The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Black Lightning

Old 02-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #76
famicommander
Side-Kick

Default Re: Black Lightning (Dc comics/Greg Berlanti )

Any attempt to spin SHIELD's ratings decline as anything close to in line with the other comic boom shows is absurd.

SHIELD debuted to a monstrous 4.7 rating, and in its fourth season it is struggling to stay in the 0.6-0.7 range. Flash debuted to a 1.9 and halfway through season 3 it's still hitting 1.1s regularly and it jumped to 1.5 for the crossover.

SHIELD (and Agent Carter) were thoroughly and almost completely rejected by the audience.

famicommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:08 PM   #77
Blitzkrieg
Super Hero Girls

http://heroichollywood.com/black-lig...owns-revealed/

Quote:
With the show reportedly starting production in March, casting is definitely happening and thanks to That Hashtag Show, we now have an idea of what characters are being cast. During their latest episode of their show, the hosts dropped a breakdown of what characters that Black Lightning is currently casting.

“JEFFERSON PIERCE: “Male, African-American, late 30s to 50. Handsome, fit, with an athletic build. Former 3-time gold medal decathlon winner who is now principal of a high school in South Central Los Angeles. A father figure to his student and hero to the local community. JEFFERSON is charming, charismatic, smart, and has both warmth and humor. He is devoted to his two daughters and remains deeply in love with his ex-wife LYNN. He also has a great passion for justice and a quick temper that he has spent years learning how to control. Think Idris Elba. LEAD.

JENNIFER: Female. African-American, LEGAL 18 to play 16. JEFFERSON’s younger daughter. JENNIFER is a scholar athlete; beautiful with a lean, athletic runner’s build. She is the entitled feminist of the Pierce family. Independent and outspoken with a wild streak. SERIES REGUALR, ASP.

ANISSA: Female. African-American, to play 22. JEFFERSON’s elder daughter. Beautiful, quick-witted and intelligent; intense and passionate. ANISSA has a great respect for her father. ANISA balances the demands of medical school with her duties as a part time teacher at JEFFERSON’s school. SERIES REGULAR, ASP.

LYNN: Female, African-American, mid 30s to 50. Exudes confidence and intelligence. Beautiful, but not to be trifled with. Can exhibit both great emotional depth as well as a flirtatious, mischievous side. SERIES REGULAR, ASP.”

Old 02-24-2017, 02:41 PM   #78
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Show has its lead:

http://deadline.com/2017/02/black-li...ot-1201971415/

Quote:
Hart of Dixie alum Cress Williams is back at the CW as the title character in Black Lightning, the network’s DC drama pilot from Greg Berlanti, king of the CW’s DC universe, and the Being Mary Jane duo of Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil.

Williams co-starred on the CW/WBTV small-town drama series Hart of Dixie for its entire four-season run. He also recently recurred on the CBS medical drama Code Black. Williams is repped by APA and manager Sinclair Jones.

NotNickFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:58 PM   #79
LoganGambit87
Side-Kick

wow this is hands down the oldest lead cw has ever gone with i like it

LoganGambit87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #80
cronosred
Side-Kick

Loved him in Hart of Dixie, really looking forward to this.

cronosred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:03 PM   #81
Legendver2
Third Phantom

Is this part of the Arrowverse? Will it get some backdoor pilot like the Flash?

Darkness. The truest darkness is not the absence of light. It is the conviction that the light will never return. But the light always returns to show us things familiar...This time, the light shown on the heroes coming out of the shadows to tell us we won't be alone again. Our darkness was deep and soon to swallow all hope. But these heroes were here the whole time to remind us that hope is real. That you can see it. All you have to do is look. Up in the sky.

~Lois Lane
Justice League
Legendver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:09 PM   #82
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel The Pizza

Black Lightning is an awesome character. Not sure about this premise though.

Honestly if we're gonna do a show about an African American dude with lightning powers, they should've just done Static. Still looking forward to this though

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:14 PM   #83
THUNDERSTRIKE
WONDERFUL! DELIGHTFUL!

absolutely LOVING the Cress Williams casting... it's about TIME the CW went with an older actor for one of their superhero leads...

THUNDERSTRIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:19 PM   #84
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I like this casting.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:21 PM   #85
2kt09
Here 'N' There

As old as he is, that might actually pave the way for his dynamic with his daughters as opposed to possibly being a Shaft-lite series CW edition.

Whedon-----Guggenheim_____Kinberg
Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:27 PM   #86
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganGambit87 View Post
wow this is hands down the oldest lead cw has ever gone with i like it
In this iteration, Jefferson Pierce has to be old enough to have an adult daughter (+ a teenaged daughter). Whether this is “comic book accurate,” I can’t say.

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:04 PM   #87
MbJ
Side-Kick

It is. His oldest daughter was graduating from college when she first appeared.

MbJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:53 PM   #88
famicommander
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendver2 View Post
Is this part of the Arrowverse? Will it get some backdoor pilot like the Flash?
No backdoor pilot.

When the show was still associated with Fox they said that it wouldn't be part of the Arrowverse.

But now that it's on the CW, it's hard to imagine it won't be Arrowverse in some way. It may not be on Earth-1 but it could be on Earth-38 (Supergirl's Earth) or its own new place in the mulitiverse.

If the show goes to series I think it's safe to say it'll be connected in some way. It wouldn't make sense to keep it separate considering it shares a network, producer, and comic book history with 4 current Arrowverse CW shows and 3 CW Seed animated shows.

