The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

View Poll Results: Who is the best Boxer of all time?
Mike Tyson 2 5.00%
Muhammad Ali 15 37.50%
Sugar Ray Robinson 5 12.50%
Floyd Mayweather 3 7.50%
Manny Pacquiao 2 5.00%
Jack Dempsey 0 0%
Joe Louis 1 2.50%
Larry Holmes 0 0%
Shane Mosley 0 0%
Lennox Lewis 0 0%
Joe Frazier 0 0%
George Foreman 0 0%
Sonny Liston 0 0%
Rocky Marciano 6 15.00%
Evander Holyfield 1 2.50%
Nikolai Valuev 0 0%
Oscar De La Hoya 0 0%
Roy Jones Jr 1 2.50%
Sugar Ray Leonard 1 2.50%
Other 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #526
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 4

Big Revelations today. Tyson Fury tested for PED's and a hearing was postponed today.

UKAD hearing into doping allegations against Tyson Fury has been postponed http://bbc.in/2pGAell

Quote:
The UK Anti-Doping (Ukad) hearing examining allegations Tyson Fury took a performance-enhancing substance has been postponed.
Press Association Sport reports Ukad took its decision due to a potential conflict of interest on its panel.
The hearing began on Monday and was expected to conclude this week. A future date for when it will resume is yet to be confirmed.
Fury has denied wrongdoing, and previously threatened to sue Ukad.
The 28-year-old is back in training but has not fought since beating Wladimir Klitschko to become heavyweight champion of the world in November 2015.
He had his licence revoked in October as he dealt with mental health problems, but had been aiming to return on the Billy Joe Saunders-Avtandil Khurtsidze undercard on 8 July.

Ukad charged both Fury and his fellow heavyweight boxing cousin Hughie, 22, with the "presence of a prohibited substance" on 24 June 2016.

Prior to that, the Sunday Mirror reported that traces of banned substance nandrolone had been found in a urine sample taken from Fury in February 2015.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #527
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Conor McGregor signs contract to fight Floyd Mayweather http://cnn.it/2quVzls

Old 05-18-2017, 09:58 AM   #528
STARMAN
Side-Kick

GGG defense has always been shaky. The biggest change I've seen in some of his recent fights is him falling into the trap of throwing one punch at a time. Wider punches too. A little while back, he was throwing shorter, more accurate punches.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:28 PM   #529
terry78
Will you shut up?!

This Mayweather/McGregor thing is gonna be ****ing hilarious.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:27 PM   #530
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
My only question is how long does Floyd carry him.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:35 PM   #531
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
It is..............but not going to lie, I plan on getting it.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:39 PM   #532
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Floyd hasn't signed his contract yet though. He's going to keep Connor waiting.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:08 PM   #533
B
[insert witty comment]

Crazy if this Mayweather/McGregor fight actually does happen, I wonder how many boxing purists would buy the PPV given that one fighter is 49-0 & one of the best boxers to ever walk the face of the earth & his opponent has an 0-0 professional boxing record with only an amateur boxing backround..

Anything other than a convincing KO/TKO finish from Mayweather will IMO be an embarrassment for him given the difference between the levels of their boxing competition & experience.

All that being said, I'll still buy it if it happens.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:19 PM   #534
InCali
I'm getting a pUpgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
Conor McGregor signs contract to fight Floyd Mayweather http://cnn.it/2quVzls
I don't even know what to say. McGregor has exactly a 0 percent chance of winning this fight unless Mayweather gets hurt and can't walk. He could break a bone in his right hand in the first round and still easily win.

www.cloudvistas.com
Old 05-19-2017, 02:26 PM   #535
Lobo
Dancing Jedi

I won't lie, I'm going to watch it if it happens, but Connor has 0% chance of winning a boxing match. Not even in a thousand tries. Just like I don't think Floyd could win in the octagon.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #536
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Dana White's take on this is Floyd wouldn't last 30 seconds in the Octagon whereas Connor will last more than that in the ring.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #537
Black Narcissus
Pimp a Butterfly

Floyd's power is verrrrry underrated. You brits should ask yo boy Hatton about that. lawd. I do not see this lasting more than 3rounds. Also, you bastahs need to get into the circle of trust and i'll let ya IN to the private YT channels, which broadcast all these PPV events for free.

