The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 09:08 AM   #151
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Galactus and the Silver Surfer are more important to Marvel going forward because of the growing emphasis on Cosmic Marvel. Those two characters would allow Marvel go really deep into their cosmic lore in a way that no others could.
True, but Dr. Doom is, quite simply, the most iconic Marvel villain of all time.

I just did a quick Google search and these are the first three results that came up.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/...arvel-villains

http://www.newsarama.com/18986-the-d...-villains.html

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profi...illains/49380/

All three have Doom as the #1 villain.

Doom in the Marvel world is to villains what Spider-Man is to heroes. And in many ways, he's even more important than Spider-Man.

It's a general truism that a story is only as good as its villain. And no matter who your favorite Marvel characters are, chance are they've mixed it up with Doom at one time or another.

Without Doom, there is a huge, glaring, gaping hole in the MCU.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:20 AM   #152
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Default Re: The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyfeddRex View Post
Kirby, sans the pipe though.
No, thats Stan. This is a young Jack Kirby:

Old 05-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #153
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post

I didn't think the other one looked like Kirby.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:28 AM   #154
GoblinScrier
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
True, but Dr. Doom is, quite simply, the most iconic Marvel villain of all time.

I just did a quick Google search and these are the first three results that came up.

Doom in the Marvel world is to villains what Spider-Man is to heroes. And in many ways, he's even more important than Spider-Man.

It's a general truism that a story is only as good as its villain. And no matter who your favorite Marvel characters are, chance are they've mixed it up with Doom at one time or another.

Exactly my point! Doom is more important than most of the MCU...there is a reason he is usually at the center of a lot of important events...he was the inspiration for Darth Vader...not having Doom leaves a LARGE gap...imagine Latveria and Doom as focal points over the years to come...it would be gloriously epic.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:38 AM   #155
Spiderine
Sho nuff

Quote:

And no other villain in marvel lore has had the impact that Doom has on all the major heroes currently in the MCU. There is more history. People keep coming here saying FF arent that important right now. That may be slightly true but those supporting characters sure as hell are moving forward. And if they want to expand the cosmic side they sure could use them immediately following Thanos.

How do you go from Thanos to Norman Osborn? And thats assuming they could even use Norman as a stand alone MCU villain because of Sony.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #156
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderine View Post
And no other villain in marvel lore has had the impact that Doom has on all the major heroes currently in the MCU. There is more history. People keep coming here saying FF arent that important right now. That may be slightly true but those supporting characters sure as hell are moving forward. And if they want to expand the cosmic side they sure could use them immediately following Thanos.

How do you go from Thanos to Norman Osborn? And thats assuming they could even use Norman as a stand alone MCU villain because of Sony.
And Doom is a great character particularly in this cosmic universe because he has no powers, just his mind, and he's an earthling. So if he goes up against someone like Thanos or Galactus we have to grudgingly root for him.

There's so much they could do with him if they had the character, and it's so frustrating to think how horribly he has been wasted at Fox.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #157
DawnWarrior
Questioner of Authority

Quote:
And Doom is a great character particularly in this cosmic universe because he has no powers, just his mind, and he's an earthling. So if he goes up against someone like Thanos or Galactus we have to grudgingly root for him.

There's so much they could do with him if they had the character, and it's so frustrating to think how horribly he has been wasted at Fox.
He does if you count his expertise in the mystic arts, same as Doctor Strange. But yes, all true.

VIDEO: Just how old are the X-Men in the movies? A Mathematical Analysis
Old 05-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #158
terry78
Will you shut up?!

Doom is a mad scientist, but he's like one of the few characters that has no problem using magic and modern day science in tandem. Which makes him a deadly foe.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #159
ADollarADay
Side-Kick

Here's a random question, if VR takes off (including in the movie theater) and audiences start wanting to go to movies where the movie is more interactive, maybe a 360° movie theater and/or some 4D features like what they have at the theme parks, then who would own the rights to those? Because it would be a mash between gaming (Marvel owns the rights) and Live Action (Fox/Sony/Universal (distribution) owns the rights).

Old 05-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #160
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADollarADay View Post
Here's a random question, if VR takes off (including in the movie theater) and audiences start wanting to go to movies where the movie is more interactive, maybe a 360° movie theater and/or some 4D features like what they have at the theme parks, then who would own the rights to those? Because it would be a mash between gaming (Marvel owns the rights) and Live Action (Fox/Sony/Universal (distribution) owns the rights).
Marvel already tried that with "The Marvel Experience" a couple of years ago. It was not successful.

https://apnews.com/9e760c08a32e41dca...mer-tour-short

Old 05-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #161
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Marvel Live is coming back though .

