The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2017, 09:58 AM   #826
Lorus
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 430
Default Re: All Things Batman v Superman: An Open Discussion (TAG SPOILERS) - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
This sentiment baffles me. The UC has stronger editing and Superman is actually given something worthwhile to do. But is it drastically better? Not in my estimation. The only people I see regularly claiming that are the ones who already defended the theatrical cut tooth and nail.

I haven't seen the movie in a while but I recall that almost every single scene that wasn't action/spectacle lasted around two minutes or less before it'd cut to the next sequence. Is that the case? I feel like the longest dialogue scenes were between Lex and the Senator.
I saw the ultimate cut for the first time recently and I find myself agreeing with this for the most part. It's longer, but it mostly amounts to stretching the questionable material to fill more space, rather than adding new content that significantly alters the way the story is told or contextualises the remaining content differently, other than on a purely plot related level. Superman still very much feels like an afterthought in a movie that can never stop talking about him.

I'd be very curious to know what particular aspect of the added footage could cause a complete 180 on someone's opinion of the movie.

Lorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:18 AM   #827
Flint Marko
"Underoos!"
 
Flint Marko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,854
Default Re: All Things Batman v Superman: An Open Discussion (TAG SPOILERS) - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorus View Post
Superman still very much feels like an afterthought in a movie that can never stop talking about him.
This is a very concise and very accurate summary of BvS' biggest failure.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Well...here I am. Sitting here with my commemorative Marvel's Civil War soda container. Glad DC doesn't go in for that product placement nonsense.
Homecoming - 7.7.2017
Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #828
kguillou
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New Joisey
Posts: 10,578
Default Re: All Things Batman v Superman: An Open Discussion (TAG SPOILERS) - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorus View Post
I saw the ultimate cut for the first time recently and I find myself agreeing with this for the most part. It's longer, but it mostly amounts to stretching the questionable material to fill more space, rather than adding new content that significantly alters the way the story is told or contextualises the remaining content differently, other than on a purely plot related level. Superman still very much feels like an afterthought in a movie that can never stop talking about him.

I'd be very curious to know what particular aspect of the added footage could cause a complete 180 on someone's opinion of the movie.
I'm one of those that did a 180 from the TC to the ultimate edition. To me, coherence and story flow is everything. I remember in theater I was digging the tone and vibe of the first 30 minutes of the movie and then once the second act hit and the editing and pacing went to s***, the movie lost me. I just felt like I had no idea what was going on the way the movie was jumping around so movie, I almost felt dizzy. And because of that, it spoiled vibe and mood that I was in during act I.

So, to me, the UC is a vast improvement because it feels SMOOTH. Each scene breathes and takes its time, Henry Cavill gets, like, 20 more minutes of screen time which in a film is a ton and it feels like a movie about Batman AND Superman. Bruce AND Clark. The movie in theaters felt like someone had dropped the film reel on the way to the projector and parts of the movie were missing. The UC feels like a complete experience.

Now, granted, the key factor here is that I actually LIKED the movie up until the editing went screwy. If you were not already digging the vibe and tone of the movie in its first 30 minutes, a longer version will do nothing for you imo.

__________________
2017 TOP FILMS

1) JUSTICE LEAGUE 2) John Wick 2 9/10 3) Logan 8.5/10 4) BladeRunner 2049 5) Wonder Woman 8/10 6) ALIEN: Covenant 7.5/10 7) WAR Of The Planet of The Apes 8) Ghost in The Shell 6/10 9) Kingsman: Golden Circle 9/10 10) Atomic Blonde 7/10
kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:33 AM   #829
BruceWayne2
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 82
Default Re: All Things Batman v Superman: An Open Discussion (TAG SPOILERS) - - - - - -

^^^ Yeah. Idk why they chose to show such a screwy version in theaters. It definitely felt off, and I left not feeling like I had seen a complete movie.


I love the UC of the movie, the tone, what they were going for. I forgive the flaws because so much of it is exactly what I'd like to see in a Superman/Batman film.


But I do understand the above criticisms. It's like they packed so much into the movie that nothing really gets a chance to breathe. It could've used more dialogue and character development, as opposed to plot movement. It ends up feeling a bit cold and removed. The audience doesn't really get a chance to get emotionally invested with either Bruce or Clark. I feel like Cavill is such a naturally likable guy, there needed to be more of his natural charm in the role of Superman, the audience needs to relate to him. It lacks emotion, almost as if all the characters are just plot devices and not living, breathing people.


