The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Old 10-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #101
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
What happened?
They lost to Trinidad and Tobago which put them out of qualification for the 2018 WC, which is weird because it's Trinidad and Tobago and also because a few other results went exactly the right way to prevent the US from qualifying.

DeadPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:59 AM   #102
Iceman
Infinity War!

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPresident View Post
They lost to Trinidad and Tobago which put them out of qualification for the 2018 WC, which is weird because it's Trinidad and Tobago and also because a few other results went exactly the right way to prevent the US from qualifying.
Oh right. Yeah best to try and tie things up before the very last game as Sod's law means the other results will turn out to be freakish just when you need them to be normal. It's a shame they won't be at the tournament.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #103
Lilbaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
That seems to have been settled, Neymar is now taking the penalties and they were all bro hugs and high fives the other night.

I'd have been happy for us to have paid £150M for Neymar.

So better the devil you don't know than the devil you do?

Yes, you're not likely to get a more experienced high end manager, especially one that was willing to go down a division, funding him is the smart move if you want to breajk into the top 6.

Apparently Southgate wants to use a 3-4-3 at he World Cup to compensate for the lack of creativity in midfield, but I am hoping Wilshire can find his form and fitness by then as he has the potential to add that quality at CM.

Winks in for wilshire and lallana for either rashford or dele to give some creativity.

Lilbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #104
Iceman
Infinity War!

At least there are a good few young players there who have potential for the future.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #105
Lilbaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
At least there are a good few young players there who have potential for the future.
They'll have to do well because we have got some great players coming through in the next few years.
Sessegnon, sancho, tob just to name a few. The young english teams have done fantastic winning euro's and world cups. Hope they can fulfill that promise.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #106
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbaz View Post
They'll have to do well because we have got some great players coming through in the next few years.
Sessegnon, sancho, tob just to name a few. The young english teams have done fantastic winning euro's and world cups. Hope they can fulfill that promise.
Yes and Spurs are definitely doing their bit to help out the national side. All this does actually make me think there is even a tiny chance I may pay attention to the odd international weekend every now and then if they all develop to their potential.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #107
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I do feel bad for Pulisic. He was busting his ass all qualifying and doesn't walk around with the arrogance and self-importance the majority of these players do.
Pulisic has a fantastic mentailty as seen by the fact he's forced his way into being a starter for Dortmund at 19, noy many young players achieve that outside of a country where they speak the language.

Quote:
Saw that. Great contribution, but true haha.

Oh yeah shame, that means a lot less coverage too.
He put Argentina on his back without a doubt, he's an amazing player it's just the overbearing nut nuzzling that is nauseating.

The US not being there will definitely damage interest at a time when their best talent ever is coming through.

Quote:
I'm still a bit dubious on Wilshere being the future for England. We've got some individual potential in the team (particularly up front). Would be great if Kane and Rashford could develop a good partnership.
Wilshire would need to prove his fitness over the next 9 months for sure, I just think he's the only English CM to come through in a while that has come through in a while to have some real quality on the ball.

Quote:
Winks in for wilshire and lallana for either rashford or dele to give some creativity.
Much like Wilshire needs to prove his fitness I think Winks needs more regular game time at club level before he's a starter. I don't think Southgate will break up the Kane/Dele combo so it would be Lallana in for Rashford.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:10 PM   #108
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Wenger just keeps Wengering...

http://www.espnfc.us/story/3227245/a...-go-in-january

Quote:
LONDON -- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could cash in on Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez by selling them in January if there has not been a breakthrough in contract talks before then.

Sanchez and Ozil have both entered the final year of their contracts and Wenger told his news conference on Thursday morning it is "possible" they could be sold during the winter transfer window.

When asked whether he would contemplate a January sale, Wenger said: "Once you're in our kind of situation, you envisage every solution, yes. It's possible."

Sources told ESPN FC last month that Manchester City would consider reviving their interest in Sanchez in January, while a source told ESPN FC this week that Arsenal have yet to reopen talks over a contract extension with Ozil, although the Germany international remains open to a stay.

Wenger confirmed that the club is nowhere close to a deal with Ozil but remained hopeful that both he and Sanchez will still sign extensions.

"I always said that the fact that we didn't find an agreement last year doesn't mean that the player will necessarily leave -- because both players look happy here," he said. "Overall I hope that the situation can be turned around."

Ozil is back in team training this week after a knee inflammation and is available for Saturday's Premier League game at Watford, while Sanchez will not be back at the club until Friday after returning late from Chile's World Cup qualifier against Brazil.

Sanchez will be dealing with both fatigue and the disappointment of missing out on next summer's tournament in Russia, and Wenger said he will have to gauge the player's physical and mental state before deciding whether to play him at Watford.

"I will have to speak to him," Wenger said. "It was a very physical game [against Brazil]. Mentally I will have to assess the situation when he comes back tomorrow."

Old 10-12-2017, 05:06 PM   #109
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

I don't really watch England too much, but didn't Alli start out as a CM? I know because of his ability and return in front of goal he's been pushed further up for Spurs but could he play the position?

