The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 08:56 PM   #976
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughterLives View Post
I felt that way about him and Clint Eastwood for a long long time too.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

YOUTUBE

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:22 AM   #977
Batmannerism
Super-unknown

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The voice over version of Blade Runner is the best, because the voice over actually makes the movie a better film. Knowing the character's thoughts and motivations humanizes him and makes him more relatable - and it provides a terrific counter-view to the tears in the rain scene, which makes it more meaningful, because we know that Deckard appreciates the moment.

Most importantly, it lets the film end on a hopeful note, which is what we need after 2 hours of being subtly terrified by Scott's vision of a not-so-unlikely future. I feel that the reassurance makes the film a more complete experience.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:09 AM   #978
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
The voice over version of Blade Runner is the best, because the voice over actually makes the movie a better film. Knowing the character's thoughts and motivations humanizes him and makes him more relatable - and it provides a terrific counter-view to the tears in the rain scene, which makes it more meaningful, because we know that Deckard appreciates the moment.

Most importantly, it lets the film end on a hopeful note, which is what we need after 2 hours of being subtly terrified by Scott's vision of a not-so-unlikely future. I feel that the reassurance makes the film a more complete experience.
You're right about the voice over. I was bummed that the director's cut I bought ages ago had that taken out.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:33 PM   #979
LaughterLives
Side-Kick

Eastwood was only good in 3 movies in my opinion but still far from great. I also think he's one hell of a mediocre director for the most part.

Last edited by LaughterLives; 10-10-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #980
Joe Von Zombie
Unite the Seven

Quote:

The voice over could have worked had Harrison Ford not intentionally ****ed it up so they wouldn't use it, but they chose to use it anyway. There are enough context clues and environmental storytelling to tell you everything you need to know about Deckard. It really wasn't necessary. Also **** the original ending. The story was never supposed to end well. Saying Blade Runner needed a happy ending is like saying Se7en needs a happy ending.

There is a huge difference between "I want to honor my loved ones" and "I hate criminals, and want to punish them".

That difference is called "Batman".- The Guard
Old 10-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #981
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:

Completely disagree. The voiceover is poorly done, it's unnecessary because I don't need my hand held. Don't need that voiceover for it to feel like a complete experience at all. The problem is that it humanizes him too much. I don't want that. I want some ambiguity.

The final cut is the only cut as far as I'm concerned. It's a masterpiece. It also ends at the perfect time.

"Lets make one thing very clear here - Nolan's films are as faithful an adaptation as there is. It pays homage to its source material, remains true to its characters and above all else places the story first and foremost." - jmc
Old 10-11-2017, 10:02 PM   #982
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

I think Dragonheart is a decent film. Not the best, but I consider it to be a refreshingly "earnest" piece of entertainment. The CGI is dated but strangely effective, and the music is better than it has any right to be. Also, Sean Connery

Old 10-12-2017, 03:37 AM   #983
Batmannerism
Super-unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeekness View Post
You're right about the voice over. I was bummed that the director's cut I bought ages ago had that taken out.
Totally agree...I remember seeing it for the first time that way in 1982.

Also, nice to see the purists jumping in with the old "I don't need a happy ending" and "I don't need no explanation" totally expected that. Enjoy your bleak ambiguous movies, you strange souls, but as for me I like my movies with a bit of hope at the end.

I actually think the Tears in the Rain scene is much better with the voice over !
Ha ! I said it, let the scorn fall !

Old 10-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #984
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Totally agree...I remember seeing it for the first time that way in 1982.

Also, nice to see the purists jumping in with the old "I don't need a happy ending" and "I don't need no explanation" totally expected that. Enjoy your bleak ambiguous movies, you strange souls, but as for me I like my movies with a bit of hope at the end.

I actually think the Tears in the Rain scene is much better with the voice over !
Ha ! I said it, let the scorn fall !
LOLs.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #985
Herofan
Side-Kick

A Beautiful Mind was, despite the distortions from the true story, a great film and deserved to win the Best Picture Oscar (even though I find most other Ron Howard films average to bad).