''And lately my devils have been Spanish chicks in red lace. Doing Brujeria on me for ten days."
Old 05-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #538
InCali
I'm getting a pUpgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
Dana White's take on this is Floyd wouldn't last 30 seconds in the Octagon whereas Connor will last more than that in the ring.
That might be true. It's 2 very different games. One is MUCH more prone to KO's and has submissions. A silly comparison really. The difference is that Floyd isn't stupid enough (and doesn't need the money) to try and jump to another sport. Let's be honest; Connor KNOWS he has no chance of winning and is doing this strictly for the payday. Good for him. If he has a chance to get that dough, he SHOULD take it.

www.cloudvistas.com
Old 05-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #539
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Narcissus View Post
Floyd's power is verrrrry underrated. You brits should ask yo boy Hatton about that. lawd. I do not see this lasting more than 3rounds. Also, you bastahs need to get into the circle of trust and i'll let ya IN to the private YT channels, which broadcast all these PPV events for free.
Floyd's power is underrated for 2 reasons. First he moved up a lot in weight, so he was punching guys that anyone so undersized would have trouble knocking out. Second, he has brittle hands, so he spent a good portion of the more famous part of his career throwing only as much as he needed to.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:59 PM   #540
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
I won't lie, I'm going to watch it if it happens, but Connor has 0% chance of winning a boxing match. Not even in a thousand tries. Just like I don't think Floyd could win in the octagon.
Floyd could beat Connor in an MMA fight maybe 15 out every 100 attempts. His hand speed, accuracy and power would mean if he hit Connor once before he got the TD, it would be over. Also Floyd can wrestle with his upper body a bit. I have very little doubt Connor would lose 99 times out of 100 to Floyd in a boxing match.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 05-19-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:53 PM   #541
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

It's actually a win for McGregor whether he wins or loses. If he loses, UFC gets mainstream exposure and McGregor has the out of losing to arguably the GOAT. With that said, I hope Mayweather obliterates him. I never liked McGregor. I want Floyd to beat him to death.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #542
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Narcissus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Floyd's power is underrated for 2 reasons. First he moved up a lot in weight, so he was punching guys that anyone so undersized would have trouble knocking out. Second, he has brittle hands, so he spent a good portion of the more famous part of his career throwing only as much as he needed to.
Exactly what Darth said, the reason why his power isn't often considered is he's spent the last 10 years or so of his career beating guys with his speed & technical superiority. He seemed to be more offensive in the earlier stages of his career, I don't think the problem was that he was facing bigger guys though as to why he wasn't putting guys away. He had to change & start to beat guys more through speed & skill simply because of how often he was injuring his hands in training & fights, if he didn't change he could end up having to retire before his time or injure his hands beyond repair.

You could say he was pulling his punches, but I wouldn't even call it that, if you watch say his 20th fight vs his 40th fight, he seems be a lot more calculated, focusing more on landing flush where he wanted as opposed to more throwing a little more wreckless & maybe hitting hitting arm/shoulder or glove.

Quote:
Floyd could beat Connor in an MMA fight maybe 15 out every 100 attempts. His hand speed, accuracy and power would mean if he hit Connor once before he got the TD, it would be over. Also Floyd can wrestle with his upper body a bit. I have very little doubt Connor would lose 99 times out of 100 to Floyd in a boxing match.
The chances of Conor beating Floyd in a boxing match would be exactly the same as Floyd beating Conor in an MMA bout. They are too completely different sports & it's irrelevant how great you are in one sport because in the other you are practically a novice. Both would have a punchers chances in each others sport & that literally it.

One of the things I heard Floyd talk about when trying to sell this fight to the public is the reason it would have to be a boxing match & not an MMA match is because when Conor fights his success all comes from his striking. Which is true, but the striking in MMA involves kicks, which Conor throws a lot off particularly that front kick to the gut he uses almost like a jab, elbows, knees & also clinch work to certain extent.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #543
B
[insert witty comment]

Anybody watch the Gervonta Davis/Liam Walsh fight?

Good performance from Davis, I've seen 2 or 3 of his fights & he looks very impressive for only 22 years old.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:52 PM   #544
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
Exactly what Darth said, the reason why his power isn't often considered is he's spent the last 10 years or so of his career beating guys with his speed & technical superiority. He seemed to be more offensive in the earlier stages of his career, I don't think the problem was that he was facing bigger guys though as to why he wasn't putting guys away. He had to change & start to beat guys more through speed & skill simply because of how often he was injuring his hands in training & fights, if he didn't change he could end up having to retire before his time or injure his hands beyond repair.

You could say he was pulling his punches, but I wouldn't even call it that, if you watch say his 20th fight vs his 40th fight, he seems be a lot more calculated, focusing more on landing flush where he wanted as opposed to more throwing a little more wreckless & maybe hitting hitting arm/shoulder or glove.
Floyd would weigh in on fight night without cutting or cutting like 3 pounds. So, I think size was an issue, especially with a guys like Canelo or Oscar. You saw it with Manny as well.

Though yes, Floyd did become more calculated as he lost some athleticism and was more concerned with not being hit.

Quote:
The chances of Conor beating Floyd in a boxing match would be exactly the same as Floyd beating Conor in an MMA bout. They are too completely different sports & it's irrelevant how great you are in one sport because in the other you are practically a novice. Both would have a punchers chances in each others sport & that literally it.

One of the things I heard Floyd talk about when trying to sell this fight to the public is the reason it would have to be a boxing match & not an MMA match is because when Conor fights his success all comes from his striking. Which is true, but the striking in MMA involves kicks, which Conor throws a lot off particularly that front kick to the gut he uses almost like a jab, elbows, knees & also clinch work to certain extent.
I think there is a fundamental difference. What Floyd does transfers to MMA way better then what Conor does to boxing. Conor got rocked by pillow shots from a Diaz brother, twice. I am confident in saying that every top 10 fighter from 126 and up hits harder then anything Connor has ever been hit by in an MMA fight.

So If Conor shot, and Floyd uppercuted him, he'd be out. If Conor tried to stay on the outside trying to kick, he'd run the risk of Floyd putting a straight right through his face before Conor got the advantage.

If Conor got him down, it would be over. But Conor would have to get him down, and Floyd isn't some over the hill guy who can't move. Floyd can still move. If Conor shot and Floyd avoided it and Conor's head was exposed on the mat to Floyd's punches? Done.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #545
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Floyd would weigh in on fight night without cutting or cutting like 3 pounds. So, I think size was an issue, especially with a guys like Canelo or Oscar. You saw it with Manny as well.

Though yes, Floyd did become more calculated as he lost some athleticism and was more concerned with not being hit.
He had to be, when you go up weight classes you must tweek your game. Even if his hands hadn't become an issue, you can't go up or down in weight classes & literally expect the same thing. Different weight classes have different qualities IMO.

Quote:
I think there is a fundamental difference. What Floyd does transfers to MMA way better then what Conor does to boxing. Conor got rocked by pillow shots from a Diaz brother, twice. I am confident in saying that every top 10 fighter from 126 and up hits harder then anything Connor has ever been hit by in an MMA fight.
Hypothetically though how do you feel what Floyd does in a boxing ring would transfer into MMA anymore than what Conor does in MMA (Striking) transferring to a boxing ring?

I personally don't think beyond a fairly basic level of striking the 2 transfer well at all into each others arena, not without significant change & adaptation starting at something as fairly basic as their stance.

Quote:
So If Conor shot, and Floyd uppercuted him, he'd be out. If Conor tried to stay on the outside trying to kick, he'd run the risk of Floyd putting a straight right through his face before Conor got the advantage.

If Conor got him down, it would be over. But Conor would have to get him down, and Floyd isn't some over the hill guy who can't move. Floyd can still move. If Conor shot and Floyd avoided it and Conor's head was exposed on the mat to Floyd's punches? Done.
What you've described is basically a punchers chance, it's the same sort of chance James Toney had when he fought Randy Couture.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:41 PM   #546
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
He had to be, when you go up weight classes you must tweek your game. Even if his hands hadn't become an issue, you can't go up or down in weight classes & literally expect the same thing. Different weight classes have different qualities IMO.
If you take Floyd from 130, and instead of him putting on weight, he simply grows to be the same fighter at 147, he would have fought the same way, because he would have been the same size as his opponents, and knocking them clean out and not taking a lot of damage from bigger foes.

Fighter's qualities change when they move up because their bodies changes, and they are usually naturally smaller.

Quote:
Hypothetically though how do you feel what Floyd does in a boxing ring would transfer into MMA anymore than what Conor does in MMA (Striking) transferring to a boxing ring?

I personally don't think beyond a fairly basic level of striking the 2 transfer well at all into each others arena, not without significant change & adaptation starting at something as fairly basic as their stance.
Conor, like all MMA guys, cannot box. Not even Anderson Silva is a good boxer. They can "box" well for MMA guys. In terms of boxing, they are horrible. One of the reasons why the Diaz's brothers, with mediocre technique, can box circles around the great "strikers". The Diaz bros. have no proper head movement or defense and very little power. But put together combinations well enough to beat the piss out of guys.

A top ten male boxer hits in ways a MMA guy just can't handle. It isn't the same the other way around.

Quote:
What you've described is basically a punchers chance, it's the same sort of chance James Toney had when he fought Randy Couture.
I love that you brought up Toney, because this is exactly why I brought up Floyd's athleticism. Toney wasn't just over the hill, he was out of shape, looking like Charles Barkely in terms of movement. He couldn't even bend at his knees. Kind of like seeing Kimbo.

Floyd can avoid contact. He knows how to move from not only strikes but someone trying to grab him. He could theoretically avoid all contact with Conor if he wanted to.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:21 AM   #547
InCali
I'm getting a pUpgrade!

Quote:
No....no....no....Mac doesn't have a puncher's chance. For him to win, one of three things (that I can think of) has to happen. Floyd comes in out of shape (highly unlikely and even then he still wins), does something stupid (even less likely), or frells up one of his legs (prolly even less likely than the others). Oh....I forgot....he could throw the fight.....even less likely.

Floyd would definitely have a puncher's chance. My father was a professional boxer and these guys not only know how to punch, but are trained to avoid getting hit....at least the halfway good ones are.

Sort of a funny story...my dad was told to fight good, f*** good or drink good, but not to screw all of them up. He quit boxing.

www.cloudvistas.com
Old 05-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #548
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Conor, like all MMA guys, cannot box. Not even Anderson Silva is a good boxer. They can "box" well for MMA guys. In terms of boxing, they are horrible. One of the reasons why the Diaz's brothers, with mediocre technique, can box circles around the great "strikers". The Diaz bros. have no proper head movement or defense and very little power. But put together combinations well enough to beat the piss out of guys.
I agree with you completely in a sense, it isn't that they can't box, it's more the qualities of being able to have an effective boxing game in MMA vary so differently from the qualities needed to fight professional boxers in a boxing ring.

Just because you've displayed a good level of boxing in MMA which you could argue some fighters past & present do have does not mean you can immediately jump into professional boxing & expect to compete with the upper echelon of pro boxers. That works both ways though, even a boxer as great as Floyd would not be capable of jumping into a MMA match & even striking, nevermind grappling, with the upper echelon of mixed martial artists.

Quote:
A top ten male boxer hits in ways a MMA guy just can't handle. It isn't the same the other way around.
This isn't strictly true if you're talking about purely punches & punching power, you couldn't put a group of boxers under an umbrella & say they're boxers therefore they can all hit harder than all mixed martial artists of similar weight. They've covered this subject in various sporting studies & even on Sport Science I believe that show this isn't the case & ultimately it comes down to several physical & technical factors.

Obviously though McGregor's kicks would be harder than any punch a boxer would ever throw or face.

Quote:
I love that you brought up Toney, because this is exactly why I brought up Floyd's athleticism. Toney wasn't just over the hill, he was out of shape, looking like Charles Barkely in terms of movement. He couldn't even bend at his knees. Kind of like seeing Kimbo.
James Toney did fight a 47 year old Randy Couture though who was equally as over the hill, it's not like Couture was fast, powerful or had a significant athletic advantage. Their athletic qualities aside, it wasn't the only reason Toney got made a fool out off.

Quote:
Floyd can avoid contact. He knows how to move from not only strikes but someone trying to grab him. He could theoretically avoid all contact with Conor if he wanted to.
You should rephrase that, Floyd knows how to move & avoid punches, not strikes. Strikes would include kicks, knees & elbows of which Mayweather has no knowledge in avoiding or defending other than keeping such a distance he couldn't throw anything in return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post
No....no....no....Mac doesn't have a puncher's chance. For him to win, one of three things (that I can think of) has to happen. Floyd comes in out of shape (highly unlikely and even then he still wins), does something stupid (even less likely), or frells up one of his legs (prolly even less likely than the others). Oh....I forgot....he could throw the fight.....even less likely.

Floyd would definitely have a puncher's chance. My father was a professional boxer and these guys not only know how to punch, but are trained to avoid getting hit....at least the halfway good ones are.

Sort of a funny story...my dad was told to fight good, f*** good or drink good, but not to screw all of them up. He quit boxing.
What you've described is a punchers chance, Floyd would need to dismiss Conor as an opponent, not respect his power & get cocky. The only way McGregor wins is if he could somehow do what 49 other seasoned professional boxers have tried & failed to do. Land 1 clean punch, on the jaw that KO's Floyd stiff or hurts him enough that he can't recover. That is also the exact same sort of chance Floyd would have in a MMA bout, he'd have to hit Conor square on the button, KO him or hurt him that bad that he can finish him.

The reality is if Conor fought Floyd in the UFC, Conor would light Mayweather up like a Christmas tree with leg, body & head kicks outside of Floyd's hand range. If Floyd does fight Conor in a boxing ring, Floyd's going to give him a boxing lesson.

Really I find this potential McGregor/Mayweather fight somewhat silly & to an extent a little disrespectful to boxing, but I'll still get it out of curiosity & for the pure spectacle I expect it to be.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:29 PM   #549
DarthSkywalker

Anyone watch the fights yesterday? Andre Dirrell won a world title when he got knocked out after the bell (it was close). But then after the fight, one of Dirrell's brothers got in a fight with security and then his uncle attacked the other fighter, sucker punching him. Last I read the cops were still looking for the coward.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #550
Poetic Chaos
Hella fetch.

I'd watch Crawford-Pac.

Closed Thread