these alternatives out..

Quote:
On Lallana and Townsend, they just look typical Manchester United players to me mate. Obviously there's a massive difference in Quality between the two but Townsend has that raw pace and power out wide I associate with you lot. Just a shame you've got Fellaini and Young instead!
They are both the type of signing within the PL I'd like too see us make as opposed to overpriced players who've had a few solid seasons but shown no growth well into their 20's.

Quote:
We desperately need Wingers, we don't have any at the club and the likes of Zaha, Ince, Kebe and Brady in recent years have shown how important they are in this league. Poor old 31 year old Stephen Warnocks expected to graft up and down the pitch as a wing back for 46+ games a year, which is fine if you're Patrice Evra but sadly there aren't a lot of them in this league! We've got 6 foot 6 Matt Smith upfront as well as Dexter Blackstock who is good in the air and as much as I don't want hoofball back, it seems silly not to make the most of them and at least be direct as a plan B.
Any chance of getting some wing options on loan? Zaha, Sterling, Gnarby and Chadli seem like they wont see a lot of game time at their clubs this season and could be good options.

Quote:
It'd be great to just have big games under the floodlights again at Elland Road, it's got that same feel as Goodison and White Hart Lane when it's rocking. I'll always remember when you lot played Galatasary and a journo was asking Fergie about the atmosphere in the stadium overawing them, to which Fergie replied "You think it's bad here, you should try going to Leeds".

God I miss Fergie
Me too mate! No doubt about it, I remember recent League Cup night games at Elland Road for us and Liverpool against you guys and the crowd was electric on both occasions. I also remember how pissed Fergie was when you knocked us out the FA Cup a few years back as he felt our players didn't respect and understand what a big game Man Utd vs Leeds is.

Quote:
I do agree, though I think experience could be what holds the trump card in this title race.
This is why I think it could well come down to Wenger vs Mourinho, the two guys that know about winning league titles.

Quote:
I think they're all with their respective International sides now, but I think Wenger is hoping they don't play Ozil, as he seems exhausted and the matches aren't really important now.
Did Ozil play on Friday? I could see Germany playing him against England tomorrow night as they'll probably go all out, but in truth they have so many options they really should be able to placate Wenger's wishes.

Quote:
LuLu seems like such a likable guy. He was sitting in the stands with the away fans at Dortmund last week.
Always good to see a non homegrown player full embrace the club, when is he due back?

Old 11-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #816
kit1982
Side-Kick

Dunno if any of you boys are watching Sweden vs Portugal but bloody hell, I adore the way a football match can change in a minute and this game is the perfect illustration of that. Portugal dominate, Ronaldo puts them 2-0 up then out of nowhere Ibra gets a scrappy goal, games gets turned on it's head. Ibra gets another from a free kick and all of a sudden a side that had 1 shot in 135 minutes are battering the Portugese looking for a winner!

Old 11-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #817
kit1982
Side-Kick

Just as I write that Ronaldo gets his 3rd of the tie, what a player!

Edit: now has his 4th of the tie, incredible!

Old 11-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #818
Kaleb
Devil of Hells Kitchen

wow south africa beat spain.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #819
kit1982
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb View Post
wow south africa beat spain.
Lucas radebe approves this message

Old 11-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #820
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Quote:
This is why I think it could well come down to Wenger vs Mourinho, the two guys that know about winning league titles.
I have to disagree on our behalf, as if this were the case then that experience should have paid dividends sometime over the last decade, yet we're still sitting here with a bare trophy cabinet and only cobwebs. As for United, I reckon the player experience, especailly from the older ones will come in handy and could prove fruitful.

Quote:
Did Ozil play on Friday? I could see Germany playing him against England tomorrow night as they'll probably go all out, but in truth they have so many options they really should be able to placate Wenger's wishes.
I have no idea, I completely switch off during the international break, lol. I did read though that Loew would rest him against England. Yeah, the amount of talent at their disposal is pretty ridiculous.

Quote:
Always good to see a non homegrown player full embrace the club, when is he due back?
I agree. Should be preety soon, I think, but I'm not certain.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #821
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Just as I write that Ronaldo gets his 3rd of the tie, what a player!

Edit: now has his 4th of the tie, incredible!
Wish I'd seen this game. The 1st leg was dubbed Ronaldo Vs Ibra but it looks like the 2nd leg really was that.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #822
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

No Zlatan at the WC then..

Old 11-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #823
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

I honestly thought England played farily well tonight but we lacked a cutting edge. I thought we looked fine in midfield despite Germany packing it, until Gerrard went off and we lost that vital leadership. Lallana impressed me again and I think him and Townsend have done enough to keep their names in the mix unless their club form nosedives.

Kit was the first to call it but I'm starting to agree with him on Walker, he is too wasteful and naive at this level. I also thought Sturridge was unusually anxious when the ball came into him tonight and Hart's decision making remains a concern.

Glad to see Portugal qualify, another hat-trick from Ronaldo!!! He is an immense player and I don't care what anyone thinks, he'd be the first name on my team sheet if I was putting together my ultimate 11 of the last 20 years.

Quote:
I have to disagree on our behalf, as if this were the case then that experience should have paid dividends sometime over the last decade, yet we're still sitting here with a bare trophy cabinet and only cobwebs. As for United, I reckon the player experience, especailly from the older ones will come in handy and could prove fruitful.
Ah but over that period Fergie was around and then Ancelotti and Mancini, big experience there as well. This seaosn Wenger and Mourinho are the only two with the experience factor of winning leagues (I know AVB won the Portuguese league but it's second tier). I agree that the experience in our team will be vital for us in maintaining a top 4 spot but I don't see it being enough to win the actual title with Moyes at the helm and such a weak central midfield.

Quote:
I have no idea, I completely switch off during the international break, lol. I did read though that Loew would rest him against England. Yeah, the amount of talent at their disposal is pretty ridiculous.
Well Ozil was rested tonight along with a lot of Germany's usual starters and they still were solid, like you say the depth of their talent pool is crazy!

Quote:
I agree. Should be preety soon, I think, but I'm not certain.
Getting him back for the glut of games over Christmas will be a huge boost.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #824
killface
Side-Kick

Quote:
No Zlatan at the WC then..
which is a damn shame.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #825
Iceman
Infinity War!

How old is Zlatan? Was this his last chance?

Closed Thread