Old 10-12-2017, 11:07 AM   #986
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

It's one of my favorites.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #987
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herofan View Post
A Beautiful Mind was, despite the distortions from the true story, a great film and deserved to win the Best Picture Oscar (even though I find most other Ron Howard films average to bad).
I don't think that's a particularly unpopular opinion

Old 10-12-2017, 10:59 PM   #988
MadderMaximus
Side-Kick

I think Batman & Robin is the most under-appreciated comedy of the 90's.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:28 PM   #989
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadderMaximus View Post
I think Batman & Robin is the most under-appreciated comedy of the 90's.
Lol, you certainly couldn't take it seriously.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:02 AM   #990
MadderMaximus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Lol, you certainly couldn't take it seriously.
Right? The filmmakers didn't, why should we?

Old 10-13-2017, 06:55 PM   #991
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

MCU officially made the worst Spider-Man on film. A lot of the damage that happens in the movie is his fault, and he doesn't take responsibility or learn from it. He also steals stuff, and his task in the movie is to stop a guy from stealing.

YOUTUBE

The internet: You formed your personal opinion and liked something popular? You are part of the herd. You like something new and unpopular? Cult of the new.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:56 PM   #992
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
MCU officially made the worst Spider-Man on film. A lot of the damage that happens in the movie is his fault, and he doesn't take responsibility or learn from it. He also steals stuff, and his task in the movie is to stop a guy from stealing.
Couldn't be any worse than the third film with Tobey McGuire. Not much gets worse than that.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #993
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Amazing Spider-Man 2 would like to have a word with you.

Shame, because it has the best Spider-Man suit in all the movies.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:07 PM   #994
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post

Ah, I did myself a favor and skipped it entirely. Good thing, I guess.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:13 PM   #995
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Couldn't be any worse than the third film with Tobey McGuire. Not much gets worse than that.
That movie is pretty good actually, it has some obvious issues, but it's not something I wish never happened.

Quote:

I like that one, I think it's rather underrated. Sure it has bigger issues than Spider-Man 3, but I think it's halfway decent.

Anyway, I was not tackling the quality of the films, I was tackling the quality of the protagonist instead.

YOUTUBE

Old 10-13-2017, 08:07 PM   #996
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ah, I did myself a favor and skipped it entirely. Good thing, I guess.
When that thing was over it was a borderline religious experience.

Like..I didn't think superhero movies could be that bad-and I saw the second Fantastic Four movie in theaters.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:10 PM   #997
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
When that thing was over it was a borderline religious experience.

Like..I didn't think superhero movies could be that bad-and I saw the second Fantastic Four movie in theaters.
Lol, the Silver Surfer FF movie was the only one I liked.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:27 PM   #998
Joe Von Zombie
Unite the Seven

Quote:
this is precisely why I loved it. He was a stupid naive teenager and Holland played the part beautifully. It wasn't Spider-Man saves the world, it was Spider-Man tries to stop an arms dealer and doesn't do a particularly good job at it. It was refreshing to me.

There is a huge difference between "I want to honor my loved ones" and "I hate criminals, and want to punish them".

That difference is called "Batman".- The Guard
Old 10-13-2017, 09:17 PM   #999
Spider-Aziz
Death Match Taunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Von Zombie View Post
this is precisely why I loved it. He was a stupid naive teenager and Holland played the part beautifully. It wasn't Spider-Man saves the world, it was Spider-Man tries to stop an arms dealer and doesn't do a particularly good job at it. It was refreshing to me.
I appreciate that they lowered the scope the way they did, I appreciate that they've shown him prone to making rookie mistakes, but most of his mistakes stem from him being a fool in the worst way I can think of, and I don't like this take on the character.

YOUTUBE

Old 10-14-2017, 01:00 AM   #1000
Batmannerism
Super-unknown

Quote:
Well, I'd say he does learn.....a little.....maybe ?

But yeah, the new Spider-Man is a real screw up in comparison - I mean, remember the end of Spider Man when Tobey/Peter is getting his ass kicked by GG, and then the Goblin shoots his mouth off about MJ and Peter unleashes a case of whoop-ass !? Well, Tom Holland ain't there yet. Hell, even Andrew Garfield was much more competent in his first outing.

Have to say though, I kind of liked that - because it highlighted that despite his genius intellect, this version of Spider-Man still thought like a kid, and let's face it, he is just a kid.

Quote:
Yeah, I was pretty much on the same page. But I get why folks who are huge fans of the character may not have liked it - in the same way some Superman fans didn't like that Man of Steel involved enormous collateral damage and Superman stopped the villain by breaking his neck.

Last edited by Batmannerism; 10-14-2017 at 01:03 AM. Reason: l
Closed Thread