The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 06-26-2013, 06:20 AM   #501
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

Default Re: Iron Man 3 vs Man Of Steel

I just forgot about them to be honest because i have necer watched them. Only tried to watch the spirit becaue of frank miller but it bored me to death and i..stopped watching. thats why i only said green lantern.

And by DC movies i mean really DC movies, movies that are concistent, blockbusters, made to be good. Jonah Hex was so poorly made it didnt even make it to my country, i wasn't aware of its existance and i was reading comics when it came out.

Some of them fell into Hell
NosfeRomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #502
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Iron Man has managed to, at some point or another, outgross the three most iconic Superheroes at the BO.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #503
milost
Banned User

I enjoyed Iron Man 3 way more than Man of Steel.

Not to take away from Man of Steel, but it didn't really resonate with me. I wanted it to but I really couldn't get into it. There was a point where I was just sitting there (I think when Supes is getting wrapped up in the terraforming tentacles), bored and realized the movie wasn't for me. I got the heads up in the 1st 15 minutes when Jor- El is riding some weird alien creature looking for Matrix codex science stuff.

The Reeve/Donner, truth justice and the American way spirit is more my thing. What I did like about MoS was the Kansas, Americana, young Clark scenes. Those did resonate with me, there just wasn't enough to let me into the entire movie. I liked Costner, Crowe, thought Cavill made a very good modern Supes, but the sci-if story and other characters just bummed me out. Couldn't dig it, too "super epic, mindlessly action packed" for me.

Iron Man 3 on the other hand was exciting and fun. I loved the dialogue, the witty banter, the Tony Stark character. It injected the right amount of emotions to keep me engaged. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I loved the Trevor Slattery reveal. It takes a lot for me to laugh, but him coming out in those red pants, cracking open beers, just killed me. I also enjoyed Stark's macgyveresque scenes, especially the mansion raid. That kid was one of the better kid sidekicks I've seen too. Par that with the character study of Stark and his PTSD (like Cap says, "take the armor away and what are you" and the overall tone of the movie (love it's soundtrack). It was fast, quick and engaging. The only thing I didn't like was the end and some of the dumb moments like Pepper falling to her death and the "real" Mandarin.

Last edited by milost; 06-26-2013 at 02:22 PM.
milost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #504
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosfeRomas View Post
People are really biased against DC movies and i don't really understand why. Iron Man 3 will age better because you can pop it anytime to laugh at the jokes and enjoy the action. If i'm gonna watch Man of Steel i better be invested in it. And i love this about DC. They are not pop corn flicks(except Green Lantern), even Man of Steel which is a hardcore sci fi movies and with all its ups and downs (mostly ups for me) its a deeper movie. Iron Man 3(i liked it btw) is false-deep unlike Iron Man 1. I couldn't buy Tony's trauma because even until the last minute of Avengers they were frustrated, sure but they were also cracking jokes and having a blast killing Aliens easly. The problem was that they were too many not that they were powerful.
SO much BS in this post. Marvel Studios gets as much if not more hate on this site than DC. And this thing about Marvel movies being comedies irks me to no end. Yes they have moments of humor and levity, but no one wants to mention that they have equal moments of tension, darkness, sadness, tenderness and warmth. And you know what else has those? The real world! people laugh, have fun and also know when its time to get down to business. Nobody goes around being all dark and serious and contemplative 100% of the time. That would crush you. There's a ton of levity in the world and the Marvel films reflect that.

T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #505
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Five of my top six superhero films are DC, and the one exception (Spider-Man 2) was not done by Marvel Studios. And I say that as someone who typically is more of a fan of the Marvel heroes. The problem with DC is their consistency isn't there. If you go to a Marvel Studios film it is a good bet that you will see a decent to good superhero film that might border on great if you got lucky. DC either makes classics (ex. Superman: The Movie, Batman 89, The Dark Knight Trilogy) or abominations to the artform (ex. Batman & Robin, Catwoman, Jonah Hex, Green Lantern, etc.) with little in between. Man of Steel is one of the few DC films that is merely okay.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #506
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Iron Man has managed to, at some point or another, outgross the three most iconic Superheroes at the BO.
Which opens the question: when do we start admitting that Iron Man *is* one of the top three most iconic superheroes? Sure, his role in comics might not be any different, but comics are irrelevant in the greater scheme of things.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #507
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Which opens the question: when do we start admitting that Iron Man *is* one of the top three most iconic superheroes? Sure, his role in comics might not be any different, but comics are irrelevant in the greater scheme of things.
I'd say it is now a big four.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #508
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

DC to me has only ever made 4 superhero movies that I would ever give a good review to and only one of those would I call great. It's also the first movie they made; the quality of which they have never been able to reach since. And prior to MoS that just came out that overall number of films was just 3. The outside studio made Marvel films to me at best have ever only reached the sorta good/ok stage. 8 out of 21, I think. DC is 4 out of 19 for me. Then there's MS who so far are 7 out of 7 with 3 great and 4 good.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:25 AM   #509
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Agree with Kahran, Iron Man could be considered as at least in the top four, but to knock off Batman, Superman or Spider-Man...I think that's pushing it a bit.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:55 AM   #510
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
We can say that when we have proof that the love affair with iron man isn't really mostly a love affair with RDJ.

