The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Supergirl

Old 05-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #1
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Default Season Three: Tell them what ya want?

Seems that the last episode thread has turned into a wants and needs for Season 3 so let's move that topic to this thread.

For me....pretty simple!

Far more Supergirl kicking ass, and I would like to see Supergirl helping out everyday people. I don't need full episodes of it, just helping a kid out being bullied at school, etc. But.... MORE KARA/SUPERGIRL less relationship emo-drama.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Default Re: Season Three: Tell them what ya want?

Tell 'em what ya want, what ya really really want.

Cat Grant back full time in the cast. That one seems to be coming true though.

James gone or downgraded to recurring instead of regular.

A new cape for Superman.

Lena to stay on the path of good.

Better balance between the DEO and CatCo/ Kara's journalism.

No more Guardian.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Unrealistic wants:

- Maggie written out
- James written out
- Mon El written out

Now the realistic wants:

- Tone down the relationship stuff, just let Alex and Maggie be a couple without forcing drama
- More focus on Kara
- Superman to come back for two or three episodes including one with Lex Luthor
- Less Aliens, I don't mind that aliens exist in this world but it's quite ridiculous that they just seem to walk about and congregate at a bar
- James joins the DEO. At least then as Guardian he won't be quite as ridiculous.
- Create some new villains, surely they can brainstorm and come up with some new villains without stealing all Superman's.
- Other DC characters guest starring.

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:12 PM   #4
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

More focus on Kara, especially with her journalism, her childhood flashbacks, and her friendship with Lena Luthor.

An new upgraded costume for Superman.

Supergirl building a superhero community in her own universe.

Explore more DEO headquarters worldwide.

Build a stronger rogues gallery.

Some time traveling with Legion of Superheroes and multiverse stuff with Power Girl.

vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:15 PM   #5
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

I want more interactions with Winn and Cat. It was great to see them together again in the penultimate episode.

Also less of the alien bar. That was boring.

Oh, and I wouldn't mind another appearance of Italia Ricci. She's very pretty. But her Silver Banshee outfit wasn't so great, and she's tied up with Designated Survivor. But still, more of her is always a good thing.

Last edited by Dark Raven; 05-19-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:37 PM   #6
TheRedWraith
DCEU Fan

Introduce Captain Atom as a government backed superhero, because the US government (and every other) can't be pleased that their fate rests in the hands of someone other than their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
There are many times where I bite my tongue on these forums. Most of the time, engaging in a back and forth simply isn't worth the effort.
TheRedWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:08 PM   #7
Robert_Anthony
Side-Kick

What I want MORE of...

Kara and Alex time. Melissa and Chyler are IMHO TV's best dynamic duo and they love each other like real sisters and Melissa is even a part of Chyler's real family (I hear her kids call her Aunty Melissa...AWWWW!)

More ass kicking, but also get the guys in on it...EQUALITY y'know.

More easter eggs and old school shout outs to all things geek...they just add to the fun.

Maybe one or two more Kevin Smith episodes...one of them, Supergirl Lives is SOLIDLY in my top 5 this season.

What I want to see

Maybe a slight alteration to Melissa's super suit...like yellow/gold trim on the boots which are way cool by the way. That's all...The S is uniquely Supergirl's

Make sure the show REMAINS titled Supergirl

But make sure she STARTS OFF the next crossover.

Have some guests heroes like say Mary Marvel...or bring back Miss Martian

Maybe have an episode dealing with a subject like autism...Chyler's son is on the spectrum...and bullying associated sadly with it. I think a title for this would be...The Puzzle, named for the logo used by Autism Speaks, an organization dealing with people on the spectrum...I should know. I am Autistic, mildly, myself.

Quote:
Lena to stay on the path of good.
I hope so too, Dark Raven.

Supergirl has had two Thanksgiving episodes...IT'S TIME FOR AN UPGRADE TO CHRISTMAS. Oh and have a scene where SG fills in for Santa at a mall and has a sleighful of fun with the kids. Just a chance to see Melissa really be cute without acting cute. I think she'd make a super mom too given how the kids love her.

Quote:
just let Alex and Maggie be a couple without forcing drama
I would concur on that BH/HHH

What I want less of...

One word...GUARDIAN.

