The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 11-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #126
Brother Jack
Believer

Default Re: Stranger Things (Netflix) - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Ooh... Just had this pointed out to me... The name the Duffers chose to give to Eleven? Jane?

It's an anagram of Jean. So... There's your further X-Men reference.
They've been referencing X-Men since the very first episode. I would not be surprised if they ended up doing some kind of Dark Phoenix thing with Eleven.

round to the same place again.

Brother Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:14 PM   #127
Legendver2
Third Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Jack View Post
They've been referencing X-Men since the very first episode. I would not be surprised if they ended up doing some kind of Dark Phoenix thing with Eleven.
I would absolutely hate that. Poor girl's been through enough. Let her gt a break and spend time with Mike

Darkness. The truest darkness is not the absence of light. It is the conviction that the light will never return. But the light always returns to show us things familiar...This time, the light shown on the heroes coming out of the shadows to tell us we won't be alone again. Our darkness was deep and soon to swallow all hope. But these heroes were here the whole time to remind us that hope is real. That you can see it. All you have to do is look. Up in the sky.

~Lois Lane
Justice League
Legendver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #128
SomeOldGuy
Side-Kick

Quote:
The episode expanded the mythology of the show beyond simply the fight against the Upside Down, gave texture and back story to the experiments at Hawkins that led to 11, teased stories for future seasons, gave 11 a taste of what her life could have been away from the good influences of the boys, Hopper and Joyce, and yeah... If you were a fan of X-Men comics, this obviously took influence from that period of the Mutants when Claremont was at the height of his powers. I mean... I thought the nostalgic references were part of the show's appeal?
I binged the whole season right after it came out (and loved it). During that, I was initially turned off by episode 7, but found myself enjoying it by the end. Over the next week and weekend I re-watched the whole series with my wife, who'd never seen season 1 or 2 (and she loved it as well). During my re-watch I found myself really getting into episode 7 more than I had the first time, to the point where I'd actually call it one of the better episodes. On the flip side, I found that the first three or so episodes were pretty...slow on second viewing. Once you get past the thrill of seeing the gang back together, which I did in my initial binge, there wasn't a lot to hold my attention.

It seems many people don't want it, but I endorse the idea of the series widening its scope and reaching beyond Hawkins. As for nostalgia, well, as someone who grew up in the Midwest and whose kindergarten to senior year of high school years were roughly 71-84, when it comes to Stranger Things I have literally been there and literally done that (sans other dimensional monsters, of course). And it's fun to look back and indulge...but it's like candy, y'know? A little bit goes a long way. I'm fine with heading down the road a bit.

SomeOldGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:28 PM   #129
Brother Jack
Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendver2 View Post
I would absolutely hate that. Poor girl's been through enough. Let her gt a break and spend time with Mike
I don't think it would be next season. They would probably save that for the proposed end of the series if they did it at all. But there's writing on the wall.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:00 AM   #130
fatzke
Side-Kick

Quote:
…to highlight the differences with the Hawkins crew and how 11 was lucky to fall in with the people she did.
Good point.

fatzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #131
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Watched some more episodes. Poor Mews didn't make it.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:55 PM   #132
Romannen
Side-Kick

I wonder how big Stranger Things will ultimately become. Many have speculated that it will overtake Game of Thrones as the most popular show in the world.

Romannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:20 PM   #133
SkullDevil
The White Portuguese

It's already pretty big as it is, though.

You have won many victories, rekindling hope in the hearts of those you have protected. Each sends their blessing. Each blessing, a stone to fortify this land. Your castle is strong, my son. Your allies are many. Wield what lies within, and reclaim what is yours. Break the siege of darkness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra-El View Post
DC Fans: "We need warriors.."

*SkullDevil raises his hand and fights for truth, justice and the PM way.*
SkullDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #134
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

Finally finished season 2. Really liked it. #relationshipgoals at the end.

Aziz
Greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:37 PM   #135
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Why does Sean Austin have to die early in pretty much anything I see him in?

Old 11-19-2017, 11:33 PM   #136
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
I only get the complaints looking at it as something that took the audience away from the story in Hawkins. I get wanting to get to the end. I get being annoyed by the seeming disruption of the flow of the story. But it didn't bother me at all. For one there's A LOT of stories told with that kind of flow. Secondly it built up anticipation of the last two chapters. As for the complaint about content... They baffle me as well. I don't think the actors themselves were at all bad by any reasonable standard. If they weren't the cute and cuddly, likable cast we've grown to love back in Hawkins... THAT WAS THE POINT. You weren't supposed to like this group. And if the general vibe of the urban scene seemed to clash with the rural/suburban tone of sweet nostalgia built up over all the previous episodes going back to season one? Once again, that was the point. Hawkins and boys are but a slice of America in 1983/1984. For many the world shown in the scenes with 8 were a hell of a lot closer to what that period felt like. We tend to view the 1980's through the haze of the "optimistic" Reagan presidency but what we really mean is Reagan's SECOND term. From 80-late 84 there was still a sort of 70's hangover happening for much of the country. Let's put it this way... Punk gives way to New Wave for a reason.

