The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Old 12-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #576
Randal Graves
Side-Kick

Default Re: ** Metal ** The Thread! II

I think the new Marilyn Manson song "Deep Six" is really good. Probably his best single in years. Tyler Bates' production has really helped him.

Randal Graves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #577
Matt Mortem
Everything is Boring

Yeah I'm really looking forward to Manson's new album. I liked that song he had in John Wick too.

Matt Mortem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:51 PM   #578
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Suns of the Tundra have a kickstarter going for the physical release of their new album "Bones of Brave Ships" (April 2015). If you like them, support them!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rave?ref=video

Gay Perry- Ambiguous. No, no, I don't think so.
Harry- No, I think what he means is that when you say "Picture it inside your head" okay is that that a bullet will be inside your head. Or picture it in your head, like form an image...

Last edited by Moridin; 12-31-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:15 PM   #579
horrorwriter
Bad Moon Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Graves View Post
I think the new Marilyn Manson song "Deep Six" is really good. Probably his best single in years. Tyler Bates' production has really helped him.
Agreed

Old 02-25-2015, 01:20 PM   #580
Matt Mortem
Everything is Boring

Anybody hear the new All That Remains? What a disappointment that band has become. Now it's all radio friendly ballads.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #581
Travesty
TEOL

I was never a huge fan of them. I always found the singer to sound a bit too radio friendly, for a band that loves their double bass and crazy guitar solos.

Travesty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:42 PM   #582
Matt Mortem
Everything is Boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
I was never a huge fan of them. I always found the singer to sound a bit too radio friendly, for a band that loves their double bass and crazy guitar solos.
Their early stuff was pretty good, but they just more and more watered down as they went on. The new album is just terrible.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:26 AM   #583
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Update on the progress of Tool's new album, from their webmaster Blair:

Quote:
Which takes us to the big question: What's going on with the new Tool record? As I have said repeatedly, the band is currently in the writing/arranging process. Based on things that I've heard, I would hazard a guess that SEVERAL songs are now developed enough to have vocals added. At least one of these songs is quite lengthy, and took a very long time to finish. In theory, the others should go faster, but who knows what obstacles might await? Obviously there is still a lot of work to be done. Accordingly, you will be updated on any major progress and NOT hear about the band tracking the next record by some chance meeting in a recording studio.

Now that these other things have (hopefully) been put to rest, let's see about any current news. The first item would be that the members of the band will be taking a break from their writing/arranging sessions next week WHILE Aaron Harris ("ISIS", PALMS") sets up an area in the Loft for Maynard to be able to work on vocal melodies as the others play (loudly) their completed tunes. In that there is a lot of equipment to be moved and reorganized, it will take at least a few days to set up Maynard's 'station' in the adjoining room. Admittedly, this is exciting news, but let's not jump to any hasty conclusions...

And from MAYNARD himself:
Quote:
I've been making regular trips to LA to check on the writing progress of my Tool brethren. Things a progressing nicely. Slowly, but definitely progressing. Nothing is recorded yet, but the guys are confident that the pieces are coming together swimmingly and will be ready for me to begin writing melodies and content 'soon'. I'm as anxious to get this album completed as everyone else. But as history will show, you can't rush these gents. Patience is Gold in this Sound Mine. In the meantime, as always, other things are simultaneously occurring. Life is too short not to create something with every breath we draw.

Anyone who follows Tool closely enough should know that once Maynard joins the show things are damn near finished, & MJK himself works fast. If they hit the studio by May/June they could release the album by the end of the year.

Harry- No, I think what he means is that when you say "Picture it inside your head" okay is that that a bullet will be inside your head. Or picture it in your head, like form an image...
Old 02-27-2015, 09:36 AM   #584
Travesty
TEOL

I'm done caring about Tool. Every-single-year you'll read articles saying the EXACT same thing. It's always, "we're working hard in the studio. We're finishing up some songs I think you'll all like. Maynard is now working on the lyrics, blah, blah, blah". Adam Jones always says the songs are looking good, and Maynard always says some songs are complete and he's in the studio writing lyrics. I've heard them on podcasts, live interviews, articles, etc. They all say the same thing!

I seriously think 10,000 Days was their last album, and they've been trolling their fans all this time. What else explains these same answers every year?