We'll just have to wait and see if they order it to series.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #89
Teelie
Merc with a paintbrush

Yeah, from what I have read this is an older, semi-retired Black Lightning who comes back to the job out of necessity. I don't know anything about the character beyond what reports have been saying.

Teelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:20 PM   #90
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

I don't know anything about Black Lightning or about the actor. It seems they only picked him because his initials are CW so he'll fit right in on that channel.

Hope it will cross over with the other CW shows.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:11 PM   #91
Incrediblejeff
Still Incredible

Cool,They cast Scooter as Black Lightning.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:21 PM   #92
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

It will likely not crossover with the other four shows.

vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:04 AM   #93
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNickFury View Post
Oh it's the heart of dixie actor. I guess they are making up for his show being cancelled he wasn't in shape for this show back then. but I guess he'll be working out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I don't know anything about Black Lightning or about the actor. It seems they only picked him because his initials are CW so he'll fit right in on that channel.

Hope it will cross over with the other CW shows.

all you need to know is that he was the some time leader of the outsiders when batman who created them was away and his version of the out siders usually had katana who shows up in arrow in and meta morpho hinted at in arrow . this is before both Arsenal and (dragged in by arsenal)<<Night wing took over as partner leaders of the outsider after they lefte the adult titans .

and that when black lighting was apart of it he was younger then both batman and green arrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teelie View Post
Yeah, from what I have read this is an older, semi-retired Black Lightning who comes back to the job out of necessity. I don't know anything about the character beyond what reports have been saying.
excpet he wouldn't have been a hero for some time. this will be like him becoming a hero in his old age with out being hero prior. I agree with
famicommander on this there will be alot of twicks when it finally airs on the cw. how ever we'll have to see what they go with. Most of the fan base seem weirded out about super girl having any other heroes on earth 38 where she's at.

the best chose in my view would be to have it be a part of the flarrow verse and have him at a teachers seminar in central city when the particle accelerator happened and both him and his daughters were caught in it and he went back to his home town neighboring central city and discovered his and teen girls have powers

which would be an easy thing to do
it's already happen alot of people left central city with their meta powers. so it's doable

him being in another earth will just complicate things. it's just best off being a thing for super girl's show alone

Last edited by zenith16; 02-25-2017 at 01:11 AM.
zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:17 AM   #94
signalman
Side-Kick

Black Lightning Created in 1977 by Tony Isabella and Trevor Von Eeden.

signalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:42 AM   #95
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalman View Post
Black Lightning Created in 1977 by Tony Isabella and Trevor Von Eeden.
yep the year before my birth. go figure . he some character I should look up to as well seeing his black characters and none sterotypical black male too.

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:33 AM   #96
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
Black Lightning is an awesome character. Not sure about this premise though.

Honestly if we're gonna do a show about an African American dude with lightning powers, they should've just done Static. Still looking forward to this though
Well Milestone owns Static (dc just licenses the Milestone characters), so that isn't necessarily a possibility. There was a Static web series in development a couple years ago...don't know the status of that.

https://www.facebook.com/MythworldeMedia/
RockSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:29 AM   #97
famicommander
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantheman77 View Post
It will likely not crossover with the other four shows.
If it gets a series order there's no reason not to.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:23 PM   #98
OnTheAir
Papa Spank
SHH! Global Moderator

‘Black Lightning’: Nafessa Williams & China Anne McClain To Star As Jefferson’s Daughters In the CW Pilot

Nafessa Williams (Code Black) and China Anne McClain (House of Payne) have landed leads opposite Cress Williams in Black Lightning, the CW’s DC drama pilot from Greg Berlanti, king of the CW’s DC universe, and the Being Mary Jane duo of Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil.

Written by Akil and Brock Akil, based on the DC character created by Tony Isabella with Trevor Von Eeden, and to be directed by Akil, Black Lightning centers on Jefferson Pierce (Williams). He made his choice: He hung up the suit and his secret identity years ago, but with a daughter, Jennifer (McCain) hellbent on justice and a star student being recruited by a local gang, he’ll be pulled back into the fight as the wanted vigilante and DC legend Black Lightning.

McCain plays Jefferson’s younger daughter, the teenage Jennifer Pierce, an independent, outspoken scholar-athlete with a wild streak of her own. Williams is Anissa Pierce — passionate and quick-witted, Jefferson’s twenty-something daughter balances the demands of medical school with her job teaching part-time at her father’s school.

In the DC comics, Anissa and Jennifer follow in their father’s footsteps and become superheroes, taking on the names of Thunder and Lightning, respectively.

Akil and Brock Akil executive produce with Berlanti Prods.’ Berlanti and Sarah Schechter for Berlanti Productions and Akil Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television.

McClain is best known as music prodigy Chyna Parks in Disney Channel’s series A.N.T. Farm and as the feisty Jazmine Payne in the Tyler Perry sitcom House of Payne. She recently wrapped the Lionsgate/WWE Studios film Brother’s Blood opposite Trey Songz, and stars in Disney Channel’s upcoming Descendants 2. She is repped by ICM Partners and Morris Yorn.

Williams, who had a major recurring role on CBS’ medical drama Code Black this season, will next be seen in Showtime’s Twin Peaks reboot. She is repped by Link Entertainment and Concept Talent Group.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/black-li...ot-1202034638/

Old 03-02-2017, 05:49 PM   #99
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Default Re: Black Lightning (DC Comics/Greg Berlanti )

Cool.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:30 PM   #100
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Default Re: Black Lightning (DC Comics/Greg Berlanti )

Is Chyna the one from ANT farm? If so, that's not the best picture of her. She looks like she just got out of bed.