Hopefully, this is something they can rectify in JL

BruceWayne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:18 AM   #830
misslane38
Side-Kick
 
misslane38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,721
Default Re: All Things Batman v Superman: An Open Discussion (TAG SPOILERS) - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWayne2 View Post
I feel like Cavill is such a naturally likable guy, there needed to be more of his natural charm in the role of Superman, the audience needs to relate to him. It lacks emotion, almost as if all the characters are just plot devices and not living, breathing people.
I didn't feel that at all, especially with Clark. I find that I don't need characters to be charming in order for me to relate to them. I relate to a lot of people who aren't charming. In fact, the "charming" qualities people see in Reeve's Superman are mostly a big turn off for me. That version, in my opinion, often blurs the line between charm and arrogance. Plus, with Cavill's Clark, it's important to look at the moments when he is more expressive. He's gentle, romantic, and even silly with Lois at their apartment. He's passionate and argumentative with Perry and Bruce about The Batman's reign of terror in Gotham. Emotion ripples off of Superman when Lex toys with him and showers him with awful photos of his captured mother. I really loved the soft and warm smile he had when he returned the girl he rescued to her family, too.

misslane38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:29 AM   #831
FeedOnATreeFrog
(A Metal Gear reference)
 
FeedOnATreeFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,634
Default Re: All Things Batman v Superman: An Open Discussion (TAG SPOILERS) - - - - - -

I think the fact that some of us can list the times Clark shows emotion and the fact that you don't see similar posts for any other character says it all.


Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 09-12-2017 at 04:32 AM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:04 AM   #832
AVEITWITHJAMON
We are Legion
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 33,235
Default Re: All Things Batman v Superman: An Open Discussion (TAG SPOILERS) - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillou View Post
I'm one of those that did a 180 from the TC to the ultimate edition. To me, coherence and story flow is everything. I remember in theater I was digging the tone and vibe of the first 30 minutes of the movie and then once the second act hit and the editing and pacing went to s***, the movie lost me. I just felt like I had no idea what was going on the way the movie was jumping around so movie, I almost felt dizzy. And because of that, it spoiled vibe and mood that I was in during act I.

So, to me, the UC is a vast improvement because it feels SMOOTH. Each scene breathes and takes its time, Henry Cavill gets, like, 20 more minutes of screen time which in a film is a ton and it feels like a movie about Batman AND Superman. Bruce AND Clark. The movie in theaters felt like someone had dropped the film reel on the way to the projector and parts of the movie were missing. The UC feels like a complete experience.

Now, granted, the key factor here is that I actually LIKED the movie up until the editing went screwy. If you were not already digging the vibe and tone of the movie in its first 30 minutes, a longer version will do nothing for you imo.
I agree, despite the UC being 30 mins longer, it actually feels shorter when you watch it due to how much better it flows. The added Clark/Superman scenes also help of course.

__________________
2017 movie ratings out of 10:

1)War For The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(2)Logan-9.5(3)Baby Driver-9.5(4)Dunkirk-9(5)Wonder Woman-9(6)Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2-9(7)It-8(8)Spider-Man: Homecoming-8(9)John Wick 2-8(10)Split-8(11)Kong: Skull Island-7.5(12)Alien Covenant-7(13)Ghost In The Shell-7(14)POTC: Salazar's Revenge-7(15)The Dark Tower-4(16)Transformers: The Last Knight-4
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #833
TheGDBatman
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 14
Default Re: All Things Batman v Superman: An Open Discussion (TAG SPOILERS) - - - - - -

I have to agree with the UC supporters. While I enjoyed aspects of the TC (despite its many flaws), I felt that the UC was way stronger. The flow, the added material.... all of this added up to a stronger viewing experience for me. The more I watch that movie, the more I have come to appreciate what Snyder and Co. was aiming for. Is it perfect? No, but Zod damn do I love it.

TheGDBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:14 PM   #834
Sleiek
Side-Kick
 
Sleiek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Montreal / Brisbane
Posts: 6,000
Default Re: All Things Batman v Superman: An Open Discussion (TAG SPOILERS) - - - - - -

I haven't been to the SHH for atleast a month I think. But I wanted to drop in to say that this movie is listed in "Violent Movies" in Netflix.

LOL

__________________
2017 CBM MOVIE RATINGS------Logan 8.5/10------ Guardians Vol. II 7/10------ Wonder Woman 9/10------ SM: Homecoming 7.5/10
Sleiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:07 PM   #835
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 31,108
Default Re: All Things Batman v Superman: An Open Discussion (TAG SPOILERS) - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleiek View Post
I haven't been to the SHH for atleast a month I think. But I wanted to drop in to say that this movie is listed in "Violent Movies" in Netflix.

LOL
Netflix has a category called Violent Movies?

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.