The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Microsoft

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 09:32 AM   #76
Joe Von Zombie
Unite the Seven

Default Re: Scalebound

Microsoft has really dropped the ball with its exclusives this generation, when the best games exclusive to your platform are racing games, you're in trouble.

There is a huge difference between "I want to honor my loved ones" and "I hate criminals, and want to punish them".

That difference is called "Batman".- The Guard
Old 01-10-2017, 11:46 AM   #77
XtremelyBaneful
XOTWOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
To be honest the game looked pretty mediocre IMO. I'm surprised it got cancelled, but on the bright side it means that main character is dead.
what we saw was an alpha build though. if this game lived to see the light of day it might've turned out much better.

Indeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy Magician View Post
'you know what let this discussion go.'
Haha
Old 01-11-2017, 04:35 AM   #78
zenith16
Side-Kick

More comments from Kamiya and it's the undeleted and rational variety. It's shame really I'd have liked to see this go to the other platforms and see micro soft reaction if it did well, with out them .

Xbox One, PC
Scalebound director Hideki Kamiya comments on cancellation
Published 2 hours ago. 43 comments.
Quote:
Plus the official memo from Platinum Games.

Hideki Kamiya, who was the director of the recently cancelled Scalebound for Xbox One and PC, has taken to Twitter to comment on the game’s cancellation.
“As you may have already heard, Scalebound has unfortunately been canceled,” Kamiya said in a tweet. “I’m very sorry to everyone who was looking forward to this game.”
He continued, “Sorry to bring you such bad news at the start of the year. All I can do for you is to promise to keep delivering fun games.”

Kamiya promised to not let something like this happen again. “I’ll work extra hard to never have to let you down like this again, so I hope you will keep watching over us in the future too.”

The director also commented on rumors that he had taken time off from work for his mental health. He said, “And…I took time off for my mental health? …Me!? No way.”

In related news, Platinum Games posted its own note of Scalebound‘s cancellation on its official blog today. Here it is in full:
We’re sorry to say that on January 9, 2017, Microsoft Studios announced the cancellation of Scalebound. We are very disappointed things ended up this way, especially since we know many of our fans were looking forward to this game as much as we were.
Going forward, we will strive to continue delivering high-quality games to you, starting with NieR: Automata in March, and including products like Granblue Fantasy Project Re:Link and Lost Order in the future.
We will keep working hard to meet your expectations and we look forward to your continued support!
President and CEO
Kenichi Sato

Read More

PC, Xbox One, Hideki Kamiya, Microsoft, Platinum Games, RPG, Scalebound

source: Gematsu

Old 01-11-2017, 06:11 AM   #79
Nathan

This is a goddamn shame. This was one of the games I was really looking forward to, even if we knew little about it. Platinum Games, Dragons and a DMC-like protagonist? This had the potential to be a lot of fun. I hope they'll eventually reveal who actually holds the rights to the IP. I pray Kamiya made sure to secure those. This was basically a passion project for Kamiya, since he wanted to make a game with Dragons, even before they released the first Bayonetta.

And even if Microsoft holds the rights to the IP, I hope Kamiya can go to Sony and pull a Death Stranding.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:18 AM   #80
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
To be honest the game looked pretty mediocre IMO. I'm surprised it got cancelled, but on the bright side it means that main character is dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremelyBaneful View Post
what we saw was an alpha build though. if this game lived to see the light of day it might've turned out much better.
It seems there was a better version out there. Of course Microsoft made sure to never show it to the public.

Quote:
Scalebound’s troubles were visible in its two-sided previews

E3 and Gamescom demos had warning signs that all was not well on Platinum & Microsoft’s RPG project.

Last night some disappointing news got out: Scalebound, Microsoft and Platinum’s venture into the RPG, is dead. Microsoft didn’t really give a real reasoning for the cancellation, though sources told those who broke the story that there’d been severe development difficulties and a communication breakdown.

