The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Which movie is better ?
Black Panther 21 23.33%
The Dark Knight 69 76.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2018, 06:23 PM   #51
Adhesive Boy
Side-Kick

Default Re: Black Panther (2018) vs The Dark Knight (2008)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Scout View Post
I suppose so! It’s all a matter of taste.
That it is.

Adhesive Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:33 AM   #52
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Typically they are the best known. Killmonger was just so well done, I think making a superior villain will be hard. The MCU villains are much improved, but it is hard to top probably the best single movie villain you've had to this point (only Loki I say tops him, but that has somewhat to do with multiple appearances).
Hmm, hopefully the heya can do something Namor? The last few comic stories I have read where BP was heavily involved, him and BP always seemed to have a deep rivalry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
There haven't been many complete trilogies in the MCU yet. Thor follows what you say in most people's eyes, Iron Man is a bit shakier since the third one was a bit divisive, and Cap has a fairly equal opinion on his second and third (both being held higher in regard than the first).

But in general I think the MCU is in a better position now than before Marvel Studios was it's own thing. Since then we've seen an increase in having directors with distinct voices get to do the films in their way, while still managing to make it fit into the overall universe.
You may be onto something in that since becoming part of Disney the sequels have improved. Hopefully BP2, Spidey 2 and Doc Strange 2 can all improve on their predecessors.

Ant Man and The Wasp as well of course, liked the first movie a lot personally so looking forward to that one.

1)Avengers: Infinity War-9.5(2)A Quiet Place-9(3)Black Panther-9(4)Deadpool 2-9(5)The Shape of Water-8.5(6)Ready Player One-8(7)Solo: A Star Wars Story-8(8)Jurassic World- Fallen Kingdom-7.5(9)Tomb Raider-7(10)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:45 AM   #53
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcard View Post
You're not prepared for it already? Oh man is your brain aneurysm gonna be massive when the time comes.
Luckily, I can avoid those threads altogether and just roll my eyes if/when they do appear.

NotNickFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:31 AM   #54
The Batman
The Dark Knight

BP can't even beat TWS in its own forum, it definitely ain't beating TDK.

BP2 will most likely not be as good as the first.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:08 PM   #55
Hammer!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
BP can't even beat TWS in its own forum, it definitely ain't beating TDK.

BP2 will most likely not be as good as the first.
Gunna be hard when they already used up his top three villains in the first film.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #56
Batmannerism
Super-unknown

I voted for the Dark Knight, for whatever reason that movie resonates with me more.

Saw BP this morning, and watched TDK yesterday, so I can make a reasonable comparison. While TDK wins, BP is a terrific film in its own right- great action, good performances, a decent storyline, and a hint of politics.

I've put my review in spoiler tags, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

I'm interested at some of the lack of reaction down here - the media haven't really picked up on the "colonizer" comment - colonisation is a dirty word in New Zealand, and still a very contentious subject.

Anyway, I give this one a 9/10. The story has a lot of familiar notes, but it felt like a fresh take on them.

It's got a lot going for it, and kind of felt like the Lion King, meets Star Wars meets Captain America the Winter Soldier.

The performances were strong. Boseman was strong, but sympathetic in the lead, Jordan was a terrific, if a little underused, villain - and Andy Serkis was great manic fun.

The female characters were also very strong - something that hasn't been well-done in cbms.In fact the supporting cast was really strong all around - not a bad performance I could think of.

Where does it fit in with the other MCU films ? Good question, definitely one of the strongest solo films.

If I had to rank the top 5 MCU films I would have to go with:

1. GOTG
2. CA TWS
3. Civil War
4. Black Panther
5. Thor: Ragnarok

I feel that Iron Man has better development for the lead, but BP has a stronger supporting cast.

I feel like Civil War and TWS's action scenes had a bit more tension - and the stakes felt higher, which is weird - the final showdown in BP was pretty intense, but somehow I never felt that BP was not going to come out on top.
Of course we know the hero always wins, but really well done films make us suspend that knowledge and get genuinely excited.

If I had any gripe, it might be the Wakanda was a bit too Utopian - other than that changes of leadership were determined by ritual combat, but that's a very small gripe.

However, this film had some of Marvel's best villains thus far. I really rate Michael B Jordan, (loved Creed), it's a shame they killed him off - and Andy Serkis was enjoyable, shame they killed him off too. I feel like they chewed up the two best villains in the first film - so they'll have to really reach in the sequels.

All in all a really strong MCU film.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #57
DX
YES! YES! YES!

The one that always wins these polls.

It's the end of Sony as we know it and I feel GREAT!
DX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:03 AM   #58
LvtLeeTDK
Side-Kick

Wow, don't expect this to be so clear like this. I thought with all the hypes and praises, Black Panther would be a serious contender for The Dark Knight.

LvtLeeTDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:11 AM   #59
michaelcard

Gotham city in Dark Knighth is always the best movie..

michaelcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:37 AM   #60
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Not many CBMs do well against TDK, even the likes of CW and Logan were well beat.

1)Avengers: Infinity War-9.5(2)A Quiet Place-9(3)Black Panther-9(4)Deadpool 2-9(5)The Shape of Water-8.5(6)Ready Player One-8(7)Solo: A Star Wars Story-8(8)Jurassic World- Fallen Kingdom-7.5(9)Tomb Raider-7(10)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:04 AM   #61
Lantern Venom
Arrowverse needs Kyle

This one is about as close as two movies get. When I think about the two headlining characters in each film, I have to give a slight edge to T'Challa over Batman, while Joker tops Killmonger. Both have excellent wild card characters in Harvey Dent and M'Baku. Both expertly executed storylines where the hero's closest confidant (Gordon and Okoye) were caught between the imperative of his/her job and loyalty to the hero. Both had intricate weaponry and gadgets that were essential to their respective films.