Old 10-13-2017, 05:47 AM   #110
Lilbaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't really watch England too much, but didn't Alli start out as a CM? I know because of his ability and return in front of goal he's been pushed further up for Spurs but could he play the position?
I think the weaknesses to his game means that other players would be better in the cm role. He's only 21 though.
Many spurs fans were picking winks ahead of dembele before they both suffered injuries. Think he will get plenty of starts now he's back. Poch even called him his little iniesta.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:02 AM   #111
Lilbaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Pulisic has a fantastic mentailty as seen by the fact he's forced his way into being a starter for Dortmund at 19, noy many young players achieve that outside of a country where they speak the language.

He put Argentina on his back without a doubt, he's an amazing player it's just the overbearing nut nuzzling that is nauseating.

The US not being there will definitely damage interest at a time when their best talent ever is coming through.

Wilshire would need to prove his fitness over the next 9 months for sure, I just think he's the only English CM to come through in a while that has come through in a while to have some real quality on the ball.

Much like Wilshire needs to prove his fitness I think Winks needs more regular game time at club level before he's a starter. I don't think Southgate will break up the Kane/Dele combo so it would be Lallana in for Rashford.
Just think if we want to get the best out of these guys we need someone creative in the final third. Quick feet that can control the tempo as eriksen does for spurs.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:10 AM   #112
Lilbaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes and Spurs are definitely doing their bit to help out the national side. All this does actually make me think there is even a tiny chance I may pay attention to the odd international weekend every now and then if they all develop to their potential.
The next few years will be a lot of players that have come through chelsea and city ranks (if they are given a chance somewhere). Liverpool have a couple as well.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:05 AM   #113
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think the weaknesses to his game means that other players would be better in the cm role. He's only 21 though.
Many spurs fans were picking winks ahead of dembele before they both suffered injuries. Think he will get plenty of starts now he's back. Poch even called him his little iniesta.
Yeah, Alli seems like he enjoys the freedom of being a forward, he'd have to be a lot more positionally disciplined to be a good CM. I haven't seen much of Winks but I'll keep an eye out for him, England seem to have a few midfield talents but none that are as well-rounded as other world class players yet. Is Winks quite balanced, in terms of attacking and defensive qualities?

Old 10-13-2017, 10:52 AM   #114
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Yeah, Alli seems like he enjoys the freedom of being a forward, he'd have to be a lot more positionally disciplined to be a good CM. I haven't seen much of Winks but I'll keep an eye out for him, England seem to have a few midfield talents but none that are as well-rounded as other world class players yet. Is Winks quite balanced, in terms of attacking and defensive qualities?
How good a finisher is Alli?

Old 10-13-2017, 10:59 AM   #115
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
The next few years will be a lot of players that have come through chelsea and city ranks (if they are given a chance somewhere). Liverpool have a couple as well.
Oh right. My knowledge of this stuff is lacking. Do you think we might be a competitive team when they all mature?

Old 10-13-2017, 12:17 PM   #116
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Just think if we want to get the best out of these guys we need someone creative in the final third. Quick feet that can control the tempo as eriksen does for spurs.
Given his size and how Pochettino described him, would he not fit better in behind the 2 forwards in a 3-4-3?

Old 10-13-2017, 01:02 PM   #117
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
Yeah. I blame the people doing it though more than him.

Quote:
I didn't realise they had their best talent coming through now. That's a real shame then.

Quote:
He has some nice skills on the ball. I guess I find it hard to take him seriously with him rarely making an impact over a long period of time. He seems to get pictured smoking in swimming pools as often as I hear about him doing anything noteworthy with a football lol.

Last edited by Iceman; 10-13-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #118
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Quote:
How good a finisher is Alli?
He’s pretty good, has a good eye for runs/positioning and solid technique too.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:42 PM   #119
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
He’s pretty good, has a good eye for runs/positioning and solid technique too.
Sounds like he has a fair amount of potential for exactly what type of player he chooses to develop into over the next few years.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #120
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Yeah, exactly. He has the ability to influence his development, and I'm sure he can reach a really high level.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #121
Iceman
Infinity War!

Wonder whether he'll be at Spurs all his career.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #122
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

It's a good question, I think all players that become big at those clubs that are just below the truly world class clubs will have some kind of itch to join a club along the lines of Manchester United/Real Madrid/Barcelona.

That said, Spurs are on an upward trajectory and they've done brilliantly to hold onto the likes of Kane and Alli so far, they could continue and become top 4 mainstays which would surely encourage a lot of their stars to stay.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:19 PM   #123
TheCommissioner
Side-Kick

Arenas should have been fired right after the game and left on the tarmac

Lane Kiffin style

US Soccer has many issues, Arenas is just the beginning

- Joe Kuharich
TheCommissioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:12 AM   #124
Iceman
Infinity War!

Quote:
It's a good question, I think all players that become big at those clubs that are just below the truly world class clubs will have some kind of itch to join a club along the lines of Manchester United/Real Madrid/Barcelona.

That said, Spurs are on an upward trajectory and they've done brilliantly to hold onto the likes of Kane and Alli so far, they could continue and become top 4 mainstays which would surely encourage a lot of their stars to stay.
Yeah if that happens they'd be able to hold on to players much more easily. It is going to be hard for PL clubs (particularly Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs) to reliably qualify for the CL every year if City, Chelsea and Utd keep up their levels of investment every year and even for those 3 clubs it will never be guaranteed long term like it more or less is for the likes of Real, Barca and Bayern. But I reckon the PL is probably a fun league to play in with loads of big games every season so that's one advantage.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:31 AM   #125
BlackFox
Covert Operator

BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote