The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #226
Project862006
Banned User

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

very different joker is a crime boss with henchmen and made to bring anarchy

lex is a public figure

Old 12-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #227
protocida
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
But smaller than BB. Indeed. My point.
No, it was not smaller.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #228
TDK elbowstrike
"I'm a man of my word..."

How about Solomon Grundy being used as one of Lex's henchmen? Not as a teamup, just as a henchman. He should team up with Brainiac or someone like that,but I like the idea of him having a team of meta enforcers; Parasite, Metallo, Solomon Grundy, Bizzarro, or something like that.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #229
ThePhantasm
2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

Everyone keeps talking about an alien invasion being in MOS. What confirmation do we have of this? Are we sure there is an invasion beyond Zod and Faora arriving in a spaceship?

Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | Ɉ |
Old 12-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #230
TheComicbookKid
Swing n Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
I don't think "visual escalation" matters. The focus should always be on making a story that escalates the audience's interest. People didn't love TDK because of the visually striking set pieces, they loved it because The Joker is a great villain and Heath Ledger gave a great performance. That's all anyone talked about. That is the thing that matters. That's why all we need is Lex Luthor given to us by a great actor.
The Joker's visual is an escalation from a white guy with a beard as a villain.

The first image of Heath with the cracked white make-up and red lips was enough to launch a thousand tirades.

Bald headed Lex isn't going to make someone stop in their shoes. MOS is going to sold on Superman and the visuals(ie Snyder). If it gets a sequel with Lex. You have to step it up. Zod is having entire buildings crash behind Perry White.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #231
TheComicbookKid
Swing n Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Everyone keeps talking about an alien invasion being in MOS. What confirmation do we have of this? Are we sure there is an invasion beyond Zod and Faora arriving in a spaceship?
Personally, I just mean the image of ships causing mass damage and buildings crumbling.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #232
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
The Joker's visual is an escalation from a white guy with a beard as a villain.

The first image of Heath with the cracked white make-up and red lips was enough to launch a thousand tirades.

Bald headed Lex isn't going to make someone stop in their shoes. MOS is going to sold on Superman and the visuals(ie Snyder). If it gets a sequel with Lex. You have to step it up. Zod is having entire buildings crash behind Perry White.
Wether or not The Joker was a visual escalation is entirely irrelevant. The visuals aren't what people remember or care about when it came to The Dark Knight. That's not to say that the visuals were bad, simply that they weren't what mattered. What people talked about with The Dark Knight, what they cared about and what made it memorable, were the characters and the performances. Everyone raved about Heath Ledger's performance, not how he looked. "Visual escalation" does not matter. The focus should be on making Lex a strong character, casting an actor who can give a compelling performance, and writing a story that can play to both the character and the actor's strengths and is thematically compelling. Topping the action set pieces from the first film is, at most, a secondary concern.

Last edited by The Question; 12-27-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #233
souperman
Side-Dish

Zod outfit similar to Luthor's from DC Universe?.

maybe explains where Lex got the suit?

No-one stays good in this world...everything's changed...if you seek his monument - look around you - ARGO pick your nits ! I DON'T GET WHY PEOPLE DON'T GET IT...

Last edited by souperman; 12-27-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #234
ThePhantasm
2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

Quote:
Wether or not The Joker was a visual escalation is entirely irrelevant. The visuals aren't what people remember or care about when it came to The Dark Knight. That's not to say that the visuals were bad, simply that they weren't what mattered. What people talked about with The Dark Knight, what they cared about and what made it memorable, were the characters and the performances. Everyone raved about Heath Ledger's performance, not how he looked. "Visual escalation" does not matter. The focus should be on making Lex a strong character, casting an actor who can give a compelling performance, and writing a story that can play to both the character and the actor's strengths and is thematically compelling. Topping the action set pieces from the first film is, at most, a secondary concern.
I absolutely agree. I know people have Lex fatigue from previous films, but they also have yet to see a more serious, formidable incarnation of the character on film IMO.

Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | Ɉ |
Old 12-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #235
sup101
Side-Kick

That look like zod military outfit.It look like he in space because you can see a planet are a moon in the background.

I wonder if he around earth are krypton in that picture.Maybe he looking at krypton destruction, He got a what the hell kinda look on his face, you never know.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #236
chamber-music
Infinity Ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
I absolutely agree. I know people have Lex fatigue from previous films, but they also have yet to see a more serious, formidable incarnation of the character on film IMO.
I agree. As entertaining as Hackman and Spacey were I still don't think we have seen the best of Lex Luthor as a villain in a Superman movie yet.

