The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 12-13-2017, 12:06 AM   #76
Sithborg
About time Filoni

Default Re: X-Men - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
I'm okay with the topic of religion being involved as I know that's a major deal, but there is more to it than just evil religious people. There are religious people of all walks who accept or refuse to judge. Myself being one of them... and I know a LOT of others who are just like me. To be honest, it's possible that half or more of the Christians that I'm close with fall into this category. Then there are also those who are against homosexuality entirely but love and respect gay people despite their perceived sin (and this is how I used to be). Most of these people, which I think is probably the majority of Christians overall, remember that no man or woman is perfect and that a gay person's perceived sin is no better or worse than the sins that Christians deal with themselves.

To ONLY depict religion as evil and antagonistic toward homosexuality is indeed cliche toward religion and specifically Christians. There's a lot of depth there that could in turn add a lot of depth to the book as well. I wouldn't say it's necessary, but since the writer is making religion a functioning aspect of the book, I'd hope that he can cover it accurately.

That's where I think characters like Nightcrawler and Kitty Pryde (or any other religious character for that matter... but those two would be the most obvious) could really be interesting in this title. But I just question his ability to do so based on what I've seen thus far.
I will say, G. Willow Wilson has religion as a rather big part of her Ms. Marvel book. And frankly, it is a really good take on religion for that generation in general.

Sithborg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:28 AM   #77
KindaichiShota
Newbie First Class

okay...

KindaichiShota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:52 AM   #78
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ones View Post
Organized religion has been antagonistic to gay rights every step of the way - just look at the millions of dollars these religions have spent fighting gay rights. I find Bobby's parents to be complicated and I think Grace has shown the effects of their worldview on Bobby in a nuanced way. But this book isn't about them or a platform for Christians to depict themselves as allies to LGBTQ people after centuries of harm.
Oh, I know. I said it myself... it's not necessary to include Christianity in the book at all. But the writer is opting to bring religion into it, so I think it'd be best to handle it accurately instead of one sided.

And yes, organized religion is very much a foil to homosexuality, but there is a lot more depth there than just religion = bad guys. But as to my original point, with how the writer writes characters not named Bobby, I doubt he has the ability to write a religious character properly in regard to this conversation. If he could, it would in my opinion make this book shine even more.

JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #79
Havok83
Side-Kick

Jean Grey #10 was amazing and leads into Phoenix: Resurrection. Definitely a must read for Jean fans

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:04 PM   #80
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Quote:
Oh, I know. I said it myself... it's not necessary to include Christianity in the book at all. But the writer is opting to bring religion into it, so I think it'd be best to handle it accurately instead of one sided.

And yes, organized religion is very much a foil to homosexuality, but there is a lot more depth there than just religion = bad guys. But as to my original point, with how the writer writes characters not named Bobby, I doubt he has the ability to write a religious character properly in regard to this conversation. If he could, it would in my opinion make this book shine even more.
Judah is Jewish so no, religion =/= bad guys in this book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Jean Grey #10 was amazing and leads into Phoenix: Resurrection. Definitely a must read for Jean fans
It's out already?! It felt like #9 just came out. This is awesome.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:13 PM   #81
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Must have overlooked or forgotten that. Is he Jewish in a religious sense or non-practicing. I can't recall.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:19 PM   #82
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

He references his bar mitzvah.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:15 PM   #83
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:

It's out already?! It felt like #9 just came out. This is awesome.
Yes and it was soooo good!. Dont read the spoiler till you've read it but The Phoenix Force

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
killed Teen Jean!
. It wants adult Jean and it'll be interesting to see how they transition from the ghost to her being flesh in Resurrection bc it seemed as if the solo series and that seemed to be different stories on a similar theme but they are definitely connected. Blue definitely complicates things as it doesnt tie at all and not sure where it even fits in the continuity. Speaking of Blue, the current issue was also good and I think I can go for the new premise of the book, being a modern day version of Exiles. Next issue, they take on
Generation X

Old 12-13-2017, 09:34 PM   #84
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

I agree Havok, this issue was wild and exciting and unpredictable. Everything just makes me more and more excited for what comes next. Hopeless is really pulling through in the end here. And I agree that Blue never quite fits and just needs to become Exiles.

ANW also had a shocking end!

Old 12-13-2017, 09:37 PM   #85
psylockolussus
Fierce User

I loved that spoiler!

Old 12-13-2017, 10:06 PM   #86
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Regarding Blue... I'm enjoying the guest stars the past two issues, but man I wish the writer would get the continuity right.

