The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Sony

Old 06-18-2017, 03:03 PM   #751
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Default Re: The Official God of War Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick View Post
I am and am not taking it literally and already explained both. Literally, it doesn't really matter since his godly powers were transfered to the Colossus, the Blade of Olympus and he was dethroned by Zeus. He hasn't been a god ever since, but a demi god once again.
Figuratively, I don't think it matters one bit to Kratos what he used to represent. He got his revenge, destroyed everything that was and wasn't on his path and even then I don't believe he was able to forgive himself. All of what he felt was anger and regret. The only thing left for him was to kill himself. That got him nothing. That old god label he was given resulted on nothing to him.
We're yet to see it once the game comes out but what's been said and shown so far point towards that.
Okay first, I don't think what you are saying is what makes a god a god in God of War is. It isn't simply having "godly powers". The gods are a race of people, the product of Titans reproducing. Stripped of his powers, Zeus would still be a god, Just like the Titans are always Titans. Kratos and Hercules are always demigods, the results of the gods reproducing with mankind.

When Kratos becomes the God of War, he doesn't have "godly" powers. He has the powers given to him from Pandora's Box. Powers that I believe belong to the war between the Titans and the gods.

When Kratos becomes, "the God of War". Its a title. Nothing more. But in every semblance of the phrase as used for the title of the series, Kratos is the "God of War". He is a master of war, the best of warriors. He is the God of War.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick View Post
I don't think the title should represent what he used to be, but what he is trying to (or ultimately will) become, like the first game in the series did.
By the way, two out of three Wolverine movies had Wolverine in the title. They had the courage to deviate from that and were still successful. So, why not change it here too? Barlog said it isn't a numbered game because this is a different Kratos with different goals and he wanted the title to reflect that. Instead of just not give it a number, they could've come with a different name to the game at the same time, but something that is still familiar with the series. The second PSP game was named Ghost of Sparta. That was one opportunity where they could have abandoned the God of War name, but Kratos, during that story, was still the God of War and hadn't been dethroned, so it made sense in that case.
He is still the God of War. He is still Kratos, Ghost of Sparta, God of War, the God Killer, etc. And that is what he will always be.

Kratos problem is his guilt. But his guilt isn't about killing the gods. It is an overall guilt of being a really good warrior, a really good killer. He is going to have to accept his past to move past it. Accept that he is, "the God of War".

But here is a question for you. Why do you assume they want to change the name? Why do you assume they need to? What if the title fits perfectly for all those involved? Balrog say he didn't want it to be called, "God of War"? You sure there is no underlying reason for the title?

Old 06-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #752
Jick
Auxiliary Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Okay first, I don't think what you are saying is what makes a god a god in God of War is. It isn't simply having "godly powers". The gods are a race of people, the product of Titans reproducing. Stripped of his powers, Zeus would still be a god, Just like the Titans are always Titans. Kratos and Hercules are always demigods, the results of the gods reproducing with mankind.

When Kratos becomes the God of War, he doesn't have "godly" powers. He has the powers given to him from Pandora's Box. Powers that I believe belong to the war between the Titans and the gods.
Godly powers as in having the power to compare to the other gods, to bring them to an end. Kratos became one when he absorbed the power in Pandora's Box, killed Ares and was accepted on Olympus as his successor. He acted just like the previous one when he descended from there as a giant and assisted on destroying the city of Rhodes. He ceased from being one when he was robbed of his godly strenght and height by the eagle (Zeus), infused the rest of his godhood on the sword and was killed by his father. He didn't change races when he became a god. He was given a title. That title was stripped from him soon after.

Quote:
When Kratos becomes, "the God of War". Its a title. Nothing more. But in every semblance of the phrase as used for the title of the series, Kratos is the "God of War". He is a master of war, the best of warriors. He is the God of War.

He is still the God of War. He is still Kratos, Ghost of Sparta, God of War, the God Killer, etc. And that is what he will always be.

Kratos problem is his guilt. But his guilt isn't about killing the gods. It is an overall guilt of being a really good warrior, a really good killer. He is going to have to accept his past to move past it. Accept that he is, "the God of War".
This is where I don't agree with you. He was all of that. That is a past he doesn't want to repeat. There is no forgetting, but there is redemption. He was a master of war. He was a soldier, a general, a god, a godkiller. He was. That is over. He is still a warrior because he needs to survive and he wants his son to survive, so he is teaching his son what he knows. How to be a skilled fighter, not how to be a killer or someone who wages war where he goes. To you, the title of God of War still fits Kratos. To me, it doesn't make sense anymore and that's where we diverge. That old Kratos fit the criteria. This new one does not. At least not as far as we know. That all could change by the end of the game. I certainly hope not, though. I want the story to evolve, not to become a revenge story anymore.

Oh, and his guilt comes from killing his family. That's why he was plagued by nightmares and wasn't able to forgive himself.
Quote:
But here is a question for you. Why do you assume they want to change the name? Why do you assume they need to? What if the title fits perfectly for all those involved? Balrog say he didn't want it to be called, "God of War"? You sure there is no underlying reason for the title?
I'm not assuming anything, I simply said that it'd be nice to have a different title to reflect the new direction the series is taking and that it doesn't need to necessarily be called GoW again. And no, that's not what Barlog said.

Last edited by Jick; 06-18-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Jick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #753
Iceman
Infinity War!

How about a different subtitle to cover the games when the series moves to a new mythology? I'm quite invested in the GoW main title for this family of games, as illogical as that may seem.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #754
-VisionsVision-
The Last Jedi

I hope this game wont be pushed back.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #755
-VisionsVision-
The Last Jedi

Game still says "Early 2018" I'm guessing anytime between January and April. I just don't understand why they can't give us a solid release date?!

Old 09-28-2017, 09:06 PM   #756
Jick
Auxiliary Assistant

Probably because it can be delayed and they don't want to frustrate the fans if it does.

Jick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:26 PM   #757
spiderman2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by -VisionsVision- View Post
Game still says "Early 2018" I'm guessing anytime between January and April. I just don't understand why they can't give us a solid release date?!
My guess is that by PlayStation experience we will either have a release date or a confured deylay.

1.Dark knight rises 2.Spider man 2 3.Batman begins 4.Dark knight 5.Cap Civil war 6.Logan 7.Spider-Man homecoming 8.Cap winter soilder 9.Amazing Spider-Man 2 10.Doctor strange 11.Xmen DOFP.12.Xmen FC. 13.Spiderman 14.WW 15. Avengers AOU 16. Avengers 17.Amazing Spider-Man 18.Iron man 3 19.Man of steel 20.Spider-Man 3

Need to rewatch about 5 to have a final list.
spiderman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:30 PM   #758
-VisionsVision-
The Last Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman2 View Post
My guess is that by PlayStation experience we will either have a release date or a confured deylay.
When is that?

Old 10-13-2017, 03:31 PM   #759
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by -VisionsVision- View Post
When is that?
First days of December. Hoping for some GoW and Spider-Man goodness.

First Avenger is online now   Reply With Quote