Lex Luthor is one of the few characters to really get under Superman's skin

Old 12-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #237
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Nothing wrong with using Lex in a sequel as long as he comes with enough Firepower to rival or possibly surpass the threat we will see in MOS.Henchmen like Metallo and parasite arent going to cut it alone-Lex needs something like the entire Superman revenge squad as his firepower.

If they use lex its go big or go home.Im talking All star lex big if they want to justify passing on Braniac-again.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #238
batman44
Go Speed GO

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...is-more-406448

Nolan on Man of Steel, Zack Snyder.

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #239
BestGirl
Chillin' on Dragonstone

Quote:
Except that TDK's action set pieces really did top BB's. There were not only more of them but saving Harvey, the ferries, and the party scene had more tension and urgency than did the main plot in BB.

Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it’s the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters. - Greg Rucka
Old 12-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #240
sup101
Side-Kick

Nolan keep saying Snyder had alot of finishing to do.This movie must be really long and have alot of big scenes.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #241
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Nolabs giving the credit to Zack I hope everyone else does too when this amazing film (I know I havent seen it but i have faith) is released.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #242
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by souperman View Post

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Caution: take a blurry freeze-frame with a grain of salt.

But based on the amount of “hair” that the armored figure appears to have, it might be Faora - not Zod.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #243
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post

But based on the amount of “hair” that the armored figure appears to have, it might be Faora - not Zod.
I've thought that myself especially when you zoom in but it looks like Zods armour.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #244
protocida
Side-Kick

It's Zod.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #245
sup101
Side-Kick

Quote:

That's not faora, she have a long black flowing cape like superman and we don't see a cape.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #246
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I've thought that myself especially when you zoom in but it looks like Zods armour.
Maybe they picked up a his-and-hers ensemble at SuperVillains-R-Us.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #247
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Maybe they picked up a his-and-hers ensemble at SuperVillains-R-Us.

Ha ha you're gonna feel pretty silly if we see a scene of them with matching shopping bags lol

Old 12-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #248
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Nolabs giving the credit to Zack I hope everyone else does too when this amazing film (I know I havent seen it but i have faith) is released.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #249
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Watching Batman Begins, and Batman's first appearance is roughly at the 1 hour mark. I hope same goes for Man of Steel. I also think we are going to have Henry start off the film, traveling the world, working numerous jobs, and every now and then we will have flashbacks to Smallville.

Superhero nerd.
Writer for @GalvNews. Bylines: @WashingtonPost, @BuzzFeed, @MovieViral.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #250
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
I just not sure how you escalate from an alien invasion. It would be like how do make a sequel to Independence day. The freaking White House got blown up.
How about the destruction of a city, Reign of the Supermen-style? One thing that I haven't seen done enough in CBMs is the changing of the status quo in the real world. Like, what would happen if Hong Kong got destroyed, or if half of Australia sunk into the ocean? It was one of the cool things about the prospect of a sequel to SR, seeing how having a new moon (New Krypton) would have affected Earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Completely agree.

Besides, i don't want all the villains to be alien or connected to Krypton or his past. It means he's only protecting people from the dangers he could percieve as his own fault.

We need human threats, we need those visual representations of injustice and corruption to see that Superman is about more than just reacting to threats.

He stands against something constant and deep rooted in our world, and he will spend his whole life fighting against it.
Hm. I've always had trouble imagining an Earth-based threat that is actually worthy of Superman. How would Metallo or Parasite manage to put the whole world in peril, the way Zod appears to be doing in MOS? And even if they did... I've always thought they were so lame, so Smallville-y. Crooked guys, petty thieves mostly, acquiring powers and defying Superman. You have to create Earth-based backstories for them so as to make them movie material, and that seems more of a Spider-Man villain type of thing rather than Superman's. I know aliens can be overkill, but how else to you achieve that larger-than-life feeling you need for the character to stand apart?

I think that human element you speak of... that's what Luthor is there for. He's the worst and at the same time the best that humanity has to offer, and he's a shoo-in for some thematic resonance. But you have to temper that with some coolness, i.e. some aliens.

Last edited by Nemeres; 12-27-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Closed Thread