The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 01:56 PM   #251
Donut
Banned User

Default Re: Michael B Jordan is "Flame On!" The Human Torch - Part 2

I'm looking forward 2 the memes using set pics of this movie with the hatred of this movie should be fun

Old 02-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #252
Spider-Fan
SHHFFL 2014 Champion
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORVONDOOMX View Post
Nope. He's the hero of the story. Heh.
Hahahaha! Touche good sir

Old 02-23-2014, 02:11 PM   #253
VICTORVONDOOMX
Never tell me the odds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
I'm looking forward 2 the memes using set pics of this movie with the hatred of this movie should be fun
Hatred is such an ugly word but I think you may be correct. I was merely disgusted by the first two films but I can see myself truly hating this. It's just so full on "screw you fans I know better."

Old 02-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #254
SuperFerret
King of the Urban Jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
That's my thought....if the movie as now cast does good at the box office......I pity what any future comic movie will look like....because that will be giving the studios the go ahead to change things any way they damn well please.

The ones on here who are all for this change need to remember...if this is accepted...anything from now on can be majorly changed...and the next big change from the source material may be one of their favorites...so I don't want to hear any complaints from them when their favorite character is changed.
I'm confused as to how something as literally superficial as skin tone is a major thing. It's window dressing at most. I mean, we are all the same underneath, right? Just nasty imperfect sacks of meat with different wrappers.

And anything can be majorly changed in any adaption, just look at any adaption.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #255
MakeMinesMarvel
Banned User

Anyways so does anyone remember MBJ from his days as Wallace on The Wire. His ending on that show was a really sad moment even for HBO.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #256
MakeMinesMarvel
Banned User

Also in Chronicle his personality as the star jock in high school but caring personable personality really felt very Johnny Storm like.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #257
VICTORVONDOOMX
Never tell me the odds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
I'm confused as to how something as literally superficial as skin tone is a major thing. It's window dressing at most. I mean, we are all the same underneath, right? Just nasty imperfect sacks of meat with different wrappers.

So T'challa the noble African Prince could be played by Danny DeVito and you'd wait to see the performance before jumping to any conclusions. Great call.

And NO we are not the same underneath. I definitely believe that we should be. But that is in an ideal world that I have not visited. These characters are just that: characters with certain specifics both physical and psychological that are meaningful to people. To change these specifics is to send the message that the film makers don't care what's meaningful to others and that they just care about what's happening inside their own head.
Well **** that.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #258
Human Torch
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
Changing a character's race to show that race doesn't matter shows that it does matter, but this move isn't about that, it's about Josh Trank having a hard on for Michael B Jordan and wanting him for the part no matter what. There wasn't even a script and we already knew he was who Trank wanted from day one. Damn everything else and how little sense it makes and how audiences are naturally going to question the obvious of how Johnny and Sue both have the same parents biologically but couldn't look further apart.
Couldn't agree more.It isn't really about race,when you consider Trank was touting MBJ from day one.He wanted to work with him on a CBM and that's that.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #259
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:

I think Jesse Eisenberg being cast as Lex Luthor is a bigger change to the source character than Jordan being cast as Storm.

If I voiced my displeasure about the eisenberg casting on the batman/superman board as much as some are doing about Jordan here, I'd be literally flamed off the board...no pun intended.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #260
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
I think Jesse Eisenberg being cast as Lex Luthor is a bigger change to the source character than Jordan being cast as Storm.
It's a much bigger change.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #261
Human Torch
Banned User

Quote:
That's my thought....if the movie as now cast does good at the box office......I pity what any future comic movie will look like....because that will be giving the studios the go ahead to change things any way they damn well please.

The ones on here who are all for this change need to remember...if this is accepted...anything from now on can be majorly changed...and the next big change from the source material may be one of their favorites...so I don't want to hear any complaints from them when their favorite character is changed.
Yup.I'm thinking most of the people posting aren't old enough to remember the "Dark Ages" of CBM.

Want a CBM?You've got Superman III and IV,The 90's Captain America (with plastic surgery covered Italian,Red Skull) And if you're lucky,we'll throw in Steel.Don't like 'em?That's all you're getting.You think you have a say?Go watch 'em,and be glad you have any CBM to watch.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #262
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post

Old 02-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #263
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Quote:

I remember back in 2005, people complained that Chris Evans' hair wasn't light enough. And he was blond.

You honestly would expect fans to have no problem with Johnny Storm being black?

