The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 09-20-2017, 04:20 PM   #126
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Default Re: HBO Eyeing ‘Watchmen’ TV Series from Zack Snyder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
You honestly don't think this all applies to today's landscape to an even greater extent? That extent strengthens the stuff from the comic. The Doomsday clock should be closer to midnight than ever in 2017 Watchmen.
I don't think Batman v Superman was anything more than stockpiling all the perceived evils of today's landscape and exaggerating them for the sake of that fictional story. If Lindeloff wants to make parallels to now, that's his prerogative.

Whedon-----Guggenheim_____Kinberg
Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #127
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Watchmen’ HBO Adaptation From Damon Lindelof Officially A Go With Pilot & Backup Script Order http://deadline.com/2017/09/watchmen-hbo-pilot-order-damon-lindelof-backup-scripts-1202174167/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter …

Quote:
HBO has given a formal pilot green light to Watchmen and has ordered backup scripts for the project, Damon Lindelof’s followup to his praised HBO drama series The Leftovers.

Fallen Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:15 PM   #128
Kaleb
Devil of Hells Kitchen

I cant help but think that this is happening now,due to Westworld being shut out at the Emmys on Sunday.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:29 AM   #129
Closerframe
Side-Kick

On one hand, Damon is responsible for writing Lost, Prometheus, Cowboys & Aliens, and Star Trek Into Darkness while on the other hand it'll be on HBO meaning it could be the next big thing if they get someone else to help co-write and an awesome director or set of directors. If they keep this as a mini-series similar to The Night Of then I'll be happy, but don't take it past two seasons (6 episodes each). And I know it won't happen, but I'd love to see Cary Fukunaga direct this.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #130
Chip Chipperson
Thanos 3:16

you know, I would trust damon to do an entire season with just the minutemen in their prime. then delve into the actual watchmen story in season 2.

that would be cool.

Chip Chipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:27 PM   #131
Doctor Jones
No One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
The difference between today and now. The US was in relative peace with its enemies. The need for Superheroes in Watchmen was in question, and in today's world that wouldn't be the case.
So that can be the debate and create more conflict. This just makes things better. And if that includes diverging at times, by all means do it. You'd be surprised the stuff that can be born out of this if they go for it.

The second Minutemen can start up after 9/11 and they themselves question just how relevant people in colorful costumes should be after the heroism displayed by regular people.

Maybe Bush is the one elected three times after his success with Dr. Manhatten in Afghanistan and he introduces the Keane Act where the world is finally at peace by 2008, the supposed year of Obama's election that never exists, and superheroes aren't seen as needed anymore.

I'm just spitting out ideas. I know you could say, "The Vietnam/Afghanistan stuff doesn't match." but that's not the point I'm trying to make. The details aren't as important. My point is, the themes and intent of Watchmen don't change with the change with the time period.

With regards to the pilot pick up, I'm glad they're committing to the filming of the pilot and it's not going straight to series. It probably will, but this will get expensive and they will see if it's worth it.

Doctor Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:11 PM   #132
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb View Post
I cant help but think that this is happening now,due to Westworld being shut out at the Emmys on Sunday.
It took a few seasons before GoT received Emmy love.

I remember people talking about the critic bias against fantasy.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:20 PM   #133
Guts
My love for you

Quote:
So that can be the debate and create more conflict. This just makes things better. And if that includes diverging at times, by all means do it. You'd be surprised the stuff that can be born out of this if they go for it.

The second Minutemen can start up after 9/11 and they themselves question just how relevant people in colorful costumes should be after the heroism displayed by regular people.

Maybe Bush is the one elected three times after his success with Dr. Manhatten in Afghanistan and he introduces the Keane Act where the world is finally at peace by 2008, the supposed year of Obama's election that never exists, and superheroes aren't seen as needed anymore.

I'm just spitting out ideas. I know you could say, "The Vietnam/Afghanistan stuff doesn't match." but that's not the point I'm trying to make. The details aren't as important. My point is, the themes and intent of Watchmen don't change with the change with the time period.

With regards to the pilot pick up, I'm glad they're committing to the filming of the pilot and it's not going straight to series. It probably will, but this will get expensive and they will see if it's worth it.
Mainly because the Dark Knight never gets made.

Guts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:10 AM   #134
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion

Very interested in this, loved the movie but would love the show to go deeper into things from the book.

1)War For The Planet Of The Apes-10(2)Logan-9.5(3)Baby Driver-9.5(4)Dunkirk-9(5)Thor: Ragnorak-9(6)Wonder Woman-9(7)Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2-9(8)Blade Runner 2049-8.5(9)It-8(10)Spider-Man: Homecoming-8(11)John Wick 2-8(12)Split-8(13)Kingsman: The Golden Circle-8(14)Kong: Skull Island-7.5(15)Justice League-7(16)Alien Covenant-7(17)Ghost In The Shell-7(18)POTC: Salazar's Revenge-7(19)The Dark Tower-4(20)Transformers: The Last Knight-4
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #135
Slick
Yup

As a fan of the Leftovers and Lost I'm hoping for the best. Alan Moore is turning in his casket. Yes I understand that Alan Moore is not dead. I just assumed he sleeps in a casket (Failing miserably to be funny).