That’s a great shame, obviously, but as somebody who sat through several press conference showings of the game and had two private meetings with director Hideki Kamiya over the course of Scalebound’s lengthy development, part of me isn’t all that surprised. It seemed to me for a while that there were almost two Scalebounds: The one that Kamiya had dreamed of making, and the one Microsoft wanted him to make. At the time you give these things the benefit of the doubt and assume they’ll all pull together since they often do – but in this instance they failed to.

“Weirdly, every single closed-doors demo of Scalebound was like a different game,” I tweeted in the wake of the announcement. What I meant by this, I went on to explain, was that in private demos it just looked like a more cohesive, proper video game, and one the developers had a great deal of passion for.

On stage, Microsoft always chose to present the game in what I thought was a strange light. It seemed as though they wanted to lean on Platinum and Kamiya’s action credentials, which makes sense. The problem with that is Scalebound seemed to be far more besides.

The strangest and weakest showing came during an E3 stage demo in 2016, where the game was shown running a confusing-looking boss tackled with four players in online co-op play. It wasn’t the worst demo of the conference (hello, Final Fantasy 15) but it was fairly underwhelming.

Heavily-briefed developers kept banging on about the ‘scale’ of the boss fight over and over again, something which smacked of the rehearsed PR lines to me. Scale is what Platinum is known for, they’d say. It’s epic, it’s crazy, it’s action-packed, and this is just a taster.

The thing is… Scalebound seemed like a lot more than that whenever I saw it in a less public setting. At the last couple of Gamescom shows I was able to step into closed-doors meetings with Hideki Kamiya and JP Kellams, two key staff on the game, and the demos they gave showed a greater breadth of content than an action co-op game.

I remember glimpses and teases of a proper RPG-like world to explore, with NPCs, towns and quest-givers. I remember seeing a Resident Evil style Tetris-inventory system, which is always exciting. There were sections of the game where player and dragon would be split up, testing the player’s abilities. The focus of the last presentation I saw was on the game’s character progression system, which had an interesting little twist to the RPG traditions.

The main character would evolve along a set path so he had skills and abilities that matched his design and personality, but to have a full level of practically Bethesda-level character customisation besides that Scalebound would use its dragon companion. Having less of a set template than the player character you could remove or swap out body parts with some hokey in-lore explanation about DNA or equip gear, all of which would change the dragon’s abilities.

It was a cool looking system, and in that demo I watched Kamiya swap out large wings for smaller wings that offer less flight but free up the ability to put on more attack-focused body parts and so on. It was a system that intrigued me and seemed to have some proper RPG depth, especially when paired with how the dragon seemed to have a mind and AI of his own that at least partially now calls to mind Trico. Except, y’know, more of an aggressive killer.

I really liked a lot of what was on show. In a sense it gave me some Dragon’s Dogma vibes – it was a big budget Japanese game trying to do something different with the RPG genre without being too shackled to an existing series, too obsessed with the West’s successful RPGs or indeed both all at once. I liked it.

The thing that remains weird to me is that very little of this kind of thing was shown to the public – it was reserved for behind-closed-doors for media to write about and never released in a video form or what have you. I got used to having to defend Scalebound when it came up in conversation. ‘I know the stage demos were crap, but the closed doors ones were amazing, trust me,’ I’d plead. Interest in the game remained tepid, in part thanks to those poor showings.

Kamiya himself has taken issue with how Microsoft marketed Scalebound in the past – “I don’t like their marketing,” he revealed on twitter at the end of August 2014, presumably with that year’s Gamescom fresh in memory, and I’m inclined to agree.

Basically, what was shown in high-profile demos and trailers of Scalebound was never remotely as good-looking or as interesting as the stuff Microsoft repeatedly decided to show in intimate press meetings. They practically felt like two different games, a loud, brash action game in one instance and a more thoughtful, explorative RPG in another. The truth was somewhere in the middle, it seems, and nobody was fully satisfied.

“Those ****s at MS… are they ****ing with me?” the famously-outspoken Kamiya tweeted in July 2015. This probably should’ve been a bigger warning sign, but Kamiya is famed for his twitter outbursts, so nobody seemed too concerned.

