Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Ant-Man > Ant-Man and The Wasp

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #26
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Default Re: Ant-Man and Wasp News and Speculation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson View Post
Michael Douglas, Michael Pena, Peyton Reed and Adam McKay. I hope those 4 guys will be back!
Agreed, they all made the first movie so enjoyable! Really hope the quantum realm is explored more as well, with a mission to find Janet involved some how.

1)Avengers: Infinity War-9.5(2)A Quiet Place-9(3)Black Panther-9(4)Deadpool 2-9(5)The Shape of Water-8.5(6)Ready Player One-8(7)Solo: A Star Wars Story-8(8)Jurassic World- Fallen Kingdom-7.5(9)Tomb Raider-7(10)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
Old 10-18-2015, 11:13 AM   #27
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Do we know if the director is coming back?

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 10-18-2015, 02:16 PM   #28
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Nothing confirmed about Reed as of yet.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:07 PM   #29
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Wonder how much they will increase the budget by? The first has turned out to be a big success, I would expect it to increase to at least $150 million.

1)Avengers: Infinity War-9.5(2)A Quiet Place-9(3)Black Panther-9(4)Deadpool 2-9(5)The Shape of Water-8.5(6)Ready Player One-8(7)Solo: A Star Wars Story-8(8)Jurassic World- Fallen Kingdom-7.5(9)Tomb Raider-7(10)Pacific Rim Uprising-7
Old 11-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #30
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

I expect they will add another 10 or 20 million to the budget.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #31
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Yeah this one was $130 million, so adding another 20 for the sequel seems about right.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:08 AM   #32
Flint Marko
Bring me Thanos

I'll be honest, I'm somewhat skeptical that an Ant-man 2 is going to turn as much of a profit as the first. I understand that it's pretty ridiculous to doubt Marvel, especially when you consider that they haven't even really started making this film yet, but I had the same feeling for Avengers 2 as well.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:04 PM   #33
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

The difference is the first Avengers movie was one of the most successful movies of all time. It's just hard to top that. Ant-Man did respectable numbers when people were skeptical of it. Now they're less skeptical, so I would imagine it's a plus, but, even if that weren't the case, they don't have to shoot for the moon to surpass these results.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Old 11-01-2015, 03:07 PM   #34
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Ant-Man proved that the character could work on the big screen. The sequel can now really go to town with the concept. They barely scratched the surface of what they can do with the powers in the first film and there are a number of interesting directions they can go with for the sequel.

As long as the movie is good and entertaining then I think audiences will turn out for the sequel.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:21 PM   #35
Lilbaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
I'll be honest, I'm somewhat skeptical that an Ant-man 2 is going to turn as much of a profit as the first. I understand that it's pretty ridiculous to doubt Marvel, especially when you consider that they haven't even really started making this film yet, but I had the same feeling for Avengers 2 as well.
Ant man is now well known and liked. People will go to watch the sequel.

Aou suffered because avengers was unique. 4 films converging hadn't been done before so people were interested.

But it also depends on how the films between now and the sequel go.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:13 PM   #36
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
The difference is the first Avengers movie was one of the most successful movies of all time. It's just hard to top that. Ant-Man did respectable numbers when people were skeptical of it. Now they're less skeptical, so I would imagine it's a plus, but, even if that weren't the case, they don't have to shoot for the moon to surpass these results.
Exactly. I agree.

Ironman=A, The Incredible Hulk=C+, Ironman 2=B-, Thor=B+, Captain America:The First Avenger=B+, The Avengers=A, Ironman 3=C+, Thor: The Dark World=B-, Captain America:The Winter Soldier=A+, Guardians of the Galaxy=A-, Avengers:Age of Ultron=B, Ant-man=B+, Captain America:Civil War=A, Doctor Strange=B+, Galaxy of the Galaxy Vol 2=B, Spider-man:Homecoming=A-, Thor:Ragnarok=A-,Black Panther=A,Avengers:Infinity War=A, Ant-man & the Wasp=B+, Captain Marvel=?, TA4:??=?, ?=?
Old 11-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #37
SomeOldGuy
Side-Kick

A little chatter today that Adam McKay may chip in on the writing again...

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/a...t-antman-wasp/

Old 11-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #38
Speed Force
Your phone's charged

Peyton Reed talks about the sequel

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/ant-man...170925434.html

Old 11-11-2015, 12:30 PM   #39
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Parker View Post
all sounds great, hope Reed is confirmed soon.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:23 PM   #40
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Reed talks more about the Ant-Man and Wasp sequel with CBR. Its sounds like he is signed on.