Old 09-26-2017, 03:36 PM   #136
Doctor Jones
No One

Well, I bet H.G. Wells and Robert Louis Stevenson are turning in their graves after what Moore made The Invisible Man and Mr. Hyde do.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:29 PM   #137
Man in the Suit
Greeting

Lila Byock, writer of The Leftovers - "It's a Matt, Matt, Matt, Matt World", is working on this.

Man in the Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:46 PM   #138
Smilodon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Suit View Post
Lila Byock, writer of The Leftovers - "It's a Matt, Matt, Matt, Matt World", is working on this.
Great to hear. I can see that kinda topsy turvy absurdity fitting right in with a Watchmen story. I hope he assembles a great writer's room, just like he did for the Leftovers. And Mimi Leder.

Smilodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:27 PM   #139
Boom
I got nothin'

So is this an adaptation of the graphic novel or is it a prequel series?

Old 10-24-2017, 08:31 PM   #140
terry78
Will you shut up?!

I'm thinking they may do a hybrid.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:56 AM   #141
Doctor Jones
No One

Just do a mini series. I don't want this drawn out. I don't give a flying **** how they came to be. That prequel comic series was just a waste with some cool stuff here and there but ultimately forgettable. It's not worth integrating into the original story. They're fine as is. There are more clever ways in making it seem fresh.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:15 AM   #142
Sawyer
High King

No one wants to see the Sin City, panel-for-panel/shot-for-shot version of Watchmen, even more so than the movie could be seen as that sort of thing, so I just hope Lindelof has been given room to play here. Flashbacks, detours, what have you.

But nonetheless, I can't imagine this would be anything more than a one-off.

@HIGHzurrer

If your first TV love was Buffy, this season of The Magicians is the adult who looks like that first crush but is into your kink.
*sees someone trolling DCEU fans* *prepares to say something* *sees Snyder stans somehow being even more obnoxious than the trolls* *sighs*

*rinse and repeat*
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #143
Milk Tray Guy
Man of Action

Quote:
Well, I bet H.G. Wells and Robert Louis Stevenson are turning in their graves after what Moore made The Invisible Man and Mr. Hyde do.
That was pretty

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:50 PM   #144
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
I'm thinking they may do a hybrid.
Godfather Two Style...nice

Honestly..another Watchmen adaptation is worth it for a different Silk Spectre II actress and for less superheroey fight scenes.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:29 AM   #145
Guts
My love for you

Quote:

Guts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:35 PM   #146
Man in the Suit
Greeting

Default Re: HBO Eyeing ‘Watchmen’ TV Series from Damon Lindelof

Damon Lindelof On Making Watchmen
Quote:
During a discussion with The Good Place creator Mike Schur at Vulture Fest LA on Saturday, Lindelof didn’t reveal his specific take on DC Comics’ dark, deeply influential series by writer Alan Moore and artist Dave Gibbons. But he did offer his motivations for tackling the material, which was among the first to portray, in starkly adult, social, sexual and political terms, the serious and potentially catastrophic potential of superheroes existing in the real world.

“Watchmen – it was dangerous,” said Lindelof. “And you can’t be dangerous for dangerous’ sake, but the reason that I’m doing this is these are dangerous times, and we need dangerous shows.”

In the same way the source material completely upended all notions of how superheroes, social commentary, and literary artistry could fit together, Lindelof believes the current culture – more superhero saturated than ever before, and fraught with real-world perils – is primed for a television take.

“What we think about superheroes is wrong,” he said. “I love the Marvel movies and we saw Justice League this morning and I’m all for Wonder Woman and Batman and I grew up on these characters, but we should not trust people who put on masks and say that they are looking out for us. If you hide your face, you are up to no good.”

Old 11-22-2017, 01:28 PM   #147
Smilodon
Side-Kick

I love what Lindelof is saying and I agree - the culture and zeitgeist are ripe for Watchmen.

Smilodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:58 PM   #148
Slick
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
Godfather Two Style...nice

Honestly..another Watchmen adaptation is worth it for a different Silk Spectre II actress and for less superheroey fight scenes.
Yeah I’m hoping the fights are more like daredevil.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:31 PM   #149
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I'm still a fan of the opening fight scene, aside from the window toss (it had to be done) nothing was too comic-booky. Was pretty gritty actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i7l6Mh6giE

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:06 PM   #150
Man in the Suit
Greeting

Two more writers confirmed: Jeff Jensen (Tomorrowland) and Cord Jefferson (The Good Place)