I am very curious to see how the character will do once rdj retires from the role? It would almost be like someone taking over as captain jack from Depp at this point i feel.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:13 AM   #511
xeno000
IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

Quote:
Iron Man is currently the most popular superhero in the world, whether fans want to admit that or not. Even a Business Week article about MOS's marketing campaign pointed out the fact that Iron Man is more popular and better liked than the traditional "big three" heroes. (Superman was fourth on the list.) Iron Man's popularity is not really surprising since Tony Stark and his alter ego have starred in films with a combined $3.9 billion in global ticket sales over the last five years.

It is amazing that Marvel Studios has managed to undermine the long-standing superhero hierarchy in just a few years. The situation won't stay static, as future films will will promote other heroes (and heroines) to elite status. It will be fascinating to see who climbs to the top in the next decade.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...keting-machine

It’s something that’s easy to take for granted, growing up in the United States as a white male, that my cinematic heroes look like me...It’s something that over the course of these ten years, having a certain amount of power over what type of movies are made and what type of actors we hire, I want everybody to have that feeling. We don’t take it for granted that people want to see themselves reflected in our heroes and our characters.
xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:24 AM   #512
xeno000
IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Agree with Kahran, Iron Man could be considered as at least in the top four, but to knock off Batman, Superman or Spider-Man...I think that's pushing it a bit.
Quote:
According to the Q Scores Co., which measures a brand or character’s cultural saturation, 87 percent of Americans knew who the red-caped superhero was before Man of Steel came out. But aside from the 2006 dud, Superman Returns, the 75-year-old character hadn’t been doing much lately to earn his fame.

“We’d sort of been out of the Superman toy business for a while. It wasn’t a significant property for us,” says Warner Bros.’ Globe. In fact, Superman’s Q score—the percentage of people who not only know who he is, but who consider him one of their “favorite” superheroes—is only 32 percent, which is pretty low for a man who can outrun a train. He’s better liked (With a Q score of 41) among men aged 18 to 49—but not nearly as much as Batman (45), Spiderman (47), and Iron Man (52). Of course, those guys have benefited from recent Hollywood blockbusters, while Superman has been flying out there on his own.
So, out of the top four heroes, Iron Man is the most popular (52%), followed by Spider-Man (47%), Batman (45%) and Superman bringing up the rear (32%). That confirms that Supes has already been knocked off the list, with the current Big Three consisting of Iron Man, Spider-Man and Batman.

It’s something that’s easy to take for granted, growing up in the United States as a white male, that my cinematic heroes look like me...It’s something that over the course of these ten years, having a certain amount of power over what type of movies are made and what type of actors we hire, I want everybody to have that feeling. We don’t take it for granted that people want to see themselves reflected in our heroes and our characters.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:03 AM   #513
Visualiza
Jimmy Scrambles

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Iron Man is currently the most popular superhero in the world, whether fans want to admit that or not. Even a Business Week article about MOS's marketing campaign pointed out the fact that Iron Man is more popular and better liked than the traditional "big three" heroes. (Superman was fourth on the list.) Iron Man's popularity is not really surprising since Tony Stark and his alter ego have starred in films with a combined $3.9 billion in global ticket sales over the last five years.

It is amazing that Marvel Studios has managed to undermine the long-standing superhero hierarchy in just a few years. The situation won't stay static, as future films will will promote other heroes (and heroines) to elite status. It will be fascinating to see who climbs to the top in the next decade.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...keting-machine
Very interesting to note, however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
We can say that when we have proof that the love affair with iron man isn't really mostly a love affair with RDJ.

I am very curious to see how the character will do once rdj retires from the role? It would almost be like someone taking over as captain jack from Depp at this point i feel.
I do think that this is fair to say. Then again, the same could have been said of James Bond during Connery's heyday, yet that character and franchise has obviously had staying power. Iron Man may very well end up being just that. They had better choose RDJ's replacement carefully.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #514
kedrell
Fork&SpoonOperator

Whoever ends up as the next Iron Man will almost certainly be a sort of sacrificial lamb ala' Lazenby or Routh no matter how well he does the role. I'd give that scenario about a 90% of happening.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #515
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
So, out of the top four heroes, Iron Man is the most popular (52%), followed by Spider-Man (47%), Batman (45%) and Superman bringing up the rear (32%). That confirms that Supes has already been knocked off the list, with the current Big Three consisting of Iron Man, Spider-Man and Batman.
Take Robert Downey Jr. out of the equation and see where Iron Man lands when regarding the top heroes.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #516
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Take Robert Downey Jr. out of the equation and see where Iron Man lands when regarding the top heroes.
It will be the Iron Man of Zur En Arrh, the dude will be 90% in costume kicking ass and Tony will be a very small part of the film.

RDJ made Iron Man and that is a fact. Outside of the community nobody knew him. Batman, Superman, Spiderman even The Hulk will always be recognisable for who they are and not for the actor who portrays them.

Some of them fell into Hell
NosfeRomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #517
brainchild81
THE MASTER BUILDER

Quote:
Cool. Supes never really earned it anyways. He's benefited greatly from being created at a time where there weren't many great characters to compare him to. The new top 3 all earned it by being truly interesting as opposed to just being ”1st”

Under your watch, 50% of marriages end in divorce &the other 50% in death!

Last edited by brainchild81; 06-27-2013 at 04:04 PM.
brainchild81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #518
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainchild81 View Post
Cool. Supes never really earned it anyways. He's benefited greatly from being created at a time where there weren't many great characters to compare him to. The new top 3 all earned it by being truly interesting as opposed to just being ”1st”
Disagree. its just cool to dislike him because he's not broken.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:09 AM   #519
batfreakforever
A real fan

I like both movies. No matter what fans always complain.

batfreakforever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #520
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamteck View Post
Agreed.
Superman's popularity has nothing to do with being "firsties." It has everything to do with being the summit of all our aspirations and dreams of true goodness. Lots of people hate Superman for being the ultimate OP and for being such a damn boy scout, but that's *exactly* what he is, and what appeals to his fans.

As far as ranking Superman with the other heroes in cinema, here's an *accurate* comparison adjusted for inflation:

#27 The Avengers
#29 The Dark Knight
#36 Spider-Man
#50 Batman 89
#55 Spider-Man 2
#63 The Dark Knight Rises
#65 Superman
#93 Iron Man 3

Other than the ultimate "superfriends" movie, it's still a three-man race --- Bats, Spidey, and Supes. Iron Man 3 is still significantly below Donner's Superman in adjusted b.o.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #521
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Agreed.
Superman's popularity has nothing to do with being "firsties." It has everything to do with being the summit of all our aspirations and dreams of true goodness. Lots of people hate Superman for being the ultimate OP and for being such a damn boy scout, but that's *exactly* what he is, and what appeals to his fans.

As far as ranking Superman with the other heroes in cinema, here's an *accurate* comparison adjusted for inflation:

#27 The Avengers
#29 The Dark Knight
#36 Spider-Man
#50 Batman 89
#55 Spider-Man 2
#65 Superman
#93 Iron Man 3

Other than the ultimate "superfriends" movie, it's still a three-man race --- Bats, Spidey, and Supes. Iron Man 3 is still significantly below Donner's Superman in adjusted b.o.

I wouldn't call that especially accurate, because it completely ignores the foreign box office.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #522
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
I wouldn't call that especially accurate, because it completely ignores the foreign box office.

Unfortunately, true; but unfortunately, necessary. The only *truly* accurate way to measure AFI would be to plug in the annual inflation rate of EVERY nation, and there's simply not enough data out there to cover that many countries and that many decades and that many films. So yeah, all AFI stats have always been measured on domestic (US) take, not OS.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #523
brainchild81
THE MASTER BUILDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamteck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Agreed.

#27 The Avengers
#29 The Dark Knight
#36 Spider-Man
#50 Batman 89
#55 Spider-Man 2
#65 Superman
#93 Iron Man 3

I wish they could find a way to do this w/Worldwide gross. That list doesn't really tell me what I want to know.

Lot of generalizations going on here. I can only speak for myself, but I don't think Cap's broken and he's also the biggest boyscout ever. His costume is the American flag. Cap is one of my favorites so the assumptions presented above don't carry that much weight. Maybe some people just consider Supes to be boring, silly & corny like I do

Under your watch, 50% of marriages end in divorce &the other 50% in death!

Last edited by brainchild81; 06-28-2013 at 01:50 PM.
brainchild81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #524
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Besides we are talking about their popularity now. Donner's Superman was 35 years ago when he WAS the most popular hero out there.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #525
xeno000
IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
Besides we are talking about their popularity now. Donner's Superman was 35 years ago when he WAS the most popular hero out there.

Both true. The Q scores I cited are give accurate picture of the current popularity of the major superheroes. Superman is fourth on the list, possibly because he hadn't had a truly successful film outing for over thirty years. With the reboot, such as it is, raising Supes' profile, he should regain some ground.

The question is whether or not Superman can ever regain the top spot as the most-loved superhero. MOS hasn't garnered universal acclaim and it isn't dominating the box office, so its ability to restore the character's popularity to its historic high is debatable.