So how did I choose? It was similar to picking a winner in a basketball game where the starting 5 are about even as well as the first 3 guys off the respective benches. Then I realized that Black Panther did a little better at making memorable minor characters like N'Jobu and W'Kabi when pitted against characters like The Chechen and Maroni.

The Flash: The Greatest Super Hero TV Show of All-Time.

Venom: 5/4/07 = Humiliation. 10/5/18 = Redemption?

R.I.P. Vartha, The Mod of Thunder.

Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:09 AM   #62
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Venom View Post
Both have excellent wild card characters in Harvey Dent and M'Baku.
I don't think they're even close. M'Baku had some funny lines, but he doesn't rival Dent's storyline. The ending alone trumps any scene M'Baku was in.

Aziz
Greens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:19 AM   #63
Lantern Venom
Arrowverse needs Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greens View Post
I don't think they're even close. M'Baku had some funny lines, but he doesn't rival Dent's storyline. The ending alone trumps any scene M'Baku was in.
I'd have to disagree there. Everything in the narrative of Black Panther hinged on the scene with the White Gorilla Cult in the mountains. That scene doesn't carry nearly the weight that did if Winston Duke didn't pull off the complex motivations of M'Baku. On top of being menacing and contemplative, he managed to be funny as well. I'd rank him near the top of greatest supporting villains in CBMs.

The Flash: The Greatest Super Hero TV Show of All-Time.

Venom: 5/4/07 = Humiliation. 10/5/18 = Redemption?

R.I.P. Vartha, The Mod of Thunder.

Lantern Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:52 AM   #64
Roose Bolton
Son of Katas

I'd have to agree with Greens here. M'Baku was fine, an interesting supporting character but Harvey Dent was basically at the heart of the Dark Knight's story. Plus, I found Eckhart gave a better performance.

If you seek Dude's monument, look around you.

Quote:
How is it that you, a diabolical sick ****, is so goddamn sexy?
Roose Bolton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:27 AM   #65
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

M'Baku was really good but I wouldn't call him outstanding. However, I just don't buy Two-Face in the tone that TDK has so M'Baku takes it for me.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:15 PM   #66
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

It's no insult to Black Panther to say The Dark Knight is a better film. It's like saying a basketball player isn't as good as Michael Jordan.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:18 PM   #67
Neptune
Uchiha

How is this even a question? TDK all the way!

Old 03-07-2018, 04:27 PM   #68
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Harvey Dent is a tragic character that the whole film hangs on. M'Baku gets to steal a scene or two and is otherwise just the flashy "We're not going to help" and then at the last minute he helps character. I like him, he did the part well, but one is arguably a protagonist for his film, and the other is a variation on Éomer from The Two Towers (who isn't exactly someone folks talk about in that film a whole lot).

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:32 PM   #69
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Harvey Dent is a tragic character that the whole film hangs on. M'Baku gets to steal a scene or two and is otherwise just the flashy "We're not going to help" and then at the last minute he helps character. I like him, he did the part well, but one is arguably a protagonist for his film, and the other is a variation on Éomer from The Two Towers (who isn't exactly someone folks talk about in that film a whole lot).
At least M'Baku was better than Karl Urban's character in Thor: Ragnarok

Aziz
Greens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:33 PM   #70
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
At least M'Baku was better than Karl Urban's character in Thor: Ragnarok
I mean. I'd say they're comparable, but he does have the "Not another word or I'll feed you to my children. I'm just kidding, we're vegetarians." So that probably gives him the slight edge. I will say Éomer and Gandalf's ride into Helm's Deep (which is not exactly original either) probably trumps M'Baku's surprise attack. But both are pretty awesome.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:21 AM   #71
m1ll3r
Failed experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvtLeeTDK View Post
Wow, don't expect this to be so clear like this. I thought with all the hypes and praises, Black Panther would be a serious contender for The Dark Knight.
I think the point here is probably that nothing is ever going to beat The Dark Knight. It’s still the only ‘comic book superhero’ movie that’s widely considered a serious piece of cinema. And with good reason. BP is great, but narratively it’s a pretty standard comic book movie, when you get right down to it.

2018 movies: Black Panther - 7.9/10, The Cloverfield Paradox - 2/10, Get Out - 9/10, Ready Player One - 7/10, Annihilation - 8/10, Avengers Infinity War - 8.5/10, Deadpool 2 - 8.5/10, Solo - 6.5/10, A Quiet Place - 9/10, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom - 5/10
m1ll3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:04 PM   #72
Samuron
Reprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuron View Post
I haven't seen Black Panther, so I'll have to go with Black Panther.
Just finally saw Black Panther, and it confirms it. Far better, for me, than The Dark Knight.

Samuron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:21 PM   #73
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

The Dark Knight

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:43 AM   #74
Chesterfield
Side-Kick

TDK is the 2 eyed man amongst a group of one eyed and blind men and even then it still needs contact lenses. It obviously stands out like a star player.

However, BP came out with excellence covering a good 97% of every facet. NO wins for me.

Never trust a big butt and a smile...

If you're looking for sympathy, try somewhere between 's**t' and 'syphilis', in a dictionary.
Chesterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #75
epicfurball
Side-Kick

Tdk > bp > bb > tdkr

epicfurball is offline   Reply With Quote