The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Arrow

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
DalekbusterFitz
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 659
Default "YOU LIED TO ME!" - Shut up, Thea!

I have been watching Arrow on Amazon Prime recently and whilst I've been enjoying it, I find it really irritating whenever Thea has a go at anyone for lying.

Why the heck does she have such a strong hatred for lies? Does she expect everyone to walk around telling the absolute truth about everything?

Perhaps Thea should have Laurel's job? She'd make a great lawyer.

Does anyone else find Thea's constant moans about others lying annoying?

DalekbusterFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:49 PM   #2
2kt09
Here 'N' There
 
2kt09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 7,352
Default Re: "YOU LIED TO ME!" - Shut up, Thea!

Pretty much everyone was keeping dirty "little" secrets from her simply because she was the youngest & most innocent one around.

__________________
Make Marvel Animation Great Again
Cook and Weisman's The Spectacular Spider-Man is to cbtv what Singer's X-Men were to cbm's
MCU_________DCU___________X-MU
Whedon-----Guggenheim_____Kinberg
Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:51 PM   #3
DalekbusterFitz
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 659
Default Re: "YOU LIED TO ME!" - Shut up, Thea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kt09 View Post
Pretty much everyone was keeping dirty "little" secrets from her simply because she was the youngest & most innocent one around.
They were keeping secrets for a reason though, and people do it all the time. It's a fact of life.

Also: when she gets training from Malcolm Merlyn, what's the first thing she does? Keeps it a secret!

DalekbusterFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:58 PM   #4
2kt09
Here 'N' There
 
2kt09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 7,352
Default Re: "YOU LIED TO ME!" - Shut up, Thea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalekbusterFitz View Post
They were keeping secrets for a reason though, and people do it all the time. It's a fact of life.

Also: when she gets training from Malcolm Merlyn, what's the first thing she does? Keeps it a secret!
Tit for tat. She even becomes more rebellious after all the stuff that went down.
Only made sense for her to then go on a more prolonged crazy post-resurrection.

__________________
Make Marvel Animation Great Again
Cook and Weisman's The Spectacular Spider-Man is to cbtv what Singer's X-Men were to cbm's
MCU_________DCU___________X-MU
Whedon-----Guggenheim_____Kinberg
Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
2kt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:33 PM   #5
Jedi Arrow
Vigilant Knight
 
Jedi Arrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 985
Default Re: "YOU LIED TO ME!" - Shut up, Thea!

It's a character arc. She grows out of it. Is it annoying? Yes. But if characters didn't grow, they'd be boring. Personally, I think Arrow does a great job of evolving its characters over time, and Thea's one of them, for the very reason you've mentioned. Her hatred for lying turned into her keeping secrets herself, and eventually she comes full circle and is, to be frank, one of the more mature characters in the show at this point.

__________________
"My name is Oliver Queen and..."
"I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

"I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!"
Jedi Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:07 PM   #6
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream
 
Primal Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 19,826
Default Re: "YOU LIED TO ME!" - Shut up, Thea!

I was fine with her. If you are going to lie then don't get caught, those people got caught and Thea was a teen who lost her brother, lost her father, estranged from her mother, girl has trust issues and for good reason.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:46 AM   #7
DalekbusterFitz
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 659
Default Re: "YOU LIED TO ME!" - Shut up, Thea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Arrow View Post
It's a character arc. She grows out of it. Is it annoying? Yes. But if characters didn't grow, they'd be boring. Personally, I think Arrow does a great job of evolving its characters over time, and Thea's one of them, for the very reason you've mentioned. Her hatred for lying turned into her keeping secrets herself, and eventually she comes full circle and is, to be frank, one of the more mature characters in the show at this point.
I think the problem is that the way it's done, it's very 'on the nose'. It needed to be more subtle, rather than Thea complaining nearly every episode of people lying to her.

DalekbusterFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:23 PM   #8
Jedi Arrow
Vigilant Knight
 
Jedi Arrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 985
Default Re: "YOU LIED TO ME!" - Shut up, Thea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalekbusterFitz View Post
I think the problem is that the way it's done, it's very 'on the nose'. It needed to be more subtle, rather than Thea complaining nearly every episode of people lying to her.
She was a 19-year-old at the time. Teenagers do not tend to be subtle, they tend to be on the nose, and they tend to complain a lot, especially when they think they're being treated unfairly (i.e. being lied to). So I found it to be fairly realistic.

__________________
"My name is Oliver Queen and..."
"I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

"I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!"
Jedi Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:51 AM   #9
Babillygunn
Tag team champion
 
Babillygunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 670
Default Re: "YOU LIED TO ME!" - Shut up, Thea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Arrow View Post
She was a 19-year-old at the time. Teenagers do not tend to be subtle, they tend to be on the nose, and they tend to complain a lot, especially when they think they're being treated unfairly (i.e. being lied to). So I found it to be fairly realistic.
To your point, when Ollie finally tells Thea he's the Arrow, her reaction was perfect. It showed that she had grown and matured.

__________________
"We’re pinched for sure."
“Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive.”
Babillygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:15 AM   #10
Avenging Angel
I'm Fire! Life incarnate!
 
Avenging Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Centerport, NY
Posts: 2,144
Default Re: "YOU LIED TO ME!" - Shut up, Thea!

It's angst for the character. It can't be any worse than Felicity's persona.

Avenging Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:58 AM   #11
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themyscira
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tanned and young and lovely
Posts: 43,327
Default Re: "YOU LIED TO ME!" - Shut up, Thea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalekbusterFitz View Post
I have been watching Arrow on Amazon Prime recently and whilst I've been enjoying it, I find it really irritating whenever Thea has a go at anyone for lying.

Why the heck does she have such a strong hatred for lies? Does she expect everyone to walk around telling the absolute truth about everything?

Perhaps Thea should have Laurel's job? She'd make a great lawyer.

Does anyone else find Thea's constant moans about others lying annoying?
You think Thea is bad? She's a walk in the park compared to Felicity's melodramatics whenever someone has lied. Felicity is excruciating to watch. I don't know how far you've gotten through the series, but Felicity is the absolute pits to watch, especially in seasons 3 and 4.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:00 PM   #12
Stroller 10
New User - Level 0
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1
Default Re: "YOU LIED TO ME!" - Shut up, Thea!

I don't know what season you are on, but Thea was really whiny at the start of the series..

Stroller 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2018 All Rights Reserved.