Quote:
CBR News: What was the coolest thing you walked away with from the "Ant-Man" experience? Something that you didn't expect.

Peyton Reed: I think one of the surprises to me was how amazing that kind of Marvel system is to work in. I really enjoyed it. As a director, you're put into this movie with such a great support system. Visual effects artists, from the very beginning, all the visual development people -- you just feel incredibly supported with what you're doing.

I also think I was a little bit surprised at the flexibility that you had in terms of changing things. Even at the last minute, it's a lot less rigid than I would have thought. There's great flexibility and a desire on the part of the studio to really up any -- like, the best idea wins. How to make it better and different from anything they've done before. That creative energy and that creative hunger was probably the most exciting thing to discover.

As you start noodling around with concepts and story ideas, in the way that you hung a heist movie element onto your superhero film, do you want to stay in that same general zone, or try on a different tone or different genre?

I think there's probably going to be some aspects that maybe call back to the tone of this movie, but for "Ant-Man and the Wasp," we have an entirely different template. We know what that template is, and we have an entirely different genre template for that movie. But it's going to remain a surprise. But yes, that's already been decided.

We're in a really exciting time when it comes to female superheroes, across the gamut -- everything from the lighter tone of "Supergirl" to the darker take with "Jessica Jones." What are you excited for as far as the opportunities you have with the Wasp?

I'm excited just for Evangeline [Lily] to actually suit up and become a hero in the movie. I'm also excited about the idea that Ant-Man and the Wasp were a partnership throughout the history of Marvel Comics. It's a different dynamic than we've seen in the rest of the Marvel movies, an actual partnership. You've got Captain America and the Falcon, obviously. But this is a thing that in the comics was a romantic partnership and a heroic partnership, so it's going to be fun to play around with that and discover what the movie version of that is.

I feel like we've set up a pretty complicated character in Hope van Dyne in the first movie. It's going to be fun to see how that plays out in the second movie, and continue that exploration of the family dynamics between Scott Lang and his family, but also, between Hank Pym and Hope and possibly even Janet. So that's exciting.

I know Michael Douglas had floated up as possible casting for Jan -- namely, his actual wife, Catherine Zeta-Jones. It must be fun to have on the table.

Oh, it's great to have that on the table! I mean, we're so early on. We're really going to start in earnest in January on the writing. But we obviously have tons of notes -- things that we set up in the first movie -- and it's going to be fun to actually really hit the ground and start developing and writing the movie. It's so early on to start talking about that stuff. And also, I talk a lot to Michael about -- there's a lot of exposition that he was called on to present. There's a lot of set-up in "Ant-Man," and it will be fun to give Michael different stuff to do in this movie.

I remember when the movie came out, you were really happy to have done the retro sequences. Do you think you might do some more time-hopping next time around?

Yeah, I mean, it's something that we're discussing, and we'll see if it actually works within the context of the story. It's something that's definitely interesting to all of us. Because I think it gave us an opportunity, even with the opening scene in Ant-Man, the S.H.I.E.L.D scene, to retroactively place this guy into the Marvel Cinematic Universe who's such an important character in the comics, and all the possible relationships that could exist there, that's really exciting. It's something that we do want to explore.

Does that multiple-identity aspect of character's history -- his incarnations as Giant-Man, Goliath, etc. -- intrigue you on a story level?

Yeah. I mean, it's such a crucial part of his character in the comics. I think to ignore that would be crazy, because there's a lot of rich stuff. Not only with the different sort of super heroic identities that he had in the comics, but just his psychology. I mean, we do set up in the movie that when Scott says to him, "Why don't you just put on the suit?" He's like, "I can't. I did it for a long time, and it took a toll on me." It's like, "Well, what does that mean, exactly?" I think there are a lot of things that we're going to explore in the next one that will explain a lot of that stuff.

Tell me about wanting to raise the bar on how you do the size-changing effects the next time around.

Just the camera technology changes so quickly, and we won't start prepping the movie until probably October of next year and then shooting sometime in spring of 2017. So much can change between now and then about camera technology. I mean, we shot with the Arri Alexa, the 35mm, hi def format, and now, there's the 65mm version, and are we able to get into the larger format stuff? And there are advances that have been made with the RED digital camera.

A big part of my job is keeping abreast of all the technology and really trying to make it as vivid and immersive as possible. Such a massive learning curve on the first movie, and I'm sure that learning curve will continue in terms of the technology on the next one.

Was there a takeaway from the audience's reaction to the first film that's in the forefront of your mind?

Yeah, I suspected it when we were making the movie, and I think we doubled down on it, but the appeal of those comics to me was always that the hero was one of the strangest things. The world is our real world and sort of ordinary, and there are these exceptional things that can happen within it. A lot of times, these movies create such bizarro worlds that the hero's kind of the least interesting thing in the world. The idea that Paul plays a guy who's a pretty normal person -- he's made bad decisions, but he's a pretty normal person and gets pulled into this larger universe. Just the idea of a guy who wants to get his life back on track and be a part of his daughter's life.

The hero's goal in the movie is a really relatable goal. That was, I think, a fun thing to kind of get back to a little bit. That he's not a super scientist, and he's not a billionaire. He's just a guy just out of prison and trying to make ends meet. The ordinary quality, I think, really resonated with people. The father/daughter stuff -- I was pleased that people responded to that.
They have a new genre template.

They stars writing in January.

Romantic partnership as well as heroic partnership between Scott and Hope which is what Feige said before. They like the comic dynamic as a superhero couple.

More family stuff. I've said before that the Ant-Man and Wasp family have the potential to fill the superhero/scientist family hole vacated in the MCU by the lack of the Fantastic Four.

Douglas may get his wish of more cynical comedic one liners and less exposition in the sequel.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:53 PM   #41
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Great to see Peyton Reed talking about it. I hope it still has some elements of the heist though, because I think that kind of genre fits with Ant-Man. It's like Mission Impossible trying to change its genre when that has heist elements in each movie.

Also, I hope they still use the same Christophe Beck Ant-Man theme in the next movie and don't change it. It's one of the few really catchy and iconic Marvel themes.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:23 PM   #42
CB Fan
The Watcher

I like Evangeline Lilly's casting suggestion for Janet.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:08 AM   #43
SomeOldGuy
Side-Kick

Sure does sound like Reed is on board! I like all I hear so far.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:22 PM   #44
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Anyone notice how parts of the Agent Carter theme sounds like the Ant-Man theme? Imagine if we had a flashback with Hank Pym working with Peggy Carter. They could blend the two themes together.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:47 PM   #45
SomeOldGuy
Side-Kick

Andrew Barrer & Gabriel Ferrari Close Deal To Team With Paul Rudd On ‘Ant-Man And The Wasp’

Quote:
Scribes Andrew Barrer & Gabriel Ferrari have closed deals to team with Paul Rudd and write Ant-Man And The Wasp, the sequel to the Marvel franchise that launched with a near $520 million global gross on a $130 million budget. Peyton Reed is back to direct the second installment. I’m told that Adam McKay, The Big Short director who was one of the Ant-Man writers, will work with Barrer & Ferrari and Rudd to break the story, and then the three of them will go off and write the script. Barrer & Ferrari put in six months worth of un-credited writing on the first film while it was in production.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #46
AVEITWITHJAMON
Cloud kicks ass

Didn't know they worked on the first movie, glad they are back.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:50 PM   #47
<(o_o)>
Evangeline Is My Hero!

Since Ant-Man & The Wasp take place between Infinity Wars 1 & 2 should the plot be something that centers around both parts of those movies or be its own thing entirely?

Old 12-23-2015, 11:34 PM   #48
Godzillasaurus
Someone with no strings

^I was pondering the same thing earlier today, actually

I mean, unless Thanos doesn't attack in Part 1, a solitary story would really make no sense, especially given the grounded nature of the Ant-Man films (technology-based, whereas Thor and GotG for example are cosmic). Once Thanos makes his existence known to Earth, any other villainous faction is really going to be insignificant at that point.

I was thinking that, should Thanos' threat already come to light in Part 1, just set Ant-Man and the Wasp directly before the IW begins

Old 01-08-2016, 03:32 AM   #49
eon001
Side-Kick

OK I'm a bit late, I'll try and catch up.
*A.I.M would be a good replacement for hydra. Agents of shield has run them down to the ground. Time for a change.
*This movie will be between the infinity war movies, but they could still be separate from the plot. Who knows what unrelated side missions might pop up.
*Hope to see more Janet and Hank flashbacks. (Janet might have even returned from the microverse by then).
*Civil war Antman toy pretty much spoiled the appearance of Giant Man. Will we see the giant form in this movie ?

Old 01-08-2016, 08:30 AM   #50
HunBoy
Captain Hungary

The "flavour of the week" Ant-Man picked up a BAFTA nomination for Special Visual Effects.

Closed Thread