The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Legion

Old 02-10-2017, 05:07 PM   #76
Doctor Jones
No One

Default Re: Legion S1E1 - "Chapter 1" (Spoilers!)

Through absolutely legal means.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:19 PM   #77
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

You should be able to watch it on FX's website.

NotNickFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:21 PM   #78
Weather Witch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNickFury View Post
You should be able to watch it on FX's website.
If you are from the US that is.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:03 PM   #79
psylockolussus
Fierce User

A couple of scenes have that TV look which puts me off. But compare this to the Netflix shows, this one looked more expensive especially with the power displays, they didn't hold back and with the Netflix shows that is usually my problem. I am hoping they could maintain the spectacle of the show for the follow up episodes and not just in the pilot episode.

The story, I wasn't blown away. Like I don't know what is the direction of this show. Like what is the end game? Are mutants are still being experimented and hated. I have no clue. I am also not really into these psychological business and this is the type of show that you should listen carefully to get the whole thing so that lessened my enjoyment. but hopefully once I am invested to the show, I would end up liking it. But 1 episode so far, its just okay the actors are good. The Vfx are decent for a TV show. I get the retro look though I just wish they film some shots better. Like I liked when they changed the frame rate and the look of the show became different, it was during the scene where Legion talked to his love interest in his mind. The scene looked like a movie and I wish the show was filmed that way instead of the scenes that looked like it had an orange/blue camera filter.

my number one criticism is I cannot get any excitement with the characters that isn't Legion. Like they are all created for the show and eh I wish that wasn't the case.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 02-10-2017 at 08:45 PM.
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:49 PM   #80
fobi
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Parker View Post
I think this accurately describes me and probably just about everyone else watching this episode

Yes. Lol.

But I think I like it.

fobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:52 PM   #81
x-er
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Witch View Post
If you are from the US that is.
In the US, but FX only lets me view a couple of minutes. That's too bad. I can't watch it otherwise and I'm not alone. A wide online audience won't get to see any of the X-Men tv series this way unless they're as good as the ones that get paid for/downloaded illegally, e.g. Game of Thrones...

x-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:55 PM   #82
x-er
Side-Kick

and quite frankly, I feel a bit cheated that they'd want more money for their franchise, when they can't even give fans a proper adaptation of the material, particularly with characters like Rogue and Cyke, among other.

x-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:55 PM   #83
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-er View Post
In the US, but FX only lets me view a couple of minutes. That's too bad. I can't watch it otherwise and I'm not alone. A wide online audience won't get to see any of the X-Men tv series this way unless they're as good as the ones that get paid for/downloaded illegally, e.g. Game of Thrones...
-> https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-show/id1187327352 <- And it's free, apparently

Whedon-----Guggenheim_____Kinberg
Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:39 AM   #84
Brother Jack
Believer

This thing was so brazenly weird and stylistic. Noah Hawley is one talented dude.

round to the same place again.

Brother Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:18 AM   #85
Steelsheen
Head Geek of Nerdtopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Parker View Post
I think this accurately describes me and probably just about everyone else watching this episode

pretty much

im so confused with the time frame. are they in the '60s? present day? i mean you see all the old skool stuff and then suddenly that guy interviewing David has a tablet. also that lime green suitcase is throwing me off, suitcases dont look like that even in the '70s yeah i just dated myself

but this is VERY interesting, will tune in on the 2nd ep because it only started to make sense towards the end of ep1 so i think there's hope for me lol. if they are going to go with things happening in his head and not in the environment around him, they better make the visual differentiation more obvious, because thats the most confusing aspect about ep1.

xxxMADNESS IS LIKE GRAVITY ALL IT TAKES IS A LITTLE PU
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxS
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxH
Follow me on Twitter: All the Geekery @Steelsheen
Steelsheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:24 AM   #86
psylockolussus
Fierce User

They are in the present days, the look of the show is just very retro and quirky. Its like the prequel trilogy of X-Men inspired them.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:12 AM   #87
Asgard
Kanga Fu

Im still confused a day later. Lol.

How David got out of Clockworks when his body was trapped inside the walls is hurting my brain.

Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #88
Pokkle
Side-Kick

A really good pilot , it had his own vibes.
The power's display looked great, and the actions scenes at the end was cool too.
Looking forward for the rest of the season.

Pokkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:26 PM   #89
Chip Chipperson
Thanos 3:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post

How David got out of Clockworks when his body was trapped inside the walls is hurting my brain.
yeah I'm right there with ya

but I'm ok with not getting an answer for everything. Especially if the show is as good as the first episode

Chip Chipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:32 PM   #90
BestGirl
Chillin' on Dragonstone

Overall I liked it, though at times it was a bit too stylized and quirky, which is also a complaint I have of Fargo. I hope things will be more straightforward now that he's out of the asylum.

ETA: I'm really curious about this Yellow Eyed Devil or whatever David calls that fat creepy creature that haunts him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
They are in the present days, the look of the show is just very retro and quirky. Its like the prequel trilogy of X-Men inspired them.
I'm thinking it's like Batman the Animated Series, which had 90s technology mixed with a 40s aesthetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post

Yeah, I didn't get that either. Maybe once Syd's effect on him wore off they switched bodies rather than switched brains.

Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it’s the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters. - Greg Rucka

Last edited by BestGirl; 02-11-2017 at 08:39 PM.
BestGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:30 PM   #91
Darepool
Banned User

I'll say this about the pilot, it's ambitious. Not sure if I'll like this show or not, I get the sense that Hawley is going to indulge himself in stylized esotericism as much as possible. I hope It doesn't get too pretentious as we move forward. As a viewer I can 'indulge' that for a two hour film, not sure I can or even want to for a full series.

Last edited by Darepool; 02-11-2017 at 10:34 PM.
Darepool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:51 PM   #92
2kt09
Here 'N' There

I thought it would be more esoteric, since his dialogue tends to be.
Somehow he found a way to keep that simple enough while warping the narrative via the direction and vfx.

Whedon-----Guggenheim_____Kinberg
Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:06 AM   #93
combocaz
Side-Kick

I just finished and man i cant for the next episode.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:44 AM   #94
Guts
My love for you

Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:16 PM   #95
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

I'm surprised that they resolved the mental hospital plot as quick as they did (assuming they did, hard to say what's real). I figured they'd drag it out a bit longer.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #96
Weather Witch
Side-Kick

Yeah that also surprised me. Though I think it worked pretty well in the episode. I like how it's not clear where the show is going yet.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:40 PM   #97
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Ratings update:

Quote:
FX’s foray into the superhero world is off to a decent start. In Nielsen’s Live+3 ratings, the premiere on Feb. 8 drew 1.8 million viewers in the 18-49 demographic and 3.27 million total viewers.

If you tack on the two encores that also aired that night — FX sells ads on a cume, so it’s not quite as dodgy a practice in this case — that brings the haul to 2.39 million in the demo and 4.37 million viewers on the whole. These numbers don’t include streaming or viewing done on VOD.

That’s a healthy boost over the live ratings, which were around 896,000 viewers in the demo (a 0.7 rating) and 1.68 million total viewers. That was better than the premiere of Tom Hardy’s period drama “Taboo” in the demo (0.6), if not total viewers (2.16 million). Most FX series — and scripted shows on other networks — see big lifts with delayed viewing.
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/tv-ratings-...221649676.html

NotNickFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:52 PM   #98
InCali
I got a pUpgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
I'm surprised that they resolved the mental hospital plot as quick as they did (assuming they did, hard to say what's real). I figured they'd drag it out a bit longer.
I kind of think they had to. I watched this with someone who wasn't at all familiar with the material and they had a really hard time following (tuning into??) the middle part of the show, by the end, they were on board. I hope that doesn't turn off people who have less familiarity. Outside of the Netflix series, I think it's at least as good as any of the comic book adaptations on TV.

www.cloudvistas.com
InCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:05 PM   #99
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

I don't think that necessarily has to do with mental hospitals or not, it's just a deliberately hard to follow show.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:25 AM   #100
Smilodon
Side-Kick

The show is only 8 episodes though, so it makes sense that they'd kinda move through it fairly quickly in addition to the fact that Hawley is playing fast and loose with conventional narrative structure.

Smilodon is offline   Reply With Quote