Old 02-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #264
SentinelMind
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I still haven't seen X Men origins Wolverine. Nor the Wolverine for that matter.
I'm pretty big on superhero flicks, but I haven't seen any of the Fantastic Four movies, X-men 3, last Punisher movie, last Ghost Rider, any of the Blade movies, The Wolverine, nor Thor The Dark World. I may eventually see X-men 3 and The Wolverine on Netflix before Days of Future Past if I have time or think its necessary.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #265
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentinelMind View Post
I'm pretty big on superhero flicks, but I haven't seen any of the Fantastic Four movies, X-men 3, last Punisher movie, last Ghost Rider, any of the Blade movies, The Wolverine, nor Thor The Dark World. I may eventually see X-men 3 and The Wolverine on Netflix before Days of Future Past if I have time or think its necessary.
I think most of those are worth your time. The FF movies and X3 aren't unwatchable. And the Wolverine and Thor 2 are quite good.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #266
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Your point is easily said when it is a white character being changed...because the common thought today is that the white characters have had their time and there are already a lot more of them than the minority characters...so they are fair game to change. But if it was a minority character being changed, then I dare say it would be a different story. I still strongly say....I want to see Black Panther, Falcon, Static Shock, Blade, etc in their own big budget movies starring black actors as them. I do not want to see white actors in those roles....

Quote:
Absolutely.....

Catwoman was majorly changed from the comic character...how did that movie do? How was it received by fans?

Steel was majorly changed from the comic....how did that movie do? How was it received by fans?

Captain America TV movies were majorly changed from the comic....how did they do? How was it received by fans?

Quote:
Don't be a goddamn idiot.
There is absolutely no call for that.....there are a lot of us in here who are on absolute opposite sides of the issue but we are doing our best to not resort to rude name calling and offensive language.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:33 PM   #267
SentinelMind
Banned User

Quote:

Human Torch and Invisible Woman are likely no longer biologically related (maybe half siblings, but even I think that will be a huge stretch...look at them). The different race and possibly being step siblings changes some components of their character (not saying this is a good or bad thing, just that it does change it).

Hiring an actor for Reed Richards that looks younger Human Torch seems ridiculous to me.

This movie feels more Teen Titans than Fantastic Four.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #268
VICTORVONDOOMX
Never tell me the odds!

I love when people can't admit when they are being small minded and crass.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #269
SuperFerret
King of the Urban Jungle

Quote:
Your point is easily said when it is a white character being changed...because the common thought today is that the white characters have had their time and there are already a lot more of them than the minority characters...so they are fair game to change. But if it was a minority character being changed, then I dare say it would be a different story. I still strongly say....I want to see Black Panther, Falcon, Static Shock, Blade, etc in their own big budget movies starring black actors as them. I do not want to see white actors in those roles....
Those characters are fair game because they are white by default. Honestly, I've thought about this, and literally ANY character I can think of that does not express a ethnicity or nationality as an integral part of their character is fair game for change. It's just that minority characters should be changed with more caution due to poor representation.

Quote:
Absolutely.....

Catwoman was majorly changed from the comic character...how did that movie do? How was it received by fans?

Steel was majorly changed from the comic....how did that movie do? How was it received by fans?

Captain America TV movies were majorly changed from the comic....how did they do? How was it received by fans?
So then this movie will fail. We'll survive.

Quote:
There is absolutely no call for that.....there are a lot of us in here who are on absolute opposite sides of the issue but we are doing our best to not resort to rude name calling and offensive language.
I apologize for being rude to the person who does not seem to be able accept that black people and white people are the same.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #270
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

A reminder to everyone....there is no need for name calling or insults...we are trying to discuss an issue....not be playground bullies.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #271
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Are you talking about the major changes to Catwoman in Batman Returns? Cause I think that was well loved and successful. Or are you talking about the major changes to Catwoman in the Adam West tv show? Because I believe that was also well loved and successful.

Unless you're talking about Halle Berry's Catwoman, in which case that was just a poor film, whether they changed things or not.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #272
SentinelMind
Banned User

Quote:
I apologize for being rude to the person who does not seem to be able accept that black people and white people are the same.
Changing race does change character history though...

Old 02-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #273
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Catwoman didn't fail because she was black. It failed because it was a crappy film.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #274
SuperFerret
King of the Urban Jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentinelMind View Post
Changing race does change character history though...
How so? I can't imagine that Johnny Storm being black would change his history enough to warrant a change in the story. As far as I know, this movie isn't going to be set in 1963.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #275
echostation
Banned User

I will not see film now due to dumb comment by this iktor. People will see it as is. What ****. Why he'll stupid answer like this man. Make real no sense. Bresumpsthun. I now will wait for tv arrival

Closed Thread