- CM Punk
Old 05-20-2017, 09:30 PM   #162
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post

Kirby looks like he walked straight out of a film noir classic. One could imagine him calling Barbara Stanwyck "baby" and plotting to off her husband for insurance money.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:10 PM   #163
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Kirby looks like he walked straight out of a film noir classic. One could imagine him calling Barbara Stanwyck "baby" and plotting to off her husband for insurance money.
He kind of looks like James Cagney.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:28 PM   #164
jaymes_e06
Super Member pun intended

Kind of? They look like they were separated at birth.

THEPro cras tinator
Site: https://hampton6blog.wordpress.com/
Old 05-20-2017, 11:35 PM   #165
terry78
Will you shut up?!

Kirby didn't take no guff from no dizzy broad in a skirt.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:55 AM   #166
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Kirby didn't take no guff from no dizzy broad in a skirt.

Last edited by Willie Lumpkin; 05-21-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:24 AM   #167
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Marvel could make a film where Jack Kirby is plotting with a femme fatale to kill Stan Lee or Steve Ditko.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:53 AM   #168
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

http://www.gamezone.com/news/stan-le...marvel-3453763

From Stan Lee:

"We should have all of our characters under Marvel," Lee stated. "Remind me on my way home to do something about that. We'll do our best." He said smiling as the crowd applauded.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:00 AM   #169
jaymes_e06
Super Member pun intended

I love Stan....

But he has zero control over that.

THEPro cras tinator
Site: https://hampton6blog.wordpress.com/
Old 05-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #170
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
http://www.gamezone.com/news/stan-le...marvel-3453763

From Stan Lee:

"We should have all of our characters under Marvel," Lee stated. "Remind me on my way home to do something about that. We'll do our best." He said smiling as the crowd applauded.
I think the biggest takeaway from that interview was the following:

It was also hinted at that a major new character will appear in Avengers: Infinity War. When asked if he could give us any details, his assistant whispered in his ear and told him he can't discuss it in-depth. He said that a new character (maybe even multiple) would appear and it would please the fans.

If it is multiple characters, Lee could be talking about Carol Danvers and Mar-Vell. But we know that Feige has been trying to get Galactus and the Surfer back for 6 years. And their appearance would certainly please the fans.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:27 AM   #171
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
I think the biggest takeaway from that interview was the following:

It was also hinted at that a major new character will appear in Avengers: Infinity War. When asked if he could give us any details, his assistant whispered in his ear and told him he can't discuss it in-depth. He said that a new character (maybe even multiple) would appear and it would please the fans.

If it is multiple characters, Lee could be talking about Carol Danvers and Mar-Vell. But we know that Feige has been trying to get Galactus and the Surfer back for 6 years. And their appearance would certainly please the fans.
There's no real comment if it's an 'unexpected' major new character. Carol Danvers or Adam Warlock would probably both qualify as major new characters, but we also know they're both on the way.

I would hope that it's someone we don't already expect.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:31 AM   #172
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
I love Stan....

But he has zero control over that.
It was obviously a joke, but every time I hear a major player - like James Gunn or Kevin Feige or Scott Derrickson or Peyton Reed ... or Stan Lee - mention it, it reinforces the idea that there is hope and they haven't just been forgotten and left to rot with Fox.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:22 AM   #173
Crimz
Side-Kick

When Marvel gets the FF back, I wonder how much money they would commit to the franchise. After Fox's failed attempts I hope Marvel wouldn't be too cautious to give it the budget it needs.

I also think that a mix of practical effects and CGI are provide the best effects for the FF, but that would also be expensive.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #174
terry78
Will you shut up?!

I feel like they owe the FF in a sense to be back in Marvel's wheelhouse. Hell, Stan and Kirby both are owed a decent adaptation, I don't care.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:44 AM   #175
DyfeddRex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
When Marvel gets the FF back, I wonder how much money they would commit to the franchise. After Fox's failed attempts I hope Marvel wouldn't be too cautious to give it the budget it needs.

I also think that a mix of practical effects and CGI are provide the best effects for the FF, but that would also be expensive.
They come home, Marvel might just pull out all the stops, for it all, big time score, big songs, big cgi budget, big name stars, proven directors, and one hell of a screenplay you know they have a rough draft of in some secret corner of Feige's desk. And, if they could, I think they will try to do it before Stan is gone, even if they have to go to fox and say "One shot deal, a tribute to stan, we make the FF, you distribute it."

And one teaser trailer would do it for us fanboys, on all sides. "This one is for Stan, Jack, (add in every other one of the ff artists/writers/editors over the years we already lost). For one movie, the hatchet is buried."
Just to honor them, the fans of the comics would come out, but it better be damned good if they do that, and preferably before stan is gone.

Closed Thread