Side-Kick

Default Re: X-Men - Part 8

She was the worst X-men ever created

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:49 PM   #177
JewishHobbit
Banned User

I'd wager that that character would be Emma Frost. I'd take Stacy over Emma any day of the week and twice and Sunday.

But after Emma? Yeah... that's a possibility.

JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #178
Sithborg
Oooh, plot twist!

Emma was good through Gen X.

Sithborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #179
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
I'd wager that that character would be Emma Frost. I'd take Stacy over Emma any day of the week and twice and Sunday.

But after Emma? Yeah... that's a possibility.
I never liked Emma much either, myself.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:19 PM   #180
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

I'm a huuuge Emma fan.

I never read Casey or Austen but it sounds like their runs were absolutely terrible.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:23 PM   #181
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ones View Post
I'm a huuuge Emma fan.

I never read Casey or Austen but it sounds like their runs were absolutely terrible.
Not the worst but they paled in comparison to the other 2 core titles at the time, X-treme and New X-men.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:30 PM   #182
JewishHobbit
Banned User

I liked Casey's brief run mostly because of Chamber joining the team. Austen's though... it had good moments but was mostly pretty bad. He did some pretty good stuff with Juggernaut and Northstar. The opening scene of the 2-part Holy War arc is stil one of my favorite scenes of all time.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:07 PM   #183
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Quote:
Big Stacey X fan then?

Admittedly... I kinda liked her under Casey, but then Austen took over and his erotic history took over. Blah.
I liked Stacy X. She's like Marrow to me. A flawed character though her mutant ability is weird.

I wish Marvel learned to develop these characters especially the ones who were on the main team. Instead of inducting 60+ mutants into the team since 2000.

Marrow could have been an iconic member, Stacy X could have been more memorable, M could have been a big asset to the team, Cecilia Reyes could have been used more, Blink could have been the Emma or Gambit of the 2010s if they wanted her to be the new break out star of the team, they didn't need to forget Sage when Claremonth left. There is just a lot of wasted potential.

I don't think there would be another break out star from the main team that isn't younger version or knock off of an established character. And its sad.

psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #184
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Not the worst but they paled in comparison to the other 2 core titles at the time, X-treme and New X-men.
To me, X-Treme was the worst.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #185
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Quote:
I never read X-treme either... it looked iffy
Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
To me, X-Treme was the worst.
Why was it the worst for you?

Old 01-09-2018, 08:50 PM   #186
Havok83
Side-Kick

X-Men Gold Annual preview has been released and either Guggenheim completely got the facts wrong of a past story or he truly believes Rachel is interchangeable with Jean. Where the heck are the editors? SMH

https://www.newsarama.com/38048-retu...review.html#s8

Old 01-10-2018, 08:36 AM   #187
JewishHobbit
Banned User

Regarding X-Treme... I loved the first 18 issues or so. Through the Invasion arc. The story was good, the art was fantastic, and I'm one of the few who truly loved Lifeguard as a character and STILL feel that she has the makings of an interesting X-Man. It kills me that Brubaker created Darwin instead of using her in his Rise & Fall of the Shi'ar Empire arc. Extremely similar power set but with an already established dangling Shi'ar plotline. She would have been amazing in that.

But after the Invasion arc the book got boring. The Schism arc was just okay, though the art was good, and then once Kordy (spelling?) came on as regular penciler, the book just died. I think maybe it had potential with the Bogan story staring most of the old New Mutants, but I just couldn't look past the horrible art.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:20 PM   #188
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Quote:

It was just a chore to get through like Claremont's final Uncanny X-Men issues. I liked the artwork though.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:08 AM   #189
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:

Xtreme xment wasn't that bad but it wasn't mr.claremontsw best work. I also found out he was also doing other comic's a t the same time for other publisher like vertigo etc. so hew as trying to multi task and I think mr claremont is more of a focauser. his attent needs to be i one places and his work will be fine,

ether way it gave him the rep when i returned that he was way past over the hill, too many fans dumpped on him for it. and there was ageism speek in th worst way. I enjoyed xtreme x-men regardless, including the story ark with rogue true potential powers. and sage I really enjoye sage . vargas was interesting, kahn was a throw away villain for storm.

the only thing I found interesting about kahn was that floating city/ omni versla palas of his. I thought after they defeated him it would have made a great addtion to the xaiver school. tech wise

some relation ships weren't nessary like Neal sharra stealing besty way. mr clarmeont admited that he didn't know how to write the ralationship of angle and besty. so he didn't want them together but neal wasn't a cool and he just came off as a horny looer some of it can be blamed on mr claremonts doing too many book's at once.

other wise.. Neal just wasn't developed well and he moved on so fast from woman to woman so fast he lose's his fiance and she become a mutant sentinel hybrid and he say he seaching for her but when you look at the books he doesn't give a damn , he goes after pyslocke. pyslockle dies ALLEGEDLY on the mission for the diaries, which he's on and he's already after life guard before her body's cold and barried.
yeah he was an A hole so he he was too hard to like.

and people wonder why some of us certain fan's don't trust them with the relationships any more. I think mr. clarment still has good cool idea's and plots but he's not a multi tasker. and he shouldn't fallow what other younger up and coming writers do in the rlation ship departments of characters ether cause those guys just want every character sleeping around on each other.

if he doesn't konw how to writer that relation ship don't touch the character involved inthatarea there. or don't use them at all. well he was always useing psylocke from before he left. and he said atthe time the libraywerein dis array and the editor didn't care much for up dating the writers withthe proper issue to do certain reasearch . and they didn't move from a bulding to another at the time.

It just show their editor's aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing at times at marvel . sadly.

Last edited by zenith16; 01-11-2018 at 12:22 AM.
zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #190
Havok83
Side-Kick

Old 01-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #191
JewishHobbit
Banned User

Quote:
X-Men Gold Annual preview has been released and either Guggenheim completely got the facts wrong of a past story or he truly believes Rachel is interchangeable with Jean. Where the heck are the editors? SMH

https://www.newsarama.com/38048-retu...review.html#s8
Having finished reading that issue... it's still not completely clear but I think...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
The character is an alternate version of the one in Uncanny X-Men 387. Even Rachel clarifies that it wasn't her. That's really the only way any of that makes sense. I can't imagine that Guggenheim would mess up that badly when he references the issue within the comic itself.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:28 PM   #192
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

That variant is rad and such an iconic moment.

The Gold annual depicted Storm as the X-men's Wonder Woman. I wish they would actually treat the chatacter with that kind of respect. Also, poor Anole lol.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:29 PM   #193
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Having finished reading that issue... it's still not completely clear but I think...

The character is an alternate version of the one in Uncanny X-Men 387. Even Rachel clarifies that it wasn't her. That's really the only way any of that makes sense. I can't imagine that Guggenheim would mess up that badly when he references the issue within the comic itself.
I just re-read it and Rachel says it wasnt her that killed the D'bari. She never acknowledges UXM 387. Guggs messed up and editorial didnt catch it. The issue was so bad and how it was resolved so quickly was anticlimatic. Meggan being pregnant and not telling anyone till 3 months later made no sense and the lack of mention of Psylocke was glaring.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #194
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Gold keeps getting worse. Extraordinary was a masterpiece compared to this.

Last edited by Mad Ones; 01-17-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:43 PM   #195
Havok83
Side-Kick

Storm decided to take a nap again! The issue was set up to troll anyone that actually expected her to fare better. OML needing to tell her how her powers work had me rolling my eyes

Sigh, I wish Phoenix Resurrection were out today.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:13 PM   #196
psylockolussus
Fierce User

I liked the artwork in Gold more than Extraordinary's, both titles are **** though. I don't know about you but I wish Marvel would just group their best creative team for a single X-Men title, preferably named as Uncanny X-Men, and they would release 2 to 4 issues per month. All the core stories would be there and it would be the definitive progress of the X-Men. Like the stories told in Gold and Blue won't be remembered, they felt like side stories and the story in Astonishing and Phoenix Resurrection feel more crucial chapters of the X-Men. Though I don't get why they needed to resurrect Xavier/Phoenix in the same time period.

If this was up to me, this would be the chronicle of the X-Men chapters for the last three years
Death of X - second half 2015
Aftermath of Death of X - first half of 2016
Inhumans vs X-Men - second half of 2016
X-Men in Central Park - first half of 2017
Xavier's return - second half of 2017
Phoenix Resurrection - now

The over lapping of characters in different titles really irks me.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:43 PM   #197
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Generation X was pretty great

A certain character is back to their former glory, it seems. About time.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:16 PM   #198
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
I liked the artwork in Gold more than Extraordinary's, both titles are **** though. I don't know about you but I wish Marvel would just group their best creative team for a single X-Men title, preferably named as Uncanny X-Men, and they would release 2 to 4 issues per month. All the core stories would be there and it would be the definitive progress of the X-Men. Like the stories told in Gold and Blue won't be remembered, they felt like side stories and the story in Astonishing and Phoenix Resurrection feel more crucial chapters of the X-Men. Though I don't get why they needed to resurrect Xavier/Phoenix in the same time period.

If this was up to me, this would be the chronicle of the X-Men chapters for the last three years
Death of X - second half 2015
Aftermath of Death of X - first half of 2016
Inhumans vs X-Men - second half of 2016
X-Men in Central Park - first half of 2017
Xavier's return - second half of 2017
Phoenix Resurrection - now

The over lapping of characters in different titles really irks me.
A weekly series? That would be an awful idea and would put too much pressure on the creators and lead to inconsistent art and rushed material. There are already too many characters for one title and I dont think the best solution is to keep jumping around between the dozens of active characters in one book. That sounds too much like what Fraction tried to do during his UXM run but at least there were other titles around where some of the less popular characters got a chance to shine

I do agree with you that in hindsight Blue and Gold feel rather insiginficant as nothing done has really added to the mythos of the X-men. Blue has been a fun read but the O5 have felt on borrowed time for years. Gold had potential but reads like bad Kitty Pryde fanfic. I wish Bunn had been able to keep his Uncanny X-men and expanded it to incorporate the O5 instead of them being the main focus of his book with Magneto kept as carryover

Last edited by Havok83; 01-17-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:06 PM   #199
psylockolussus
Fierce User

If it was up to me, it would just be 1 issue per month. Though I can see fans complaining about that that's why I said 2 to 4 issues. As for the dozen characters of not being used, I don't really care like as if 3 to 4 separate X titles helped the smaller characters, that's not really the case.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:15 PM   #200
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
If it was up to me, it would just be 1 issue per month. Though I can see fans complaining about that that's why I said 2 to 4 issues. As for the dozen characters of not being used, I don't really care like as if 3 to 4 separate X titles helped the smaller characters, that's not really the case.
there's 5 team titles and the only overlap is OML. Its not perfect but there are a bit of characters showcased across them. There's too many characters that simply would not be seen if there was just one book