Mondo was never a member of the team when they wore those costumes. He was only on the team very early on... kinda. It wasn't ever the real Mondo, but that's besides the point.

And regarding X-Men 2099...

I loved seeing them again, though I was hoping they'd have a bigger role in the book or have a longer story. Ultimately I was REALLY hoping someone from their team would join the team like Bloodstorm and Jimmy Hudson had. I'd love to see Skullfire, Meanstreak, or Bloodhawk come to the main 616. Though I suppose Cerebra would have likely been the one based on the plot. Oh well... it was fun while it lasted. I just realized that they had some sort of roll in the current Spider-Man 2099 book around issue 10. So I'm looking into those.

Nevertheless, I still love the ending of this issue... WOOHOO!!!

Last edited by JewishHobbit; 12-13-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:47 PM   #87
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Regarding Blue... I'm enjoying the guest stars the past two issues, but man I wish the writer would get the continuity right.

Mondo was never a member of the team when they wore those costumes. He was only on the team very early on... kinda. It wasn't ever the real Mondo, but that's besides the point.
You cant blame Bunn as thats an artist issue. When we got the original preview in Blue, Gen X was drawn in their original costumes but the artist has changed by #17. Im sure Bunn wasnt directing Silva which look to draw them in. With that said, I wouldnt call it a continuity goof bc a theme of this book is about alternate timelines. There is no indication that this is 616 Gen X and this lineup could very well have worn those costumes with Mondo around

Old 12-14-2017, 04:09 AM   #88
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes and it was soooo good!. Dont read the spoiler till you've read it but The Phoenix Force

killed Teen Jean!
. It wants adult Jean and it'll be interesting to see how they transition from the ghost to her being flesh in Resurrection bc it seemed as if the solo series and that seemed to be different stories on a similar theme but they are definitely connected. Blue definitely complicates things as it doesnt tie at all and not sure where it even fits in the continuity. Speaking of Blue, the current issue was also good and I think I can go for the new premise of the book, being a modern day version of Exiles. Next issue, they take on
Generation X
I was told what happenby my sister and she got thecomic for me soI'm all caugfht up seeing from what she told that the time displaces X-men did try to go back home in AXM and found out they are indeed from an alternate reality I'm not overly surprrsed and that mean what I said month ago was correct. via that wikia which was also correct.

I'm sure she'll alos be back later too but i'm happy the orginals back. srious the best to keep both
would be to have her and Teen cyclops just Reborn as her kid's in this reality they both to have auburn hair and just name teen jean jeannet to differentiate them.

I'd also think the same's possible with the others. come to think of it, I just been wondering with the events of battle world,
Ice man was missing for a good lot of it and Dr. strange said something to Captain marvel on how can he be sure if she was the carol danvers he knew?

it's possble that the adult bobby is linked to teen bobby drake, but is not 616 ice man since battle scatter most of the heroes? well any way I think there a way to still have both and for people get what they want regardless. and seeing that X-men 2099 in coming to the main 616 verse and decmber frost is coming ?
hmm

besides that I do see a need for the x-men solo titles and I'm happy they are doing what mad ones saiy their doing I been picking some of them up. and they are good reads.

And it's about time the X-men had ongoing serie inthe solo department anyways.

Last edited by zenith16; 12-14-2017 at 04:18 AM.
zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:40 AM   #89
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
You cant blame Bunn as thats an artist issue. When we got the original preview in Blue, Gen X was drawn in their original costumes but the artist has changed by #17. Im sure Bunn wasnt directing Silva which look to draw them in. With that said, I wouldnt call it a continuity goof bc a theme of this book is about alternate timelines. There is no indication that this is 616 Gen X and this lineup could very well have worn those costumes with Mondo around
That's true. The Generation X enthusiast in me is just expecting too much.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:12 PM   #90
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Jean Grey:
The end isn't going to help Jean's reputation of dying all the time (even if that isn't true to begin with!). It was quite a bold move for the Phoenix to deem the comic's protagonist unworthy and killing her off in favour of the adult version! Obviously this isn't going to last and teen Jean will be resurrected somehow, but Hopeless really through a curve ball so kudos to him. I am really really really going to miss this series, not so much for teen Jean herself but for the supporting cast she started to get. I would LOVE for this title to get rebranded into some kind of Phoenix title staring teen Jean, Jean, Emma, the Cuckoos, Quentin Quire, and Hope. I think Hopeless has shown that he can make what appear to be redundancies work really well! Just give them some kind of ongoing Phoenix related mission that keeps them working together. I'm falling in love with this idea.