Now when it comes to the content of the episode... I STILL DON'T GET THE HUBUB.

The episode expanded the mythology of the show beyond simply the fight against the Upside Down, gave texture and back story to the experiments at Hawkins that led to 11, teased stories for future seasons, gave 11 a taste of what her life could have been away from the good influences of the boys, Hopper and Joyce, and yeah... If you were a fan of X-Men comics, this obviously took influence from that period of the Mutants when Claremont was at the height of his powers. I mean... I thought the nostalgic references were part of the show's appeal?

And more than the "vibe" 11's bittersweet discovery of more young people like her indeed showed the line between her journey of self discovery and 8's need to lash out at the world for wronging her regardless of consequences, moral or practical. This was classic Xavier/Magneto stuff. The clash between someone that wants to be integrated into the world and someone that believes in "by any means necessary".

I am not asking anyone to love the episode, but as with a lot of online "debate" there seems to be no real nuance in criticizing this particular little side story that I dare say will be very consequential going forward, not to mention another showing of internet group think in condemning the target du jour.
Wow, I watched that whole episode and never thought of the X-men once, but looking at these pictures, now I get it. Sadly, I do have to agree that other than exploring the idea of different kids with different powers, it did seem sort of a waste. Though I guess it could be seen more as a Star Wars "this is what the dark side of powers look like."

Old 11-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #137
Blackman
C'mon Son

Protect them...

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:28 PM   #138
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #139
SkullDevil
The White Portuguese

Gaten and Joe's bromance is the best thing that's sprung from season 2.

You have won many victories, rekindling hope in the hearts of those you have protected. Each sends their blessing. Each blessing, a stone to fortify this land. Your castle is strong, my son. Your allies are many. Wield what lies within, and reclaim what is yours. Break the siege of darkness.
Quote:

Old 11-25-2017, 02:50 PM   #140
terry78
Will you shut up?!

That Sesame Street thing killed me.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:27 AM   #141
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.

http://www.tobecontinuedafanboypodcast.com/ AQUAMAN/CYBORG HISTORY DISCUSSION.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:28 AM   #142
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Hee hee, if only.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:14 PM   #143
Kane52630
Joker Got Away

Old 12-03-2017, 02:36 PM   #144
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

I watched this on my own, and loved season 2.

I just found out that large swaths of the internet think that season 2 was ****, and in particular that the Chicago episodes were awful.

I'm glad that I was able to watch it on my own, unencumbered by the ravings of haters.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #145
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

I'm not sure I know anybody who hated it.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:32 PM   #146
SkullDevil
The White Portuguese

I'm still astonished by the level of hate that episode gets. I mean, it's not my favorite episode of the season but holy crap, it was not an abhorrent piece of s***.

Quote:

Old 12-03-2017, 11:02 PM   #147
Legendver2
Third Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullDevil View Post
I'm still astonished by the level of hate that episode gets. I mean, it's not my favorite episode of the season but holy crap, it was not an abhorrent piece of s***.
There's really not much out there that warrants the sort of hate some things get. It's just fueled by hyperbolic extremism egged on by everyone's bandwagon and sheep mentality lately that happens a lot on the internet. Anything that doesn't scratch the edges of good will be torn down, even if it's objectively considered "decent", no one wants to admit it because it's more cool to hate.

Darkness. The truest darkness is not the absence of light. It is the conviction that the light will never return. But the light always returns to show us things familiar...This time, the light shown on the heroes coming out of the shadows to tell us we won't be alone again. Our darkness was deep and soon to swallow all hope. But these heroes were here the whole time to remind us that hope is real. That you can see it. All you have to do is look. Up in the sky.

~Lois Lane
Justice League
Legendver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:22 PM   #148
Brother Jack
Believer

Even if you didn't think it was well executed I would hope you could still appreciate that the Duffers tried to change it up and push themselves. Experimentation is practically necessary to bolster creative stamina, and it pays dividends later on.

Old 12-04-2017, 03:38 AM   #149
fatzke
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendver2 View Post
There's really not much out there that warrants the sort of hate some things get. It's just fueled by hyperbolic extremism egged on by everyone's bandwagon and sheep mentality lately that happens a lot on the internet.

Well put! Episode 7 is fine and i don't get the hate for Punkers too. Those guys were a staple in many many 70s/80s tv shows and movies. i thought of it as a nice tribute. Also, there can't be enough 011.

fatzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:57 AM   #150
Dave McFly
Hot Jedi

there is a fun free retro game that feels to me very Legend of Zelda-ish for mobile devices. I got it on my android phone and it is a fun little game.

PSN ID: davemcfly85
XBOX ID: davemcfly85
Dave McFly is offline   Reply With Quote