This was a little after an E3 Gamescom skipped and not long before a Gamescom where Scalebound would demo. The publicly-released trailer there was one of the best the game saw, but was still action-focused, and again the live demo given by Kamiya in a private room on Microsoft’s stand that year was far more interesting and exciting.

So… one has to wonder what happened. There was a breakdown of communication, clearly, but I also think it likely that ultimately Microsoft and Platinum wanted two very different things out of Scalebound. That may well be what killed the project, and that’s a shame, since the game I saw behind-closed-doors looked really exciting. Hopefully some of the ideas from it will resurface elsewhere.
Source

Old 01-11-2017, 08:58 PM   #81
Sithborg
The new ewoks

That is really too bad. Sounds like we didn't even see the good game. And Microsoft wanted something completely different than what was being delivered.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:48 AM   #82
zenith16
Side-Kick

"I know we have to take risks" - Xbox boss Phil Spencer after Scalebound's cancellation

9 hours ago
comments 5

Update January 12, 2017: Xbox boss Phil Spencer has been replying to fans on Twitter about the cancellation of Scalebound, as concerns mount about...
Read more

source: PCGN

Old 01-15-2017, 05:39 PM   #83
Dugath
Side-Kick

For me personally I had no interest in this game.

But the cancellation does suck for those looking forward to it.
I hope this does not hurt the Xbox too much but I really do see a lack of depth to some good games this year, especially exclusives.

When they talk about their other "2017" exclusives again, I have no real interest in those games either.

I always had a dislike the Playstation's but I do admire their exclusives.

MS really has to step up. Sometimes I think they focus too much on integrating the Xbox with PC's. "Play this game on Xbox, then go play it on PC" Maybe instead of getting the Scorpio I should just go grab a Power House PC or Gaming Laptop.

Hopefully Mass Effect will keep me occupied for some time . (and South Park)

Old 01-15-2017, 07:25 PM   #84
X Knight
Silent Guardian

was the project that bad or that much in the hole or that behind schedule that they had to scrap it?

why not just delay it longer? position it as a Scorpio launch title to show off the extra power of the new console?

We waited 10 years for FF XV to come out and a long time for Last Guardian.

I know companies don't have unlimited time and resources.

but was the project that bad that they had to cancel it entirely? That just seems like such a waste.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:41 PM   #85
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
was the project that bad or that much in the hole or that behind schedule that they had to scrap it?

why not just delay it longer? position it as a Scorpio launch title to show off the extra power of the new console?

We waited 10 years for FF XV to come out and a long time for Last Guardian.

I know companies don't have unlimited time and resources.

but was the project that bad that they had to cancel it entirely? That just seems like such a waste.
The problem seemed to be between the director and Microsoft. Microsoft wanted one game, the director wanted another.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:49 PM   #86
X Knight
Silent Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
The problem seemed to be between the director and Microsoft. Microsoft wanted one game, the director wanted another.
yeah. and if that's the case, I blame MS. based on what was posted above and elsewhere, it looks like what the director wanted ( more RPG elements ) was far more interesting that than the MP, co-op focused game MS wanted.

the question then arises, who now owns/controls the IP?

Old 01-16-2017, 07:30 AM   #87
Nathan

I seriously hope Kamiya managed to secure the rights. As I mentioned earlier, a game with Dragons is something he wanted to make, even before the first Bayonetta. It's his brainchild. So if Microsoft comes out and say they now own the IP, they are even bigger ***holes than I thought they were.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:01 AM   #88
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

I hope the IP stays with the developer, but if not I wouldn't mind a Kickstarter funded game "inspired" by elements of this one (I know Mighty No. 9 happened).

Old 01-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #89
Joe Von Zombie
Unite the Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
I hope the IP stays with the developer, but if not I wouldn't mind a Kickstarter funded game "inspired" by elements of this one (I know Mighty No. 9 happened).
I hate Mighty Number 9 for what is done to the public perception of crowdfunded projects.

Wasteland 2, Divinity: Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity and countless other quality projects were made possible because of it.

There is a huge difference between "I want to honor my loved ones" and "I hate criminals, and want to punish them".

That difference is called "Batman".- The Guard
Old 01-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #90
Tron Bonne
All Ass, No Sass
SHH! Moderator

Total bummer. I'm sure it would have been interesting at the very least.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:08 PM   #91
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Good luck!

Earlier this year, the highly anticipated Xbox One and PC via Windows 10 game from Platinum Games, Scalebound, was officially canceled in a statement from Microsoft. Platinum Games apologized for the cancellation and we haven't heard too much since then.
Though the recently released NieR: Automata is pretty incredible, it appears as though Platinum Games is not done taking hits. Producer JP Kellams has decided to leave Platinum Games after having been involved with Scalebound's production since its pitch to Microsoft.
"15 years ago, I came to Japan to fulfill my childhood dream of making games with my heroes," Kellams wrote on Instagram. "No matter how hard the day, I always walked into the office in awe of the creativity around me, and with the joy that working with each and every one of my coworkers brought me. It is hard to say goodbye to them, to PlatinumGames, and to Japan. Yet, embracing new challenges is part of my DNA, and after almost 10 years of working with the team (more with my Capcom/Clover days), it is time to move on to new challenges that I'm excited to share soon. I'll be forever grateful to all people who have touched this journey, because they've shaped who I am."
It's unclear if the cancellation of Scalebound had any sway on Kellams' decision to leave Platinum Games or if it was simply time to move on.
Either way, best of luck to Kellams on his future endeavors.
[Gamespot]

IN THIS ARTICLE

Tags:
SCALEBOUND

Source: http://www.gamezone.com/

Old 05-18-2017, 12:51 PM   #92
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:

So, you're telling me there's a chance...

Earlier this year Microsoft announced that Scalebound, the game that had been in development in partnership with PlatinumGames, had been canceled. After the announcement was made public, the Producer behind Scalebound at PlatinumGames decided to leave the development studio.
While there has been relative silence on the game since that announcement, Microsoft has made an interesting move - they renewed the Scalebound trademark (via NeoGaf). Now, since they own the IP they could simply be protecting it - but there's a chance they decided to revive it... right?
The game and artbook still exist on Amazon, surely that means something (grasping at straws here)?
Let the emotional roller coaster begin.

Shortly after the cancellation of Scalebound, Xbox Head Phil Spencer, spoke out on the game, calling the cancellation a "difficult decision," but that it was the better choice for Xbox gamers. Spencer even went on to say that Xbox had to "take risks" after Scalebound's cancellation... Maybe that risk was bringing it back with another studio?

N THIS ARTICLE

Tags:
XBOX ONE

source: http://www.gamezone.com/

Old 05-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #93
X Knight
Silent Guardian

hmmmmm............

Old 05-18-2017, 01:57 PM   #94
Iceman
Infinity War!

I'll wait till the game is out before I give that a second thought.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #95
Nathan

Someone mentioned it's probably just to prevent someone like Sony to snatch up all the assets and release it on PS4. The trademark will probably just keep getting renewed, without the game ever seeing the light of day.

Last edited by Nathan; 05-18-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #96
X Knight
Silent Guardian

I still standby that Scalebound would have been the perfect launch/showcase title for Scorpio.

so, it's a huge missed opportunity if they simply let this languish in limbo.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #97
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Time for a Kickstarter spiritual successor.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:40 PM   #98
Jick
Auxiliary Assistant

Man, this game was looking so awesome. It's the kind of game that could make me buy an X-Box console for the first time...and it gets cancelled.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:36 AM   #99
Iceman
Infinity War!

This and Fable Legends could have been made into solid projects in the right hands. Even if costs were spiralling a salvage job could have been done to recoup some cost and save face (and not let down fans) if Microsoft had the right people. Bit concerning if they don't!

Old 06-15-2017, 07:04 AM   #100
zenith16
Side-Kick

Scalebound was killed by hype, suggests Xbox boss Phil Spencer

12 hours ago

After Microsoft's sudden cancellation of PlatinumGames' Scalebound, there was little fanfare surrounding the decision to solace disappointed fans....Read more

source: PCGN

Closed Thread