X-men Blue:
I'm not going to lie, I didn't like the last issue and wasn't expecting to like this one either but I ended up being really interested in it. Turning the O5 into the gentrifiers of a dystopic future really caught my attention. This series works really well when thought of as an Exiles series. I'm stoked to see Generation X, even though I have to admit I have not read Generation X. It's cool to see Chamber get some attention between here and the current Generation X.

All New Wolverine:
This title continues to impress me. I've always like Laura well enough but I never thought I'd be a huge fan of hers. I typically hate stabby stabby characters but now I can't get enough of Taylor writing them. Gabby's codename is everything and it delivered one of the funniest moments in comics I've read in a while. The art for this arc is spectacular. Cabal is a really talented and creative artist. This page is a current fave:

X-men Red is in great hands with Taylor.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:17 PM   #91
Havok83
Side-Kick

So I see Monet is back to being a white woman. Interesting matchups though

Jimmy vs Penance
Jean vs Chamber
Iceman vs Jubilee
Beast vs Skin
Cyclops vs M
Angel vs Synch
Bloodstorm vs Husk and Mondo?

Can the O5 take Synch back with them?

Old 12-15-2017, 08:36 AM   #92
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:

So I see Monet is back to being a white woman. Interesting matchups though

Jimmy vs Penance
Jean vs Chamber
Iceman vs Jubilee
Beast vs Skin
Cyclops vs M
Angel vs Synch
Bloodstorm vs Husk and Mondo?

Can the O5 take Synch back with them?
that would make alot of fans and my self happy I'm sure 616 jubilee too. how ever I'm not sure she like him seeing her as vampire she may have lingering issue about that. And her being older thenthis version of him too.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:08 AM   #93
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Jean Grey:
The end isn't going to help Jean's reputation of dying all the time (even if that isn't true to begin with!). It was quite a bold move for the Phoenix to deem the comic's protagonist unworthy and killing her off in favour of the adult version! Obviously this isn't going to last and teen Jean will be resurrected somehow, but Hopeless really through a curve ball so kudos to him. I am really really really going to miss this series, not so much for teen Jean herself but for the supporting cast she started to get. I would LOVE for this title to get rebranded into some kind of Phoenix title staring teen Jean, Jean, Emma, the Cuckoos, Quentin Quire, and Hope. I think Hopeless has shown that he can make what appear to be redundancies work really well! Just give them some kind of ongoing Phoenix related mission that keeps them working together. I'm falling in love with this idea.
I try to dodge all spoilers and information beyond the current issues so I wasn't aware that the title was ending. Can't say I'll miss it, as I've never been an O5 fan, but if the book is ending, there's no guarentee that Jean will return. Yes, I know there's a next issue after the Resurrection story, but that could very well be an aftermath/remembering teen-Jean story.

I suppose if you follow future solicitations you'd know more than me, but I prefer to stay in the dark about this sort of stuff. I realized that after years of always knowing what's going to happen 3 months or more in advance, that the joy of the moment was gone. Since dodging all spoilers and solicitations/articles etc. I've really grown to love comics more again. It's like I'm a kid again knowing only what the next issue blurb tells me. I'm loving the approach I just wish I hadn't already learned about Jean's return as that would have blown my mind.

Quote:
X-men Blue:
I'm not going to lie, I didn't like the last issue and wasn't expecting to like this one either but I ended up being really interested in it. Turning the O5 into the gentrifiers of a dystopic future really caught my attention. This series works really well when thought of as an Exiles series. I'm stoked to see Generation X, even though I have to admit I have not read Generation X. It's cool to see Chamber get some attention between here and the current Generation X.
As stated above, I've never been a huge fan of the 05, but them turning into an Exiles sort of book/team is certainly appealing. Adding members from other alternate timelines would also add to that flavor (as they have done with Jimmy and Bloodstorm). I've lost track of whether or not they are now alternate history X-Men or still the proper 616 X-Men of the past... but as long as they are alternate... I'm cool with it.

And on a related note... post-Secret War... is it still the 616?

Quote:
All New Wolverine:
This title continues to impress me. I've always like Laura well enough but I never thought I'd be a huge fan of hers. I typically hate stabby stabby characters but now I can't get enough of Taylor writing them. Gabby's codename is everything and it delivered one of the funniest moments in comics I've read in a while. The art for this arc is spectacular. Cabal is a really talented and creative artist. This page is a current fave:

X-men Red is in great hands with Taylor.
I read the first couple issues of this title and then dropped it for a long time. I only recently got caught back up and man I'm glad I did. This is probably the best X-Title out there in my opinion. Taylor is doing a fantastic job, and yes... that makes me very excited for Red.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:03 PM   #94
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

^ I try to avoid spoilers to the best of my ability as well, but sometimes I can't help but read the preview pages (which is actually quite a large chunk of the comic). I actually don't know what the solicitations say for the next issue of Jean Grey.