Old 02-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #585
Matt Mortem
Everything is Boring

I love me some Tool, but I'll get excited when I actually hear some new tunes. If this piece of news means they're legit getting stuff done that's great, but it's been sooooo long.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:25 PM   #586
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
I'm done caring about Tool. Every-single-year you'll read articles saying the EXACT same thing. It's always, "we're working hard in the studio. We're finishing up some songs I think you'll all like. Maynard is now working on the lyrics, blah, blah, blah". Adam Jones always says the songs are looking good, and Maynard always says some songs are complete and he's in the studio writing lyrics. I've heard them on podcasts, live interviews, articles, etc. They all say the same thing!

I seriously think 10,000 Days was their last album, and they've been trolling their fans all this time. What else explains these same answers every year?
I completely agree. It's a freaking joke. How many years in a row have we heard things like, "We're in the writing process...we've got some good ideas floating around." Or, "We just finished a song, it's really heavy!"

Bands have gone and hiatus and reunited in the time between Tool albums.

The funny thing is, as proggy as Tool are, their music is really not THAT complex. If it's taking them this long to write an album it's due to either laziness/poor work ethic or just overthinking it. Either way this album is close to reaching Chinese Democracy status. If the music comes out and is good, then great, but until then I can't take anything they say seriously.

BatLobsterRises is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:03 PM   #587
Matt Mortem
Everything is Boring

Maynard spends 90% of his time in my hometown doing his wine and stuff. He's always there. Tool is definitely not his priority. Hell, he's not even doing A Perfect Circle despite Billy Howerdel saying he's got close to an album worth of new material for A Perfect Circle album. It's just wine and Puscifer remix albums.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:35 PM   #588
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
I'm done caring about Tool. Every-single-year you'll read articles saying the EXACT same thing.
This isn't random "articles", it's straight forward, crystal clear updates directly from the horses mouth that they're near the end of the writing process.

Quote:
It's always, "we're working hard in the studio. We're finishing up some songs I think you'll all like. Maynard is now working on the lyrics, blah, blah, blah".
In between plenty of updates that they were taking breaks from writing or touring, yes, Jones & Carey delivered the status quo of "we're writing, it's coming along fine", but up until last year no one said anything about MJK working on lyrics (which he initially does by himself in his pickup truck while listening to demos) or songs being close to finished.

MJK even said early last year that they hadn't given him music.

The first update we got of MJK actually being at The Loft was last October. (Along with the hashtag #smokeonthehorizon)

Quote:
Adam Jones always says the songs are looking good, and Maynard always says some songs are complete and he's in the studio writing lyrics. I've heard them on podcasts, live interviews, articles, etc. They all say the same thing!
I think you're mixing up Danny with Maynard. MJK has absolutely never said the songs were complete, like, at all, infact for the past 8 years he pretty much avoided talking/flat out refused to talk about Tool at all. Interviewers were given strict instructions to not even bring up Tool because he wouldn't answer those questions, and that's because he had nothing to report on that front.

This time last year when a joke from Adam about it being "100% done, coming out tomorrow" was picked up by news outlets as being real, MJK immediately jumped on twitter to correct them, saying it "isn't close to being done".

Again a few weeks ago when Adam posted the video of him at a studio with Motorhead saying they were "workin' on tunes" and people took it to mean they were recording, MJK was on twitter saying people were "#gullible".

MJK has continually been the most frank out of all of them.

So getting a straightforward post from MJK himself being positive about starting his process with the whole band, - combined with the Newsletter saying (again straightforward when it's usually all riddles & obfuscation) they're taking a few days to install a vocal booth in The Loft for MJK to work his magic to the other playing "several finished songs" is pretty ***king huge.

Quote:
They've been writing on and off since 2008 or so. They've also been entangled in lawsuits since the mid '00's (detailed here), which they finally came out & started talking about last year, Adam saying it majorly interfered with their creative process and that's why it's taking so long. Those lawsuits are now done and dusted (with the last being finished last month apparently), so it's no coincidence that we're seeing major movement on the album now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
Maynard spends 90% of his time in my hometown doing his wine and stuff. He's always there. Tool is definitely not his priority. Hell, he's not even doing A Perfect Circle despite Billy Howerdel saying he's got close to an album worth of new material for A Perfect Circle album. It's just wine and Puscifer remix albums.
It's easy to accuse MJK of being the reason Tool haven't released anything in so long, since he is the most visibly active member of the band and "the frontman". But the reality is he doesn't write the music for Tool (like the "frontmen" of so many other bands do). Danny, Adam & Justin write the music; MJK writes the lyrics & vocal melodies, but he can only do that if the other 3 give him music, but they won't do that until they're worked it up to their standard, which hasn't happened until last year).

As I said above, the lawsuits have really held "the other 3" back in writing, is MJK just supposed to sit on his hands doing nothing while he waits for them to get a wriggle on? Or, being the creative guy that he is, does he find other outlets to express himself?

The entire reason APC even exists is because he was tired of waiting around for Tool to write new stuff after Ænima. When Tool needs his attention Tool will have his attention.

Again, MJK is always the last piece of the puzzle & he is always the fastest worker of all of them, we have direct confirmation that he is now going to be jamming with the others in a new vocal booth they're currently installing. We've never had solid info like that before, point blank.

8 years of avoiding talking about Tool and now he posts a clear, concise, positive update.

This is the real deal.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:55 PM   #589
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
This isn't random "articles", it's straight forward, crystal clear updates directly from the horses mouth that they're near the end of the writing process.
Dude, I know all about what you're saying. I know about the lawsuits and the thousands of other things I've read throughout the years, that they've told us why the album is delayed. I've also heard them say directly in live interviews or podcasts about this and that. I think it was on the WTF podcast about 2 years ago where Maynard said the guys were giving him some songs, and that he was writing lyrics to them in his Jeep. Then 6-7 months after that, he goes on the JRE podcast, and says he was just in the studio listening to what the guys came up with, and that they're still working on the album. Now we got a tweet from him basically saying the exact same thing. All they ever say is, "we're working on the songs in the studio, nothing is finished". Seriously, what did he say, that I haven't heard Maynard or Adam say a thousand times already? You're acting like this is the first update from Maynard on this. It's not, he's basically given us the exact same response for years. Go and look up past articles from 2010-2015. They all say the same thing, "we're working the album. It's coming along. Hopefully this year. It'll be soon, etc etc".

And the hold up is mainly on Adam more than anybody in the band. Maynard laid out the structure. He said it all start with Adam. Once Adam feels like he has something, then Danny and Justin comes in and writes around Adam, then they give it to Maynard, then they retool it, then they lay down the tracks and record. Right now, it sounds like Maynard doesn't even have lyrics for it. He just came out of the studio and heard some stuff that they came up with, like he's told us before. Again, this is nothing new. He even says "soon" in quotes, meaning...well, nothing really. Cause "soon" could be 3-5 years from now. If this album comes out in late 2016, I would be surprised.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:04 AM   #590
Zantera
Side-Kick

Tool is basically the Boyhood of music

Zantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #591
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Hahaha.

Yeah, I'd honestly be shocked (but pleasantly surprised) if anything sees the light of day this year or even early next year. You always have to add mixing, mastering, promotion, packaging, etc. to the album release cycle too.

At this point there's no way you can tell me having low expectations is a bad thing.

BatLobsterRises is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:57 PM   #592
Travesty
TEOL

Talking about Tool again, one of my friends just sent this to me, and I couldn't help but laugh. It's a youtube video with tons and tons of articles that are dated from the band, and they all say very similar things. The articles start around 2010, but once you get about 5 min into the video, you see articles saying, "we're working hard on it, it should be out by 2011", and so on and so on. Every year it gets bumped, they say the same thing, "oh, we're working hard on it, should be out in 2012", etc.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 03-24-2015, 05:40 AM   #593
Zantera
Side-Kick

At this point I probably wouldn't even believe it, even if I held their new album in my hands, packaged and done. I would still expect it to be a joke, or some bootleg.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #594
Halloween
Side-Kick

Any Ghost BC fans? Looking forward to the new album this year.

Quick live opening song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xz6pY5-76U

Full show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLboFE8hK9o

Monstrance Clock official video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxr5sKyK8ys

Year Zero official video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkBt7yLXyDk

Halloween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:23 PM   #595
Godzilla2000
Banned User

Asrai, great Gothic Metal group, check them out.

Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:20 AM   #596
Matt Mortem
Everything is Boring

Y'all hear the new Slayer? Bit slower tempo than I think we're used to hearing from them, but I dig the song. This new album is gonna be very interesting.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:38 AM   #597
Zantera
Side-Kick

Incredibly happy that I got to see Kayo Dot live a few days ago, first time they played in my country, and I just love them. Would probably put them up there among my top10 bands. They aren't just metal, but they combine so many influences that it makes the result really awesome.

I highly recommend Choirs of the Eye, which is IMO their best album. It's partly metal but also pretty quiet at times, and I would also recommend their album Hubardo, which has a few more metal songs.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:13 PM   #598
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Suns of the Tundra's new album Bones of Brave Ships is out now. Streaming on the likes of Deezer, Spotify, etc, it's up on iTunes, full album here on Youtube.

Here's a few of my favourite songs so far:
Serenity in Motion
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Endurance
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Restless (Listen to the Clock)
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!: