The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 01:22 AM   #576
A Necessary Evil
One. Bad. Day.

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 10

How exactly can one movie ruin your enjoyment of the others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
The way SONY dominated Marc Webb was way more hardcore than anything in 50 Shades anyways.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:24 AM   #577
Mrs. Sawyer
Banned User

I understand Spider-man's case, as I've been saying that ever since 3 came out that it really made the flaws with the first two movies even more apparent and obvious.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:26 AM   #578
Matt Mortem
Moof Milker

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
How exactly can one movie ruin your enjoyment of the others?
I don't know, it's hard to really put into words. I guess it spoils it at first, but once I go back a few years later, my opinion kinda resets. When Spider-Man 3 came out I just didn't want anything to do with any of Raimi's Spider-Man films. Now I go back and the first two are still great, with 3 being completely ignorable. The best example of how I feel about awful sequels is Saw. I have such a hard time with the Saw franchise, especially when having to make a case to others as to why I like the first Saw film, because the 350 sequels have just made a joke of the franchise. Sometimes sequels are just not necessary.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #579
A Necessary Evil
One. Bad. Day.

Well, I'll stickup for SM3, because I do like it.

But I hate saw, so...

But, the way I see it, if I hate a sequel to a franchise I loved (X-Men 3) or find the sequel to be lacking in a way (BF), I just..ignore its existence, and enjoy the others.

Quote:
The way SONY dominated Marc Webb was way more hardcore than anything in 50 Shades anyways.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:30 AM   #580
Matt Mortem
Moof Milker

Quote:

But I hate saw, so...

But, the way I see it, if I hate a sequel to a franchise I loved (X-Men 3) or find the sequel to be lacking in a way (BF), I just..ignore its existence, and enjoy the others.
I try to overlook sequels, but because I'm such a compulsive completionist I end up buying films I don't love or straight up hate. They sit on my shelves and glare at me.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #581
Mrs. Sawyer
Banned User

Quote:

But I hate saw, so...

I usually do, and while I don't let SM3 affect my opinion of the first two, I'll play devil's advocate here. Spider-man 3 is different than those examples you listed because both of them didn't have directors of their first two movies coming back. Spider-man 3 did, and Raimi was pretty much on autopilot during SM3 and obviously didn't care about making the movie like he did the first two due to issues with execs. Execs wanted the more popular villains and Raimi wanted to include villains he liked. Ultimately, it was a failure to compromise because while you do want to let the director do they're own thing, the execs wanted to have villains that would be the most profitable. Venom for the longest time was Spider-man's most popular (note that I didn't say best) villain. It boils down to what villain would put more butts in seats at theaters, Venom or Vulture (who Raimi originally wanted to use for SM3).

Last edited by Mrs. Sawyer; 10-02-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:46 AM   #582
A Necessary Evil
One. Bad. Day.

I feel like Raimi cared, because there are moments where you really can see that he did. I feel like SM3 was moreso "I cared...its just things kinda went wrong".

Quote:
Old 10-02-2012, 01:51 AM   #583
Mrs. Sawyer
Banned User

And then there are scenes likes Peter walking down the street and also the scene where he does a performances that makes you go, "Raimi wanted to say F you to the execs", not to mention killing off Venom and not even giving him much screentime.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:52 AM   #584
A Necessary Evil
One. Bad. Day.

That screentime was more than he deserved

Now, l do agree, sm3 has a good amount of WTF moments, but l think its legitimately good too.

Quote:
Old 10-02-2012, 04:15 AM   #585
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
The best example of how I feel about awful sequels is Saw. I have such a hard time with the Saw franchise, especially when having to make a case to others as to why I like the first Saw film, because the 350 sequels have just made a joke of the franchise. Sometimes sequels are just not necessary.

I really enjoyed the SAW films with the exception of part 5 and 7. It definitely overstayed it's welcome though. I remember people in the theater would laugh at the previews and usually you could overhear "this again" or something to that effect. I stayed on board for seven straight years but they wrote themselves into a corner and the dip in quality was apparent. Although the traps were still inventive throughout.

Quote:
I go back and forth on Spiderman 3. There are some parts I like but also hate. At least we have somewhat of a conclusion to Raimi's trilogy.

My unpopular opinion for the day..... I couldn't be happier with some of the Xmen film franchise stars returning for flashback/cameos. I hope they still tie all the films together but write Xmen 3 as an alternate timeline.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #586
A Necessary Evil
One. Bad. Day.

I'm not against that happening, but I just want it done right, and in a non-confusing manner. (time travel stuff)

Quote:
Old 10-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #587
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
I'm not against that happening, but I just want it done right, and in a non-confusing manner. (time travel stuff)

I hope hey can figure out a way to make sense of it. The X-men films don't nearly live up to the comics but they've done a good job with certain aspects. I hope they don't completely abandon what's been built so far. Although I hated the treatment of Cyclops.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #588
Mrs. Sawyer
Banned User

I want it done. I want Cyclops alive again dammit!

Old 10-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #589
DarkSovereignty
Ooga Chakka

I just want to see more Colossus and Nightcrawler, as those two are my favorite X men characters...oh, and Colossus better fight juggernaut at some point, the proportionate fail of that missed opportunity boggles the mind and clouds the senses.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Welcome to the hype, we hate fun #gategate #SeriousBusiness
H.E

Last edited by DarkSovereignty; 10-02-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #590
Matt Mortem
Moof Milker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
I just want to see more Colossus and Nightcrawler, as those three are my favorite X men characters...oh, and Colossus better fight juggernaut at some point, the proportionate fail of that missed opportunity boggles the mind and clouds the senses.
I agree a billion percent. Those two should have beat the hell out of each other.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:29 AM   #591
A Necessary Evil
One. Bad. Day.

Then, in some form of end credits scene, deadpool steps on screen, and BOOM lead into deadpool movie

Quote:
Old 10-03-2012, 03:51 AM   #592
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
That screentime was more than he deserved

Quote:
Now, l do agree, sm3 has a good amount of WTF moments, but l think its legitimately good too.

YOUTUBE

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #593
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

I just realized...

Bane from Batman and Robin could have been a pretty horrifying and scary version of the character, if he were in a different movie. I mean. The dude was massive, and his mask lent to a Gimp-like creepiness about him, his oversized, greenish arms gave the appearance that he was somehow diseased or dying already, plus - if you removed the camp - his origin of being some mentally-twisted criminal being tortured and mutilated into Bane is pretty dark too.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #594
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Here's one for ya. Saw Dredd, didn't like it. It was good, but not great and it's slow-mo visual gimmick lost it's edge after they tossed those dealers off the top of Peach Trees. It's a good action movie but all the cgi/sfx/slo-mo robbed it of a lot of it's visceral violence. It failed at the box office and I totally get why. Production design was nice though.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #595
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

You're awful.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #596
grout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenScratch View Post
Here's one for ya. Saw Dredd, didn't like it. It was good, but not great and it's slow-mo visual gimmick lost it's edge after they tossed those dealers off the top of Peach Trees. It's a good action movie but all the cgi/sfx/slo-mo robbed it of a lot of it's visceral violence. It failed at the box office and I totally get why. Production design was nice though.
Chicken,, im really trying to understand your Dredd view, if you didnt like it thats totally fine. But what you say about the film is very contradictive. Just look what i put in bold of your quote, how does that make sense? Im really just trying to understand.

I promise im not picking a fight...

Old 10-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #597
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
I just realized...

Bane from Batman and Robin could have been a pretty horrifying and scary version of the character, if he were in a different movie. I mean. The dude was massive, and his mask lent to a Gimp-like creepiness about him, his oversized, greenish arms gave the appearance that he was somehow diseased or dying already, plus - if you removed the camp - his origin of being some mentally-twisted criminal being tortured and mutilated into Bane is pretty dark too.
Fair point

YOUTUBE

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #598
ChickenScratch
Banned User

What, you never hate "good" movies. It achieved what they set out to do. But like Titanic or There Will Be Blood or The Saw movies or any other number of movies it just didn't work for me. it looked nice at times and had decent action, but I didn't like it. Understand?

Old 10-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #599
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
You're awful.
Oh, a personal attack because I didnt like a movie. How very mature of you.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #600
grout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenScratch View Post
What, you never hate "good" movies. It achieved what they set out to do. But like Titanic or There Will Be Blood or The Saw movies or any other number of movies it just didn't work for me. it looked nice at times and had decent action, but I didn't like it. Understand?
Nope, i cant really say i do understand, I never really hated a good movie.. But everbody has there individual views.

Closed Thread