I don't think we know for certain if the 05 are the originals or from another timeline. I think this arc might answer that for us. There were some shenanigans with Secret Wars... but I didn't follow that event as closely as I should have.

Like I said, I usually hate stabby stabby characters so if you would have told me a year ago that ANW would have been one of my favourite titles and that yet ANOTHER clone (Gabby) would be one of my favourite new characters I wouldn't have believed you.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:27 PM   #95
Havok83
Side-Kick

The end of ANX v2 implied that they are now AR charcaters but people have been saying that Bunn is implying that they are originals in interviews so who knows now

Old 12-15-2017, 04:45 PM   #96
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
^ I try to avoid spoilers to the best of my ability as well, but sometimes I can't help but read the preview pages (which is actually quite a large chunk of the comic). I actually don't know what the solicitations say for the next issue of Jean Grey.

I don't think we know for certain if the 05 are the originals or from another timeline. I think this arc might answer that for us. There were some shenanigans with Secret Wars... but I didn't follow that event as closely as I should have.
yes I already mention it in my spoiler tagged quotes to havok that they did, in fact, address
the time-displaced Xmen did, in fact, go back and they found out that there
were version's of themselves still in the timeline /reality they left thank's to beast, pulling them away, and they were from another reality and not part of 616 at all. this is onthis same page where both you and Jewish hobbit started talking after I posted that and you went on to talk about the recent issue of jean grey's solo X-men blue & all new Wolverine

The issue is All new X-men Vol .2 issue #20 March 2017 which is the very final issue. I stated my youngest sister picked up the issue for me confirming this.

if you want I can also buy another issue and have it sent to you via normal mail as chrismas gift if you want it?

Last edited by zenith16; 12-15-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:18 PM   #97
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post
yes I already mention it in my spoiler tagged quotes to havok that they did, in fact, address
the time-displaced Xmen did, in fact, go back and they found out that there
were version's of themselves still in the timeline /reality they left thank's to beast, pulling them away, and they were from another reality and not part of 616 at all. this is onthis same page where both you and Jewish hobbit started talking after I posted that and you went on to talk about the recent issue of jean grey's solo X-men blue & all new Wolverine

The issue is All new X-men Vol .2 issue #20 March 2017 which is the very final issue. I stated my youngest sister picked up the issue for me confirming this.

if you want I can also buy another issue and have it sent to you via normal mail as chrismas gift if you want it?
I have it; my memory just sucks Thanks for the offer though.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:54 PM   #98
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
I have it; my memory just sucks Thanks for the offer though.
alright then. the offer is still open for mad ones though if he want's it. anyways as IO said the wikia's was right. then againb I still have buddies fromthe time danny wall's site was still around helping that site.

though I as said in the spoiler tag's I'm woundering if the adult ice man is the actual 616 ice man after what dr.strange said to carol during secret war during the incursion and the battle world event where they fought doom who had the power of the cosmic cubes? he said hecan't tell if he's the carol danver's/ captain marvel he know's or some one from an alternate time/ relaity. and ice man was one of those not there active during that event? well any way I rather they be room for them all regardless and if it turned that ere the case there that ther three bobby's / ice man and that adult one was actully more linked to you ng ice then 616 bobby the smart thing to do is to merg that those two and still have him around for Deken's sake but make so he's 616's ice man son epecailly with 2099

vistor's in play, I'd like them to fully address december frost's parentage. since there were what if's with iceman married to Emma and that time she was after him in both uncanny during the road trip and in the genX books where she was on date with him during the Gen Xer's prom/ ball. which she chose to date him.

Anyway you never know? you can't be sure if every one was put inthe right place.

Last edited by zenith16; 12-15-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:59 PM   #99
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

That's really kind of you zenith, but I don't need the issue, just the info haha! Thanks, though.

From Asrar's twitter:

I don't care what the haters say, this design is awesome and I just love Asrar's Jean.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:03 PM   #100
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's really kind of you zenith, but I don't need the issue, just the info haha! Thanks, though.

From Asrar's twitter:

I don't care what the haters say, this design is awesome and I just love Asrar's Jean.

ok then .I'm guess if you ever want the issue you'll find it your self too. but if you do change your mind? let men know.

And I agree this is an awesome image.

Not sure who's hating on it but they have poor taste then.