Also I am in agreement with some of the posts regarding getting emo and focusing on relationships. THIS IS NOT A SOAP OPERA!

And...you know I am gonna say it...MUCH MUCH MUCH LESS POLITICS! The elections are OVER...and progressives in media and entertainment need to GET OVER IT or there may be less people tuning in. The show is SUPERGIRL, not LAW AND ORDER/SVU or CSI or CRIMINAL MINDS, and it had also better not be called supersnowflake!

Andrew Breitbart, internet journalism pioneer (1969-2012)
Robert_Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:32 PM   #8
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Anthony View Post
What I want MORE of...

Kara and Alex time. Melissa and Chyler are IMHO TV's best dynamic duo and they love each other like real sisters and Melissa is even a part of Chyler's real family (I hear her kids call her Aunty Melissa...AWWWW!)

More ass kicking, but also get the guys in on it...EQUALITY y'know.

More easter eggs and old school shout outs to all things geek...they just add to the fun.

Maybe one or two more Kevin Smith episodes...one of them, Supergirl Lives is SOLIDLY in my top 5 this season.

What I want to see

Maybe a slight alteration to Melissa's super suit...like yellow/gold trim on the boots which are way cool by the way. That's all...The S is uniquely Supergirl's

Make sure the show REMAINS titled Supergirl

But make sure she STARTS OFF the next crossover.

Have some guests heroes like say Mary Marvel...or bring back Miss Martian

Maybe have an episode dealing with a subject like autism...Chyler's son is on the spectrum...and bullying associated sadly with it. I think a title for this would be...The Puzzle, named for the logo used by Autism Speaks, an organization dealing with people on the spectrum...I should know. I am Autistic, mildly, myself.

I hope so too, Dark Raven.

Supergirl has had two Thanksgiving episodes...IT'S TIME FOR AN UPGRADE TO CHRISTMAS. Oh and have a scene where SG fills in for Santa at a mall and has a sleighful of fun with the kids. Just a chance to see Melissa really be cute without acting cute. I think she'd make a super mom too given how the kids love her.

I would concur on that BH/HHH

What I want less of...

One word...GUARDIAN.

Also I am in agreement with some of the posts regarding getting emo and focusing on relationships. THIS IS NOT A SOAP OPERA!

And...you know I am gonna say it...MUCH MUCH MUCH LESS POLITICS! The elections are OVER...and progressives in media and entertainment need to GET OVER IT or there may be less people tuning in. The show is SUPERGIRL, not LAW AND ORDER/SVU or CSI or CRIMINAL MINDS, and it had also better not be called supersnowflake!
But Law and Order, CSI or Criminal Minds don't have politics in it. They have far less than Supergirl. I'd be happy with Supergirl having the amount of politics that those shows have.

If you had said Madam Secretary or Designated Survivor, that would've been a different matter. But those were odd examples you quoted.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:41 PM   #9
famicommander
Side-Kick

less political preaching. i'm an anarcho-capitalist so i don't really want to hear it from the right or the left.

a coherent theme running through the season

a compelling season-long villain

more martian manhunter and miss martian

mon-el getting a costume and a more defined role as a hero

explicit acknowledgment that cat grant knows kara is supergirl

less artificial drama created by characters keeping secrets from each other for no reason (this applies to the whole arrowverse and pretty much all shows in the broad comic book genre).

famicommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:31 PM   #10
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

- I want to see a long-term arc that's actually planned out. I was re-watching S2 this week to prepare for the finale, and I noticed they were clearly setting up Mon-El's DAD to be the Big Bad with the way Mon-El talked about him. And then the guy we met didn't jive with that description at all, and that was only a few episodes later. These writers seem to plan only a couple episodes ahead at a time until they get to the end of the season where they're like, "hey, we should probably think about how we're gonna wrap all this up!" They leave open story threads only to bring them back up when it's convenient (like the least-urgent search ever for Jeremiah Danvers, or the fact that it was 4 episodes later before anyone spoke to Lena Luthor after she saved the entire alien population and sent her last remaining relative to prison). Continuity is your friend, writers! Use it! It's ok to mention things that aren't going to be front and center in that episode! Better to do that than pretend they don't exist for a few eps and expect the audience to temporarily forget until it's convenient.

- Brainiac. As I've discussed here before, my pipe dream for a season of this show would be a New Krypton adaptation, which would come in 5 multi-episode arcs based on the arcs of the comics: Brainiac (3 eps) -->New Krypton (4 eps) -->World of New Krypton (4 eps) -->Last Stand of New Krypton (3 eps) -->War of the Supermen (5 eps). All tweaked to be more Supergirl-centric than Superman-centric of course, but still involving both. She was a pretty huge part of those stories, and so despite him ultimately taking center stage, I still very much consider those Supergirl stories as well. Obviously the whole thing would need to be streamlined and altered to fit this show's universe and characters, but it could be done. The pacing could be great because there's a portion in the middle there where Kara actually goes to live on New Krypton with her family, and so we'd spend a few episodes of her trying to re-adapt to that world again and discovering how much she's (and they've) changed. It would be a great character study for her and not just all action all the time. And that episode count still leaves room in between for a few standalone eps, too. Of course it won't happen, but that's my dream Supergirl season.

Some more realistic wants:

-The Legion of Superheroes are introduced and Mon-El eventually joins them.
-More Martian Manhunter and M'Gann
-Lena and Cat know Kara is Supergirl (either they find out or already knew, either one - just stop dancing around the secret)
-Less focus on romance
-Mon-El and Kara break up, stay broken up
-James gives up the Guardian persona and either joins the DEO or goes back to Metropolis.
-More focus on Kara being a reporter.
-More Kara/Alex bonding. I miss those TV nights and couch scenes!

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

Last edited by flickchick85; 05-19-2017 at 09:35 PM.
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:35 PM   #11
Osiris-Rex
Head-Kick

More Supergirl. And Supergirl being the one that saves the day instead of being the one that Alex, Lena, Guardian, J'onn, etc. has to come rescue.
And have Supergirl help out ordinary people once in a while. Save someone from a burning building, stop a back robbery. Not the whole episode of course,
but throw in a few moments of that here and there more often.

More aliens. Those guys are fun. Flesh out Brian a little more. Do something with Giggles. Of course keep Lyra as Winn's girlfriend. And bring back Jo.

Dump Guardian. If we are going to keep James let him go back to being a photographer.

Give Mon-El a real costume. Preferably with a cape.

Have Maggie do some police work once in a while instead of just being the gay lover.

Don't turn Lena evil.

Don't drag the big bad out all season. Resolve that story line in the first half of the season and bring in a new bad for the second half.
Really all the Berlanti shows could use that. Savitar and Prometheus got tedious about 10 episodes ago.

Osiris-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:53 PM   #12
vantheman77
Superman Fan 4 Life

I have to agree that after the 2nd season, the writers need to rethink their approach in doing a long-term story arc of a season.

vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:04 PM   #13
Wildcard
Cataclysmic Titan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
More Supergirl. And Supergirl being the one that saves the day instead of being the one that Alex, Lena, Guardian, J'onn, etc. has to come rescue.
And have Supergirl help out ordinary people once in a while. Save someone from a burning building, stop a back robbery. Not the whole episode of course,
but throw in a few moments of that here and there more often.

More aliens. Those guys are fun. Flesh out Brian a little more. Do something with Giggles. Of course keep Lyra as Winn's girlfriend. And bring back Jo.

Dump Guardian. If we are going to keep James let him go back to being a photographer.

Give Mon-El a real costume. Preferably with a cape.

Have Maggie do some police work once in a while instead of just being the gay lover.

Don't turn Lena evil.

Don't drag the big bad out all season. Resolve that story line in the first half of the season and bring in a new bad for the second half.
Really all the Berlanti shows could use that. Savitar and Prometheus got tedious about 10 episodes ago.
This post sums up basically everything I want for season 3, especially the last on the list pertaining to not dragging out the main villain of the season. Like you said, it really is a problem with all of the Berlanti shows that needs to be resolved going forth. Otherwise, they're all going to lose a lot of their luster.

Wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:56 PM   #14
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

More Kara kicking ass....

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 05-20-2017, 01:24 AM   #15
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
More Kara kicking ass....
LOL, I wondering how long it would take you to re-state this. 13 whole posts? That restraint!

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:03 AM   #16
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcard View Post
This post sums up basically everything I want for season 3, especially the last on the list pertaining to not dragging out the main villain of the season. Like you said, it really is a problem with all of the Berlanti shows that needs to be resolved going forth. Otherwise, they're all going to lose a lot of their luster.
All those shows need to take a page from Agents of SHIELD which had the three arc structure this year. That worked wonders and gave AOS its best season ever. It leads to tighter plotting and less filler.

Supergirl felt like it meandered quite a bit this year and was lacking direction in the middle.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #17
Loki882
Side-Kick

-More focus on Kara.
-Less relationship drama. Relationships are fine, but there's enough drama to be had in the show's premise that forcing in love life problems isn't really needed. Just let couples be couples.
-Lena to NOT turn bad.
-More pairings/team-ups between characters that haven't really done so much yet. Like give me an episode where Lena teams up with Alex, or Winn, or J'onn, another episode with a Kara/Maggie teamup, Mon-el and Lena, etc.
-Bring M'Gann back as a recurring character.
-Etc.

I'd also like to see some other DC heroes pop up (Zatanna comes to mind right away, maybe Wonder Girl, etc).

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:06 AM   #18
metaphysician
Not a Side-Kick

-Get rid of Jimmy. Kill him off or send him back to Metropolis
-Get rid of Cat. Kill her off or send her back to Metropolis *ahem*
-Downgrade Mon'el. I'm thinking a nice trip to either Daxam or the Phantom Zone. He can still show up, just not constantly
-Get Kara a job other than journalism
-Lena *not* turning evil
-More J'onn, and less j'obbing *ahem*
-At least one, preferably more, Superman guest appearances where he shows up as a supporting character, rather than to fight villains

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #19
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
LOL, I wondering how long it would take you to re-state this. 13 whole posts? That restraint!
It was a tough wait....

~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 05-20-2017, 12:12 PM   #20
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira

If she did kick an ordinary person's ass, they would go flying like a football. It would be like this scene:

Old 05-20-2017, 12:18 PM   #21
Kelly
#RESIST
SHH! Administrator

Who said kicking ordinary people?

~Martin Luther King Jr.~
Old 05-20-2017, 12:42 PM   #22
Primal Slayer
The world is ready 4 you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedWraith View Post
Introduce Captain Atom as a government backed superhero, because the US government (and every other) can't be pleased that their fate rests in the hands of someone other than their own.
I really like that idea.

I want the DEO to be dissembled or have new leadership brought in after letting Earth be invaded so easily.

Season 3 really needs to start world building Supergirls Earth. It feels very isolated. Have the team (esp Supergirl) start going outside of National City.

The villains need to be more ruthless and dangerous. Bring in Intergang and start building up to Granny Goodness and the female furies as the big bad. Have Superman disappear by end of the season (which can lead to him being the surprise big bad of S4).

Since Batman has practically been talked about, might as well allude to Wonder Woman by bringing in Cassie Sandsmark whose in town for an art exhibit and have her join the show for an arc/season.

Primal Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #23
Loki882
Side-Kick

It'd be cool if they brought in Maxima as well. I actually thought that her and Kara had an interesting dynamic in the New 52 comics.

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #24
Matt
IKYN Guy Groupie

More Manhunter.

A big bad with no ties to Krypton (though Zod seems probable).

More of the bigger world that the show exists in. Someone with Kara's powers shouldn't be so local.

No more Mon-El. That relationship happened so damn fast and it is really all that defines him. I'd like to see a season or 2 where Kara has no love interest. Why does a man have to define her?

Better storylines for Winn.

Maxwell Lord's return.

Lex Luthor.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:39 PM   #25
Wildcard
Cataclysmic Titan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
All those shows need to take a page from Agents of SHIELD which had the three arc structure this year. That worked wonders and gave AOS its best season ever. It leads to tighter plotting and less filler.

Supergirl felt like it meandered quite a bit this year and was lacking direction in the middle.
That really is a great idea to implement for not only Supergirl but the Flash as well. Both felt like they got too tedious too soon and had a lot of new elements introduced that didn't really play off as well as they should have.

I noticed early on that my excitement level for SG this season was nowhere near what it was for the first two seasons.

And I have to reiterate it once again: for the love of all that is good, do not turn Lena evil!

Wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote