Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #626
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
Interesting...
I'd be interested in seeing if people still call it stupid if that's the case. It makes perfect sense to call her Ms. Marvel if that's the case. I guess people would just move onto the fact they're basically making her an old Marvel character and call that stupid.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #627
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
A grown up Marvel Girl = Ms. Marvel. If Angela is Jean Grey "reborn" as an "Angel" in "Heaven" it would explain why they would give her the Ms. Marvel moniker and what her connection to it is. It also explains why Tony and Peter said she looks familiar in GOTG 6, especially considering we know Peter saw a young Jean Grey in his visions of the future and past when the timestream broke which means Bendis provided a direct clue for what was going on in his book and the hints aren't something you have to have outside knowledge to get (beyond the fact knowing Jean dies anyway). Also remember that Angela is on the Guardians of the Galaxy roster during the Trial of Jean Grey event...perhaps there is more to that than just Bendis wanting her on the roster and isn't a coincidence? It also opens up a ton of possibilities about what heaven and angels are that can be explored in the new Ms. Marvel title.

Just throwing that out there.
WTF? Where the heck are you getting that Angela may be Jean Grey? That idea is 100 times worse than her taking on the codename Ms. Marvel. That would be a really stupid idea if Marvel went that route

Quote:
I'd be interested in seeing if people still call it stupid if that's the case. It makes perfect sense to call her Ms. Marvel if that's the case. I guess people would just move onto the fact they're basically making her an old Marvel character and call that stupid.
No it wasn't stupid before; it was unnecessary. Your theory makes it stupid

Last edited by Havok83; 10-18-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #628
runawayboulder
2016 NFL Pick Em CHAMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
I did not say that there were no storyline possibilities for Angela in the MU; I merely stated it provided some extra (which I then quantified with awesome) possibilities. I would argue that considering how long they have a lot of the narratives planned in advance - Age of Ultron beginning early on in Mighty Avengers-they have some clues on how to adjust her to the framework. Now, the reverse could be true: they plot the stories well in advance but did not exercise said effort in plotting her within the canon. However, I would argue that the interviews (or at least as I recall them - which might be with a few degrees of inaccuracy, due to the length of time from when I first read them-indicated they had begun plotting her role for a good amount of time.)

Again, we have polarized reactions on this scenario and I do anticipate any agreement being reached.
Agreement...? Who cares if there's an agreement or not...? Marvel is gonna do whatever the hell they want no matter what anyone on this board says.

The mystical side of Marvel has been a graveyard for years now. Folks like Ghost Rider and Dr Strange have not seen any successful books in forever. The hype behind Angela's Marvel debut could have been very helpful there. But, no. Where did they put her...? Guardians of the Galaxy.

Now, it's been a while since I read Spawn but from what I recall, Angela isn't really a sci-fi type of character. She was dropped in GotG because of 2 reasons:

1) It's the company man Bendis' book

2) There's more attention being paid to the book due to the upcoming movie and what it can do for the Marvel Movie-verse post Phase 1. All of the Hollywood side of Marvel wants her there to help build momentum towards the film adaption.

Quote:
A grown up Marvel Girl = Ms. Marvel. If Angela is Jean Grey "reborn" as an "Angel" in "Heaven" it would explain why they would give her the Ms. Marvel moniker and what her connection to it is. It also explains why Tony and Peter said she looks familiar in GOTG 6, especially considering we know Peter saw a young Jean Grey in his visions of the future and past when the timestream broke which means Bendis provided a direct clue for what was going on in his book and the hints aren't something you have to have outside knowledge to get (beyond the fact knowing Jean dies anyway). Also remember that Angela is on the Guardians of the Galaxy roster during the Trial of Jean Grey event...perhaps there is more to that than just Bendis wanting her on the roster and isn't a coincidence? It also opens up a ton of possibilities about what heaven and angels are that can be explored in the new Ms. Marvel title.

Just throwing that out there.
I haven't read any of GotG but if any of that is true, it makes me glad I didn't. Battle of the Atom already makes my head hurt. I'm dropping the X-Men because the convoluted mess actually GOT worse and I didn't think that was possible.

Looks like I'll be saving money this winter.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #629
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

I'm pretty sure Bendis said Angela was not Jean Grey, that rumor came up on tumblr and he shot it down.

Spider-Man 2, The Avengers, Spider-Man, Batman Begins, Batman '89, Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man, Iron Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man
Old 10-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #630
runawayboulder
2016 NFL Pick Em CHAMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
WTF? Where the heck are you getting that Angela may be Jean Grey? That idea is 100 times worse than her taking on the codename Ms. Marvel. That would be a really stupid idea if Marvel went that route

No it wasn't stupid before; it was unnecessary. Your theory makes it stupid

Thank the stars that Mr Dent is a poster here and not running Marvel.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #631
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrin Parker View Post
I'm pretty sure Bendis said Angela was not Jean Grey, that rumor came up on tumblr and he shot it down.
Angela is Annie Richards (look it up)

Old 10-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #632
runawayboulder
2016 NFL Pick Em CHAMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
Is that a Franklin Richards/Aunt Petunia joke?

Old 10-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #633
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
Is that a Franklin Richards/Aunt Petunia joke?
*Puts on old man glasses*
Back when the X-men was good....Jean Grey had a friend named Annie Richards who was killed in a hit and run. Jean's powers manifested and allowed her to telepathically link up with her dying friend. Soon after Xavier and his boy band showed up looking to add a female to the team.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #634
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
http://marvel.wikia.com/Annie_Richardson_(Earth-616)

If this is true Bendis sure has a thing for picking small character from random old issues of Marvel and turning them into something. He did the same thing with Jessica Jones. It's pretty cool though. I wish he'd do that with Tuk.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #635
roach
I am the night

Quote:

If this is true Bendis sure has a thing for picking small character from random old issues of Marvel and turning them into something. He did the same thing with Jessica Jones. It's pretty cool though. I wish he'd do that with Tuk.
I was actually being funny since everyone was saying it was Jean but it sort of fits that a dead character would return as an angel.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #636
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:

Not really. Bendis created her. She wasn't plucked from some random old issue. He created her shortly after joining Marvel and has stuck with her since. PAD is the ultimate writer when it comes to making forgotten random D-listers happen

Old 10-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #637
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
I was actually being funny since everyone was saying it was Jean but it sort of fits that a dead character would return as an angel.
Well I think that's definitely what Angela is, even if it's not Jean specifically. There's no way there's not something behind Peter and Tony saying she looks familiar, and considering heaven is a place where people go when they die and angels are the reborn form of those people, it all adds up to her being an old dead Marvel character to me.

Quote:
Not really. Bendis created her. She wasn't plucked from some random old issue. He created her shortly after joining Marvel and has stuck with her since. PAD is the ultimate writer when it comes to making forgotten random D-listers happen
Jessica Jones is an old Spider-Man character from issue #4 who had a crush on Peter. That said, she didn't have a name then, but she's that character.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #638
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Jessica Jones is an old Spider-Man character from issue #4 who had a crush on Peter. That said, she didn't have a name then, but she's that character.
and where did you get that from?

Old 10-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #639
roach
I am the night

Quote:
and where did you get that from?
I looked it up and apparently it's true. Bendis did create the character and then picked some un named girl from Amazing Spider-man #4 and said it was her. It's on the Marvel wiki.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #640
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
I looked it up and apparently it's true. Bendis did create the character and then picked some un named girl from Amazing Spider-man #4 and said it was her. It's on the Marvel wiki.
So he created Jessica and then later said she was some unnamed girl in the panel of an old comic? That's different than how Mr. Dent made it out to seem. Like I said, Jessica is a Bendis creation.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #641
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Quote:
Well I think that's definitely what Angela is, even if it's not Jean specifically. There's no way there's not something behind Peter and Tony saying she looks familiar, and considering heaven is a place where people go when they die and angels are the reborn form of those people, it all adds up to her being an old dead Marvel character to me.

You keep saying that. I just reread the issue looking for that, and they never say that. They say she looks similar to humans. Not that she looks familiar.

You're looking for things that aren't there.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #642
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Oh really?

Guess you didn't look hard enough. >.>

Quote:
So he created Jessica and then later said she was some unnamed girl in the panel of an old comic? That's different than how Mr. Dent made it out to seem. Like I said, Jessica is a Bendis creation.
Pretty sure he didn't go back and do it. She was like that from the beginning in Alias iirc. She was that character and her inability to confess to Peter spurred her development. That's the way I remember it, but I haven't read the book in years.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #643
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

It sucks that Tony of all people is wearing Star-Lords good mask.

Spider-Man 2, The Avengers, Spider-Man, Batman Begins, Batman '89, Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man, Iron Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man
Old 10-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #644
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Yeah that really felt like Bendis giving everyone asking for the helmet the finger lol

Old 10-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #645
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Pretty sure he didn't go back and do it. She was like that from the beginning in Alias iirc. She was that character and her inability to confess to Peter spurred her development. That's the way I remember it, but I haven't read the book in years.
We (the readers) don't know her origin at the start of the Alias series.

https://www.facebook.com/MythworldeMedia/
Old 10-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #646
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Quote:
Oh really?
Guess you didn't look hard enough. >.>
You said issue 6. that's from issue 5.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #647
Mr. Dent
Banned User

That's definitely from issue 6.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #648
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Oh **** I was looking at 7. haha my bad.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:15 AM   #649
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Naw it's cool

Marvel hinting at the return of the original Nova?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10/...omic-book-day/

Old 10-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #650
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

ALL-NEW MARVEL NOW! POINT ONE #1
DAN SLOTT, AL EWING, JAMES ROBINSON, NATHAN EDMONDSON & NICK SPENCER (W)
MICHAEL ALLRED, LEE GARBETT, STEVE PUGH, PHIL NOTO, AND RAGS MORALES (A)
Cover by SALVADOR LARROCA
Variant cover by STEVE MCNIVEN
• Here we go again! It’s your one-stop entry point to the world of ALL-NEW MARVEL NOW! Loki embarks on a mission for Asgard! The Silver Surfer and Dawn experience the cosmic rays of Nautikos! A Kree Pursuer and her Special Forces team prepare to invade the Earth! The Black Widow goes undercover in Russia! And can even the Indestructible Hulk survive the aid and assistance of fellow Avengers Cannonball and Sunspot?
• Features completely new LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD, SILVER SURFER, BLACK WIDOW, ALL-NEW INVADERS and AVENGERS WORLD lead-in stories!
56 PGS./Rated T+ …$5.99