The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #151
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Default Re: Fantastic Four Box Office Prediction Thread

Pretty much Zarex! I think with venom this thing is receiving from fanboys online, you will see the power we have when it comes to these movies. This thing is DOA. There is nothing to look forward to in this movie, and not to mention the Disney factor. This movie has no chance next year.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #152
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docker2.0 View Post
Pretty much Zarex! I think with venom this thing is receiving from fanboys online, you will see the power we have when it comes to these movies. This thing is DOA. There is nothing to look forward to in this movie, and not to mention the Disney factor. This movie has no chance next year.
Or the power they don't have.

Age of Extinction is on it's way to a Billion despite the constant dislike of the franchise from fanboys.

The venom online has done nothing to hurt the movies

Blade • X-MenSpider-ManBlade 2X-Men 2HULKSpider-Man 2Iron ManX-Men First ClassThorCaptain America: The First AvengerThe Amazing Spider-ManThe WolverineX-Men Days of Future PastGuardians of the GalaxyDEADPOOL • LOGAN
Old 07-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #153
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post

Age of Extinction is on it's way to a Billion despite the constant dislike of the franchise from fanboys.

Like Planet of the Apes and X-Men, Transformers has a huge fanbase based on toys, cartoons, etc. Fantastic Four simply doesn't have that.

What IS the expected audience for the star free, zero resemblance to the classic team, hyper competitive release date reboot of a failed franchise known also as FFINO? I haven't a clue. If the rights weren't in jeapordy of reverting this year, there's not a chance in hell FOX would be greenlighting this production.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #154
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Yeah the Apes & X-Men comparisons aint really apt here. Both of them had their original better efforts before the crappy ones came along. FF's had just the Story one's and (for those who have hunted it down) the Corman one...

With Apes the original is still (rightly) considered a classic of the genre. It spawned numerous sequels (never matching the original) and a brief TV Show. The Apes are an icon in sci-fi cinematic history.

X-Men had X1 & X2 before X3 & Origins pissed off audiences all over. With the latter the pot was so soured by the prior efforts it affected the next 2 films (The Wolverine didn't do that great either) before DOFP, the return of Singer & the OT cast came along. And the X-Men built a big following from its successful 90's cartoon as well.

A closer comparison might be the Hulk: Ang Lee's misguided 03 effort was the Hulks first big budget film. That was still in the memory for many when Norton's film hit the theatres, and TIH is Marvels worst performing flick at the box office so far.

Seriously, if something as good as 'Edge of Tomorrow' can flop big time, this one certainly could too.

Ask WB if they'd trade EOT's impressive 90% RT Rating and crappy box office for a 40% rating (give or take) and a cool $billion in the bank in return for their expenses and effort, I think I know which option they'd go with.

Quality doesn't always equate to big bucks. A huge existing fan base can make all the difference, as the Transformers continued success is a testimony to.

The FF, as we have been reminded by the supporters of this effort, doesn't have a big enough fan base to carry it or ruin it one way or another. What it does have is being an all too soon reboot of a franchise that hardly set the world alight last time round, made by the same studio as well (so no boost from an MCU link to help it out either).

The things going against this one being successful do outweigh anything that might be going for it, imo.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #155
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

I'd add Judge Dredd. Horrendous critically and decent commercially for a first film, and despite 17 years of separation and a vastly improved critical scored, ended up bombing in the box office.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:37 PM   #156
A Dollar Short
Side-Kick

Quote:

Pretty much.

The thought of any of them (all ten of them) having any influence is hilarious.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:11 AM   #157
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Dollar Short View Post
Pretty much.

Wait, you think only 10 fans don't approve of this?!?! What's the most active thread in this forum? Go to any website and go to the comments section and watch the majority of posts. Yet we are delusional?

Old 07-04-2014, 01:40 AM   #158
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Pretty much.

I don't know how much of an influence the dislike of what fans are seeing at this moment will have on the outcome of the movie, that is just speculation I don't get into....but to throw another number like "10"...only "10", is hysterical.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 07-04-2014, 08:00 AM   #159
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post

I don't know how much of an influence the dislike of what fans are seeing at this moment will have on the outcome of the movie, that is just speculation I don't get into....but to throw another number like "10"...only "10", is hysterical.
Yeah, if we get images showing Doom looking like Doom and the FF looking like the FF, much of this will be forgotten.

BUT if the final product doesn't really look like the FF (which is the concern most of us have), then the millions of people out there who have read an occasional comic book or seen a cartoon aren't going to be overly excited to run out and see a film that doesn't show them the images they know from their youth.

If fans are meaningless, why is Fox holding on to this property like grim death? If it's just about making a good movie, they should make Chronicle II (or any of the Mark Millar properties Fox owns). They own the merchandising rights to those other films, so if not for FF fans, other properties are much more valuable to them.

There is a definite value to the fan-base, but we don't know with any real certainty yet how well the final product will or will not meet the expectations of that fan-base (which extends far beyond these forums).

Old 07-04-2014, 08:33 AM   #160
Donut
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
the FF looking like the FF
This cast already does not look like the FF. So how can they change that around in pictures ? I don't think any costumes can help this cast

Last edited by Donut; 07-04-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #161
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:

Seems more like 10 are in support of the film here at this board (atm). Of them I think a few are just X-Men fans, and a few just not really fans of the comic, so they genuinely don't mind what Fox do at all.

I'm sure there are some comic fans who don't mind either, and will fulfil Mr Jordan's prophecy. No idea how many though.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:35 AM   #162
The Endless
WE are Groot

I predict this film will make 18 potatoes out of a possible 100.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #163
A Dollar Short
Side-Kick

Quote:
Wait, you think only 10 fans don't approve of this?!?! What's the most active thread in this forum?
And how many post their regularly?

Quote:
Go to any website and go to the comments section and watch the majority of posts. Yet we are delusional?
The same ones that will trash something one day and praise it the other? Yeah, hard to take them seriously.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #164
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:
And how many post their regularly?

The same ones that will trash something one day and praise it the other? Yeah, hard to take them seriously.
Ok, that makes no sense. Just going off of here alone, the most active thread in this forum is the "hope the rights go back to Marvel" thread. Go to yahoo or any other forum, it's the same thing. It's why, despite this movie coming out next year, we haven't seen anything concerning this film to date. No costumes, no synopsis, nothing from this film, just an occasional tweet from the writers or whoever but the actors all seem to be in the dark. Not saying the movie won't happen(though I personally don't believe it will)but if it does, I don't think it will do well.

It amazes me how these new posters pop up when someone gets banned but posts almost the exact same like the last guy who got banned. Just a strong coincidence.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #165
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Ok, that makes no sense. Just going off of here alone, the most active thread in this forum is the "hope the rights go back to Marvel" thread. Go to yahoo or any other forum, it's the same thing. It's why, despite this movie coming out next year, we haven't seen anything concerning this film to date. No costumes, no synopsis, nothing from this film, just an occasional tweet from the writers or whoever but the actors all seem to be in the dark. Not saying the movie won't happen(though I personally don't believe it will)but if it does, I don't think it will do well.

It amazes me how these new posters pop up when someone gets banned but posts almost the exact same like the last guy who got banned. Just a strong coincidence.
New poster? they joined in 2013....I would come near thinking they are already a regular poster here using another SN to post in this thread.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 07-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #166
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Pretty much.

Quote:
Wait, you think only 10 fans don't approve of this?!?! What's the most active thread in this forum?
Quote:

Off the top of my head those in that particular thread are the usually same 10 posters, give or take a few

The thread post count isnt indicative of a large group of individuals posting but a teeny tiny group of individuals regurgitating the same opinions for hundreds of posts over and over.

Quote:
despite this movie coming out next year, we haven't seen anything concerning this film to date. No costumes, no synopsis, nothing from this film
Same for Ant-Man, and probably plenty of others.

Blade • X-MenSpider-ManBlade 2X-Men 2HULKSpider-Man 2Iron ManX-Men First ClassThorCaptain America: The First AvengerThe Amazing Spider-ManThe WolverineX-Men Days of Future PastGuardians of the GalaxyDEADPOOL • LOGAN

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 07-04-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #167
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Off the top of my head those in that particular thread are the usually same 10 posters, give or take a few

The thread post count isnt indicative of a large group of individuals posting but a teeny tiny group of individuals regurgitating the same opinions for hundreds of posts over and over.

Well, that goes for the 5 positive people as well. When you have so little info on a movie, that is what happens. All sides tend to just repeat themselves. I believe the conversation was speaking of movie sites as a whole, not just this one.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 07-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #168
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Well, that goes for the 5 positive people as well. When you have so little info on a movie, that is what happens. All sides tend to just repeat themselves. I believe the conversation was speaking of movie sites as a whole, not just this one.
Agreed.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #169
Donut
Banned User

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by Donut; 07-04-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #170
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:
New poster? they joined in 2013....I would come near thinking they are already a regular poster here using another SN to post in this thread.
You couldn't tell me that in private? Way to take away my man points.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #171
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
You couldn't tell me that in private? Way to take away my man points.
ooops sorry, I didn't know "man points" were in play here....

~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 07-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #172
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Seems more like 10 are in support of the film here at this board (atm). Of them I think a few are just X-Men fans, and a few just not really fans of the comic, so they genuinely don't mind what Fox do at all.

I'm sure there are some comic fans who don't mind either, and will fulfil Mr Jordan's prophecy. No idea how many though.
Don't forget the people who just hate Marvel Studios, for whatever reason. I think we've got at least a couple FF "fans" who are motivated by exactly that.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #173
BatsDC
Side-Kicker

Quote:
We've seen a synopsis, costume, and test footage for Ant-Man...

Old 07-09-2014, 04:40 PM   #174
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
We've seen test footage for Ant-Man and we even have a synopsis. Hell for Avengers 2 we even had concept art for the twins.

Quote:
Except that the TF franchise is critic proof. It's an exception. Why do people need to bring up the TF franchise when we are fully aware that it's critic proof. Remember what happened after X-3 was released? All the X-men films and spin offs dipped at the B.O. up until The Wolverine.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #175
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Transformers established itself before the films started getting panned by the critics. It's much the same as the Pirates films. The films got progressively worse, but the money kept pouring in.

FFINO is starting from an even worse place than Batman Begins did, where it was trying to re-establish itself after Batman and Robin, because we already knew Batman could be successful as he was with the original Burton film.

The first FF was a modest hit that garnered a sequel that did worse than the original and killed the franchise. Both films were panned critically, and the fans didn't show much support either. That's a bad starting place.

Does the film have any actors that have a box office draw? No

Does the film have any buzz about it? No

Is the film one of the highest anticipated of 2015? No not even close.

I'm not blasting this film, just because it's Fox, or that I think Marvel should get the rights back, it's just got all the makings of a horrible film.

The most successful "found footage" film was the Blair Witch project back in '99. Nothing has come close to matching its success, because it's an old gimmick.

Chronicle only make 64M, and this is the guy who is helming this film.

This film will be a colossal failure. The only reason it won't be the biggest flop of 2015, is that would require people to be invested in the film to succeed, and the fact is no one really cares about it.